Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Brotherhood

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> Brotherhood Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brotherhood - 23/10/2005 12:51:13 PM   
creasey

Have just watched the South Korean war film Brotherhood. A film about 2 brothers forced to fight against the Commies.
In a word WOW.
I  can remember the oh-my-god feeling as a "sticky bomb" blew a poor GI apart in Saving Private Ryan. No fire, or smoke, just a man ripped apart.
Brotherhood is filled with countless visions of unlucky troops sharing similar fates.
Add to this Jin-tae, one of the brothers, surging through the film like Rambo on steroids!
Don't get me wrong, the gritty war violence is great, but the thing that sets it apart from the crowd is the brother's relationship.
Dong-Kun Jang, and Bin Won give wonderful performances, and effortlessly keep the viewer engaged throughout the 2.5 hours runtime.
This reportedly took Je-gyu Kang 3.5 years to make, IMO time well spent.

how's it with stains?
Post #: 1
RE: Brotherhood - 2/2/2006 11:16:55 PM   
Trousers

Thought i'd bring this thread up as I just finished watching Brotherhood. I bought it blind the other day and I can say this is the best blind purchase i've made.
It could have just been me being emotional but I did shed a few tears throughout that. ( a few being a large understatement )

Loved it. I was really impressed.
It kept me engaged all 2.5 hours, fantastic!

Ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Kicking, squealing gucci little piggy

Post #: 2
RE: Brotherhood - 4/2/2006 11:05:08 AM   
elab49

I found this to be everything SPR wasn't - if it was an inspiration, it could only have been to improve on a film that was overlong and often boring as hell (the first few minutes were fine - but Spielberg should learn that short sections do not a film make - on the evidence of the last 50 mins of WofW it is something that still confuses him).

But this doesn't lose interest, and is certainly never boring, and while I accept the comment on melodrama, at least it meant it was emotionally interesting without using clichéd button-pushing techniques.

Superb actions scenes as well and the director handled the bigger crowd scenes superbly.

I'd also recommend Shiri. It is a very enjoyable thriller and also star someone you only see in passing here - the wonderful Min-Sik Choi - and I do wish Chihwaseon would get to the top of my rental queue as I missed it on BBC4!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Trousers)
Post #: 3
RE: Brotherhood - 20/2/2006 11:42:54 PM   
kingp_35

Just got round to watching this movie and to say I was lown away by it is an understatement. It wipes the floor with Saving Private Ryan. Some of the acting is a tad off but its easily ignored. The Battle scenes are better than anything Hollywood has produced. the obvious thing that sets this movie apart is the relationship between the two Brothers.

What a movie!!

My Movie Forum

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Brotherhood - 23/3/2006 10:08:20 AM   
Curtis

I finally got round to watching this last night; I can whole-heartedly agree with the positive comments made above.

Very impressed! 

(in reply to kingp_35)
Post #: 5
RE: Brotherhood - 20/8/2006 3:13:15 PM   
Timon

I brought this as a blind buy and just watched it and i thought it was great.

There are obvious parallels between it and Private Ryan with the graphic violence and the film being bookended by scenes in the present day but personally i thought this was the better film...and i love Private Ryan.

While some may say the dialogue may be a bit overdramatic, i didn't mind and i was swept up in the film's scope and grandeur. Top notch performances from the two brothers and i can honestly say that tears were streaming down my face for the last 10 mins.

Why can't we or the Americans make such amazing films with a budget of only $13 million? It looked like it cost 100 times that much.

< Message edited by Timon -- 21/8/2006 2:05:41 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Curtis)
Post #: 6
RE: Brotherhood - 21/8/2006 1:43:48 PM   
boove

saw this finally the other night.  i agree with all the positive comments.  never been a fan of SPR and this just dumps on it from a great height for me.

incredible and i had no idea how much it cost so thanks for posting that.

WOW.  excellent!  might watch it again this week. 

i too was starting to sucumb to the whole teary eye problem. 

powerful stuff!  the scene with the bones. 

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Brotherhood - 21/8/2006 2:06:07 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: boove

i too was starting to sucumb to the whole teary eye problem. 

powerful stuff!  the scene with the bones. 

Good to know it wasn't just me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to boove)
Post #: 8
RE: Brotherhood - 15/11/2006 6:47:14 PM   
Timon

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Brotherhood - 17/11/2006 4:19:45 PM   
Orbital

very good movie, perhaps a little too melodramatic but still a very good movie
Actress Eun-ju Lee died last year

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Brotherhood - 8/12/2006 4:30:30 PM   
Deviation

Great film. May have too many battles for its own good. Don't really remember it well since it was long ago that I rented it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 11
RE: Brotherhood - 8/12/2006 6:38:26 PM   
dj vivace

Fantastic film, easily rivals Saving Private Ryan for the battles scenes. Bought it ages ago but i've only watched it once, i think it's time i watched it again

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 12
RE: Brotherhood - 24/12/2006 1:25:59 PM   
Mojo

Just finished watching this and thought it was fantastic. The battle scenes were outstanding, especially considering the cost of the film was so low, but the relationship between the brothers is what made the film so special. I was extremely close to tears at the end of the film!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 13
RE: Brotherhood - 15/12/2008 6:40:15 PM   
Timon

I just watched this again... and once more, come the ending... man-tears.

I still can't believe it only cost $13 million. Some of the battle scenes make parts of Saving Private Ryan look like a fracus in a sandpit.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 14
RE: Brotherhood - 15/12/2008 6:45:46 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I think it's compulsory with this film.  Bey Logan on the commentary is audibly affected towards the end.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Brotherhood - 15/12/2008 11:57:43 PM   
Jackal

quote:

Tell me about it.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

When you see the dude's grand-daughter looking at him as he breaks down at the place where his brother fell; it just brings home to her something she hadn't known about.

One of these moments..

SPOILERS OVER!!!

Excellent film. One of my favourites on war.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Brotherhood - 16/12/2008 3:26:47 PM   
tftrman

Thank god, it's not just me! I cried like a little girl when I saw this for the first time! My girlfriend wants to see it so I'll have to hold it together a bit more next time. Brilliant film.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 17
RE: Brotherhood - 10/1/2009 11:15:14 PM   
W.R Learmont

banana avatar" border=0 align="absmiddle" width="100" height="100" />

i never heard of this film until i saw it in hmv for £5 so i took a gamble and brought it and thats when i found out im a good gambler! this film was so good! really emotional and brutal but overall - fantastic - im really chuffed i got it now and im glad theres a thread for this not well known korean hit!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 18
RE: Brotherhood - 13/1/2009 9:20:07 AM   
richCie

i really didnt get into this that much...
i thought the plot was way too convulted and some dodgy effects really ruined some of the latter battle scenes (i.e the planes flying over, they really werent needed, and they looked appalling, i was cringing the whole time they were there)
i was unfortunately pretty disappointed with this, since i'd been looking forward to it for a long time.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to W.R Learmont)
Post #: 19
RE: Brotherhood - 13/1/2009 3:33:31 PM   
explodercide

I liked this movie ... some of it was a bit too cheesy ... but overall I enjoyed it, and man-tears certainly were the order of the day. 

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 20
RE: Brotherhood - 13/2/2009 12:42:30 AM   
pauljeremiah

What to say about this splendid , gorgeous movie ? In one sentence : the best war movie I have ever seen - ever! It is perfect in every aspect: every scene is well done with sense and attention,really catching story , history facts.... just everything. The other chapter is special effects. These were done absolutely tremendous and it is far better than any American film and with deep storyline which almost made me cry you will get the full-value experience.

The movie starts retrospectively when old man returns in his thoughts to the Korean War where he fought next to his older brother. He seemed to him tough and rude and that he wants to reach the medal by any means that necessary. But all this is the only way to get younger brother back home to his sick old mother. The all movie draws changes of both brothers and their attitude to war and life. And finally when the older one things that his brother is dead he has nothing to fight for and changes the side - becomes one of the Communist. But during one of the battles they meet each other again this time everyone at other side - they are enemies now.....(very end of the movie)

(in reply to explodercide)
Post #: 21
RE: Brotherhood - 28/11/2011 12:35:06 PM   
Timon

This weekend I watched 71-Into The Fire which is based on a true story of a group of 71 undertrained and undergunned student-soldiers for South Korea during the Korean War, who were mostly killed on August 11, 1950, during the Battle of P'ohang-dong, while defending P'ohang-dong girls' middle school.

Again, with a minimal budget, the Koreans really do know how to shoot an action/war scene. The only thing really hampering it was some gratuitous melodrama and the forced storyline about the 'bad apple who eventually does the right thing'.

Still, it was a decent film which I'd recommend.

(in reply to pauljeremiah)
Post #: 22
My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 9:47:36 AM   
Timon

As a fan of Brotherhood and director Je-Kyu Kang's other film Shiri, I was surprised to learn that he made a film in 2011 that slipped under my radar.

It's called My Way, and despite sounding like a Frank Sinatra biopic, it seems to be another epic war film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606384/

"Inspired by a true story. Jun Shik works for Tatsuo's grandfather's farm while Korea is colonized by Japan, but he has a dream to participate in Tokyo Olympics as a marathon runner. Tatsuo also aims to become a marathon runner, so the two are in rivalry. But war breaks out and they both are forced to enlist in the army. Tatsuo becomes the head of defense in Jun Shik's unit and he devises a scheme but fails. Jun Shik and Tatsuo are captured by the Soviets. They run away but soon are captured by Germans and forced to separate. In 1944, they meet again at the shores of Normandy."

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYk5ww8Jjc

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 9:53:01 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

As a fan of Brotherhood and director Je-Kyu Kang's other film Shiri, I was surprised to learn that he made a film in 2011 that slipped under my radar.

It's called My Way, and despite sounding like a Frank Sinatra biopic, it seems to be another epic war film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606384/

"Inspired by a true story. Jun Shik works for Tatsuo's grandfather's farm while Korea is colonized by Japan, but he has a dream to participate in Tokyo Olympics as a marathon runner. Tatsuo also aims to become a marathon runner, so the two are in rivalry. But war breaks out and they both are forced to enlist in the army. Tatsuo becomes the head of defense in Jun Shik's unit and he devises a scheme but fails. Jun Shik and Tatsuo are captured by the Soviets. They run away but soon are captured by Germans and forced to separate. In 1944, they meet again at the shores of Normandy."

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYk5ww8Jjc

I watched this last weekend and bloody loved it! I originally got it as it mentioned marathon running so thought it would be a good watch but wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be. Loved Brotherhood as well. I'm currently waiting for Friend from Lovefilm as I need to see more of the rather delicious Dong-Gun Jang

Highly recommend this film

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 10:02:38 AM   
AxlReznor

I'm a big fan of this movie. Don't get the negative comments about Saving Private Ryan that have crept in, but I agree that Brotherhood is brilliant. I think Shiri is a great action movie, too... and features Yunjin Kim from Lost in her breakout role.

See also Feng Xiaogang's 'Assembly'.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 10:17:14 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Just realised I have Coastguard and The Warriors Way on my rental list as well so a right Dong-Gun Jang fest

I've just added Shiri and Assembly

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 26
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 10:22:31 AM   
Timon

The Warrior's Way is quite an odd experience. It's like a supernatural ninja western that is really rubbish, but highly entertaining.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 27
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 10:25:51 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

The Warrior's Way is quite an odd experience. It's like a supernatural ninja western that is really rubbish, but highly entertaining.

Yep. It's really not a good film... but I like it anyway.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 12:37:59 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Just realised I have Coastguard and The Warriors Way on my rental list as well so a right Dong-Gun Jang fest

quote:

Hobbitonlass

Ha. Dong-fest.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 29
RE: My Way: From The Director Of Brotherhood - 11/1/2013 2:05:09 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Hobbitonlass

Ha. Dong-fest.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> Brotherhood Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI