Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  504 505 [506] 507 508   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/9/2013 12:43:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Coutinho out for a month or so. Big loss there, but I guess that a returning Suarez should make up for that.

(in reply to The Janitor)
Post #: 15151
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/9/2013 2:53:14 PM   
ElephantBoy

Decent enough point for them at Swansea the other night, still don't see them as title contenders, but the top four and a cup should be the aim.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 15152
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/9/2013 4:57:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

So, that is the answer to how Liverpool will unlock teams without Coutinho. Without him and Suarez they looked very ordinary today. And a really baffling selection at the back. Southampton looking great and blooding more young talent is to be commended.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 15153
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/9/2013 7:06:59 PM   
directorscut

He's back!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 15154
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/9/2013 7:26:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm actually excited to see him back. Is Sturridge fit? I only saw the highlights, but City seemed to make hay against Utd in two areas. Between the midfield and defense, and without Courtinho this is where Suarez should be. And down the wings. I'd like to see Sterling and Enrique play for that.

EDIT: I see the team sheet now, Enrique and Sturridge play. And blow me down, so does Kagawa with Rooney and Hernandez. There couild be goals in this one.

EDIT: Moyes' hairdryer from the weekend still ringing in the ears of the Utd players. Where is Henderson playing? Oh a 3-5-2. Not great plan, but we'll see. Well Enrique in acres of space a couple of times already, Utd early storm abated, Liverpool need to pass and hold now.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 25/9/2013 8:06:37 PM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 15155
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/9/2013 8:16:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

He's back!

Why are you posting about Bendtner in the Liverpool thread?

Post #: 15156
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/10/2013 1:58:24 PM   
Lensman 23

Hey guys!!!
been so long that i forgot my password and dont have access to my old email.

How are we all???

Twitter: @MrSehdeva
PSN: Lensman23

Post #: 15157
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/10/2013 6:43:12 PM   
Rinc

It's all very quiet on this thread and I've barely posted on here. And to think it's our best start in ages!

Lensman I can change your email address on your old account so you can request a new password if you want.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15158
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/10/2013 9:00:35 PM   
Lensman 23

that would be most excellent!

just PM'd you

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15159
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/10/2013 9:04:49 PM   
Lensman 23

Talking of football,

It's not been that bad has it, yes still some glaring issues in the team that need rectifying but all in all, cannot complain at all.

Big test on the weekend against West Brom who under Clarkey have an excellent record against us.

Be delighted with a good solid entertaining win.

But i do think we need some more goal scoring threats to be bought into the team as goals from Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson is unlikely to hit double figures this year and thats a big problem!

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15160
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/10/2013 11:19:57 PM   
Saltire

Got to win this week, I have a bad feeling Liverpool will start dropping a lot of points towards the end of this year, then improve after the January window, which would have us in the running for fourth come season end, but still just fail to get there by about six points. Thats my view; hopefully the performances will improve with only the PL and FA Cup to play in so the players could be relatively fresh towards season end; and the points keep rolling in, though as aforementioned I do have my doubts.

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15161
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2013 1:12:28 PM   
Hooch0959

We were murdered, fair play

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15162
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2013 5:03:47 PM   
Lensman 23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lensman 23

Talking of football,

It's not been that bad has it, yes still some glaring issues in the team that need rectifying but all in all, cannot complain at all.

Big test on the weekend against West Brom who under Clarkey have an excellent record against us.

Be delighted with a good solid entertaining win.

But i do think we need some more goal scoring threats to be bought into the team as goals from Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson is unlikely to hit double figures this year and thats a big problem!

i like it when the lads listen to me.

even bigger test coming up - Arsenal away next up.With their form, i'd be happy with a point and move on.

Henderson's move to the middle of the park is a no brainer to me, his energy is worth two players at moment and we look much better with him in their. It does leave me a question to ask you all.

Steven Gerrard or Lucas - should one be eased out of the team now to make way for Henderson? so Coutinho can go back to the Number 10 role.

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15163
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2013 11:46:45 PM   
Saltire

Just about the best I've seen from Liverpool this season and it was needed as I was getting the feeling performances were going to drop. Makes me feel a little more confident of the Arsenal match at the weekend - a draw would be great as they do look very good in the league just now.

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15164
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2013 12:21:33 AM   
directorscut

Would be happy for Arsenal to get a draw against Liverpool, just as long as they trash Man Utd the following week.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15165
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2013 2:33:44 AM   
Saltire

I think we'd all like to see that and the way both are playing just now I could easily see a big Arsenal win.

Post #: 15166
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2013 1:37:11 PM   
Lensman 23

hopefully Chelsea and Arsenal will kick each other hard enough to leave them nothing for the weekend games......

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15167
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2013 5:55:22 PM   
Saltire

Hope so, I'm also hoping for high scoring entertaining games in the cup though, so a bit of both would be ideal

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 15168
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2013 7:47:51 PM   
Saltire

Very poor today, Arsenal showed how far behind in quality Liverpool still are. Hopefully a few good signings in January could close the gap slightly, but the Tottenham's, Arsenal's, Chelsea's and Man City's are way ahead currently.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15169
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2013 8:57:11 PM   
galvatron

Liverpool lost the midfield battle. Gerrard-Lucas-Henderson are no match for Arteta-Ramsay-Ozil-Cazorla-Rosicky! And with playing two wing backs Liverpool lost a lot of ball keeping capability. I still expect Liverpool to push for 4th though.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15170
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 12:34:44 AM   
Rinc

I don't quite understand the 3 at the back formation. It's not as if we've been keeping clean sheets and our midfield 3, apart from Henderson, haven't been mobile enough to cover for full backs bombing forward. So, either our full backs haven't been bombing forward and we've been relying on Sturridge and Suarez to produce some magic or they have been bombing forward and we've been exposed at the back because we've had some weak links and too much space left on the glanks.

In some ways 3-5-2 oe 5-3-2 or whatever you want to call it is a great system but you have to have a libero style player who can free up the centre mids when in possession and mobile and/or creative centre mids who can cover and support the full backs and strikers. I've said for a while we don't have creative enough centre mids. Gerrard has never been a deep lying creator and Lucas and Henderson never will be. So as a midfield 3 they're quite one dimensional. They'll do a good job of covering the back at times and they can bomb forward in spurts but they don't have the tactical brains to cover for full backs and support the attack. Even if we played 4-3-3 they'll do a job up to a point but won't ever be top class. They don't drift out to the wings enough or move through the inside channels with enough creative nous to cause enough problems.

That all said, I'm still really happy with the start of the season. Delighted we're 2nd and we've won games we didn't last season. It won't last, I'm pretty certain about that considering the games we have coming up. We have all our rivals away from home in the next couple of months so it'll be a while until we have a decent run of games. Man City have shown today that when they tur it on they're absolutely unstoppable, more so than any other team. I still think they'll win the league and there's a few teams better than us who will stop us getting 4th. But overall it's been an incredible start and I'm pleased with Rodgers. I just don't quite understand the 3 at the back considering our midfield.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 15171
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 9:55:31 AM   
Whistler

It's a frustrating setback but I still think we're in a good position and heading in the right direction. I think we'll finish in the top 4. A couple of decent signings in January will help.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15172
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 4:12:56 PM   
Nezzley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I don't quite understand the 3 at the back formation. It's not as if we've been keeping clean sheets and our midfield 3, apart from Henderson, haven't been mobile enough to cover for full backs bombing forward. So, either our full backs haven't been bombing forward and we've been relying on Sturridge and Suarez to produce some magic or they have been bombing forward and we've been exposed at the back because we've had some weak links and too much space left on the glanks.

In some ways 3-5-2 oe 5-3-2 or whatever you want to call it is a great system but you have to have a libero style player who can free up the centre mids when in possession and mobile and/or creative centre mids who can cover and support the full backs and strikers. I've said for a while we don't have creative enough centre mids. Gerrard has never been a deep lying creator and Lucas and Henderson never will be. So as a midfield 3 they're quite one dimensional. They'll do a good job of covering the back at times and they can bomb forward in spurts but they don't have the tactical brains to cover for full backs and support the attack. Even if we played 4-3-3 they'll do a job up to a point but won't ever be top class. They don't drift out to the wings enough or move through the inside channels with enough creative nous to cause enough problems.

That all said, I'm still really happy with the start of the season. Delighted we're 2nd and we've won games we didn't last season. It won't last, I'm pretty certain about that considering the games we have coming up. We have all our rivals away from home in the next couple of months so it'll be a while until we have a decent run of games. Man City have shown today that when they tur it on they're absolutely unstoppable, more so than any other team. I still think they'll win the league and there's a few teams better than us who will stop us getting 4th. But overall it's been an incredible start and I'm pleased with Rodgers. I just don't quite understand the 3 at the back considering our midfield.

I do see Gerrard as something of a weak link in our team at the moment. He's poor positionally in a defensive sense and doesn't have the legs anymore to keep up with players running from midfield. Rogers tried to work around this at the start of the season by making him stay deeper and have a high defensive line to cover the space and now with the 3-5-2 he's doing the opposite and playing him higher with Henderson deeper. As you point out when Suarez and Sturridge are not at their best we do look somewhat starved of creativity when playing that system, Arsenal by contrast have an abundance of dynamic, creative midfielders to choose from and that was a big difference yesterday.

It will be interesting to see what formation Rogers goes with from here on, either way I believe we will sooner or later need to upgrade the centre of midfield. There's a lack of physicality and dynamism in there that makes you one of the top teams.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15173
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 6:02:30 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think we all knew that 5-3-2 vs Arsenal was not going to work, I can only conclude that Rodgers decided other formations would work even less well.

They need at least 3 / 4 new players to challenge for top 4. It's hard to see them holding finishing in the top places, so inevitably it feels like Suarez will pressure to go again and it will be hard for Rodgers to keep building.

But the squad might just be strong enough to handle and FA Cup run and finish top 6.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15174
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 6:37:59 PM   
Saltire

Gerard was awful yesterday, but he was the same at the start of last season and got better as it went on, I'm sure he'll be the same this year. Lucas does not look upto speed either; he's another one that takes a long time to get going after an injury, and Coutinho really hasn't been that good since season start either. I'm hoping all three of those can improve and am sure they will as the season progresses, and though I am disappointed not really about the result yesterday, but the way we looked so inept at times; I think we will still get maximum points in our next game at home to Fulham and keep in the running for top four.

Post #: 15175
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 7:38:07 PM   
ElephantBoy

Liverpool's main problem I think is that they relay too much on the front two and therefore have become a bit predictable. As good as that partneship has been if you stop them you go along way to stopping Liverpool.

Progress has been made, I see them as top four contenders, but not title contenders. Fifth or fourth place and maybe a cup would be a good season.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 15176
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/11/2013 10:27:31 PM   
Rinc

It's quite easy to cut off our attack from midfield with the 5-3-2 formation and our immobile CMs so if you do that you're relying on stopping SAS. That's not always possible but it's much less riskier than having some midfielders backing them up. We need an in form Coutinho in the hole, someone who will occupy an opposition midfielder in a deeper position which then gives Gerrard, Lucas or Henderson more space in which to move into. That's not happening at the moment so our CMs are all starting from too deep and are too ineffective against a midfield like Arsenal's who form passing triangles in our half. At the moment I don't think there's room for Gerrard and Lucas although as Saltire said Gerrard did get a lot better last season. If I were Rodgers I really would go back to 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 with Coutinho back and a winger playing.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 15177
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2013 1:58:58 PM   
Lensman 23

Its the problem we've had since Masch and Alonso left the club - Gerrard was further up and tearin' it up with Torres. But now that he is playing further back, he will struggle for 90 minutes every so often (not to say its every week) as the teams we play - we generally can dominate a lot of them.

It will need a big decision to be made from BR - Gerrard is a mainstay (rightly or wrongly) he is the first name of the sheet until he decides to retire or openly accepts a backwards role. So that leaves Lucas - who is a fan favourite for past seasons and not the last 18 months - injury and not getting back up to speed.

You could see the difference between Ramsey and Henderson. Same position in the team but two different performances.

For me though, the full backs are a major issue once again.

But all will be fine again with a comfortable win against Fulham on the weekend (hopefully)

< Message edited by Lensman 23 -- 4/11/2013 2:01:15 PM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15178
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2013 4:36:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

It's quite easy to cut off our attack from midfield with the 5-3-2 formation and our immobile CMs so if you do that you're relying on stopping SAS. That's not always possible but it's much less riskier than having some midfielders backing them up. We need an in form Coutinho in the hole, someone who will occupy an opposition midfielder in a deeper position which then gives Gerrard, Lucas or Henderson more space in which to move into. That's not happening at the moment so our CMs are all starting from too deep and are too ineffective against a midfield like Arsenal's who form passing triangles in our half. At the moment I don't think there's room for Gerrard and Lucas although as Saltire said Gerrard did get a lot better last season. If I were Rodgers I really would go back to 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 with Coutinho back and a winger playing.

I agree, but also I think you have a hit and miss midfeld which could do with strengthing. Gerrard only has a couple of seasons left in him, and after Coutinho I just don't see the rest being good enough.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 15179
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/11/2013 2:43:21 PM   
Rinc

What a game.

Both sides had plenty more chances too. Mignolet made some excellent saves while Allen missed an absolute sitter to make it 3-1. If that had gone in I don't think Everton would've come back. Moses could have scored a winner too at the end.

Biggest question is: how was Miralles not sent off?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 15180
Page:   <<   < prev  504 505 [506] 507 508   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  504 505 [506] 507 508   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI