Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

One Foot In The Grave

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> One Foot In The Grave Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 10:31:33 AM   
TobiasFunke

Anyone here a fan of this excellent sitcom? I think One Foot is one of the most original sitcoms to have been made in Britain, its not just the usual 'paint by numbers' sitcom where you can predict what is going to happen. Instead, everything is set up so intricately that even the most innocent suggestion from Victor or Margaret can end up having huge consequences later in the episode. For a comedy, it could sometimes almost be pitch black in content, such as the episode Hearts of Darkness in which Victor stumbles upon some cruelty taking place in a nursing home. Happy endings were not guaranteed in One Foot, and even the final episode did something unconventional in sitcom: killed the main character. The show also did things with its premise that were unheard of in sitcom, such as basing an entire episode in a car stuck on the motorway, and another episode which featured Victor stuck at home alone waiting for jury service. Anyone have a favourite episode or moment in particular?

I was watching Curb Your Enthusiasm the other day and was surprised at some of the similarities between that show and One Foot! Grouchy, balding lead character who gets into often bizarre, always humiliating situations and who most of the time is right! Like two peas in a pod!  That's not to suggest Larry David stole the idea for his own show, of course! I prefer One Foot anyway, as Victor can swear on a par with Larry!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!
Post #: 1
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 10:41:23 AM   
Merly

Me and my dad love this show. Itís just so bloody funny. Victor Meldrew is a great character. Some of the situations he finds himself in are hilarious. My fave episode being when the street lamp gets knocked through their bedroom window.
Also the episode where the farmer has him out in the field looking for his wifeís wedding ring and it turns out there is no wedding ring the farmer is just using Victor as a scarecrow.

What I like about this show is how there is always something dark that happens and this juxtaposed with the comedy just makes it even darker and the comedy even funnier.

I donít think many people on here will like it or admit to liking it. Itís just not cool to like One Foot in The Grave.
I havenít watched Curb your enthusiasm yet, do you think I would enjoy it?

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 2
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 10:51:23 AM   
Heywood

I'm a big fan of the show too. I agree with you that it is rather similar to the excellent Curb your Enthusiasm, but suspect not everyone will (Curb is more 'cool', I guess). Perhaps One Foot in the Grave may seem a little cosy to some these days, but it does have that very dark streak that sets it apart form the usual suburban sit-coms. I like David Renwick's writing a lot and also enjoyed his recent Love Soup.
Not sure which episode is my favourite, but I enjoyed the ones with Angus Deayton as the neighbour. He always seemed to come off worst in his dealings with Victor. The crab crawling into his shorts was particularly memorable.
I would certainly recommend Curb Your Enthusiasm too. Larry David is such an argumentative so-and-so, but, like Meldrew, he is nearly always in the right in the argument. He just rails at the unfairness in life, but often puts his foot in it or goes that little bit too far. It has a bit of the cringe-factor that the Office has. Great stuff.

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 3
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 12:56:27 PM   
jediwarrior

I love this program. I have brought the first four series on DVD. The good thing with these is you also get the Christmas Specials included in the DVD's as well. Normally you have to buy them by themselves.

I am currently watching series 2. Last one I watch was when they go to there friends Holiday Hotel to stay with them, and Victor puts a pint glass on his head which Margaret has just superglue together and it get stuck on his head like a dalek  and he has to go to sleep with it stuck on his head.

I also see Series 5 is out next month on DVD. I shall be buying that when it is out as well

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 4
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 1:03:28 PM   
Merly

quote:

I am currently watching series 2. Last one I watch was when they go to there friends Holiday Hotel to stay with them, and Victor puts a pint glass on his head which Margaret has just superglue together and it get stuck on his head like a dalek  and he has to go to sleep with it stuck on his head.

Ah the guys a legend. Love it.

Margarets really funny too. Her constant state of exasperation at Victors antics is hilarious.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 5
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 1:07:05 PM   
BobaJango

Excellant show. The last ever episode was quite upsetting!

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 6
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 1:26:02 PM   
Heywood

For some reason, I never saw the last episode. Seemed a shame to kill him off, but I can understand why it was done. I guess the series had run it's course by then.

The first episode I ever watched is still one of my favourites: where some cousin of Margeret mistakes Victor for some guy called Steve and then proceeds to moan about what a bastard Victor was years before. The daren't tell they guy the truth and end up dropping off  'Steve' outside some strangers house. Victor ends up hiding under the householder's bushes in the pouring rain, until the cousin catches him. Much confusion results, as usual.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 7
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 2:34:34 PM   
TobiasFunke

Its one of those shows that have so many great episodes that its difficult to pick a favourite. The one with Victor buried alive with the plant pot on his head is brilliant, as is Warm Champagne, when they discover the old woman in their bed. Margaret says "you don't expect to go out for the evening and come home to find that your husband has taken up necrophilia!"  Another reason its a great show is for the supporting characters, like Patrick and Pippa, Mr. Swainey ("is it me or is it moist, Mr. Meldrew?" ) and best of all, Victor's arch-enemy Mrs Warboys. The neighbourhood watch episode where she buys a hand grenade to protect herself is priceless for Victor's reaction alone. Another great moment is when she delivers to Victor the stuffed dog 'Nippy', which Victor has been led to believe was a living dog. "How am I supposed to take it for a walk? Nail it to a skateboard?"

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 8
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 2:39:47 PM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

Excellant show. The last ever episode was quite upsetting!

I agree. It was a great finale though. Really quite sinister. *SPOILER* If I remember rightly it ended with Margaret meeting the woman who knocked Victor down and it was kind of left with us wondering whether Margaret had poisoned her or not. Really quite dark.

There are just so many great episodes. I also love Mrs Warbuoys. She's hilarious too.

quote:

Its one of those shows that have so many great episodes that its difficult to pick a favourite. The one with Victor buried alive with the plant pot on his head is brilliant, as is Warm Champagne, when they discover the old woman in their bed. Margaret says "you don't expect to go out for the evening and come home to find that your husband has taken up necrophilia!"

Thatís the episode also where Patrick and Pippa are watching as the old lady tries to get out of the window and Patrick goes ď Thereís some sort of weird creature hanging out of the window, itís all wrinkled and horrible, heís trying to coax it back in with a biscuitĒ.

< Message edited by Merly -- 14/7/2006 2:43:16 PM >

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 9
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 3:02:47 PM   
bigtimedwarfer

*Spoiler*

I always liked the one where the delivery guy brings him a plant/small tree whilst Victor is upstairs, victor tells him to leave it in the downstairs loo.  Later on Victor actually finds it planted in the toilet bowl. 

Well I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast, with a major and I mean major... leaflet campaign.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 10
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 3:15:54 PM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigtimedwarfer

*Spoiler*

I always liked the one where the delivery guy brings him a plant/small tree whilst Victor is upstairs, victor tells him to leave it in the downstairs loo.  Later on Victor actually finds it planted in the toilet bowl. 

"I asked him if, for the time being, he'd put it in the downstairs toilet for me, and you know what he's done? He's only planted it in the pan! Yes, actually in the lavatory pan, with compost and everything! I mean, how anyone can be so utterly goofy just boggles the mind... a mistake anyone could have made? Are you stark... I mean, what am I supposed to do, cock my leg against the trunk like a Yorkshire terrier? "

< Message edited by Merly -- 14/7/2006 3:24:44 PM >

(in reply to bigtimedwarfer)
Post #: 11
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 3:16:36 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merly

That's the episode also where Patrick and Pippa are watching as the old lady tries to get out of the window and Patrick goes " There's some sort of weird creature hanging out of the window, it's all wrinkled and horrible, he's trying to coax it back in with a biscuitĒ.

That's got me laughing in tears at work reading that.

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 12
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 14/7/2006 4:09:05 PM   
TobiasFunke

Excellent quotes, I'm laughing as I read them. Another great moment is in the episode called Love and Death, inwhich they go to the seaside to stay at a friend's guesthouse. On the train there, Victor notices an old woman who is reading The Joy of Sex, which he comments upon to Margaret when the old woman leaves. Margaret says something like "it didnt put you off finding words for this newspaper brainteaser. Keyword 'undemocratic'. You put 'mount', 'moan', 'mound', 'mate', 'nude', 'ride', 'rude', 'rod', 'rut', 'nut', 'ram'...and dormice"

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 13
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 15/7/2006 6:55:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigtimedwarfer

*Spoiler*

"I asked him if, for the time being, he'd put it in the downstairs toilet for me, and you know what he's done? He's only planted it in the pan! Yes, actually in the lavatory pan, with compost and everything! I mean, how anyone can be so utterly goofy just boggles the mind... a mistake anyone could have made? Are you stark... I mean, what am I supposed to do, cock my leg against the trunk like a Yorkshire terrier? "

Brilliant. Probably my favourite moment from this excellent show.

As mentioned, the episode that takes place entirely in a car is superb. The wasp in the ice cube is great, but the best moment is the song that the mechanic's have left on a tape in the car

"There's man we can't stand any longer
Always on the bleedin' moan
Every time we fix his bloody Honda
He's back grousin' on the phone

Victor Meldrew, Victor Meldrew
He can stick it up his bum (up his bum)
And blow himself to kingdom come"

Made even better by the comment from Mrs Warboys, about how well they hold a note

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 14
RE: One Foot In The Grave - 17/7/2006 9:54:33 AM   
jediwarrior

Watched the episode last night from series 2,  Where the episode is just him and Margaret in bed and Victor cannot get to sleep.

The best bit is when the the car alarm goes of and he has to go out and turn it off, he comes back in with a rotten dead hedgehog on his foot instead of his slipper which fell off

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> One Foot In The Grave Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI