Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  492 493 [494] 495 496   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 11/12/2012 4:39:04 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

twould be a 2005-esque style comeback for us to get ANYTHING from this blasted season.......grrrrrr

Why so morose Gaz, the team is heading in the right direction surely?

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14791
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 11/12/2012 2:23:17 PM   
gazpop

man, I don't know....we've had more false promises and misguided hope than most teams in the top flight over the years and as much as I love our semi-embrace of youth and the bringing of players through (cos that's the ony way I can see us becoming a top 4 team once more), and how well some of our team are playing, I just can't get too excited. You can win some games if 3 or 4 of your players are playing out of their skin but you need everyone to be on their game nearly all of the time to do well in the Prem.
Sorry if I seem a little gloomy. I hope you understand. Go Liverpool!!
ps-ok, ok, the signs are more promising than at the beginning of the season....but we cannot let some of our players talk to anyone except their mothers in the Jan window

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14792
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 12/12/2012 7:15:37 PM   
horribleives

Liverpool are playing better football than they have for about two seasons now. You should be, if not ecstactic, at least genuinely optimistic that they're heading in the right direction after the horror (league-wise) of last season and a dreadful start to this one.
Try supporting my team at the minute if you want to know what a really disappointing season feels like...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14793
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 13/12/2012 1:43:20 AM   
Saltire

For this season it depends on what happens in January. If Rodgers strengthens well, then the team will be able to push on this season and just maybe be able to challenge for fourth come season end. If his signings don't pan out so well then sixth is the best they can aim for imo, which is still an improvement on where they finished last season. I'm reasonably optimistic they are on the right path (unlike Arsenal currently ).

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 14794
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 13/12/2012 4:03:33 AM   
Olaf

Didn't the free-flowing football/youth project fail miserably at Arsenal? why is it going to work for Liverpool, especially since an expensive stadium redevelopment is similarly in the offing?

< Message edited by Olaf -- 13/12/2012 4:04:11 AM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14795
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 13/12/2012 4:36:03 PM   
gazpop

I hope building a new stadium and the committment to youth development aren't mutually exclusive. I don't know what the budget is for anything youth-related but it must pale into insignificance compared to the money involved with a new place to play?
Olaf, you're in a much better place to tell me it didn't work at Arsenal but I'm hoping it all works out for us. Even though you can't win anything with kids.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14796
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 13/12/2012 10:41:01 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Didn't the free-flowing football/youth project fail miserably at Arsenal? why is it going to work for Liverpool, especially since an expensive stadium redevelopment is similarly in the offing?

Because we bought Downing, Henderson and Carroll instead of Arsharvin, Santos and Gervinho.

Oh...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14797
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 13/12/2012 10:54:15 PM   
Olaf

Stewart Downing and Andre Santos, answers to that immortal question: 'when is a left-back not a left-back?'

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 14798
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 13/12/2012 11:09:15 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

I hope building a new stadium and the committment to youth development aren't mutually exclusive. I don't know what the budget is for anything youth-related but it must pale into insignificance compared to the money involved with a new place to play?
Olaf, you're in a much better place to tell me it didn't work at Arsenal but I'm hoping it all works out for us. Even though you can't win anything with kids.

I'd love to see it work for Liverpool honestly, as it's the kind of project that I feel deserves more success than the more popular 'insanely wealthy billionaire invests billions, wins league' model. The only problem is the same problem that prevented it from working at Arsenal - every near-miss makes it harder as the good young players will be on the bigger teams' radars and the result is your best young talents leaving every year. Consider how different things might have been if Fergie's kids didn't win the league in 1996 and Giggs, Scholes, Beckham et al moved on to 'bigger things'.

It's also interesting to note how the best Liverpool team in years is also the youngest in a long time, and the worst Arsenal team in years is one of the oldest of the Wenger period (only Szcz, Gibbs and Wilshere are the only players in the first team under 23, and signings like Arteta/Cazorla/Mertesacker/Giroud/Podolski are all closer to their thirties).

< Message edited by Olaf -- 13/12/2012 11:10:28 PM >

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14799
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 14/12/2012 12:26:14 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Because we bought Downing, Henderson and Carroll instead of Arsharvin, Santos and Gervinho.

Oh...

It is amazing how Liverpool bought three of the biggest flops in football history in the space of about six months.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 14800
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 14/12/2012 4:16:28 AM   
Saltire

Henderson is beginning to find his feet (eventually), and Carroll wasn't really given a fair chance, but yeah Downing has been beyond woeful.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14801
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 14/12/2012 3:15:03 PM   
HIM

quote:

We don't have a sugar daddy owner. We're living very much within our means these days so a free-flowing/youth project is really the only way to go to get back into the the top four - which is our immediate aim. The league is a more distant target. Plus, Arsenal - despite not winning a trophy for 8 years - have still been consistently in the top four and able to, though not always willing to, dine at the top table of European football, which is where we want to get back to. We can't attract the cream of Europe by doddering around in the Europa League and finishing mid-table every year. Get into the top four and you can crack on from there. That's the plan. Without deep pockets we've got no choice to but to promote from within.

As for the stadium, we're going for the cheaper option, which is to increase Anfield bit by bit. We won't be shackled by a 300m weight around our shoulders straight off the bat. One stand will be updated at a time and if need be, we can postpone the development of other stands until finances improve.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14802
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 14/12/2012 4:59:32 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Henderson is beginning to find his feet (eventually), and Carroll wasn't really given a fair chance, but yeah Downing has been beyond woeful.

Henderson has being rubbish when I've seen him this year. Carroll played 58 times for Liverpool - surely that's a fair enough chance? He's hardly pulled up trees for West Ham so far, except when he tries to literally pull up a tree after a night on the town.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14803
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 14/12/2012 7:46:02 PM   
Nezzley

Henderson's looking like a very decent squad player this year, brings a bit of balance to the midfield and energy when coming off the bench. Of course he's not Phil Jones but out of that godawful splurge on the best of british he should be around the longest and has found a valuable place in the squad.

The aforementioned transfer binge is one of the most infuriating things that has happened over a troubled few years for the club, thinking back wasn't Falcao available at the time?

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

Post #: 14804
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 14/12/2012 11:27:39 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Henderson has being rubbish when I've seen him this year. Carroll played 58 times for Liverpool - surely that's a fair enough chance? He's hardly pulled up trees for West Ham so far, except when he tries to literally pull up a tree after a night on the town.

The last two games Henderson has improved, whether that'll continue though we'll see. Carroll was used as a sub a lot last year and didn't get a good long run in the team, and Rodgers just didn't fancy him.

Post #: 14805
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/12/2012 3:52:03 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Villa 2-0 up against Liverpool at Anfield. Maybe Rodgers was to busy dreaming about top 4 than the current game at hand.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14806
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/12/2012 4:53:02 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

SimonWiggy on Twitter: "Anfield is no longer a fortress, more a gift shop."

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14807
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/12/2012 5:02:42 PM   
directorscut

What on earth happened there?

Goddamn it Stevie G you cost me 4 FF points!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14808
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/12/2012 5:12:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

SimonWiggy on Twitter: "Anfield is no longer a fortress, more a gift shop."

Yeah i saw that. Its the truth though. There was a time teams would dread playing at Anfield, but not now.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14809
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/12/2012 8:00:31 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I've seen this described as a shock. I didn't see it that way, I thought that Lambert was the stand-out manager last season (IMO achieving slightly more than Rodgers). I was surprised that he took on the challenge at Villa, but am pleased he is making progress.

I don't think Liverpool are a good enough team (yet) where they can put a run together without the odd upset. Next week's game will be very interesting. Fulham should be doing better than they are right now and Martin Jol will want to try to pull something out. I don't expect anyone wants a Boxing Day trip to Stoke and the games against QPR and Sunderland should be Liverpool wins, but you just wonder if they will catch those two teams at the wrong time. They need some points then as the round after the FA Cup game is tough again, with Utd, a Norwich team that are playing well, Arsenal, City and WBA before they host Swansea again.

Of course, we'll all be interested to see what happens in the transfer window. IMO Rodgers has done enough to be given 15M plus whatever he can raise through transfer fees.

Post #: 14810
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/12/2012 10:04:41 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Villa 2-0 up against Liverpool at Anfield. Maybe Rodgers was to busy dreaming about top 4 than the current game at hand.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-rodgers-stronger-now-160521734.html

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

Post #: 14811
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 16/12/2012 1:31:53 PM   
Nezzley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I've seen this described as a shock. I didn't see it that way, I thought that Lambert was the stand-out manager last season (IMO achieving slightly more than Rodgers). I was surprised that he took on the challenge at Villa, but am pleased he is making progress.

I don't think Liverpool are a good enough team (yet) where they can put a run together without the odd upset. Next week's game will be very interesting. Fulham should be doing better than they are right now and Martin Jol will want to try to pull something out. I don't expect anyone wants a Boxing Day trip to Stoke and the games against QPR and Sunderland should be Liverpool wins, but you just wonder if they will catch those two teams at the wrong time. They need some points then as the round after the FA Cup game is tough again, with Utd, a Norwich team that are playing well, Arsenal, City and WBA before they host Swansea again.

Of course, we'll all be interested to see what happens in the transfer window. IMO Rodgers has done enough to be given 15M plus whatever he can raise through transfer fees.

I'm a fan of Lambert too, expiremented formation-wise quite a bit at Norwich and his preference for Benteke as a lone forward has paid off well. The result doesn't change much as it's still very tight in the table, but it should give a reality check to Rodgers and some of the senior players after they foolishly talked up our chances of getting in the top 4 or top 2 even after beating West Ham (a game we might've lost had Diame stayed on the pitch).

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14812
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/12/2012 9:59:44 AM   
jediwarrior

Awful result on Saturday, started off well didn't take our early chances and paid for it.

Rogers really needs to sort the midfield out. I've not been impressed with Gerrard this season the amount of times he turns over to the other team is terrible. Trouble is Gerrard seems undroppable.
Also not been impressed with Allen so far. I know alot of the time he's been playing out of position covering Lucas but he now seems to need a rest for a couple of games.
God knows what is going on with Sahin, he can't seem to get a game. Same goes for Assaidi. We'd rather play Downing at LB instead of giving Robinson a try.
As the Manager won't try Morgan or Yesil upfront in a league game we really do need to buy a front man in January.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14813
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/12/2012 11:23:47 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Awful result on Saturday, started off well didn't take our early chances and paid for it.

Rogers really needs to sort the midfield out. I've not been impressed with Gerrard this season the amount of times he turns over to the other team is terrible. Trouble is Gerrard seems undroppable.
Also not been impressed with Allen so far. I know alot of the time he's been playing out of position covering Lucas but he now seems to need a rest for a couple of games.
God knows what is going on with Sahin, he can't seem to get a game. Same goes for Assaidi. We'd rather play Downing at LB instead of giving Robinson a try.
As the Manager won't try Morgan or Yesil upfront in a league game we really do need to buy a front man in January.

I think after the game, Rodgers said that a few midfield players need a break. Hardly the right time of the season for that though. You can see that with Sterling for example.

The couple of times I've seen Sahin I've been completely unimpressed. Will be an interesting transfer window for Liverpool both in terms of how much money the manager is given and who they go for and who will join Liverpool. It is interesting that a few players are clearly in the market, particularly strikers (Ba, Bent, Llorente, Huntelaar).

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 14814
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/12/2012 12:03:10 PM   
Saltire

A very bad day at the office for Liverpool, the sooner the transfer window comes round for them the better.

Benteke though, what a beast of a player he is beginning to show - who needs that waster Bent!?!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14815
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/12/2012 4:41:37 PM   
directorscut

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/messi-now-outscoring-liverpool-2012-133340443.html

Would be a decent buy if you could get him.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14816
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/12/2012 4:58:02 PM   
Rinc

I think we've got a chance with getting him.

I haven't been overly impressed with Sahin either and Allen started out well but just looks tired now. I really don't know why Assaidi and Robinson haven't been given more of a chance.

As for Gerrard well I'll just have to repeat what I've already said. I don't think Rodger's style of play suits him and he gives the ball away too easily. So he's not suited to playing as deep as the system requires him and he hasn't got the legs to play further forward.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 14817
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/12/2012 9:04:35 AM   
HIM

To paraphrase Shania Twain, Allen don't impress me much. I think he's a tidy little player but when you watch him in a game he doesn't seem to affect the game to any great degree. I get that he's meant to be a metronome and keep the play ticking over, but largely this consists of receiving the ball and then passing it two yards to the nearest player. It's no wonder that his passing accuracy is so high. He's not great defensively and is rather clumsy in the tackle. He's also not great going forward and rarely, if ever, threatens the opposition goal.

I 100% get why Rodgers' brought him to Anfield. They know each other from Swansea and Allen is the type of young, 'cultured' player that Rodgers' wants playing for us but I just think there's something lacking with him. I'm not sure if it's because he's tired or whether he's started to believe the hype about himself and doesn't want to risk a more tricky pass in case it either affects his passing stats or Rodgers has a go at him for losing possession.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14818
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/12/2012 10:30:23 AM   
HughesRoss

Well, it seems that Tom Ince is on his way back to us.  A 4m fee is viturally beem agreed and he should be signed and announced on the day the transfer window opens......

Also talks are ongoing with Chelsea for the 12m sale of Sturridge, but while reports are saying that Ince is a "done-deal",  Sturridge is no where near completed yet!

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14819
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 18/12/2012 10:39:24 AM   
Nezzley

Sahin's a very good player but we may struggle to get the best out of him. He's more of a deep-lying playmaker in the style of Pirlo or Alonso, he's good at retaining possesion but also excellent with his long range passes which you probably won't see a lot of under Rodgers as he seems to prefer a slow build up of short passes. He's fine playing deep and keeping it short like Allen but in Rodgers system he should play higher up the pitch, he started off playing closer to Suarez and scored 2 goals in his first few games but since then he's played the Allen role, then a 3-5-2 and now has been dropped from the side.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14820
Page:   <<   < prev  492 493 [494] 495 496   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  492 493 [494] 495 496   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI