Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Man of Steel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Man of Steel Page: <<   < prev  101 102 103 [104] 105   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 1:39:31 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I am almost positive now that you didn't actually watch the film and just had a brief overview read aloud to you by someone who couldn't be arsed going into much detail. Seriously? Did you watch the movie? When Clark first entered the ship, it reactivated from hybernation and sent out a distresss signal that Zod intercepted, leading them to Earth! It's made abudantly clear, more than once, especially since Zod says it was Clark who led them to Earth in the first place.

ah well, its just as well that suit was there then really.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 2/7/2013 1:42:14 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 3091
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 2:15:46 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Out of curiosity where does Clark get the suit from in the original ? Serious question I can't remember

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3092
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 2:54:34 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Out of curiosity where does Clark get the suit from in the original ? Serious question I can't remember

Some awesome material was sent with him in the ship, he stuffed it into his rucksack with the crystal when he goes off North. Once he grows the fortress in 30 seconds he spends ten years there with his hologram crystal Dad! spending hours training and learning! on Wednesday afternoons, just after speed typing, he had Kryptonian needlework classes. After ten years and using the House of El flag /blanket he created an awesome outfit! They didn't show any of it but I am pretty sure that's what happened.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 2/7/2013 2:55:41 PM >

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 3093
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 3:09:47 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

How did a loner who was staying off the grid manage to get work on top secret military installation?.

Quite possibly the stupidest part of the film! This is when I knew they had gone Full Retard!

It was bad enough when the 2 buzz cut types in the bar he just happened to be working in started conveniently banging on about finding something in the ice... Then he's working there!!!!!! On a top secret military project

Nope. Thats just lazy and shite screen writing 101 folks... Ain't no getting away from that, whether you liked this film or not.

And as for all this guess work as to why his suit was on an 18,000 year old ship... Again, nope. The suit is important and beyond iconic! It's presence should have been explained by the filmmakers, within the context of the story. Simple as that!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 2/7/2013 3:12:07 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3094
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 3:21:29 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

How did a loner who was staying off the grid manage to get work on top secret military installation?.

Quite possibly the stupidest part of the film! This is when I knew they had gone Full Retard!

It was bad enough when the 2 buzz cut types in the bar he just happened to be working in started conveniently banging on about finding something in the ice... Then he's working there!!!!!! On a top secret military project

Nope. Thats just lazy and shite screen writing 101 folks... Ain't no getting away from that, whether you liked this film or not.

And as for all this guess work as to why his suit was on an 18,000 year old ship... Again, nope. The suit is important and beyond iconic! It's presence should have been explained by the filmmakers, within the context of the story. Simple as that!

Indeed! the MoS approach is the equivalent of Spider-man finding his outfit in a Kinder-egg his aunt May bought him on the very same day he his bitten buy a Spider :)

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 3095
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 3:24:00 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

Some awesome material was sent with him in the ship, he stuffed it into his rucksack with the crystal when he goes off North. Once he grows the fortress in 30 seconds he spends ten years there with his hologram crystal Dad! spending hours training and learning! on Wednesday afternoons, just after speed typing, he had Kryptonian needlework classes. After ten years and using the House of El flag /blanket he created an awesome outfit! They didn't show any of it but I am pretty sure that's what happened.

Urm... and this is better how?

If the ship is a house El ship. It would make sense it would have the House of El "under armour" clothes.
They may also have had it in various sizes and Jor El just reveals the suit that would fit Kal -El

There are lots of explanations, none of which need to be explicit.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3096
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 3:33:50 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

quote:

If the ship is a house El ship. It would make sense it would have the House of El "under armour" clothes.
They may also have had it in various sizes and Jor El just reveals the suit that would fit Kal -El

Its not really, its more about the run up to wearing the suit. In Donner's version he earned the suit! put some bloody time in! this guy just stole his uncles threads and they clearly looked like they hadn't been washed in 18,000 years!
I don't think at any point it is said that it is a house of El ship! we surmised that only from the House of El suit being there. Which would still make it very convenient! my head hurts...

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 3097
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 3:46:56 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its not really, its more about the run up to wearing the suit. In Donner's version he earned the suit! put some bloody time in! this guy just stole his uncles threads and they clearly looked like they hadn't been washed in 18,000 years!
I don't think at any point it is said that it is a house of El ship! we surmised that only from the House of El suit being there. Which would still make it very convenient! my head hurts...

So if its no better or no worse. No more explicit than versions you do like. Why do you keep on harping on about it as a plot irregularity? Its no more irregular than the Donner one by your own admission.

I feel sorry for you that you allow such a splitting of hairs interfere with your enjoyment of the movie. Or is this is more a result of you not enjoying the movie overall and therefore feel the need to pull the movie apart for own enjoyment?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3098
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 3:57:23 PM   
horribleives

It's amusing how much of the venom directed towards the film seems to come from people who simply weren't paying attention. I thought it was far from perfect but the explanations for minor plot points such as how Clark got on the military project/why his suit was on the ship/how the signal from the ship brought Zod to earth were pretty clear. Convincing? That's down to personal opinion but the explanations were there whether you liked them or not.
What I don't get is how come if these Kryptonians are aliens they look and sound just like us? Eh? EH?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 3099
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:01:41 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I was under the impression that having literally just been told prior to seeing the suit with the El crest that Kryptonions were once great explorers searching out new planets to colonise that it would logically be an El craft, why else would it be on there ?

And wouldn't it seem more logical then why Jor El would even send him to earth in the first place ? The ship has a genesis chamber and he just put all the DNA of Krypton in In his son. Its obviously an El ship and Jor el knew of its existence there is no other explanation.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3100
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:01:55 PM   
Ref

quote:

quote:

No big stretch really. I was offered a job at the MOD as an Administrator, so I'm pretty sure that they'd be loads of 'little' or 'inferior' jobs going in the US Military for everyday folk. Not everyone working for MI5 and MI6 are spies you know, they need Secretaries/Admin Clerks/Cleaners etc. like every other workplace.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 3101
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:02:32 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So if its no better or no worse. No more explicit than versions you do like. Why do you keep on harping on about it as a plot irregularity? Its no more irregular than the Donner one by your own admission.

I feel sorry for you that you allow such a splitting of hairs interfere with your enjoyment of the movie. Or is this is more a result of you not enjoying the movie overall and therefore feel the need to pull the movie apart for own enjoyment?

The suit origin is an irregularity in both, but handled better in S:TM. Its is the shit screenwriting of the whole suit reveal and first outing in MoS that is terrible and I enjoy pulling it apart.

Finding irregularity doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of a movie in the slightest, if the rest of the movie is decent.

Anyway, isn't the whole point of movie forums to praise movies you love and pull apart those you don't!?

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 3102
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:04:40 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It's amusing how much of the venom directed towards the film seems to come from people who simply weren't paying attention. I thought it was far from perfect but the explanations for minor plot points such as how Clark got on the military project/why his suit was on the ship/how the signal from the ship brought Zod to earth were pretty clear. Convincing? That's down to personal opinion but the explanations were there whether you liked them or not.
What I don't get is how come if these Kryptonians are aliens they look and sound just like us? Eh? EH?

Surely its from the people that where paying too much attention.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 3103
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:06:21 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

I was under the impression that having literally just been told prior to seeing the suit with the El crest that Kryptonions were once great explorers searching out new planets to colonise that it would logically be an El craft, why else would it be on there ?

And wouldn't it seem more logical then why Jor El would even send him to earth in the first place ? The ship has a genesis chamber and he just put all the DNA of Krypton in In his son. Its obviously an El ship and Jor el knew of its existence there is no other explanation.

Why didn't they just have the suit put into the original craft that bought Kal to earth.

Post #: 3104
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:14:59 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

Why didn't they just have the suit put into the original craft that bought Kal to earth.

I suppose Crowe could have just stripped butt naked and given him that suit, not sure how people would have taken to Crowe fighting Shannon bare arsed mind...

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3105
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:22:11 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

Did you read my post ?

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3106
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 4:27:26 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suppose Crowe could have just stripped butt naked and given him that suit, not sure how people would have taken to Crowe fighting Shannon bare arsed mind...

might as well of, his suit couldn't stop a knife anyway. At least he could have distracted him with the 'batwing` or 'last chicken in the shop' and slid across the floor onto his pet mutant dragonfly!

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 2/7/2013 4:28:29 PM >

Post #: 3107
RE: Man of Steel - 2/7/2013 9:59:57 PM   
Sutty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

Bruce Willis as Luthor.

You didn't, by any chance, listen to Kevin Smith's thoughts on MoS did you? His reasoning for Bruce Willis to be Lex, was so he could watch him repeatedly get punched in the face by Supes. I like his thought process.

I did!! And I know there were some "personal" reasons for his choosing of Willis, but he gave a couple of decent reasons why Willis could be the man for this role. It would certainly give Luthor a menacing side that we haven't seen live action. And Willis does have a smarmy edge to him that could work well. Imagine Luthor with THAT smirk. Plus it would feel a touch more even in the danger stakes between Luthor and Superman if you had a real hollywood legend tough guy in the role. Certainly worth considering in my opinion.

I just hope that they dont go for another land development story line with Luthor should they use him. Why not make him a senator? Someone on the verge of the presidency that the people believe in? So that the peoples allegiences are torn between Superman (Savior and Alien) and Luthor (Savior in their eyes and human/but a secret villian). If people - or certainly a proportion of them - distrusted superman and he was less deified, that may prove a more substantial weakness initially. It could even carry over in to a couple of movies.

Dude, that would be an awesome plot - I like your thinking.

thanks man! I got a whole bunch of ideas for a Supes sequel. Maybe I should give the Nolan brothers a call... lol

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 3108
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 2:06:39 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

No big stretch really. I was offered a job at the MOD as an Administrator, so I'm pretty sure that they'd be loads of 'little' or 'inferior' jobs going in the US Military for everyday folk. Not everyone working for MI5 and MI6 are spies you know, they need Secretaries/Admin Clerks/Cleaners etc. like every other workplace.

it really is quite a stretch... A MASSIVE one! In a country of 314 Million people he ends up working in a bar where 2 guys just happen to be talking about something... That just happens to turn out to be a ship from his home world.... Then the military powers that be just happen to have a job on the dig site for an off the grid drifter... Who happens to be an alien to the same place as th ship!

A woeful way of getting from A to B in terms of plotting.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 3109
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 8:57:19 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

it really is quite a stretch... A MASSIVE one! In a country of 314 Million people he ends up working in a bar where 2 guys just happen to be talking about something... That just happens to turn out to be a ship from his home world.... Then the military powers that be just happen to have a job on the dig site for an off the grid drifter... Who happens to be an alien to the same place as th ship!

I love the A to B editing too. I particularity loved the TDK rises interrogation room cut straight to Kal and Lois in middle of desert, brilliant.

Post #: 3110
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 10:06:51 AM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

As opposed to just walking straight to the Antarctic for no apparent reason.

Post #: 3111
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 10:17:40 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Crystal told him which way to go....come on man! keep up or watch SM:TM again

Post #: 3112
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 11:39:29 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Baby Kal-el just happens to land on a farm in the middle of nowhere which just happens to be owned by a nice childless couple who just happen to raise him to be a nice person, rather than in Soviet Russia a la Red Son - a country with an area nearly twice as large as the USA (so surely a better target for landing a craft)? Far too convenient.

It's just a matter of suspension of disbelief. Obviously you couldn't suspend yours for this film, likewise others couldn't. There are films where I can't suspend mine. Just one of those things.

My understanding of Clark's job at the military installation is that he was there to carry bags and do other dogsbody tasks, rather than to have anything to do with the top secret stuff. Add to that the statement about the US not calling the shots as it was on Canadian soil (hence Lois' being allowed access). Of course, that kind of implies the Canucks are a bit incompetent...maybe another attempt by a film studio to start a diplomatic incident (e.g. the line in Transformers about Iranians being thick as shit)?

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 3113
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 1:27:07 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Surely its from the people that where paying too much attention.

Well, judging by your comments before it appears you were paying so much attention you completely missed the bit about the ship sending out a signal which led Zod to earth.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3114
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 1:40:34 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Crystal told him which way to go....come on man! keep up or watch SM:TM again

It's been a while I won't deny !

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3115
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 2:03:44 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on now. Tut tut indeed

Post #: 3116
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 2:09:08 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's been a while I won't deny !

If you crank the 5.1 surround up, and then adjust the treble..you will quite clearly be able to hear the crystal say "you must stop dying your hair black and lay off the fake tan, then walk to the Antarctic and throw me into the middle of an iceberg! I will then make a wonderful crystal fortress with conveniently placed power reversal chamber and a white satin sheet covered orgy bed". " Oh and don't forget your House of El blanket, there's no room for plaid and chino's where your going"

Post #: 3117
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 6:21:49 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Baby Kal-el just happens to land on a farm in the middle of nowhere which just happens to be owned by a nice childless couple who just happen to raise him to be a nice person, rather than in Soviet Russia a la Red Son - a country with an area nearly twice as large as the USA (so surely a better target for landing a craft)? Far too convenient.

It's just a matter of suspension of disbelief. Obviously you couldn't suspend yours for this film, likewise others couldn't. There are films where I can't suspend mine. Just one of those things.

My understanding of Clark's job at the military installation is that he was there to carry bags and do other dogsbody tasks, rather than to have anything to do with the top secret stuff. Add to that the statement about the US not calling the shots as it was on Canadian soil (hence Lois' being allowed access). Of course, that kind of implies the Canucks are a bit incompetent...maybe another attempt by a film studio to start a diplomatic incident (e.g. the line in Transformers about Iranians being thick as shit)?

Couldn't have put it better myself. I don't see how that's a massive plot hole RE: Supes getting that job. I mean how many times have we heard about Russian spies having infiltrated the secret services. It's not that hard to believe that someone could *shock horror* forge documents to get a job as a skivvy.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 3118
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 7:55:49 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Couldn't have put it better myself. I don't see how that's a massive plot hole RE: Supes getting that job. I mean how many times have we heard about Russian spies having infiltrated the secret services. It's not that hard to believe that someone could *shock horror* forge documents to get a job as a skivvy.

Well, just add forgery to Clarks growing list of criminal offenses! ..the man is out of control

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 3119
RE: Man of Steel - 3/7/2013 8:11:24 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, just add forgery to Clarks growing list of criminal offenses! ..the man is out of control

He must have learnt from Jonathan and Martha.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 3120
Page:   <<   < prev  101 102 103 [104] 105   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Man of Steel Page: <<   < prev  101 102 103 [104] 105   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI