Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: MAN OF STEEL

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: MAN OF STEEL Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 20/5/2012 10:42:58 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, that. I'm not overly fond of any Superman film (so why I'm posting here I have no idea ), but watching that theme kick in on the big screen is truly a 'hairs on the back of your neck' moment.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 2101
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 20/5/2012 1:06:43 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I found the best bit of Superman Returns was when the opening theme kicked in. I was instantly transported to my childhood and got a real kick out of it. Sadly it all went downhill from there, but at least that theme elicits a thrill.

Strangely, the biggest criticism of Singer's Superman film is that it held on too tightly to the Donner films. And yet here we are having everyone say we should hold on to the Williams Superman theme. Hmmm.

As I said previously, we can discuss all we like about the music, but they aren't using the theme, and I'm happy with that. There is no reason for them to use it, they aren't obliged to. Snider and Nolan want to be free of what has come before, and rebooting every aspect of this is the only way to do that and come up with something, hopefully, fresh.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 20/5/2012 1:08:09 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 2102
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 20/5/2012 1:54:59 PM   
rich

Yeah I felt it went downhill immediately after the credits too. Like they thought "uhh is this a sequel or a remake? I have no idea" and what we got was neither, just a big fat nothing. Not that I'm thrilled about a Superman directed by Zack Snyder you know, but it could be worse.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2103
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 20/5/2012 2:03:23 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Yeah I felt it went downhill immediately after the credits too. Like they thought "uhh is this a sequel or a remake? I have no idea" and what we got was neither, just a big fat nothing. Not that I'm thrilled about a Superman directed by Zack Snyder you know, but it could be worse.

me too. It was admirable of him too try and tackle the complexity of Watchman with his adaption when a lot of other directors tried and failed. But his film was flawed in places and some of the acting choices were pretty bad.

I hope he doesn't resort to his now customary slow-mo's which I feel looked corny in Watchmen.

But it'll be interesting to see his take. One thing I am happy about is not having to see that other bloke (Routh) who was so wooden/bland. We need a Superman with balls, and the more less of that romantic crap the better!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2104
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 20/5/2012 7:20:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

Strangely, the biggest criticism of Singer's Superman film is that it held on too tightly to the Donner films. And yet here we are having everyone say we should hold on to the Williams Superman theme. Hmmm.

Actully I think the criticism was that it wanted to be in the Donner world but was so miserable and boring, that the only time people actully liked the film was when the credits and music came on.

I think some are misinterpeting the failure of Returns and think that stuff like the Williams theme was to blame - that film had many many more problems - the theme being used wasn't one of them.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2105
MAN OF STEEL - 20/5/2012 9:32:40 PM   
Alistair

I'm not attributing the blame to the theme at all (that would be ridiculous anyway). The theme is incredible and screams SUPERMAN, absolutely. But I think the overriding feeling with audiences was 'been there, done that' because it was so closely tied with Donner's films. And what I'm saying is that by using the Williams theme in the Zack Snider film it would automatically tie it in with the Donner films and that's not what they are doing - This is a NEW film, a new series of films, a fresh start. Re-using an old theme is not the way to go if you're starting from scratch.

Look, I love John Williams's score for Superman: The Movie. It's sensational. But maybe this new Superman film won't suit a theme? Much like the new Batman films - Batman hasn't got a theme as such. As long as the score is brilliant then I don't think these films need a theme. Just because the John Williams theme is great it does not mean it will fit in with this new film.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 20/5/2012 11:35:00 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2106
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 21/5/2012 10:02:47 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair
we can discuss all we like about the music, but they aren't using the theme,

Yep! Havenít we been over this quite a few times in this thread already!

Are we all hoping that we actually get the trailer over here on TDKR? Sure they will guarantee it at American screenings but that info never quite works here in the UK. But as Iíll be at the BFI IMAX Iíd like to think that the teaser will be pretty much guaranteed on the IMAX prints.... crosses fingers.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 2107
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 21/5/2012 5:34:52 PM   
KeithM

I will say this about the music, no matter what the film itself is like, unless the score is actually BETTER than Williams' (bluster IMPOSSIBLE!) then it will still be highlighted as a point of criticism. "The movie was fantastic, but Williams score was better" type comments are guaranteed. And if it sucks, then there will be plenty of "I knew it as soon as they said they weren't using the theme. Fail written all over it!"

I hate you Internet people who may not even say the things above!

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 2108
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 28/5/2012 11:27:31 PM   
endjinnoil

This point has been made in this thread many times, no doubt. I think a new direction deserves a clean slate. New music, suit, tone are all necessary for a new, modern and savvy age. The whole Super History can be updated here, and should be. Let this version stand or fall on it's own. Donners films were perfect for the times, Singer's homage showed that modern audiences want something more (in the majority).

I just hope this can keep the integrity of the character while challenging him to fit into a reality reflecting our own to some degree. And that he gets to smash things really hard.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 2109
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 28/5/2012 11:44:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: endjinnoil

This point has been made in this thread many times, no doubt. I think a new direction deserves a clean slate. New music, suit, tone are all necessary for a new, modern and savvy age. The whole Super History can be updated here, and should be. Let this version stand or fall on it's own. Donners films were perfect for the times, Singer's homage showed that modern audiences want something more (in the majority).

I just hope this can keep the integrity of the character while challenging him to fit into a reality reflecting our own to some degree. And that he gets to smash things really hard.

Yes. Smash something or someone to a bloody pulp!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 28/5/2012 11:45:41 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to endjinnoil)
Post #: 2110
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 31/5/2012 7:31:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Christopher Nolan Says 'Man Of Steel' Is Zack Snyder's Movie.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/christopher-nolan-says-man-of-steel-is-zack-snyders-movie-plus-more-pics-new-tv-spot-from-the-dark-knight-rises-20120529#

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2111
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 14/6/2012 10:09:14 AM   
spark1

check closer look at the super suit-

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24176/a-closer-look-at-superman-s-tights

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2112
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 14/6/2012 1:49:18 PM   
FoximusPrime

I didn't mind it in the first place, but that suit grows on me each time I see it.

Looking at the suit, I'd be surprised if this film didn't share certain "rebooted" features with the 'New 52' continuity in the comics. From what I gather, the new comics' suit is some form of nano-tech negating the need to conceal the bulky chest plate or cape under civilian clothes, while the cape helps to guide Superman's flight so allows him to do more than merely leap tall buildings in a single bound.

I genuinely think that this film could be something special if Snyder limits the use of slo-mo. Obviously a trailer will give me something concrete with which to test that theory.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2113
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 14/6/2012 6:06:36 PM   
maffew

so he has an S on his chest because he's Superman, right? I've never really thought about it before, but could someone explain the history of the suit to me? I mean, I did he think to himself 'hey, I'm really super, I'm going to make a suit that expresses that' and cobbled it together.. was the suit made on krypton? if so, who said 'oi - stick an S on there' was it a conscious decision? Is he "Superman" because he decided to be, or was there no design involved and everything just worked out? I know, I'm overthinking it, but meh...

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 2114
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 15/6/2012 8:54:53 AM   
FoximusPrime

I don't know about the comics (I think I've read somewhere that it really was as simple as being "S" for "Superman" in the 1930s) but in Donner's film, while it looked like an "S", it was explained as being his Kryptonian family crest. The fact that Russell Crowe's Jor-El wears it in this film, as Brando did in Superman: The Movie, suggests to me that they're going the same route here.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 2115
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 19/6/2012 2:06:18 AM   
Spaldron

Looks like all those questions of who's scoring the film have been answered.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91624

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 2116
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 19/6/2012 10:32:24 AM   
Russ Whitfield

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew

so he has an S on his chest because he's Superman, right? I've never really thought about it before, but could someone explain the history of the suit to me? I mean, I did he think to himself 'hey, I'm really super, I'm going to make a suit that expresses that' and cobbled it together.. was the suit made on krypton? if so, who said 'oi - stick an S on there' was it a conscious decision? Is he "Superman" because he decided to be, or was there no design involved and everything just worked out? I know, I'm overthinking it, but meh...

Like everything, the suit-story has zillions of origins. You're right, in the 80's, the idea was that Clark was "real" and Superman was the disguise, so his mum made a flashy suit based on Flash Gordon serials so people would pay attention to the outfit.

In the sixties and seventies, the suit was made out of the baby-blankets he was wrapped in.

I think in the new-52, its as Foxiumus says... alien outfit, co-incidental family crest. It's always Lois that coins the "Superman" nom de voyage.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 2117
RE: Future Superman Films - 19/6/2012 4:35:49 PM   
Dannybohy

The only way im going to every forgive the current fishscale suit is if itís n Alien tech nano-suit that somehow spreads over him (ala Ironman 2 suitcase suit?) that would be pretty awesome! Not to mention that if that was the case, the suit could easily have other cool functions like colour change (black with white logo and vice versa).
Regarding the supes music! I would prepare they kept the Williams score, and I cant except any argument that itís a fresh reboot and not linked to donors ! not at the moment anyway, as the plot seems to be very similar to donors Superman 2!!!. My biggest fear being this is going to be nothing that new!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 2118
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 10/7/2012 10:13:57 AM   
spark1

its going 3d IMAX-

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a392468/man-of-steel-to-be-released-in-imax-3d.html

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2119
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 12/7/2012 3:23:43 PM   
spark1

a teaser may be playing alongside TDKR.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2120
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 12/7/2012 3:32:53 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

This has been a lot of peopleís suspicion for some time. Personally, Iíll be absolutely amazed if the teaser is not attached to TDKR. Especially the IMAX prints. Then with WB attaching the first theatrical trailer to the Hobbit.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2121
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 12/7/2012 7:25:13 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

This has been a lot of peopleís suspicion for some time. Personally, Iíll be absolutely amazed if the teaser is not attached to TDKR. Especially the IMAX prints. Then with WB attaching the first theatrical trailer to the Hobbit.

As if I couldnt be any more hyped up to see DKR at Imax!!!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 2122
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 13/7/2012 9:37:15 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

As if I couldnt be any more hyped up to see DKR at Imax!!!

I know! And being WB big IMAX release, Iíd also be surprised if the Hobbit theatrical trailer wasnít attached to the IMAX prints too.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 2123
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 13/7/2012 1:12:40 PM   
spark1

its official-

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/24396/-man-of-steel-teaser-trailer-confirmed

Post #: 2124
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 13/7/2012 2:30:17 PM   
fuzzy

The new suit pics from comic-con (seen on Empire's news section) - seem to now include the suugestion of a yellow belt. Is this a new thing ?- can't remember seeing it on previous pics.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2125
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 14/7/2012 11:17:36 AM   
Wild about Wilder

3D!!! obviously Nolans not as much involved as I first thought then?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2126
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 14/7/2012 12:35:28 PM   
Sutty

Seems we have waited an age for a teaser. Cannot wait to see it before TDKR. I'm sure that some of the questions asked on this here forum will be at least partly answered. I'm looking forward to seeing Cavil in motion as Kent/Supes, a quick blast of action to get the blood pumping, and most of all what the music is going to sound like. I know that some people want a clean sweep and starting afresh - including the music - but I don;t think that Williams anthemic theme can be under valued or under estimated in the overall telling of Superman.

I guess we'll see....

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 2127
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 15/7/2012 10:39:17 AM   
film man aidy

< Message edited by film man aidy -- 15/7/2012 10:45:05 AM >

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2128
RE: MAN OF STEEL - 15/7/2012 3:15:54 PM   
pete_traynor

Reaction to the Comic Con footage has been extremly positive! Almost every article I've seen comments on how un Snyder it looks. It would appear those worried about an over stylised look and too much slow mo have nothing to fear.

Snyder confirmed the teaser will be attached to TDKR, well in the states anyway. Still think those attending proper IMAX screenings here will get it though.

Teaser really wowed at CC... Can't wait to see it!

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 2129
MAN OF STEEL - 15/7/2012 3:52:03 PM   
Alistair

I'm looking forward to seeing it, Pete. I hope I don't get stiffed on the trailer. My local cinemas tend to pick the worst trailers you can possibly imagine!!

Anyone seen this? Supes teaser poster...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/171795-comic-con-new-art-for-superman-movie-man-of-steel

I like it very much. Says a lot about the film with very little imagery (a more brooding take on the character). It also looks a lot like a piece of Alex Ross artwork. Very nice.

Post #: 2130
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: MAN OF STEEL Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI