Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Future Superman Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Future Superman Films Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 12:18:44 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

IIRC Nolan's already said that Supes is the only superhero in the world of Man of Steel, so it won't be setting up a JL film.

Its a shame as it would have made sense to do this now so they can reboot Batman into MOS's universe in a few years

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 2011
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 12:20:23 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

Well, from Nolan's comments the issue of whether a crossover universe could happen wasn't left open-ended at all IMO. But now that there's a new president of WB plans may have changed, I suppose.

and also how much business the Avengers does. If that hits big then WB will have to follow that template(ish)

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 2012
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 1:01:06 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

quote:

Well, from Nolan's comments the issue of whether a crossover universe could happen wasn't left open-ended at all IMO. But now that there's a new president of WB plans may have changed, I suppose.

and also how much business the†Avengers does. If that hits big then WB will have to follow that template(ish)

Exactly, WB's plans seem to keep changing so if The Avengers is a big hit then it may well give them ideas about resurrecting their Justice League plans or make them think about playing around with crossovers. In that respect I could easily see Superman being used as a way to kick start those plans in the respect that he's the first of a new breed so Nolan's comments wouldn't be contradictory.

That said I wouldn't say it all hinges on their rivals' films as really they need to get MOS and TDKR as big hits to show their own heroes are still viable properties. After Green Lantern's relative failure both critically and commercially they've got to have some reservations about the rest of their DC gallery - notice how development on anything but Batman and Superman went all quiet after last summer.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2013
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 2:41:28 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

quote:

and also how much business the Avengers does. If that hits big then WB will have to follow that template(ish)

Exactly, WB's plans seem to keep changing so if The Avengers is a big hit then it may well give them ideas about resurrecting their Justice League plans or make them think about playing around with crossovers. In that respect I could easily see Superman being used as a way to kick start those plans in the respect that he's the first of a new breed so Nolan's comments wouldn't be contradictory.

That said I wouldn't say it all hinges on their rivals' films as really they need to get MOS and TDKR as big hits to show their own heroes are still viable properties. After Green Lantern's relative failure both critically and commercially they've got to have some reservations about the rest of their DC gallery - notice how development on anything but Batman and Superman went all quiet after last summer.

If WB had balls they should just go all in on a new JL film with all new Batman etc and just see what the crack is. I mean yes Marvel had to do the solo films because they had the rights to Characters not everyone knew (funny to think only the comic fans knew Iron Man back then) so they had to build the origins.

I'd argue that WB won't have to do that for their characters due to everyone and his mother knowing Batman/Superman and the rest of the league could be introduced IN the JL film (they are just there and a few lines to explain etc). If successful then spin offs for the non Supes/Bats characters people liked

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 2014
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 3:12:15 PM   
Sutty

What sort of tone would they go for? Batman and Superman live in vastly different worlds. And finding a villian to challenge Superman is hard enough, but Superman AND Batman??? I dunno...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2015
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 3:17:19 PM   
pete_traynor

And Martian Manhunter and Aqua Man and Hawk Man and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern... Yep, youíd need a villain and a half for that lot. Doomday and Brainiac perhaps.

Rest assured though, if The Avengers is a big hit the WB brass will be back on the JLA movie like a tramp on chips!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 2/3/2012 3:18:34 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2016
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 3:20:38 PM   
JIm R

For a JLA film, it would have to be Doomsday. Narrative being death of Superman in a 'who will lead us now' post death kind of way / his resurection and then leading final battle against and destroying Doomsday.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 2017
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 3:49:02 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

What sort of tone would they go for? Batman and Superman live in vastly different worlds. And finding a villian to challenge Superman is hard enough, but Superman AND Batman??? I dunno...

They manage it fine in the comics and animations

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2018
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 3:50:17 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

And Martian Manhunter and Aqua Man and Hawk Man and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern... Yep, you'd need a villain and a half for that lot. Doomday and Brainiac perhaps.

Rest assured though, if The Avengers is a big hit the WB brass will be back on the JLA movie like a tramp on chips!

Tell you what does it BOSS is the opening trailer/movie for the DC Universe online or what ever it's called. all the heroes battered etc NOW that i'd like to see as a film

Post #: 2019
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 4:17:13 PM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

quote:

and also how much business the†Avengers does. If that hits big then WB will have to follow that template(ish)

If WB had balls they should just go all in on a new JL film with all new Batman etc and just see what the crack is. I mean yes Marvel had to do the solo films because they had the rights to Characters not everyone knew (funny to think only the comic fans knew Iron Man back then) so they had to build the origins.

I'd argue that WB won't have to do that for their characters due to everyone and his mother knowing Batman/Superman and the rest of the league could be introduced IN the JL film (they are just there and a few lines to explain etc). If successful then spin offs for the non Supes/Bats characters people liked

Exactly agree - a reverse Marvel Cinematic Universe approach really and I think George Miller's JL film would have done just that. Only possible issue is making sure each character receives ample introduction time without bogging it down, something The Avengers doesn't really have as they assume people will have seen the solo films and know who they all are but with the odd new arrival like Hawkeye, Maria Hill and the villain/s of the piece (Loki notwithstanding).

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2020
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 4:41:02 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

quote:

And Martian Manhunter and Aqua Man and Hawk Man and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern... Yep, you'd need a villain and a half for that lot. Doomday and Brainiac perhaps.

Tell you what does it BOSS is the opening trailer/movie for the DC Universe online or what ever it's called. all the heroes battered etc NOW that i'd like to see as a film

I thought the same when I saw that. They should do JL animated, and separate from all the other DC films.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2021
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/3/2012 7:14:30 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

For a JLA film, it would have to be Doomsday. Narrative being death of Superman in a 'who will lead us now' post death kind of way / his resurection and then leading final battle against and destroying Doomsday.

Now THAT sounds good.

Wasn't there a story (either a spec script or a comic book I'm not sure) where Superman was somehow framed for the death of Batmans missus and Batman sets out using his fame detective skills to find out Supermans true identity and take revenge? Ultimately Batman realises he has ben duped and the pair set out to bring the real bad guy to justice. Inbetween the two find time to engage in a couple of smackdowns. Presumably Batman fashions some bat shaped  kryptonite throwing stars or something...

Now that would be a way to put the two together! Perhaps the villians could be Bane and Luthor? You get two brilliant, cunning minds, some muscle, and a storyline that oesn't involve Lex trying to aquire land! And we could see Bats in full out vengance mode, out to kill at all costs and Supes having to try and reign him in resulting in some conflict between the two giving the partnership a bit of an edge (they are used to working alone after all!)

Just so long as Superman doesn't try to kiss Batman in an effort to erase his memory so h forgets he knows his secret. I don't think my former childhood could take it!!

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2022
RE: Future Superman Films - 3/3/2012 9:27:17 AM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

For a JLA film, it would have to be Doomsday. Narrative being death of Superman in a 'who will lead us now'†post death kind of way / his resurection and then leading final battle against and destroying Doomsday.

Now THAT sounds good.

Wasn't there a story (either a spec script or a comic book I'm not sure) where Superman was somehow framed for the death of Batmans missus and Batman sets out using his fame detective skills to find out Supermans true identity and take revenge? Ultimately Batman realises he has ben duped and the pair set out to bring the real bad guy to justice. Inbetween the two find time to engage in a couple of smackdowns. Presumably Batman fashions some bat shaped† kryptonite throwing stars or something...

Now that would be a way to put the two together! Perhaps the villians could be Bane and Luthor? You get two brilliant, cunning minds, some muscle, and a storyline that oesn't involve Lex trying to aquire land! And we could see Bats in full out vengance mode, out to kill at all costs and Supes having to try and reign him in resulting in some conflict between the two giving the partnership a bit of an edge (they are used to working alone after all!)

Just so long as Superman doesn't try to kiss Batman in an effort to erase his memory so h forgets he knows his secret. I don't think my former childhood could take it!!

Maybe, I've read some of Andrew Kevin Walker's script for the proposed Batman vs Superman from some years ago (the one Wolfgang Peterson was attached to before he pissed off to make Troy and messers Nolan and Singer got involved in the individual series) and it had the following points:

- Bruce is retired as Batman and about to get married, he and Clark are friends and know each others' secrets
- Joker kills Bruce's fiancee prompting him to dust off the cape and go revenging
- Superman steps in to stop Batman going too Frank Miller and that puts them at loggerheads for a while
- They settle their differences when it turns out Lex Luthor is masterminding some nefarious plot which required Joker to cause some carnage
- Big climax at the Gotham World Faire involving Superman taking on some Luthor sponsored death machines and Batman having Joker at his mercy

It read a bit comic booky to me (dire-logue) but had some interesting story ideas - could be the one you're referring to or another pitch WB was working on before the AKW script as I understand that was the actual one Peterson had signed onto develop into the final film.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2023
RE: Future Superman Films - 3/3/2012 3:27:07 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Am loving the cast still got that nagging feeling at the back of my head that Snyder's gonna do something to Fuck it all up.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 2024
RE: Future Superman Films - 3/3/2012 7:23:21 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Am loving the cast still got that nagging feeling at the back of my head that Snyder's gonna do something to Fuck it all up.

In my opinion he has already made one massive mistake, if the rumours are true, of not using John Williams' wonderful score. I understand that he wants to take the franchise in a new direction, which is great, but I think the music is as an integral part of the character/mythology/franchise as his ability to fly and THAT constume.

On the plus side the cast DOES look fantastic. Love the casting of Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner, and Amy Adams is a fantastic actress.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 2025
RE: Future Superman Films - 5/3/2012 9:18:39 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

It all depends on how 'we' the audience approach it all. If he can blend the emotional aspects of Donner's approach and handle the essentials of the character and balance the dark and light of what makes Superman such a vital character with the balls out action of Superman II (but with advanced SFX) then he's onto a winner, and whilst ZS is far away from being a writer (he's not, on this thank goodnesss) he knows his onions where action and co-ordinating visuals are concerned, hence why you have J and C Nolan & Goyer involved, Jona Nolan is a great writer, Goyer knows the character inside out and C Nolan is a superb producer. The Team surrounding this are co-hecisively spot on.

As I say, depends if 'we' the audeince give them the chance to deliver it before we start slating it prior to any footage has been seen.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 2026
RE: Future Superman Films - 5/3/2012 11:10:42 AM   
spark1

time to let go of all the donner era motifs going back 35 years and start over.
and that includes losing the williams theme tune.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 5/3/2012 11:11:11 AM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2027
RE: Future Superman Films - 5/3/2012 11:42:19 AM   
JIm R

I think it's a brave move and the correct move. If, as indicated we are 'starting' afresh with a pseudo-origin-come-re-launch then it's the right thing to do to jettison Williams' iconic theme. As strong and recognisable as it is. and it is a beautiful, truimphant, heralding beacon for the films as it is, we need to establish and stand 'alone' and independent and be involved in a new era for DC and WB, to join the Nolan trilogy as separate to anything that has gone before. If Snyder is clever and savy, which he is, he'll lay tributes at Williams door on the score and use phrases like 'paying homage' and 'taking inspiration from' in the build up to release of this, all depends who they get to score Man of Steel (Zimmer, fingers crossed !).

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2028
RE: Future Superman Films - 5/3/2012 1:17:00 PM   
Marwood

quote:

I think it's a brave move and the correct move. If, as indicated we are 'starting' afresh with a pseudo-origin-come-re-launch then it's the right thing to do to jettison Williams' iconic theme. As strong and recognisable as it is. and it is a beautiful, truimphant, heralding beacon for the films as it is, we need to establish and stand 'alone' and independent and be involved in a new era for DC and WB, to join the Nolan trilogy as separate to anything that has gone before. If Snyder is clever and savy, which he is, he'll lay tributes at Williams door on the score and use phrases like 'paying homage' and 'taking inspiration from' in the build up to release of this, all depends who they get to score Man of Steel (Zimmer, fingers crossed !).

I wouldn't be too surprised if Snyder's regular collabortator Tyler Bates (I think) gets the gig - good luck to him if he does, he's got big shoes to fill on the score front.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2029
RE: Future Superman Films - 7/3/2012 4:05:19 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

After all we said goodbye the the Danny Elfman(I think) Batman89 score (which was ace) for Batman Begins and not a single person cared.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2030
RE: Future Superman Films - 7/3/2012 10:43:11 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

After all we said goodbye the the Danny Elfman(I think) Batman89 score (which was ace) for Batman Begins and not a single person cared.

Wasnt that we said 'goodbye',it was the fact that the scores for Batman 89 and Batman Returns fitted in so well with the films overal surrounding/concept,and the same applies to Zimmers Batman Begins/TDK scores.

Hopefully the (maybe) new Superman theme will fit in with the world Snyder is creating.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2031
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 9/3/2012 7:53:46 PM   
Sutty

Just been reading up on some Superman production lore. Didn't know that when Tim Burton was involved he wanted the "S" on the back of Supermans cape to be made up of three daggers!!! What was he thinking?? To my knowledge Superman doesn not carry knives...

Goes to show, there is hope for Snyder yet. Even the most creative minds have the occasional brain fart!!

On a slightly different matter, has anyone ever read Kevin Smiths take on how he approached the franchise when given the chance? I know he talks about it on his Evening With... dvd but I wondered if anyone had seen the actual story outline etc. Would love to have a look, to see how it would compere to the this new version/vision.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2032
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 11/3/2012 12:31:29 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

Just been reading up on some Superman production lore. Didn't know that when Tim Burton was involved he wanted the "S" on the back of Supermans cape to be made up of three daggers!!! What was he thinking?? To my knowledge Superman doesn not carry knives...

Goes to show, there is hope for Snyder yet. Even the most creative minds have the occasional brain fart!!

On a slightly different matter, has anyone ever read Kevin Smiths take on how he approached the franchise when given the chance? I know he talks about it on his Evening With... dvd but I wondered if anyone had seen the actual story outline etc. Would love to have a look, to see how it would compere to the this new version/vision.

Here's a link. I found a pdf version somewhere too.

I generally like this script although it's very corny in parts. It was a simpler time...

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2033
RE: Future Superman Films - 11/3/2012 1:39:36 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

We said goodbye to the Danny Elfman Batman themes with Elliot Goldenthals score for Batman Forever in 1995.

Of course the Williams Superman theme must be discarded for Man Of Steel.It is a complete reboot of the character with no connection to the Donner/Reeve era.Besides, every incarnation of the character on screen has had a different theme(Jay Gruskas for Lois and Clark,and Shirley Walkers for the 90s animated series).

Personally i hope Michael Giachinno gets the gig.He is the best of the new generation of film composers in my humble opinion.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 11/3/2012 1:40:22 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2034
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 15/3/2012 9:17:53 PM   
Sutty

Just been mooching around on the Man of Steel website and was reading a couple of interesting tidbits...

Jor-El and Zod have some sort of huge fight, so it looks like Supes dad will be more than just a floaty head imparting wisdom. Wonder if there is gonna be some decent portion of the movie set on Krypton...?

Michael Shannon spoke about his outfit. Or more to the point BOTH of them. He says that one of them was rendered by motion capture and is very large and cumbersome. Hmmm. Didn't say much about his "day wear" other than its skin tight.

There is a picture of Superman posing with a young boy in some sort of church or civic hall. Presuming this is a movie still (which it may not be, so...) the kid is wearing union jack clothing. Will Superman be visiting the UK during the movie?

I am hugely intrigued as to what Snyder is going to do with Superman. And though I disagree with him disgarding John Williams theme (I think it is one of the greatest movie themes of all time) it just makes me all the more curious.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2035
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 16/3/2012 10:25:43 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

Just been mooching around on the Man of Steel website and was reading a couple of interesting tidbits...

Jor-El and Zod have some sort of huge fight, so it looks like Supes dad will be more than just a floaty head imparting wisdom. Wonder if there is gonna be some decent portion of the movie set on Krypton...?

Michael Shannon spoke about his outfit. Or more to the point BOTH of them. He says that one of them was rendered by motion capture and is very large and cumbersome. Hmmm. Didn't say much about his "day wear" other than its skin tight.

There is a picture of Superman posing with a young boy in some sort of church or civic hall. Presuming this is a movie still (which it may not be, so...) the kid is wearing union jack clothing. Will Superman be visiting the UK during the movie?

I am hugely intrigued as to what Snyder is going to do with Superman. And though I disagree with him disgarding John Williams theme (I think it is one of the greatest movie themes of all time) it just makes me all the more curious.

Iím hoping for a good 20/30 minutes on Krypton myself! Itís needed in my opinion as itís something that no other film has dedicated any real time too. To see that civilisation in more detail will add weight to Kal El. Knowing more about his people and how they lived will add depth to his inherent sense of isolation.

With regards to a Jor El Vs Zod fight. Yes please! But they will need to explain clearly why Kryptonians have super powers on Earth. If not people will not understand why Zod and Jor El may be fighting it out with swords and shields, as opposed to mid air lazer blasts from the eyes. There was a trailer description a few weeks back that was poo pooed the moment it came out. Probably was fake to be fair but that guy did describe footage of Zod leaping off a bridge at Jor El. I believe he said Jor El had a sword of some description and a raised shield.

Iím very much banking on a teaser for this when I attend TDKR on opening night... Should look great (fingers crossed!) on the biggest screen in the country!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 2036
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 16/3/2012 3:54:47 PM   
Spaldron

Do you reckon this will have a more fractured time structure like Begins or Watchmen?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 2037
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 16/3/2012 4:08:17 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Iím hoping for a good 20/30 minutes on Krypton myself! Itís needed in my opinion as itís something that no other film has dedicated any real time too. To see that civilisation in more detail will add weight to Kal El. Knowing more about his people and how they lived will add depth to his inherent sense of isolation.

With regards to a Jor El Vs Zod fight. Yes please! But they will need to explain clearly why Kryptonians have super powers on Earth. If not people will not understand why Zod and Jor El may be fighting it out with swords and shields, as opposed to mid air lazer blasts from the eyes. There was a trailer description a few weeks back that was poo pooed the moment it came out. Probably was fake to be fair but that guy did describe footage of Zod leaping off a bridge at Jor El. I believe he said Jor El had a sword of some description and a raised shield.

Iím very much banking on a teaser for this when I attend TDKR on opening night... Should look great (fingers crossed!) on the biggest screen in the country!

That would be good.
As I know very little about superman, other than his immense powers,this will be a great way of showing the audience why and how.

Post #: 2038
RE: Snyder / Nolan Superman 2013 - 17/3/2012 9:42:41 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Do you reckon this will have a more fractured time structure like Begins or Watchmen?

From what little there is seeping out so far it sounds like Superman may be going global, so I reckon yeah.

On the one hand I am kind of glad now that Snyder is taking it in another direction and doesn't seem particularly beholden to the Donnerverse that many of us love. But then I think "God! ANOTHER origin story?!"

There are not many who don;t know how Superman came about so why not just jump into a movie without all the backstory?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 2039
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/3/2012 10:19:10 AM   
spark1

the film's costume designer speaks -

http://www.billdesowitz.com/?p=4797

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 2040
Page:   <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Future Superman Films Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI