Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  509 510 511 512 [513]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/7/2014 10:47:03 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

I'd love Sanchez but he won't come.

Prof, looks like Suarez to Spain is Summer 2014's 'Boring Transfer Saga'.

And I thought it was going to be Yaya Toure

I know it is how things are done these days. And I know its my own fault for reading the headlines and clicking on the links. But I find it teeth-achingly dull already

I'm pretty certain any Boring Transfer Saga will never beat the legendary 'Fabregas to Barca' which ran for about 3 years.

Oh that was a good one. I'm always amazed that Hazard isn't about 28 as before he joined Chelsea there seemed years of rumours about where he'd go.

Anyhow, looks like this might be a short and sweet one http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28112887 I'd read it very much as the agreement last season was another year with Liverpool and if a big boy came in he could go with their blessing once a fair deal was struck.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15361
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/7/2014 10:52:20 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

He deserves it. The guy has got serious problems and needs as much punishment as can be justified.

It's a massive pain as a Liverpool fan and my first reaction was that it was unfair on us. It means he can't play for us or even train with us, and it'll be hard to sell him or sell him at the price he could've commanded. But looking at it objectively he deserves it and if he were playing for any other club I'd want him banned.

Its a very honest response from a Liverpool fan. And my first feeling was that it was harsh on the club in a situation they have no control over. But I had to admit that this wasn't something he hadn't done before. And as Liverpool have had offers and instead chosen to keep the player and give him a pay rise, at some point they made a reasoned decision that the upside of Suarez is great, but that was a gamble.

But isn't that the point, because he has done it three times shouldn't there be a totting up process? When you add the other two biting offences plus the racism issue I think he should be getting longer. I also find it silly that it isn't all one ban club and country combined. He will be back by the end of October so I don't see it affecting Liverpool's season too much.

As for Lalliana once again the price is a big steep, its a good signing, but it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled to make the step up at least at first. The most important area for Liverpool to focus on is the defence, maybe a holding midfielder. If they don't tighten up I can't see them winning the title.

Apologies if my English was not clear, but the part in bold was meant to be read with the following sentence. To try to clarify. Initially I thought a club ban in a position where a club has no control over the player was harsh. But as the player had previous at Liverpool, and as they had not just kept him, but had given him a new contract they must have included the possibility that something could happen with him in their thinking.

Basically Liverpool are just buying Southampton, aren't they? As Southampton were one of the best teams to watch last season this is by no means a terrible thing. But I'd also like to see them look further for their acquisitions. Playing complete fantasy football, one of the players who impressed me most at the WC was B&H's Pjanic. Admittedly he just signed a new contract, but Roma aren't doing much, aren't going anywhere, I think he joined them for around 10M and personally if I had 20+M to spend I'd have been giving his agent a call.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15362
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/7/2014 4:45:56 PM   
The Janitor

With their interest in Lovran it does look that way and I do have sympathy for Southampton but sadly it is the nature of modern football.

I am sure Southampton have done the same(maybe not on the same scale) to other teams lower down the leagues on their way to the Premiership and Liverpool are currently on the other end of the same process with the Barca/Suarez deal.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 15363
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/7/2014 11:55:12 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Janitor

With their interest in Lovran it does look that way and I do have sympathy for Southampton but sadly it is the nature of modern football.

I am sure Southampton have done the same(maybe not on the same scale) to other teams lower down the leagues on their way to the Premiership and Liverpool are currently on the other end of the same process with the Barca/Suarez deal.

Southampton will be fine. With the players coming through they'll just blood a few more youngsters and by a couple.
I heard something about Ings being on a hit list and with Gallagher they're sorted up front for less than £10 million.
With Ward-Prowse and others from their academy it's a lucrative line coming through.

Pick up quality youngsters from the championship to supliment those coming through and they're laughing.
Could do a lot worse than have a look at Will Hughes from Derby. Better move for him too as he's more likely to actually play.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 2/7/2014 11:59:41 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to The Janitor)
Post #: 15364
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 12:56:36 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Southampton will be fine. With the players coming through they'll just blood a few more youngsters and by a couple.
I heard something about Ings being on a hit list and with Gallagher they're sorted up front for less than £10 million.
With Ward-Prowse and others from their academy it's a lucrative line coming through.

Pick up quality youngsters from the championship to supliment those coming through and they're laughing.
Could do a lot worse than have a look at Will Hughes from Derby. Better move for him too as he's more likely to actually play.

Tend to agree. Southampton have probably the best youth development set-up in the country, not just in the calibre of players they produce but also in their willingness to put faith in them and give them significant game time. They've got another crop ready to come through, and with a Dutchman in charge I'd be relatively hopeful the tradition of bringing them through will continue. Losing Shaw, Lambert and Lallana will hurt but the money they got is significant (roughly £60m if what I've read is accurate), so they can spend to fill any gaps. They've still got Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Clyne, Rodriguez etc. so as long as Koeman hits the ground running they'll keep their heads well above water next season.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 15365
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 7:56:11 AM   
jonson

Interesting question in the pub quiz the other night, which English team in 1982 had 7 past, present and future England Captains all playing in it?

For the record, my team were the only ones to correctly say Southampton. Smug git. (most people said Liverpool, West Ham or ManU)

As for Will Hughes, cracking player, just signed a new contract at the Sheepshaggers though.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 15366
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 10:22:44 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
As for Will Hughes, cracking player, just signed a new contract at the Sheepshaggers though.

So long as he's playing games it's all good. Just thought Southampton might be the step up he needs where he's likely to play without all the fuss and fanfare of going to one of the so called big clubs.
Which is another thing that pisses me off about QPR winning the playoffs. Harry develops no one, and just brings in experienced and expensive players to push the younger ones down the pecking order.
With a bit of luck younger players are starting to see this and will stay well away and QPR will be down by Christmas.

Probably should be in the England thread but I wonder what the likes of Zaha, McEachran, Bertrand, Carroll (Tom), Kane, Fryers, Bamford, Chalobah, Kane, and Morrison are going to do this season?
You could probably make a squad of Under 23's who need to move to make sure they are getting regular games to ensure they don't end up being the next Jeffers, Bentley et al.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 3/7/2014 10:30:18 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 15367
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 10:29:46 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

So long as he's playing games it's all good. Just thought Southampton might be the step up he needs where he's likely to play without all the fuss and fanfare of going to one of the so called big clubs.

Wonder what Zaha is going to do this season?

No, you're right, Southampton would be a good step up for him.
No idea about Zaha, the sooner the big clubs stop buying our good, young players and ruining the fuckers, the better (Scott Sinclair anyone?)
I don't even understand Llalana going to Liverpool to be honest, you'd think he'd stay at Southampton until one of the big clubs came in at least?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 15368
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 10:31:28 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wonder what Zaha is going to do this season?

No, you're right, Southampton would be a good step up for him.
No idea about Zaha, the sooner the big clubs stop buying our good, young players and ruining the fuckers, the better (Scott Sinclair anyone?)
I don't even understand Llalana going to Liverpool to be honest, you'd think he'd stay at Southampton until one of the big clubs came in at least?

TROLL

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 15369
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 4:26:02 PM   
ElephantBoy

Lovern would be a good signing as he is good on the ball and has proven a good defender. I don't think he alone is enough but it is a start.

I also think they need a good holding midfielder to tighter things up there. Unless Liverpool improve in defensive areas and add a bit more depth to the squad I don't see them winning the league next season.

Post #: 15370
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/7/2014 4:41:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Wouldn't be surprised to see Micah Richards there come the start of the season.

Post #: 15371
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/7/2014 11:07:34 AM   
Lensman 23

What are everyones expectations for next season?

I for one would like us to challenge for the title but i would be content with a top 3 finish once again. It's going to be a massive season once again - mainly because Suarez is either not going to be there for the whole/part of the season - and with the larger squad and European action.

I'm not concerned too much with the players we've signed or looking but apart from Sanchez - they arent going to pull up any trees. Yes the squad has already improved but I feel that we need that extra spark at both ends of the first XI. Thoughts?

Twitter: @MrSehdeva
PSN: Lensman23

Post #: 15372
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/7/2014 5:45:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think that Liverpool will look a very ordinary team without Suarez. Unless they find a similar star to replace him. I'm not saying that they can't finish top 4, because we've not really seen any teams looking that special in the PL over the last couple of seasons.

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15373
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/7/2014 11:02:39 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I think Liverpool will make the European Cup semis but finish outside the top 4 and be entertaining throughout.
Centre defence still needs a lot of work, and while I'd personally love them to not sign a fullback and blood the young English kids it will leave them wanting at the highest level.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/7/2014 11:03:22 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 15374
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/7/2014 9:50:56 AM   
The Janitor

I think it maybe the other way round. Liverpool will struggle in Europe due to being out of the competition (nearly 7 years is it?) and the managerís lack of experience but I think they will do better in the league. I don't think there will be as many mistakes. Hull, Southampton (mainly because we now own most of their team ), Crystal Palace but without Suarez they won't be as spectacular but will still get results.

If this is enough to win the league will depend greatly on the other teams. Liverpool benefited last year because only Manchester City looked like title winners, next season they could be up against much stronger Chelsea and Arsenal sides.

Post #: 15375
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/7/2014 11:39:31 AM   
Lensman 23

Hearing that Sterling will be given the Number 7 shirt.

(in reply to The Janitor)
Post #: 15376
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 12/7/2014 4:49:06 PM   
gazpop

Man, it's strange being the team everyone and their mate Dave from down the pub are linked with. By rights we'll have Mcfly in goal, Cara Delvigne in a holding midfield role and the Kardashians shoring up the defence.
I know Markovic's been 'seen' and all that but I haven't seen the guy play. Anyone hep out there?
Bony is someone one we're supposedly in a fight with Spurs to sign. I think given his PL experience and run of form we really should be thinking about signing him. Even if it is gonna be 8mill more than we could have gotten him for last year!
Moreno and Lovren would cost us 40/45 million but that's where we need to spend most wisely. Sturridge, Bony, Lambert, Borini, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Gerrard, Lovren and Moreno in a 2 - 4 -4 formation
I hope, as was suggested before, that we don't 'do a Tottenham' with our Bale-esque war chest.............
Also, we're hoping Mignolet does better next season right? Napoli only want more loan-Reina. Would his heart be in it after so long away, regardless of him honouring his contract terms?

< Message edited by gazpop -- 12/7/2014 4:50:36 PM >

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15377
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 19/7/2014 6:26:34 PM   
emogeek

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28385300

Hmm. File me under "unimpressed" on this one....

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 15378
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 19/7/2014 6:39:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

He's a good player, but considering he is replacing one of the best players in the world its a lot of pressure on him, and it takes more than one good season to prove yourself. Can only think they are lining up another striker or maybe plan on spreading the goals about.

Still unconvinced on Liverpool as title contenders, they might get top four again, but I don't see them kicking on from last season.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 15379
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 19/7/2014 10:19:45 PM   
emogeek

I've doubts about his attitude too.

Remember this is the guy who was flying in to have talks with Newcastle, then diverted to London when Del Boy waved a wad of used notes under his nose.

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

Post #: 15380
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 20/7/2014 8:25:54 AM   
Rinc

He's a good player and there's no way he's the replacement for replacing Suarez, he'll be backup. We'll probably be playing 4-3-3 with Sturridge in the middle and Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Sterling and Markovic fighting for the other 2 positions. Lambert and Remy will be backup to Sturridge or will play when we occasionally play different systems.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 15381
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 27/7/2014 5:30:52 PM   
emogeek

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28385300

Looks like the whole thing is off now.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15382
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 27/7/2014 9:19:17 PM   
ElephantBoy

Think that could be a bigger blow for him than Liverpool. The player is the sort of age where he is about to hit his prime, and to go to Liverpool at this moment would be a big move in his career.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 15383
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/7/2014 2:47:33 PM   
Lensman 23

Looking solid(ish) last night, certainly in control - and playing a regular ChampionsLeague team. So that is a bonus. But I think we truly are missing the wow player. I know we have bought loads of attacking players, but I would like to think that the Number 7 shirt is waiting for a real star player.

just the fullbacks to sort out apart from that for me.

Post #: 15384
Page:   <<   < prev  509 510 511 512 [513]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  509 510 511 512 [513]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI