Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  511 512 513 514 [515]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2014 6:59:12 PM   
Rinc

I think you're right ElephantBoy, we've been playing poorly but we've still got some points on the board. Everyone knew we wouldn't win the title this season, most sensible people didn't think we'd truly challenge. Perhaps there was a chance at this early stage if everyone hit the ground running but with so many new players it was unlikely.

The biggest problem we're facing is our defence. Silly errors cost us the title last season and we don't have the goals to make up for it so far this one. I can see our goals coming, if you look back to 2 seasons ago we didn't look great but then it clicked and I expect that to happen again. However, Rodgers and his team have been unable to fix the defence in 2 years, if anything it's getting worse.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15421
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2014 1:43:08 AM   
ElephantBoy

Defence is the main problem and doesn't looked to have been solved I agree with that. I guess it was good that you were able to sneak under
the radal last season whereas now their are big expectations. If you finish fourth and can win a cup or at least go close I think that should be
a good season. Rodgers has done a good job up till now so deserves time to turn things around.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15422
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2014 11:41:55 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Clearly Rodgers is facing a number of new challenges this season:
- Life without Suarez (and so far with no Sturridge)
- The added pressure and commitments of CL football
- New players coming into the team

Possibly he needed a bit of luck for this all to right itself immediately and for business to continue as before. Maybe Balotelli coming in and scoring freely, or at least Lovren bringing his Southampton form with him rather than dipping back to his Ligue 1 performances.

The fact that this has not happened, indicates that Liverpool will need a bit more than the rub of the green for things to sort them selves out. What they'll need is a good manager who can work with his squad to correct what is wrong and put things right. I can't think of many managers in the PL that I would trust more than Rodgers to achieve this. As has been said, they are currently only 3 points off a CL spot and 6 points behind the reigning champions.

Its hard to see the glass as half full when the side is struggling. But the positive I see is that when Rodgers works this out (as I think he will) Liverpool will be in a better shape than they were last season. They will be a more balanced team, with a better defensive record and won't be reliant on both a world class player like Suarez (who until they are able to threaten for the PL title each season or at least be in the CL every year no team really deserves) and another who was in the form of his life.

Undoubtedly the team will be judged tonight. And if things go as they did in the first match between the two the judgement will be harsh. But I think we really have to remember that while Liverpool are still making the adjustments necessary to be one of the top 4 teams in the PL, Real are without doubt one of the top 4 (and most likely top 2) teams in Europe.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 4/11/2014 11:42:11 AM >

Post #: 15423
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2014 12:10:49 AM   
ElephantBoy

Don't really think it is fair to judge them against possibly the best club side in the world right now. Liverpool still have a decent chance of
getting through their group in second place. To get to the knockouts in their first season back should be enough, and then to get back in the
CL for next season should be the aim in the league.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 15424
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2014 8:24:45 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I was saying it before the game before the media reaction after it, but for me as a Liverpool fan I'd be pretty disgusted with Rodgers team choice last night. If both teams are at their best, on paper, Real Madrid should win. But Rodgers should have confidence in his side and the last thing he should be doing is knocking the teams confidence further by saying we can't win this one so why field a full strength side. You've always got to have belief as a manager and this was just a prime example of a complete polar opposite.

Those players were desperate for CL football once again, and they earnt it. What's more games don't get much bigger than Real Madrid at the Bernabau, they're the games the top players strive to play in. So to work hard last season and get to that point only to be dropped as the manager has no faith and is prioritising the Chelsea game is rather despicable, I'm sure there's a few players feeling hurt by Rodgers decision.

The reserves did well, although how much of it was Real not firing on all cylinders? And could you have possibly got the result had the full strength team been playing?

If this was a smaller team and you were sitting comfortable in your group I would understand this, but you're not and it wasn't. Rodgers should have been going at this game thinking why can't we win this? What's there to lose? At least you will have tried, instead he held up a white flag.

Rodgers was very keen to argue that Liverpool could handle a PL and CL campaign and that wasn't the reason you did so well last season. Well this decision says exactly the opposite, sorry guys we can't handle Real and Chelsea in one week.

He needs to get a result now against Chelsea and ideally win his two remaining CL games to get any kind of vindication for this ridiculous decision.

As a Utd fan, I actually quite like Rodgers, but if he continues to make decisions like this and make terrible signings then I can't see you guys winning any silverware under the guy.

Now back to me worrying about Man Utd's problems

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 15425
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 11/11/2014 4:34:52 PM   
Sinatra

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 15426
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 12/11/2014 4:18:14 AM   
ElephantBoy

It seems every week I am telling someone that either Man Utd or Liverpool will finish fourth this season, and then every week both teams
seem to throw that logic back in my face. I know Utd won this week, but it was only Palace, and it was only 1-0

Maybe Southampton are the most likely from the rest to crash the party

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 15427
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 12/11/2014 4:03:55 PM   
The Janitor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I was saying it before the game before the media reaction after it, but for me as a Liverpool fan I'd be pretty disgusted with Rodgers team choice last night. If both teams are at their best, on paper, Real Madrid should win. But Rodgers should have confidence in his side and the last thing he should be doing is knocking the teams confidence further by saying we can't win this one so why field a full strength side. You've always got to have belief as a manager and this was just a prime example of a complete polar opposite.

Those players were desperate for CL football once again, and they earnt it. What's more games don't get much bigger than Real Madrid at the Bernabau, they're the games the top players strive to play in. So to work hard last season and get to that point only to be dropped as the manager has no faith and is prioritising the Chelsea game is rather despicable, I'm sure there's a few players feeling hurt by Rodgers decision.

The reserves did well, although how much of it was Real not firing on all cylinders? And could you have possibly got the result had the full strength team been playing?

If this was a smaller team and you were sitting comfortable in your group I would understand this, but you're not and it wasn't. Rodgers should have been going at this game thinking why can't we win this? What's there to lose? At least you will have tried, instead he held up a white flag.

Rodgers was very keen to argue that Liverpool could handle a PL and CL campaign and that wasn't the reason you did so well last season. Well this decision says exactly the opposite, sorry guys we can't handle Real and Chelsea in one week.

He needs to get a result now against Chelsea and ideally win his two remaining CL games to get any kind of vindication for this ridiculous decision.

As a Utd fan, I actually quite like Rodgers, but if he continues to make decisions like this and make terrible signings then I can't see you guys winning any silverware under the guy.

Now back to me worrying about Man Utd's problems

I think Liverpool were more aggressive and defended much better which limited Real. However had Liverpool equalized I think Real could have pushed up a gear or two and found a winner but as it was they seemed happy to coast home 1-0.

I agree with your broader point about the team selection. It was disappointing and I don’t think it did anyone any good, the players, the manager or the fans. I don't understand how Toure comes in, looks good, the defence as a unit is better and then he is immediately dropped for the Chelsea game.

Rodgers is a young manager and much like a young player he will make mistakes. He has shown enough promise to earn time and patience, I just hope he gets it.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 15428
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 24/11/2014 9:35:50 AM   
Mojo

Absolutely shocking state of affairs at the moment. Something needs to change, I just don't know what. Is it Rodgers? I like him and really want him to do well so I want him to be given the chance to turn things around but we're only 6 points from bottom after third of the way through the season. That is absolutely dire.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to The Janitor)
Post #: 15429
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 24/11/2014 9:51:33 AM   
The Janitor

Yeah that was really really bad....

Palace were better than Liverpool in every area of pitch and were deserving winners.

Yesterday’s game reminded me of the final games under Houllier or Benitez were the players seemed to have lost faith in the manager and his philosophy, which is an unbelievable point to have gotten to so quickly.

I like Rodgers and I really hope he turns it around. If he does he will be a much stronger manager for it but if he doesn't pick up a win soon (especially on Wednesday) then I fear it may be out of his hands.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 15430
Page:   <<   < prev  511 512 513 514 [515]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  511 512 513 514 [515]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI