Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 22/4/2013 10:53:25 AM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah
I thought Green Lantern was a good example. People complained Superman Returns was a character piece and wanted a popcorn movie instead. We got Green Lantern which is just that and forgettable.

People still want a great story and an involving emotional experience, but it just needs a bit of edge, a bit of 'something'....which it looks as if Snyder has brought in Spades. It's not all about action, it's about all-over awesomness!!

Epic action is all well and good but in a few year's time that action will not be the thing that draws people back to the film. It will be the story and the characters. The action is just a bonus.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 22/4/2013 10:58:31 AM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 2731
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 22/4/2013 12:33:06 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

The Reeve films were mostly complete shit.

Mostly? Surely they were 50% shit?

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2732
Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 22/4/2013 12:34:51 PM   
Alistair

I don't think much of Superman 2, personally. So yes, mostly.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 2733
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 22/4/2013 3:15:51 PM   
Cool Breeze

Superman 2 is fantastic ( both versions ).Even today that city battle between Supes and the three evil Kryptonians still holds up.

Superman 3 and 4 are not great but i still find them to be a guilty pleasure.Its Returns that was complete shit.

Glad that people are comng round to the fact that the Williams themes will not be used.It be ridiculous to use them as MOS is a complete reboot of the franchise so a new musical voice is needed.If that is indeed some of Zimmers score in the new trailer then it sounds like it will be a very special soundtrack indeed.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2734
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 22/4/2013 3:28:02 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Superman 2 is fantastic ( both versions ).Even today that city battle between Supes and the three evil Kryptonians still holds up.

I shall agree to disagree on that one. I recently watched Superman 2 and just didn't like it. There are elements of it that are great, for sure. But as a complete film I just donít think itís very good at all. I havenít seen the Donner cut though.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 2735
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 23/4/2013 11:15:35 AM   
Artoo

quote:

Superman 3 and 4 are not great but i still find them to be a guilty pleasure.Its Returns that was complete shit.

Glad that people are comng round to the fact that the Williams themes will not be used.It be ridiculous to use them as MOS is a complete reboot of the franchise so a new musical voice is needed.If that is indeed some of Zimmers score in the new trailer then it sounds like it will be a very special soundtrack indeed.

I love the theatrical cut of Superman 2 but the Donner version is I'm afraid to say, absolute complete and utter bollocks!

***SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE DONNER CUT!!***

So, we go though all of that with Zod and the battles and the Superman falling in love, telling Lois about who he is, losing his powers and then regaining them etc, only for Superman to rewind time at the end so Zod never actually escaped the phantom Zone in the first place! Clark and Lois never went to Niagara and he never told her about who he is! He never lost his powers and America was never really in any danger!! This is what I can only describe as a major cop-out of epic proportions and I'm not surprised the studio sacked him and had the majority of the last half redone!

Man of Steel looks awesome though, and I have high hopes for the score also! I still think they should've given Zod the token English baddies accent though and had him say "Kneel before Zod"! I'll miss that more than the Williams theme!

< Message edited by Artoo -- 23/4/2013 11:19:26 AM >

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

Post #: 2736
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 23/4/2013 11:42:24 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

I love the theatrical cut of Superman 2 but the Donner version is I'm afraid to say, absolute complete and utter bollocks!

So, we go though all of that with Zod and the battles and the Superman falling in love, telling Lois about who he is, losing his powers and then regaining them etc, only for Superman to (edit: highlight to read, in case someone avoiding the original reads this!) rewind time at the end so Zod never actually escaped the phantom Zone in the first place! Clark and Lois never went to Niagara and he never told her about who he is! He never lost his powers and America was never really in any danger!! This is what I can only describe as a major cop-out of epic proportions and I'm not surprised the studio sacked him and had the majority of the last half redone!

Man of Steel looks awesome though, and I have high hopes for the score also! I still think they should've given Zod the token English baddies accent though and had him say "Kneel before Zod"! I'll miss that more than the Williams theme!

To be fair that criticism can rightly be levelled at the first film since (highlight to read)...as is commonly known, the whole travelling back in time thing was originally intended to be the end of Superman 2, but got annexed for Superman to give it an ending. It's basically an annoying ending no matter which film it's in!

I'm with you on Man of Steel though - from the (nicely restrained) trailers, it looks like it could be something special. The Snyder-factor still concerns me but not as much as before.

< Message edited by FoximusPrime -- 23/4/2013 11:43:53 AM >

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 2737
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 23/4/2013 6:05:41 PM   
Geldart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3VnG8ncyGY&feature=youtu.be ok i got bored lol

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2738
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 24/4/2013 12:40:23 PM   
spark1

'i asked you to kill superman-and you couldn't do that one simple thing!'
'we all have our faults-mine's in california!'

(in reply to Geldart)
Post #: 2739
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 24/4/2013 3:10:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

So, we go though all of that with Zod and the battles and the Superman falling in love, telling Lois about who he is, losing his powers and then regaining them etc, only for Superman to rewind time at the end so Zod never actually escaped the phantom Zone in the first place! Clark and Lois never went to Niagara and he never told her about who he is! He never lost his powers and America was never really in any danger!! This is what I can only describe as a major cop-out of epic proportions and I'm not surprised the studio sacked him and had the majority of the last half redone!

Again, the problem with that is it would be a callback to the Donner/Reeve era of Superman films.Man Of Steel is a fresh new take on the character that is trying to be its own thing.This is why Snyders approach to MOS is that '' There are NO other Superman films '' which is a similar tack that Nolan employed when making Batman Begins.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 2740
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 24/4/2013 3:24:51 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Again, the problem with that is it would be a callback to the Donner/Reeve era of Superman films.Man Of Steel is a fresh new take on the character that is trying to be its own thing.This is why Snyders approach to MOS is that '' There are NO other Superman films '' which is a similar tack that Nolan employed when making Batman Begins.

yet both Zacks MOS and Nolans BM are full of the same imagery and scenes as their predecessors! so in that vain, why not just keep the musical score that everyone knows as purely Superman. The main theme Williams score is as much Superman as the red cape! and I see no harm in maybe revamping it and Zimmer would still have been credited with a revamp and the rest of an original MOS score :) Then again has anyone heard what is supposed to be Zimmers MAIN Superman theme music yet?

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 2741
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 24/4/2013 3:31:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

yet both Zacks MOS and Nolans BM are full of the same imagery and scenes as their predecessors! so in that vain, why not just keep the musical score that everyone knows as purely Superman. The main theme Williams score is as much Superman as the red cape! and I see no harm in maybe revamping it and Zimmer would still have been credited with a revamp and the rest of an original MOS score :) Then again has anyone heard what is supposed to be Zimmers MAIN Superman theme music yet?

Well it IS a Superman film so of course there are going to be certain visual similarities.You pretty much cant get away with making a Superman film without seeing him flying through the air for example.You havnt even seen the film yet so its a bit ridiculous to say that the film is FULL of the same imagery.

And every screen incarnation of Superman has had its own distinctive music.The Williams themes belong to the Reeve era, just as much as Shirley Walkers themes belong to the 90s animated series.As for Zimmers score, i beleive that is some of it in the latest trailer unless im mistaken.

And this film is not your dads Superman Dannybohy.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 24/4/2013 3:34:34 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2742
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 24/4/2013 4:46:53 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

quote:

as is commonly known, the whole travelling back in time thing was originally intended to be the end of Superman 2, but got annexed for Superman to give it an ending. It's basically an annoying ending no matter which film it's in!

It would be like using the traditional Bond theme in the rebooted Daniel Craig films ... wait a minute.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 2743
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 9:07:59 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

quote:

as is commonly known, the whole travelling back in time thing was originally intended to be the end of Superman 2, but got annexed for Superman to give it an ending. It's basically an annoying ending no matter which film it's in!

It would be like using the traditional Bond theme in the rebooted Daniel Craig films ... wait a minute.

Bingo!.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 2744
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 9:43:45 AM   
Dirk Miggler

The thing is those elements of Bond have been a staple of the franchise in its entirety, throughout its different incarnations/Bond era's those elements always remained a constant so why would it be dropped for the Craig era if not the Brosnan, Dalton etc. You could argue Skyfall had elements that hint at the Craig era being more of a prequel anyway and 50 years and 20+ movies doesn't really compare to the Superman franchise (6 films over 35 years) that only now in its sixth outing is it seeing a change in tone and direction.

Despite all this I suppose it all a matter of personal preference, personally I love Williams theme but understand the reasons why it has been dropped and have no issues with it.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2745
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 9:51:57 AM   
Artoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

So, we go though all of that with Zod and the battles and the Superman falling in love, telling Lois about who he is, losing his powers and then regaining them etc, only for Superman to (edit: highlight to read, in case someone avoiding the original reads this!) rewind time at the end so Zod never actually escaped the phantom Zone in the first place! Clark and Lois never went to Niagara and he never told her about who he is! He never lost his powers and America was never really in any danger!! This is what I can only describe as a major cop-out of epic proportions and I'm not surprised the studio sacked him and had the majority of the last half redone!

To be fair that criticism can rightly be levelled at the first film since (highlight to read)...as is commonly known, the whole travelling back in time thing was originally intended to be the end of Superman 2, but got annexed for Superman to give it an ending. It's basically an annoying ending no matter which film it's in!

I'm with you on Man of Steel though - from the (nicely restrained) trailers, it looks like it could be something special. The Snyder-factor still concerns me but not as much as before.

Yeah, the same thing was used in the first film except it was midway through it as opposed to being used as a way to end the film which kinda makes it different and a bit more paletable from my point of view. But, I do take your point that it's a dumbass thing for Superman to be able to do anyway. He plays a bad hand of poker, rewinds time and sticks instead of twists. He put's the pizza in the oven for 30 minutes as opposed to 20 and burns the fuck out of it so goes back in time puts it in again for 20mins this time. He's 10mins late for work because of the trains and gets a bollocking from his boss, so goes back in time and gets an earlier train to avoid the bollocking etc etc! Yeah I know none of that would happen but you get the point!!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 2746
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 11:00:13 AM   
MattTheBadger

I believe both those things were in Mike Leigh's Superman script treatment...

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 2747
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 11:07:40 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

Yeah, the same thing was used in the first film except it was midway through it as opposed to being used as a way to end the film which kinda makes it different and a bit more paletable from my point of view. But, I do take your point that it's a dumbass thing for Superman to be able to do anyway. He plays a bad hand of poker, rewinds time and sticks instead of twists. He put's the pizza in the oven for 30 minutes as opposed to 20 and burns the fuck out of it so goes back in time puts it in again for 20mins this time. He's 10mins late for work because of the trains and gets a bollocking from his boss, so goes back in time and gets an earlier train to avoid the bollocking etc etc! Yeah I know none of that would happen but you get the point!!

quote:

Despite all this I suppose it all a matter of personal preference, personally I love Williams theme but understand the reasons why it has been dropped and have no issues with it.

Believe me, all it takes is 20 minutes and 30 seconds for the pizza to be burned to fuck. Bastard things!

Superman is first and foremost a comic. The thing about comics is that there's no sound. So no, the score is not just as much Superman as anything else. It was used in five movie adaptations, but there have been multiple other adaptations from the 40's through to present day (seriously, the "Superman in other media" Wikipedia page is huge with that score nowhere to be heard. Those five films are just a small part of something much, much larger.

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 2748
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 12:29:27 PM   
MonsterCat

Just as long as they put the gun barrel in the right place, I'm fine with there being no Williams Superman theme.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2749
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 12:39:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Not fussed about the theme whatsoever myself. It's a good tune, pretty much the only thing I like from the original films, but this is a clean break and keeping the tune would confuse people.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 2750
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 12:58:29 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Not fussed about the theme whatsoever myself. It's a good tune, pretty much the only thing I like from the original films, but this is a clean break and keeping the tune would confuse people.

How would it confuse people?,if the theme was in a Batman film then fair-do's.

I'm all but certain the theme tune will be in the film somewhere,most likely the end and possibly re-done/edited (modernized ).

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 2751
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 1:09:09 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

How would it confuse people?,if the theme was in a Batman film then fair-do's.

I'm all but certain the theme tune will be in the film somewhere,most likely the end and possibly re-done/edited (modernized ).

It would suggest a connection to the continuity of the other movies when there is none.

It was hard enough convincing my mum of this when she insisted that Batman Begins was wrong because "Joker killed his parents!" without anything there actually suggesting they were connected. Actually connecting them by using Danny Elfman's theme would've made it a tough job even tougher.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 2752
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 4:18:17 PM   
Dannybohy

so, been watching the MOH trailers again and piecing together some bits and bobs!. Confirmed what I already guessed when we got first set photo of Russell/Jor El, that supes suit is his Dads under armour (nice).

Now, the FoS.. it looks like a buried spacecraft of some kind! so what do you guys think?...

Was its already there from a previous Kryptonian visit , maybe Jor El already visited which is why he knew to send kal to earth? (like Smallville TV series).
Is the spacecraft sent at the same time as Kal and maybe splits off into different pre-ordained locations.
Or is it not a ship and more a donnoresque grow your own fortress kit ?

I prefer the previous visit by Jor El approach myself.

Also pretty sure that the little \S/ key will actually power up the craft baby Kal landed in and actually transports him to the mothership buried in ice. I think the scene where you see a spacecraft on Kent farm, with his mother coming out of the house down the steps is this exact scene, showing Kal leaving his parents in the same ship that bought him to them. again...nice

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2753
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 7:54:36 PM   
vad3r

It's one of the most iconic themes in all of cinema. To not use it would serve as nothing more than an ego trip on Snyder's behalf. You might as well give Superman blonde hair like Bond and be done with it.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2754
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 8:39:31 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

It's one of the most iconic themes in all of cinema. To not use it would serve as nothing more than an ego trip on Snyder's behalf. You might as well give Superman blonde hair like Bond and be done with it.

C'mon, you don't really believe that every cinematic interpretation of a decades old comic book character, must have the John Williams theme, even if these interpretations exist in different continuities? Do you? C'mon, that's just dumb as fuck.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 2755
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 8:58:50 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: porntrooper

quote:

C'mon, you don't really believe that every cinematic interpretation of a decades old comic book character, must have the John Williams theme, even if these interpretations exist in different continuities? Do you? C'mon, that's just dumb as fuck.

My point is why try to reinvent the wheel, fix what isn't broken etc.

The Williams theme exists. Use it.

quote:

(in reply to porntrooper)
Post #: 2756
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 9:03:21 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

quote:

quote:

Now I just think you're taking the piss.

"I've got an idea for a special infiltration technique. It involves draining a man of his blood and replacing it with Tizer."

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 2757
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 9:08:26 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

?

Why spend millions of dollars, hire Hans Zimmer and dedicate an enormous amount of creative time, to better a theme for Superman which can't bettered?

I'm sure the fans and general public would love to hear that legendary theme in a new motion picture.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 25/4/2013 9:10:47 PM >

quote:

Post #: 2758
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 9:17:50 PM   
porntrooper

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

?

Why spend millions of dollars, hire Hans Zimmer and dedicate an enormous amount of creative time, to better a theme for Superman which can't bettered?

I'm sure the fans and general public would love to hear that legendary theme in a new motion picture.

Because that theme was written for a particular interpretaion of the character, in a film with a particular tone. This film doesnt appear to have a tone similar to the Reeve movies, so why should Snyder choose to be so lazy as to think a score written for a different movie was capable of fitting his particular interpretation? Movie music isn't just about dumping good or memorable themes on any old movie, it's a considered piece of the production that should match the on screen action, drama, tone and mood. Williams theme, as classic and superb as it is, isnt designed as a one size fits all piece of music. It wasnt written with Snyders movie in mind, it was written for Donner's, and the films that followed that kept continuity in tone and characterisation. Man Of Steel is keepin no continuity, so to think a three decodes old movie theme would be automatically suitable is ridiculous, and in my opinion shows contempt for the art of scoring movies.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 2759
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 25/4/2013 10:33:08 PM   
film man aidy

After being very disappointed at Iron Man 3, I'm really hoping this can deliver and be a real gamechanger. I feel like we have been waiting an age for this one, so please deliver on this one Mr Snyder. Should it turn out to be just another orgy of CG, and not much else, I think I'll renounce summer blockbusters for a while...

Post #: 2760
Page:   <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 Page: <<   < prev  90 91 [92] 93 94   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI