Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supergirl - 14/7/2006 5:34:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Supergirl - 14/7/2006 10:05:55 PM   
empiregal5774

Fab film this, if you watched it when it came out and you were 6!!! Most people have seen it though, so no review needed I feel. But I will say this...
I'm afraid any kind of re-make or follow on movie to this would be a complete cock-up. Take Catwoman. Beautiful actress + loads of moola chucked at the making = rubbish. Batgirl- same. There are no people in Hollywood willing to give a strong powerful female lead the care and attention she deserves to flesh out the character and spend time on a decent script. In fact if we ever see WonderWoman heading this way in cinemas I don't think any bookies would give me the time of day to place a bet on it bombing. Prove me wrong pleaaassseeee!

< Message edited by empiregal5774 -- 14/7/2006 10:11:08 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Supergirl - 15/7/2006 8:27:53 AM   
Monkey Wrench

I thought this film rocked when I watched it as a kid. But I loved the fact that she was gorgeous and she could fly. So friggin' 80's, but when you'e that fit, who cares. A bit like Corey Feldman, really.

Who put the brakes on courage?

Post #: 3
RE: Supergirl - 17/7/2006 2:53:22 PM   
Caster

Ah yes.  Nostalgia candyfloss, and that's a good thing.  Plus Slater was fit, even if you were eight years old and didn't know what fit meant.  Great flying scenes if nothing else.

(in reply to Monkey Wrench)
Post #: 4
RE: Supergirl - 17/7/2006 3:08:40 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Bloody awful film, despite the presence of Peter Cook.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 5
RE: Supergirl - 17/7/2006 5:10:17 PM   
stuartbannerman

Decent film. I watched this when i was about 13 i think.
Doesnt really fit into the Superman Legend Story but so what. its an entertaining Super hero film and thats all that counts.
Plus Jerry Goldsmith's score is in his top projects.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 6
RE: Supergirl - 18/7/2006 8:33:03 AM   
goldleader

I loved this as a kid but havent seen it in years.  It used to scare the shit out of me also.  All that black magic stuff.

Also the special effects are better in this than in Superman IV and that was released 3 years later.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 7
RE: Supergirl - 18/7/2006 8:44:35 AM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuartbannerman

Decent film. I watched this when i was about 13 i think.
Doesnt really fit into the Superman Legend Story but so what. its an entertaining Super hero film and thats all that counts.

Yeah but how annoying you find out that there is anouther one from your planet of origin and she's a pretty woman!!! but she's your damn cousin, bad creative mistake, unless they want to go down that Jerry Lee Lewis route....Superman Incest. 

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 8
RE: Supergirl - 18/7/2006 3:35:10 PM   
Noelg25

I have both the theatrical and director's cut of this film. I hadnt watched this in over 17yrs but watching it again, God Helen Slater looks so hot in that Supergirl outfit. Was it possible to make a woman that hot in that costume? A BIG FAT HELL YEAH!!! She certainly did carry it well amongst other things... but yes a good film, beats Superman IV thats for sure...

Man Of Steel will rock!

2013 is Superman's year!

Metropolis, IL here I come for Superman Celebration!!

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 9
A genuine 'SHASSIC' - 1/10/2006 2:11:39 AM   
Judiedenchinatrench

Supergirl is kindly placed in to the category of "Shassic" (Sh't classic)- A film so poor that it stands up as a loved classic.(another film easy added is Santa Claus the movie]

As every one says states Supergirl hardly matches the same mould as his kryptonite cousin. But despite its cheesyness, the film is downright entertaining. pure Camp fun at its best. Dunnaway and a bewildered peter cook are brilliant, whilst Helen slatr and peter otoole are equally as good. Jerry Goldsmiths music shines too. Overall it's complete crap but brilliant and fun in it's equal breath.

Post #: 10
RE: A genuine 'SHASSIC' - 20/3/2013 4:45:46 PM   
Phubbs

Supergirl (1984)

After the third and rather dismal 'Superman' film we got this spin off from the franchise about Superman's cousin. To be totally honest any film revolving around spin off characters you know to be weary of, Superboy, Supergirl, Superdog etc...could easily be duff outcomes if created. However this film is actually a surprisingly good offering which I don't think did any harm a tall.

The main reason for this is the good casting, in my books. Slater as 'Supergirl' is a great choice as she not only looks the part but does a decent job portraying the character too. The Salkind's made the right choice in going with an unknown just as they did with Reeve and for me it really shines through. The casting of Dunaway as the evil 'Selena' is again another great choice because Dunaway does the bitch thing really well and she also has a brilliant presence as the evil sorcerer, a perfect fit.

Marc McClure back again as 'Olsen' gives the film some needed credit and believability within the Superman franchise and Maureen Teefy is also solid as 'Lois Lane's' younger sister. Everyone else is your standard background fluff and could of been played by many, harsh but true. Such a shame the Reeve cameo never happened as that would have been sweet.

The rest of the film is naturally pretty obvious plot wise but it does exactly what you would expect for the franchise. What I like about this is the fact all the effects are still just about on par with the Superman films, Slater flying, hovering and performing super feats looks fine, it doesn't look hokey (for the time). Doesn't have the overall shine of course but it still does the job well if you ask me, apart from the 'Argo City' sets at the start maybe.

We also get some nice background work/info on 'Argo City', 'the Phantom Zone' (finally) and the Omegahedron serves well for the story, it all ties in within the whole franchise nicely. What I mean by that is, it looks as if it could fit within the 'Superman' films without an issue.

Looking back now it is of course hammy but its still a fun adventure, I enjoyed it more when I was a kid admittedly. Supergirl looks cute but cool in her outfit and does a much better job of disguising herself with her alter ego of 'Lisa' than Superman did, at least she actually looked different. Kinda yearns for the Superman score but I guess that wouldn't be right I suppose.

Only thing, 'Argo City' is in space right? and on 'Krypton' right? so how does it still exist for this film?. Also at the end Supergirl flies into the sea to get back there, soooo is 'Argo City' under the sea? is there a portal she went through down there? is 'Argo City' in another dimension? am I being thick here of what?? kinda lost me on that one.

(in reply to Judiedenchinatrench)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Supergirl Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI