Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Returns Sequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Superman Returns Sequel Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 19/8/2006 11:06:32 AM   
kalel Reeve

hey people...im new to this....im a huge superman fan, i've spent months reading everyones posts about SR, and finally decided to join in...im vewry bored at work today so should be adding my thoughts shortly

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 61
RE: Future Superman Films - 19/8/2006 11:30:46 AM   
Sutty

I thought Superman Returns was a fantastic film. It was part homage, part remake, part new movie all together. Brandon Routh is a real find, and he makes a wonderful Superman without mimicking the late, great Christopher Reeve. Spacey always makes a good villian, and the sets and the asction set pieces were awesome.
Just to hear that music in the cinema again gave me tingles.
I thought the updated suit was an improvement on the 70's/80's version, with some nice modifications. Some of my favourite moments in the movie were:

1. The opening music. Of course!
2. The action sequence with the plane, and Supermans first lines.
3. Superman being beaten up by Luthor.
4. Superman saving Lois/son/boyfriend from sinking ship. Cool pose.
5. Superman talking to his son while he sleeps.
6. Superman in hospital and all of metropolis outside.
7. Superman floating in space listening to the world.

Now, as you can see most of my fave moments involve superman. One of the small issues i had with the movie was that superman wasn't in the film enough. Everytime Superman was on screen, it lifted it from a 3 star movie to a four star movie. Which says a lot about Brandon Routh really. I felt Lois Lane was too young and quite a weak characture. My ideal casting would have been Courtney Cox or Sandra Bullock.
The whole thing with the kid was handled quite well, and i really liked the scene when Superman talks to him while he sleeps.
I just felt that the movie should have been more "balls out" when it came to the action, really. And you never got the feeling that Superman was in any real danger. He's just too super for a mere mortal like Luthor. I think the way round this is to give Superman an adversary who is an equal, if not even superior, to himself, whereby perhaps Superman would need our help in some way. Or make Luthor or whoever so evil and ruthless that we feel that their captors are in real mortal danger, not just sat by a fax machine and a grand piano for a few hours while the bad guy explains the plot!

I think there will and should be a sequel. I would love to see Doomsday brought in and have all hell break loose. There was a rumour that Singer wanted to bring in Jude Law to play General Zod! Might work, dunno.

But the world definately needs Superman. Even if it is only in the Cinema....

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 62
RE: Future Superman Films - 19/8/2006 11:34:37 AM   
kalel Reeve

HA...i completely agree...courtney cox should have been lois lane...she is older than routh....but then supes has that whole anti-aging thing right??!!!  that would have added another twist to why they cant be together and she is moving on...coz she is getting older

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 63
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 1:46:33 PM   
Rotary Ten

I too loved Superman Returns, it was a great experience in the cinema. I liked the design, Metropolis looks timeless, and the colour scheme of the film, darker, rather than in primary colours. His new suit is a prime example (exactly the same colours as the evil Superman in Superman III as well). I think the film took the character further than has been done in the previous films, although they've taken Kyrptonite as far as it can go now, and they need to find another enemy for him, although I thought Spacey was excellent as Luthor.

There are one or two problems with it, the main ones being with the child, which I thought was well handled, but I'm not sure it was a good idea to put in the film. The other is Kate Bosworth, it's not so much her being too young, but that she just wasn't Lois Lane. Someone like Reese Witherspoon would have been better. But overall, Bryan Singer did a really good job with it. There's not much one can do with the character, after all he's a traditional hero, but in this case I was really happy with it.

< Message edited by Rotary Ten -- 20/8/2006 1:47:24 PM >

(in reply to kalel Reeve)
Post #: 64
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 2:02:15 PM   
kalel Reeve

im not sure if anyone else has heard this...i read about it at www.theplanet.com.....there was a lot of fan interest for Darkseid to be the supervillain in the next superman film, i think this was brought up at the last comic con and it appears that darkseid is a favourite of the writers aswell!!!!   anythoughts???

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 65
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 6:55:51 PM   
Wentworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: kalel Reeve

im not sure if anyone else has heard this...i read about it at www.theplanet.com.....there was a lot of fan interest for Darkseid to be the supervillain in the next superman film, i think this was brought up at the last comic con and it appears that darkseid is a favourite of the writers aswell!!!!   anythoughts???

i hope not, how could they do darkseid without going overboard on cgi, meaning the budget would again be huge. they need a villian that can be played by an actor, like zod (yes i do want zod) or brainiac.

Post #: 66
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 7:01:49 PM   
kalel Reeve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wentworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: kalel Reeve

i hope not, how could they do darkseid without going overboard on cgi, meaning the budget would again be huge. they need a villian that can be played by an actor, like zod (yes i do want zod) or brainiac.

yeah it would be very expensive......if they use zod i hope they keep his powers relatively the same as supes...i hated what they did with it in superman 2...i mean he levatated someone with a finger beam for f*ck sake!!!  braniac would be cool, and something we havnt seen on film b4.
i reckon that if zod ever comes into it, we will see him right at the end of the final movie...it would be a pain in the arse but it would finish on a high!!

(in reply to Wentworth)
Post #: 67
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 8:12:23 PM   
Rotary Ten

Zod can't be in it, he dies at the end of Superman II. What would be the point anyway? Surely the whole idea behind reviving the franchise was to use some new ideas, not just remake the earlier ones. 

Post #: 68
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 8:45:51 PM   
kalel Reeve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotary Ten

Zod can't be in it, he dies at the end of Superman II. What would be the point anyway? Surely the whole idea behind reviving the franchise was to use some new ideas, not just remake the earlier ones. 

yeah after giving it more thought i dont think zod should come into it...i mean it would be cool....but we've been there, done that....they would have to do something amazing with the character to make it interesting, and explain how he is there after superman2. 

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 69
RE: Future Superman Films - 20/8/2006 9:15:06 PM   
Jon1

I dont think Zod should come back either. Besides if he does all the people that bitched about Superman Returns basically being a remake will simply say they are remaking the Superman 2 as well.

If it were up to me it would have to be Brainiac. Kind of an obvious choice but he is easily a threat to Superman and Brainiac and Lex would get on nicely, thus being even more of a threat.

Post #: 70
RE: Future Superman Films - 21/8/2006 1:50:14 PM   
The Moog

I really don't think there is anywhere Singer can take this as anything worth doing has already been done. Superman Returns was essentially a remake of Superman and not a very good one at that. I admire your attempt to resurrect the man of steel Mr Singer but it didn't work so now please leave well alone and move on. 

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 71
RE: Future Superman Films - 21/8/2006 4:59:37 PM   
Wentworth

quote:

actually, we dont know if he died. he fell into a ravine type thing in the fortress. they could bring him back.

also in donners version, which singer would most likely follow, zod didnt die and he didnt fall into the fortress, he was taken away by snow police.

< Message edited by Wentworth -- 21/8/2006 5:00:49 PM >

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 72
RE: Future Superman Films - 21/8/2006 5:29:02 PM   
McBain

quote:

quote:

actually, we dont know if he died. he fell into a ravine type thing in the fortress. they could bring him back.

also in donners version, which singer would most likely follow, zod didnt die and he didnt fall into the fortress, he was taken away by snow police.

But in Donners version doesn't Superman destroy the fortress of Solitude.So they can't follow Donners version as the Fortress is still there in Superman returns.I think that the next villian should be Brianiac who might have followed Superman to Earth when he went to find the remains of Krypton.Have Brianiac team up with Luthor and they can develop the alien Technology that Luthor was on about advancing in Superman Returns

Yeah, you should definitely tell her, because I saw this movie called "Liar Liar" and the message was, "*Don't* lie."

(in reply to Wentworth)
Post #: 73
RE: Future Superman Films - 21/8/2006 8:37:24 PM   
Wentworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: McBain

quote:

quote:

But in Donners version doesn't Superman destroy the fortress of Solitude.So they can't follow Donners version as the Fortress is still there in Superman returns.I think that the next villian should be Brianiac who might have followed Superman to Earth when he went to find the remains of Krypton.Have Brianiac team up with Luthor and they can develop the alien Technology that Luthor was on about advancing in Superman Returns

im all for brainiac, but i dont want 'luthiac'

they should team up but not as jj abrams thought

(in reply to McBain)
Post #: 74
RE: Future Superman Films - 21/8/2006 9:17:03 PM   
Rotary Ten

quote:

ORIGINAL: McBain

quote:

quote:

But in Donners version doesn't Superman destroy the fortress of Solitude.So they can't follow Donners version as the Fortress is still there in Superman returns.I think that the next villian should be Brianiac who might have followed Superman to Earth when he went to find the remains of Krypton. Have Brianiac team up with Luthor and they can develop the alien Technology that Luthor was on about advancing in Superman Returns

Alive or dead, Superman took Zod's powers away before that, so being mortal, couldn't possibly have survived the fall.

Singer should either do the Brainiac/Luthor team up or just invent a new villain for the sequel.

(in reply to McBain)
Post #: 75
RE: Future Superman Films - 26/8/2006 4:18:09 PM   
Bobby1975

This is the way to go with this! When I was a kid my mother bought me a Superman annual for christmas, it had various stories, but the one that stood out was a story about three robotic supermen, they had all supermen's men powers and they were sent to destroy him by some mad scientist that made them. Superman has a right old scrap with them but he realises he can' t win because he's basically fighting three of himself, but the floor that the machines have is that they learn by replicating superman's actions. so Supes has to fly into the sun,they follow and sizzle up. So you can have Braniac team up with Luthor and have them build the Robots (but not have them dress and look like superman as they were in the comic, I'm thinking terminator style robots). They can have a right old scrap,they kill Supes kids, make Supes get medieval on fools, and have him fly into the Sun for the grand finale.....shiiiit! I should pitch that to Warner Bros..what d'ya think? Go to go? Or Superpoo?..I like it!

Non servium.

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 76
RE: Future Superman Films - 28/8/2006 5:27:32 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=4683

Legendary Pictures is on board, good.

Here's a hunch, what if Clark becomes Jason's godfather?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Bobby1975)
Post #: 77
RE: Future Superman Films - 31/8/2006 10:17:11 AM   
Darth Lex

What about a more serious enemy, a more complicated storyline?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 78
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 2/9/2006 2:29:08 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Sequal Ideas:
Who is to say Zod & co were the only prisoners of the Phantom Zone?  Jor El invented it, imagine if it's prisoners escaped - and came across Jor El junior - they'd be pissed. 
Also that kryptonite island drifting in space with Supe's crystals holding the knowledge of the universe? Kryptonite + all knowledge = Braniac?  Or at least something that will grab the attention of an outside earth element that could prove problematic for Superman.
What about the return of Otis?  I always wanted to live in Otisburg.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 79
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 25/9/2006 1:28:11 PM   
BatFan

Here is a new interview with Bryan Singer where he talks about the reception for Superman Returns. And a hint of where he plans to go with the sequel.

http://www.todayonline.com/pdf_open.asp?id=2209FCL056

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Ryan_D_Bell)
Post #: 80
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 26/9/2006 11:06:02 AM   
hungryanteater

feel i have to chip my 2p's worth in here......i wasnt at all comvinced by superman returns (bearing in mind bryan singer directed my favourite film of ALL time - usual suspects) - aside from the cool as flock shuttle rescue sequence, the rest of the film felt boring - dont even get me started on the kid angle - pure garbage......spacey was cool yeah, bosworth (altho fit) was sterile and even perry white didnt seem anywhere near as shouty.
on the flipside, superman has always been one of the "gayest" superheros so i appreciate deviation will p-off the fanboys, but personally as this seems to be a good time for re-invention and re-invigoration of superheros, there was more to be done

my biggest fear - "clark and the kid" superman returns 2........
now who ISNT throwing up at this point

"I haven't killed anybody since 1984"

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 81
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 27/9/2006 10:24:29 AM   
the anomaly

I agree with your points "hungryanteater"
I was quite dissapointed with the film.
The worst point is the son. It just doesnt sit with me
I hope that piano just slid on that guy because the boat
slanted! but its too late/lame to say that now.
I just think its a pointless idea. Superman Fathers for justice!
Is he going to pay child support etc? Ahhh I just doesnt sit with me!

(in reply to hungryanteater)
Post #: 82
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 27/9/2006 1:21:58 PM   
kumar

i thought, when i went out of the cinema, that the kid would possibly die in later sequels, maybe in superman returns again. i dont like it, i think its shit, but the kid is sick, and

id love o see a really pissed off superman, fighting a real badass supervillian. also, i think braniac must be a villian in 2 or 3!!! superman has no crystals and has noway of getting

them back, and, who has all the info??? BRAINIAC DOES!!!

so, brainiac comes, fights superman, kicks his krytonian arse around the world, later, the kid dies, maybe something brainiac does, and voila, superman goes haywire!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 83
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 27/9/2006 6:13:50 PM   
the anomaly

werent there crystals left over at the end?
Luthors woman had 1 didnt she? Im sure
there were some lying around & if anyone can find
em superman could.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 84
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 30/9/2006 12:45:24 PM   
darth silas

i heard somewhere(i cant remember where) that the superman sequel is canceled due to disappointing box office for returns.not surprising really,as the film was extemely boring imo

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 85
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 30/9/2006 1:32:55 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

i heard somewhere(i cant remember where) that the superman sequel is canceled due to disappointing box office for returns.not surprising really,as the film was extemely boring imo

No it hasnt Mr Silas. Nice to see that you misinformed nature hasnt left.

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 86
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 30/9/2006 5:53:49 PM   
Mason Verger

If Warner give Bryan Singer Superman 6, they need to have their heads examined.  People keep making excuses for Superman Returns. The reality is that it failed to achieve it's objective. It was inevitable that a movie with this much hype and advertising should make a profit. But costing more than Spider-Man, it was expected to be as popular and make as much money. It made far less due to poor word of mouth. Half the people who saw it have been dissapointed. Superman Returns was (another) humourless Bryan Singer movie aimed at people who take themselves too seriously. Spider-Man 2 was a sure thing after the success of Spider-Man. The same can not be said of Superman 6.   

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 87
RE: Superman Returns Sequel - 30/9/2006 6:09:35 PM   
sanchia

It is true that there was some debate amongst the studio executives over whether there would be a sequel to Returns.  I think the expectation which they now have that the film will be making over $100m less than anticipated was a factor.  There is the potential to make a truly great film as long as there is more attention paid to certain factors whilst other points in this film are toned down (see Superchild) as they have not been particualrly popular, and let's have some fun as the character is supposed to be primary coloured not the dark figure of this film.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 88
RE: Future Superman Films - 2/10/2006 6:05:42 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

Some things that could make Superman 6 better than Superman Returns (not difficult).

1. An engaging plot
2. No more Luthor! 4 films is more than enough.
3. Originality.
4. A villain as powerful or more powerful than Superman
5. No kryptonite
6. At least three really good action sequences 
7. A belief that superhero films should be fun and escapist rather than pompous and humourless.
8. A change of director.

AMEN TO THAT! For a minute I thought I was the only one who thought Superman Returns smoked bone!!

Honestly, the film was like a collection of religious symbolism all strung together by a flimsy plot that might- just might- have been done in Superman: The Movie. But of course we have the added bonus of superboy, just to ram home the biblical bullshit even harder. Reminds me of Neo flying at the end of the Matrix: Can of worms, much?

It looked great and I'm sure it was a nice little project for Singer, but there was zero substance as an entertaining film.

Oh, and a question: What was the purpose of showing us that flashback of Clark's childhood? It seemed to have no relevance to the story whatsoever, other than to show us he was once a child. Who could fly. Is it an exercise in joining the dots? "Look, there's Kal-el as a kid with super powers. Now don't forget that cos it might come in handy later on- you know, a kid. With super powers..."

Basically, Singer's forced us to see that father-son-son-father crap, now let's focus on Superman again shall we? I am looking forward to Supes VI, but it needs a NEW story, but a GOOD, established villain/evil scheme combo (I'm fine with Luthor again, but lets leave the real estate eh?), a la Kevin Smith's pitch. Do completely original main characters in these films ever work?

I wouldn't have thought the next one could be anything other than an improvement (unless we get a shot-for-shot remake of Supes 4)

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 89
RE: Future Superman Films - 4/10/2006 5:53:54 PM   
Sutty

I don't really understand the bashing that Superman Returns gets sometimes. I thought Singer brought a sense of nostalgia/innocence/purity back to not just the franchise but the character, that has not been seen since Donners version. So he wanted to bring a deeper meaning to the whole thing rather than have Superman fight robots or a giant spider. So what!
Yes, there was the odd niggle. Bosworth as Lois Lane I didn't buy for a second. But look at the set pieces - which I know there was not enough of - which were excellent. The cinematography, the modified suit, the special effects, that music. And most importantly, finding someone who can be the definitive Superman for years to come. Brandon Routh was fantastic. He encapsulated both characters without resorting to imitation, yet he still reminded you of Reeve. Not an easy thing to do.
I for one am looking forward to the next Superman movie and hope Singer returns to direct.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Superman Returns Sequel Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI