Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/2/2013 2:46:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Yes. The last time they won 5-0 in the following game they went out of the FA Cup against Oldham. Blood was in the water yesterday and fair dues to Liverpool for going after that and playing one of the best 15 minutes of football I've seen this season. Their problem is replicating this form when the opposition does not roll over for them. Really interesting fixture list in March.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14911
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/2/2013 2:53:21 PM   
horribleives

Some great passing yesterday, Enrique's goal was quality.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14912
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/2/2013 9:02:56 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Hurrah back to winning ways after the disappointment of the last 2 games.

Some good goals scored by the team and good movement. Now hopefully we can play like this on Thursday and turn that game around.

Don't care if Swansea fielded a weaken side you still have to beat them and in the 2nd half for a 10 min spell Liverpool took them apart.

It was indeed a good performance, but the worry with the team is that for every great game they have to also have a shit one, where they regress backwards. Consistency is the key, if Liverpool had that they'd probably make top 4 a long time ago.

Yup, consistency won't happen this season for me, they need to gel a bit more first and bring in some experience in the summer then perhaps a top four push might be more realistic as even with their superb performance yesterday, next week they could be awful again.

Enrique's goal was a beauty, Liverpool's best team goal of the season imo. Glad to see Coutinho score also, fingers crossed he could become a good acquisition. Nearly a perfect day marred only by Borini's injury which is likely to be a season-ender. Hopefully he can recover well from this poor season and hit the ground running next campaign.

Post #: 14913
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 2:02:56 PM   
Rinc

So it's the return leg tonight against Zenit. Anyone actually think we can do it? I don't particularly but would just like to see a positive performance.

The win against Swansea at the weekend was decent even if they didn't seem to care. Enrique's goal was superb, just a fantastic team goal full of trickery.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14914
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 8:24:32 PM   
directorscut

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14915
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 8:28:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Puny human defender. Sloppy pass backs make Hulk mad.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14916
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 8:32:45 PM   
directorscut

Suarez laughs at puny Hulk.

Post #: 14917
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 8:38:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I've seen tents with more solid walls than that

Post #: 14918
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 8:48:35 PM   
directorscut

It's on like Donkey Kong!

Allen's first goal for the club?

Post #: 14919
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 8:52:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Practically the first time he's played a ball forward for the club

Post #: 14920
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 9:22:13 PM   
directorscut

Suarez > You.

Post #: 14921
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 9:23:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

He may be a cunt- but that was a top drawer goal.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 14922
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 10:07:25 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I feel sorry for Liverpool fans, Rodgers just cannot grasp the idea that Shelvey is an awful player.

However there were some clear signs that the team is heading in the right direction, but a target man is definitely needed, little Luis isn't going to be heading in many crosses. The main issue really though is just a collective immaturity and lack of experience, maybe it's the msnager's fault or maybe Gerrard, Carragher, Reina etc are not doing their jobs in the changing rooms and more importantly on the training ground and pitch. Some tough love would go a long way, if they really had a go at the younger players when they make daft/rushed decisions they'd soon get stamped out.

A clear example was Sterling at the end, he showed a great desire to get the ball into the middle of the box, but that was about everything you could commend him for, a bit of patience and forethought and the team will be benefiting massively. Instead of thinking about the runs players were making and where to place the ball he was just interested in getting the ball into the middle and in the end the result was the ball went behind the strikers.

These problems should iron themselves out in time, but as I say the likes of Gerrard really need to be providing more guidance. I certainly saw very few tellings off from the captain.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 21/2/2013 10:08:00 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 14923
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 10:12:40 PM   
directorscut

Terrific performance. Nothing Rodgers can do about his most experience player making a howler.

It's a shame the British media disregard the Europa Cup, they missed one of the most entertaining games featuring an English team this season.

LOL @ disgruntled Liverpool fan on radio yapping on about they should have kept Andy "two goals all season" Carroll.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 21/2/2013 10:13:40 PM >

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 14924
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/2/2013 10:32:07 PM   
impqueen

Im no fan of Liverpool but genuinely feel gutted for you Reds, wish Chelsea could show some of that spirit these days.

Yes, always.

Post #: 14925
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/2/2013 3:39:14 AM   
Saltire

Cracking game and even when Hulk scored early I felt if Liverpool could grab two before half-time then it was game on, which they did. They got the goal on around 60 minutes and you felt they might just be able to do it, but in the end the task was simply too great, despite them having chances and a possible penalty too. They showed terrific spirit in the game and there was no shame in going out like that, they fought to the end. I do agree with some posters though that Shelvey just isn't going to be a top-class Liverpool player, they have to go out in the summer and get someone better than him. On the odd occasion, he can have good games, but there's talent out there that will be more consistent for them to progress. I had my heart in my mouth every time I saw Reina with the ball also, I have lost all confidence in him now, and hope he moves on too at season end.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 14926
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/2/2013 10:45:54 AM   
jediwarrior

Great game last night and in the end it was just too much for Liverpool. The first leg came back to haunt us be missing those chances.

Still felt we could do it after conceding the goal and when the 3rd went in on 60 mins I thought we would but I felt taking off Henderson and Allen straight after the 3rd goal lost us the midfield. Suddenly we had no-one in that position and lost the shape abit. Maybe just taking one of the players off and then you can always take another off in 10 - 15 mins if the plan is still working.

Now have to continue to play well to the end of the season and climb the table and try and get back into Europe. We really have to aim for 5th now and hope Chelsea or Spurs get a bad run of form and maybe grab 4th but its a long shot to get that now.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14927
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/2/2013 6:53:26 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I feel sorry for Liverpool fans, Rodgers just cannot grasp the idea that Shelvey is an awful player.

It's a shame because he really seems to be going backwards. Before this season he was the kind of player who could create space in midfield with his technique and had a good passing game. Now he seems to be chanelling the spirit of an off day Gerrard by having a bad first touch, trying to burst forward all the time and misplacing passes. I had high hopes for him but he's lost it big time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

However there were some clear signs that the team is heading in the right direction, but a target man is definitely needed, little Luis isn't going to be heading in many crosses. The main issue really though is just a collective immaturity and lack of experience, maybe it's the msnager's fault or maybe Gerrard, Carragher, Reina etc are not doing their jobs in the changing rooms and more importantly on the training ground and pitch. Some tough love would go a long way, if they really had a go at the younger players when they make daft/rushed decisions they'd soon get stamped out.

Bit of both really. Carragher is stil capable of making mistakes, Gerrard has off days and Reina has gone downhill. And Rodgers' and the owners' policy of buying young is encouraging but has to be balanced out with the odd experienced hand. Since he came in we haven't bought anyone over 24 which accounts for some of our immaturity.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 14928
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/3/2013 6:24:01 PM   
directorscut

This is like watching Swansea vs. Bradford at times. Terrific stuff from Liverpool.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14929
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/3/2013 7:23:53 PM   
Rinc

So another win under our belt and 4 more goals scored. Really good goal difference and we looked dangerous even without Sturridge. Coutinho is looking like a great prospect and Suarez was once again fantastic. Really nice to have options up front, I just hope we can build on this and beat Spurs next week rather than take a step back like we have all season. If we can win another two in a row then I reckon we'll be above Everton.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14930
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/3/2013 7:29:14 PM   
directorscut

I hope Liverpool beat Spurs next week too.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14931
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/3/2013 11:50:28 AM   
Saltire

A lot of good things shown from Liverpool yesterday, third best for goals scored in the league now, not bad considering they couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo last season. Coutinho looks a fine prospect and a lot of dynamism shown going forward, even without Sturridge. All the players really want the ball now too, unlike last season where Messrs Downing and Henderson shied away, both are coming on well now, and may just about not seem such a waste of money any more.

Good progress all in all, though another test will be against Spurs for sure. I still think Liverpool will finish around sixth, but with a few quality additions in the summer, next season they may be pushing higher finally!

< Message edited by Saltire -- 3/3/2013 11:51:49 AM >

Post #: 14932
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/3/2013 5:25:30 PM   
jediwarrior

Finally we do the double over Wigan . First win at Wigan since 2007 I think. Nice to see us beat this kind of team well. Keeps the team chances of getting 5th the season.
Be interesting game next Sunday against Spurs. I think if we can control the Midfield then we can win the game.

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14933
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/3/2013 6:47:39 PM   
Rinc

The club records a loss of 40.5m in the ten months up to 31 May 2012:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/04/liverpool-accounts-debt-ian-ayre

Wages accounted for 70% of turnover which is obviously way too much. Since then we've bought Allen, Assaidi, Sturridge, Coutinho and Borini and barely made any money back so we're going to make a loss next year too. However, I suspect our wages will reduce quite a bit considering Kuyt, Cole, Maxi, Aquilani, Aurelio, Adam and Bellamy all left. The worrying thing is if we record a similar loss next year we'll fall ful of the new PL regulations.

So a couple of things need to happen:

We need to get into the CL next year. That won't have any impact on our finances over the next 12 months (apart from a couple more million for finishing 4th), but it will in the future.

And we need to cut the wages even more or make money in transfers. I suspect Carroll and Skrtel will go this summer and Carragher's retirement will save money. But we probably don't have any more big earners who could potentially leave so it probably falls on selling someone and that of course means Suarez. He'll be in demand and I think he'll want to go so we need to make sure we get as much as possible. I wouldn't accept anything less than 40m for him. We could spend 20m of that on another striker and leave us with 20m over.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 14934
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/3/2013 9:24:06 AM   
jediwarrior

Not included in these accounts I believe reading elsewhere is the new sponsership deals that we've done, so that will be a boost.

Also next accounts will also have the payoff to Dalglish, Clarke and the others in the backroom staff who left. We also paid Cole and Aquiani a lump sum.

Still be surprise if we sell Suarez the owners know it will cause a fans backlash. It's okay getting rid of Torres as he was going downhill but to get rid of Suarez when in his prime it be crazy to do so unless Suarez says he wants to go.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14935
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/3/2013 7:13:19 PM   
Rinc

Good point about the payoffs to staff and players. The payoffs to the players might still be cheaper than what we'd have to pay them anyway and the others leaving will make wages a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't blame the owners for selling Suarez, he's our most valuable asset and could command enough money to provide us with an excellent striker and ensure we lose far less money next year. And I wouldn't blame Suarez if he wants to go, especially if it's to Bayern.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 14936
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/3/2013 7:28:53 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Good point about the payoffs to staff and players. The payoffs to the players might still be cheaper than what we'd have to pay them anyway and the others leaving will make wages a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't blame the owners for selling Suarez, he's our most valuable asset and could command enough money to provide us with an excellent striker and ensure we lose far less money next year. And I wouldn't blame Suarez if he wants to go, especially if it's to Bayern.

Well getting a top striker depends where Liverpool finish this year IF they sell Suarez.
Plus there are very few top strikers around at the moment in my opinion.
And as I pointed out IF Liverpool do sell ol'buck tooth,then wouldn't that further the opinion of Liverpool going backwards?

Either way should be an interesting summer.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14937
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/3/2013 7:38:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

This forum has some of the most laidback L'pool supporters i've come across, and i mean that in a nice way! I've visited sites where the mere mention of selling Suarez and you'll get crucified by the fans!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14938
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/3/2013 8:00:43 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Well getting a top striker depends where Liverpool finish this year IF they sell Suarez.
Plus there are very few top strikers around at the moment in my opinion.
And as I pointed out IF Liverpool do sell ol'buck tooth,then wouldn't that further the opinion of Liverpool going backwards?

It would set us back yes, but I think it's inevitable in the next couple of years. Firstly because of our money situation and the implications of not fulfilling the criteria for the PL. Secondly because unless we really push on at the end of this season and finish in the top 4 next season plus we're really lucky and no big, attractive club comes in for him, then Suarez will want to leave.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14939
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/3/2013 8:05:59 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

This forum has some of the most laidback L'pool supporters i've come across, and i mean that in a nice way! I've visited sites where the mere mention of selling Suarez and you'll get crucified by the fans!

Thanks

I think now I'm older (I remember Giggs making his debut unlike most of the UTd team!) I've become much more of a realist with football. I've been a typical reactionary twat football fan in the past but now I understand why players want to leave my beloved club. I don't blame anyone who wants more money and success and another club can offer it. Afterall most of us would leave our jobs if it meant being more successful and getting paid more at another one.

And yeah there would be a backlash and fans would complain if Suarez was sold but they're idiots and they're not looking at it objectively.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14940
Page:   <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  496 497 [498] 499 500   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI