Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Future Superman Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Future Superman Films Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 1:52:09 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

I definitely think MoS will be a film you'll be able to take the kids to see, no doubt about that. Whether or not it is a film that kids will actually be entertained by I don't know.

To be perfectly honest it seems that all superhero films these days are marketed towards adults with the benefit of being able to take kids (i.e, the violence is minimal and mostly fantastical). TDKR was slightly different in that it was pretty brutal, although not explicit. I don't think there's a single drop of blood in any of Nolan's Batman films.

Well , they are entertained by a dead bird the cat has dragged in so you would think they would be easily pleased when it comes to movies!.

I swear , you should see my sons reaction if I hold up Superman Returns DVD and ask if we should put it on lol!!. Maybe I should film it! (yes, I own Superman Returns, its was £3 I have no other excuse! Brandon is still a great Superman mind you, I would love to have seen him have a second crack at it)

Avengers got it spot on!! so there is not excuses for not getting the balance right.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 31/1/2013 2:03:49 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2491
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 2:18:07 PM   
spark1

'superman-the movie' family viewing?!!?

what about the death of that cop or lois's agonising death?

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2492
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 2:22:23 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

There has been many family orientated films that have death in them ie Bambi.
It is more on the basis of how it is shown.Obviously if it was a graphic, violent death then the rating of the film will most likely go up to 12/15 cert.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2493
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 2:27:52 PM   
AxlReznor

Personally, I think the performances of Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty and Valerie Perrine are so cringe-inducingly bad that it's not suitable viewing for anyone, ever. Would've been a good film if it wasn't for the villains thinking they were in a comedy (that wouldn't have been in the slightest bit funny if they were).

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 2494
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 2:33:00 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

Really, that's the best you can come up with!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 31/1/2013 2:52:23 PM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2495
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 3:57:07 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

I definitely think MoS will be a film you'll be able to take the kids to see, no doubt about that. Whether or not it is a film that kids will actually be entertained by I don't know.

To be perfectly honest it seems that all superhero films these days are marketed towards adults with the benefit of being able to take kids (i.e, the violence is minimal and mostly fantastical). TDKR was slightly different in that it was pretty brutal, although not explicit. I don't think there's a single drop of blood in any of Nolan's Batman films.

Well , they are entertained by a dead bird the cat has dragged in so you would think they would be easily pleased when it comes to movies!.

I swear , you should see my sons reaction if I hold up Superman Returns DVD and ask if we should put it on lol!!. Maybe I should film it! (yes, I own Superman Returns, its was £3 I have no other excuse! Brandon is still a great Superman mind you, I would love to have seen him have a second crack at it)

Avengers got it spot on!! so there is not excuses for not getting the balance right.

Iíve got it on BD somewhereÖ gathering dust granted! But itís not a film totally devoid of merit. The plane rescue scene is a really cracking set piece! Unfortunately thatís what, 30 minutes into the film and never gets anywhere near that good again.

And I agree with you about Routh. Had the look and felt like a good person on screen, being a must for Superman. They just should have played out a new take on the character with him, instead of basically shoving him into a 2 hr impersonation.

But I donít think set pieces and action need be worried about with Snyder at the helm.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2496
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/1/2013 4:27:29 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

Iíve got it on BD somewhereÖ gathering dust granted! But itís not a film totally devoid of merit. The plane rescue scene is a really cracking set piece! Unfortunately thatís what, 30 minutes into the film and never gets anywhere near that good again.

And I agree with you about Routh. Had the look and felt like a good person on screen, being a must for Superman. They just should have played out a new take on the character with him, instead of basically shoving him into a 2 hr impersonation.

But I donít think set pieces and action need be worried about with Snyder at the helm.

Yeh. i don't know how often I have put it on, watched up to the end of the plane sequence and then just turned it off. I really liked Routh, why isnt he being offered more roles in these kinds of movies! I bet he wants to kick Singer right in the balls! ;) . He was great in Scott Pilgrim and I even liked him in Dylan Dog! :)

I would kinda love to see him put the red pants on for a JLA movie!. I am not keen on a JLA movie really, but if I could see Brandon get some decent action scenes as Supes again? I would be seriously excited to see that!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 31/1/2013 4:28:47 PM >

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 2497
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 12:00:50 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Personally, I think the performances of Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty and Valerie Perrine are so cringe-inducingly bad that it's not suitable viewing for anyone, ever. Would've been a good film if it wasn't for the villains thinking they were in a comedy (that wouldn't have been in the slightest bit funny if they were).

It's a family movie. You know, entertainment? Superman is for kids and for family viewing. There is nothing wrong with that.

Oh and do you not think that Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor being a bit off the wall is no more silly than Heath Ledger as The Joker in TDK or indeed Javier Bardem as Silva in SkyFall?

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2498
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 12:02:10 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

There has been many family orientated films that have death in them ie Bambi.
It is more on the basis of how it is shown.Obviously if it was a graphic, violent death then the rating of the film will most likely go up to 12/15 cert.

Agreed. There is no question that Superman: The Movie was a family movie.

And you have left out the death of a world too.

Mind you that happened in Star Wars also and that was also a family movie.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 2499
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 12:38:07 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

I would kinda love to see him put the red pants on for a JLA movie!. I am not keen on a JLA movie really, but if I could see Brandon get some decent action scenes as Supes again? I would be seriously excited to see that!

Crisis on Infinite Earths movie with Brandon and Cavill as the Superman of their respective universes. I'm telling you, it's a box-office winner already!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2500
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 12:38:19 AM   
rich

Nothing wrong with a bit of death and destruction, it's all part of the whole Sunday afternoon movie, which usually seemed to be Superman 2 as I remember... though that third one was totally the creepiest.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 2501
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 8:03:44 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

quote:

It's a family movie. You know, entertainment? Superman is for kids and for family viewing. There is nothing wrong with that.

Oh and do you not think that Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor being a bit off the wall is no more silly than Heath Ledger as The Joker in TDK or indeed Javier Bardem as Silva in SkyFall?

No. I think Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor is far more silly than both of them. Completely ruined the film. Family viewing or not, shit is shit, and that was shit... not entertainment.
Wouldn't have minded so much if the rest of the film wasn't done straight. Then at least it would have all been shit (like Superman III and IV) without having to feel like I'd just watched half a good movie with half of a completely different bad one thrown in.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 1/2/2013 8:10:08 AM >

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 2502
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 8:46:54 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. I think Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor is far more silly than both of them. Completely ruined the film. Family viewing or not, shit is shit, and that was shit... not entertainment.
Wouldn't have minded so much if the rest of the film wasn't done straight. Then at least it would have all been shit (like Superman III and IV) without having to feel like†I'd just watched half a good movie with half of a completely different bad one thrown in.

I feel for you. Its the greatest the Superhero ever made to date and you cant enjoy it.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2503
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 8:47:57 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Crisis on Infinite Earths movie with Brandon and Cavill as the Superman of their respective universes. I'm telling you, it's a box-office winner already!

TAKE MY MONEY!!

I have emailed Brandons number one fan who runs his unoffical website! would be great to get an actual response I could post!. I re-read some interviews and hes always been so up for returning, I really feel for the guy and think its a damn shame he isn't being given the chance to wear the red pants again. (they would have to be different red pants mind you!! not those gay interests ones he wears in Returns)

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 1/2/2013 8:51:44 AM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 2504
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 9:09:22 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wouldn't have minded so much if the rest of the film wasn't done straight. Then at least it would have all been shit (like Superman III and IV) without having to feel like†I'd just watched half a good movie with half of a completely different bad one thrown in.

I feel for you. Its the greatest the Superhero ever made to date and you cant enjoy it.

I feel for you. In this day and age, you still think it's the greatest superhero movie ever made.
Generally speaking, comics before The Dark Knight Returns weren't worth bothering with... and as comic book movies tend to reflect the comics of their time, it's no surprise that comic book movies before Burton's Batman aren't worth bothering with, etiher.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2505
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 9:42:24 AM   
Artoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree that Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor is far more silly than The Joker in TDK and Javier Bardem in Skyfall (a strange comparison but ok...), but it was clearly done intentionaly, and in my mind it was quite refreshing! Taking a Superhero like Superman seriously in the late 70's, before you had all these "dark and gritty" takes on comic book characters was just not going to happen, and I think giving it some humour and some light hearted charm really worked well for it! I also think that it was totally in keeping with the tone of the movie as Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White and Lois Lane to some extent were all "off the wall" characters, and the only major character that wasn't off the wall - was Superman himself! It made for great family viewing as a kid and I still thoroughly enjoy it whenever I watch it these days.

Your entitled to your opinion Axl, but it just so happens to be wrong!

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2506
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 10:12:59 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I feel for you. In this day and age, you still think it's the greatest superhero movie ever made.
Generally speaking, comics before The Dark Knight Returns weren't worth bothering with... and as comic book movies tend to reflect the comics of their time, it's no surprise that comic book movies before Burton's Batman aren't worth bothering with, etiher.

Wrong again!! doh!

I think Lex (Gene) smashing his stick into the glass of the map on the floor during his monologue is still one of the most understated Villainous scenes in Superhero movie history! chilling...you can keep your magic pencils tricks Joker! ;)

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 1/2/2013 10:16:38 AM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2507
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 10:18:43 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree that Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor is far more silly than The Joker in TDK and Javier Bardem in Skyfall (a strange comparison but ok...), but it was clearly done intentionaly, and in my mind it was quite refreshing! Taking a Superhero like Superman seriously in the late 70's, before you had all these "dark and gritty" takes on comic book characters was just not going to happen, and I think giving it some humour and some light hearted charm really worked well for it! I also think that it was totally in keeping with the tone of the movie as Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen, Perry White and Lois Lane to some extent were all "off the wall" characters, and the only major character that wasn't off the wall - was Superman himself! It made for great family viewing as a kid and I still thoroughly enjoy it whenever I watch it these days.

All of those characters were "off the wall" in a way that fit the tone of the movie. There was some genuine wit there.
Hackman and his stooges seemed to think they were in Carry On Superman, though... it was a completely different tone to the one presented in the rest of the film.

It wasn't only that I didn't like. I have never liked all of the stupid additional powers they gave to Superman in those movies that don't make any sense (How can he wipe memories with a kiss? If he can spin the world back in time to save people, why doesn't he do that all the time? How the fuck does his logo turn into a magical sheet of plastic, and why?) as if the million and one powers he already had weren't enough...

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 2508
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 10:29:41 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

All of those characters were "off the wall" in a way that fit the tone of the movie. There was some genuine wit there.
Hackman and his stooges seemed to think they were in Carry On Superman, though... it was a completely different tone to the one presented in the rest of the film.

It wasn't only that I didn't like. I have never liked all of the stupid additional powers they gave to Superman in those movies that don't make any sense (How can he wipe memories with a kiss? If he can spin the world back in time to save people, why doesn't he do that all the time? How the fuck does his logo turn into a magical sheet of plastic, and why?) as if the million and one powers he already had weren't enough...

*tumbleweed*

All those powers, yet I bet he couldn't get out of a hole in the ground with a broken back and bad knees ;)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2509
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 10:47:54 AM   
AxlReznor

He could apparently get back to Metropolis from the Arctic without any powers at all and then go all the way back again, though. (This is more unrealistic than being able to get back from India, in case you're wondering).

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2510
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 11:50:33 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

He could apparently get back to Metropolis from the Arctic without any powers at all and then go all the way back again, though. (This is more unrealistic than being able to get back from India, in case you're wondering).

have you driven on the roads in India!! I would put my money on Super thumbs and ice road truckers myself!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2511
Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 12:19:55 PM   
Alistair

This may come as a shock to some people, but the tone of the first-half of Donner's Superman looks to be exactly the same tone of 'Man of Steel'. It's just that when we got to Metropolis in 'Superman:The Movie' it tended to get a little silly (okay, very silly in places). This won't be the case with MoS.

So to all of those criticising MoS for looking a bit serious - Properly watch Donner's film and take note of what really worked in that film: The human drama.

People say that Bryan Singer's X-Men and Nolan's Batman were the revolutionary superhero films. No they weren't, Donner did it more than 20 years earlier than X-Men. He took Superman seriously, and grounded this character. It's a shame that maybe some of the silly stuff was going on around Superman in the films (and let's not talk about the absolutely shoddy sequels).

< Message edited by Alistair -- 1/2/2013 12:23:50 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2512
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 12:34:27 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

This may come as a shock to some people, but the tone of the first-half of Donner's Superman looks to be exactly the same tone of 'Man of Steel'. It's just that when we got to Metropolis in 'Superman:The Movie' it tended to get a little silly (okay, very silly in places). This won't be the case with MoS.

So to all of those criticising MoS for looking a bit serious - Properly watch Donner's film and take note of what really worked in that film: The human drama.

People say that Bryan Singer's X-Men and Nolan's Batman were the revolutionary superhero films. No they weren't, Donner did it more than 20 years earlier than X-Men. He took Superman seriously, and grounded this character. It's a shame that maybe some of the silly stuff was going on around Superman in the films (and let's not talk about the absolutely shoddy sequels).

Yes. The first hour was a great film. Still the closest to a decent live action Superman film we have at the moment entirely because of how good the first hour was.

I'm hoping Man Of Steel is as good as it looks, because it's a bit sad that the only Superman film that I like is a straight-to-DVD animation. If anyone hasn't seen Superman/Doomsday, by the way, check it out. It's really good.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2513
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 1:01:31 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

Yes. The first hour was a great film. Still the closest to a decent live action Superman film we have at the moment entirely because of how good the first hour was.

I'm hoping Man Of Steel is as good as it looks, because it's a bit sad that the only Superman film that I like is a straight-to-DVD animation. If anyone hasn't seen Superman/Doomsday, by the way, check it out. It's really good.

I've got it, and yes it is a great Superman film.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2514
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 1:02:48 PM   
Dannybohy

double post, sorry

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 1/2/2013 1:03:11 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2515
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 1:41:40 PM   
Artoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've got it, and yes it is a great Superman film.

Superman & Batman: Public Enemies is also really good, but of course Bat's is in it too so I'm not sure if it counts as a Superman movie??

Hey, get some beer and some.....cleaning products!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2516
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 1:48:24 PM   
Artoo

quote:

Ok I'm with you on that. Especially the plastic logo thing. Did you ever see the Family Guy pisstake of that scene? It was genius!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2517
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 2:34:51 PM   
Cool Breeze

Superman: The Movie is fantastic and one of the best, if not THE best superhero movie ever made.

And Hackman is brilliant as Lex Luthor in it.He was really funny but there was a cruel streak underneath it all and very intelligent and devious which made him a real threat to Supes.Just look at how he tricked him with the lead box and Kryptonite.

Really looking forward to Man Of Steel even more now after reading this months excellent cover article in the mag.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Artoo)
Post #: 2518
RE: Future Superman Films - 1/2/2013 4:31:54 PM   
kumar

quote:

Really? I thought Superman/Doomsday was such a dissapointment. Public Enemies, Apocalypse and Crisis on Two Earths were miles better. I dont get the flack for Superman The Movie - it is such a quality film and still holds up well to repeat viewings. I cant understand why the deleted scenes were removed, the one with Superman lifting up the earth after the earthquake is just awesome!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2519
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/2/2013 4:48:31 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

People say that Bryan Singer's X-Men and Nolan's Batman were the revolutionary superhero films. No they weren't, Donner did it more than 20 years earlier than X-Men.

Which is weird when both Singer and Nolan have both said from the beginning how influenced their respective franchises are by Donner's Superman.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2520
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Future Superman Films Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI