Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  491 492 [493] 494 495   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/11/2012 3:50:00 PM   
directorscut

Decent result. Swansea good team obviously. Better than drawing with Villa.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14761
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/11/2012 5:16:51 PM   
Brooksy84

Awful, awful performance. Second to every ball, sloppy passing, no energy or support from the centre of midfield when we attacked the wings, Gerrard, Allen and Downing really poor. The way we're playing at the moment finishing in the bottom half of the table is a very real possibility. Getting fed up of watching these turgid performances week in week out; were it not for Suarez, Sterling and in the last few weeks Enrique there would be no positives to this season at all.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14762
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/11/2012 6:21:50 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

Awful, awful performance.

Come on it was hardly an awful awful performance. It wasn't anything special but it was away at Swansea and we could have won it.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 14763
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 26/11/2012 1:36:06 AM   
Nezzley

8 games unbeaten in the league now which is a small step but a sign of progress. There's still the left-over problem of last season in drawing too many games and not scoring enough goals, however I've been encouraged with how Rodgers is doing with a weaker squad and don't really understand some of the negativity towards him. He's overhauled the squad which limped to 8th last season and brought in several promising young players who have performed excellently considering what's been asked of them.

The midfield though is a concern, Gerrard looked off the pace yesterday, Allen has struggled in the last few games playing Lucas's role and Sahin has looked a little lost when he has played. Plus I'm still not sure why Assaidi continues to be overlooked for the league games, but considering how bad Downing was at left-back yesterday there may be a reason.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14764
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/11/2012 11:21:21 PM   
directorscut

How much did Henderson cost again?

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14765
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/11/2012 11:36:23 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

Downing left back? Enrique as a striker?!

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

How much did Henderson cost again?

16m... I think. More like 16p. He is improving apparently.

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

Post #: 14766
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/11/2012 11:41:20 PM   
directorscut

Sixteen million.

Sixteen milllllllliiiiionnnnn.

Could have bought eight Michus for that.

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 14767
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/11/2012 9:47:32 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Sixteen million.

Sixteen milllllllliiiiionnnnn.

Could have bought eight Michus for that.

or nearly a whole Robbie Keane.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 14768
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/12/2012 10:19:25 PM   
directorscut

Good to see Rodgers has appeared to turn the home form around. From the highlights it looked like Liverpool played some marvelous stuff. Enrique and Johnson looked superb on the wings. Good to see Lucas back too, though he was understandably off the pace.

Suarez banned for the next match though.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 14769
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/12/2012 11:12:58 AM   
HIM

Fantastic to see Rafa's love-child back. Hopefully he'll offer more protection to the back four and also allow the more forward thinking players to support Suarez more in attack.

Worrying that Suarez is banned for one match though. He was exquisite yesterday, despite not scoring.

Post #: 14770
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 3/12/2012 9:12:16 AM   
Saltire

That suspension has been hanging over him a while now. A decent run of games to come for Liverpool though which they should be fine for even without him for a game or two.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14771
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/12/2012 1:05:14 PM   
HIM

What does everyone make of the rumours surrounding the possible difficulty in tying Raheem Sterling down on a longterm contract? Man City and Arsenal are rumoured to be after him. It goes without saying that it would be a major blow to lose him. He's the most exciting young talent to break into our first team since Michael Owen.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14772
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/12/2012 1:38:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I was chatting to Olaf in the Arsenal thread about wages there and Walcott, etc when I said this:

quote:

Liverpool seem to be playing a similar stupid game to Arsenal in contract negotiations. On the one hand Sterling is good enough to start every game and play a pivotal role for them. On the other they don't want to pay him a big wage. If I were him and watching Joe Cole, and others minting it on the side line while I work my legs off, I'd feel no great loyalty to Liverpool when the first good chance to move came along.

And that sums up my thinking, if he's good enough to play week in, week out for Liverpool then he's good enough to be paid a wage for doing that and if Liverpool don't want to pay it I'm sure someone else will. Yes, Liverpool gave him the break, but if they think he is an asset they should be paying him as such.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14773
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/12/2012 1:55:37 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I was chatting to Olaf in the Arsenal thread about wages there and Walcott, etc when I said this:

quote:

Liverpool seem to be playing a similar stupid game to Arsenal in contract negotiations. On the one hand Sterling is good enough to start every game and play a pivotal role for them. On the other they don't want to pay him a big wage. If I were him and watching Joe Cole, and others minting it on the side line while I work my legs off, I'd feel no great loyalty to Liverpool when the first good chance to move came along.

And that sums up my thinking, if he's good enough to play week in, week out for Liverpool then he's good enough to be paid a wage for doing that and if Liverpool don't want to pay it I'm sure someone else will. Yes, Liverpool gave him the break, but if they think he is an asset they should be paying him as such.

This is the problem I'm having with Chelmsford City in FM2013. All I want to do is offer that pretty decent Australian left-back another 25 to his contract offer, but the Board won't play ball. Argh!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14774
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/12/2012 2:34:56 PM   
HIM

quote:

quote:

He's 17 though. He should just be happy to be playing regularly for a club like Liverpool. Wages should be the last thing on his mind. Joe Cole was an established England international with a proven career at the highest level when we signed him, hence his wages. Sterling has bundles of potential but at the moment it's nothing more than that. If he thinks he should be earning anything near what Joe Cole is earning at 17 then he is deluded.

There's nothing wrong with signing a new contract now that pays a few thousand a week and then renegotiating that contract in a year or two for even more money. Happens all the time.

Post #: 14775
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/12/2012 2:59:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I have to say that in general I agree, that his focus should be on developing his game and getting match time, not on whether he gets paid a huge amount or a fantastic amount of money. But let's be kind to the lad and imagine that he is able to weigh up first team opportunities with a team that will help him develop with wages and this is all in the balance of his thinking.

I have no idea what wages he is on right now, or what is on the table. The best figures I have heard is currently 3K and his advisors think he is worth 50K and Liverpool value him at around 20K pw. But that is newspaper talk that I take with a large pinch of salt. Even the 50K is not a big big figure. It wont be the same salary as the superstars at the team are getting and it does leave scope for increases. But like every negotiation I expect that this is the absolute top end figure and they'll be happy a good deal lower.

I think the argument that he is 17 and should be happy isn't a strong case any more. He's 17 he's played for Liverpool and has shown himself to be capable at the top level, so I think there will be a number of PL teams (or ones abroad) that would play him. And a team like Liverpool just doesn't have the cache it used to, this is no longer a top 4 team.

There is something IMO wrong with signing a new contract now and and then negotiating in a year or two's time. If he's good enough for the first team now, why not pay him like a first team player now. Otherwise what is likely to happen is that he decides to stick with Liverpool gets another couple of years of experience and then walks about because why not, they never wanted to pay him what he was worth. In that scenario I think Liverpool lose, unless he turns out to be crap.

On a related note, papers say Sturridge is after 80K in wages and IMO he's achieved less, but again that is paper talk.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14776
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/12/2012 5:06:44 PM   
HIM

quote:

And a team like Liverpool just doesn't have the cache it used to, this is no longer a top 4 team.

Maybe not to an established international, but to a 17 year old it is an absolutely huge draw to play for a club like Liverpool. If we're talking about a bidding war between Real, Barcelona, Man U and Liverpool then you would have to say that the other three are much bigger draws than Liverpool.

Post #: 14777
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/12/2012 12:30:42 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

What does everyone make of the rumours surrounding the possible difficulty in tying Raheem Sterling down on a longterm contract? Man City and Arsenal are rumoured to be after him. It goes without saying that it would be a major blow to lose him. He's the most exciting young talent to break into our first team since Michael Owen.

It wouldn't be the end of the world imo; they'd just need to use the money properly (mind you this is Liverpool we are talking about!) and reinvest wisely. They'd be able to snatch up a Spanish kid for pennies that'd be just as good I'm sure.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14778
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/12/2012 1:08:17 AM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

It wouldn't be the end of the world imo; they'd just need to use the money properly (mind you this is Liverpool we are talking about!) and reinvest wisely. They'd be able to snatch up a Spanish kid for pennies that'd be just as good I'm sure.

You reckon? The kid is better than good and he will soon, not in a few years, but soon, be a lot better than that. I don't like the way football has gone; I won't list the obvious reasons. But make no mistake, these days, with agents, advisors, hell, needy or greedy family, a 17 year old kid, and he is just a kid, could go in any direction here. He seems like a decent fella, but times have changed and if bigger teams than us, right now (don't snigger!), come in for him with 75k and champs league football offered, well, as I say, who knows what might happen. The main thing, apart from any loyalty felt, would be if he felt he would get first team action each week with Man U, Chelea, City or Arsenal, for example. And Real Madrid/Barca? He's almost 18 and just got into Liverpool's first team..........really?

Well, that's my tuppence-worth la.......

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14779
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/12/2012 1:09:02 AM   
gazpop

Although there are some really great Spanish players in the PL right now.........

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14780
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/12/2012 1:27:51 AM   
Olaf

Well, he's probably worth somewhere in the region of 10-12m and will probably sell for an extra 5/10m due to being English. You could get eight Michus for 16m.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14781
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/12/2012 7:10:51 PM   
Rinc

Sterling does have a few kids to pay for though so I suppose he needs a bit extra.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14782
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/12/2012 7:36:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Doesn't this story seem to come around every other transfer window. Reina sale talks (or not) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20618197

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14783
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/12/2012 1:15:19 AM   
Saltire

As much as I like Reina, after his form the last few years it wouldn't be a big blow if Liverpool offloaded him now.

Post #: 14784
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/12/2012 10:51:04 AM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

You reckon? The kid is better than good and he will soon, not in a few years, but soon, be a lot better than that. I don't like the way football has gone; I won't list the obvious reasons. But make no mistake, these days, with agents, advisors, hell, needy or greedy family, a 17 year old kid, and he is just a kid, could go in any direction here. He seems like a decent fella, but times have changed and if bigger teams than us, right now (don't snigger!), come in for him with 75k and champs league football offered, well, as I say, who knows what might happen. The main thing, apart from any loyalty felt, would be if he felt he would get first team action each week with Man U, Chelea, City or Arsenal, for example. And Real Madrid/Barca? He's almost 18 and just got into Liverpool's first team..........really?

Well, that's my tuppence-worth la.......

I agree. It would be a mistake for him to move to a club like City where first team chances would be a few and far between. Look what happened to Shaun Wright Philips when he moved from City to the money bags of Chelsea. He was on the cusp of being an England regular but instead it completely derailed his career.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14785
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 6/12/2012 7:46:27 PM   
directorscut

Why do Udinese have Spider-Man on their sleeves?

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14786
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 10/12/2012 10:00:16 AM   
HIM

Great win yesterday. For the first 15 minutes or so we were magnificent but then West Ham United started to come back at us and they deserved their lead. I couldn't see any way back for us but we managed to keep going 'til the end. We're now only four points off fourth place, which is quite remarkable considering we had the worst start to a league campaign in 100 years and we've been playing the majority of the season with only one striker! We've got Villa, Fulham, Stoke and QPR next so we should be looking to get at least 3 wins from that run. Stoke away will be very tricky indeed though.

Post #: 14787
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 10/12/2012 6:17:59 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Why do Udinese have Spider-Man on their sleeves?

No idea, have wondered also the last few years why Valencia have bats on their badge and shirts too.

EDIT: bats are on Valencia's coat of arms too, so the football club is reflecting that.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 10/12/2012 6:22:48 PM >

Post #: 14788
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 10/12/2012 6:20:46 PM   
Saltire

quote:

Great win yesterday. For the first 15 minutes or so we were magnificent but then West Ham United started to come back at us and they deserved their lead. I couldn't see any way back for us but we managed to keep going 'til the end. We're now only four points off fourth place, which is quite remarkable considering we had the worst start to a league campaign in 100 years and we've been playing the majority of the season with only one striker! We've got Villa, Fulham, Stoke and QPR next so we should be looking to get at least 3 wins from that run. Stoke away will be very tricky indeed though.

Yeah I thought they'd get beat at Upton Park prematch. It wasn't the best performance from them this season, but Shelvey lead the line well in the absence of Suarez, Henderson looks to be making more of an impact these days, and with Lucas back the midfield is looking more assured. With one or two good signings in January the season could still turn out pretty good for Liverpool.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14789
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 11/12/2012 1:11:35 AM   
gazpop

twould be a 2005-esque style comeback for us to get ANYTHING from this blasted season.......grrrrrr

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14790
Page:   <<   < prev  491 492 [493] 494 495   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  491 492 [493] 494 495   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI