Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2012 4:47:51 PM   
Rinc

Good points about why would they join but I'll answer that with: footballers are stupid!

Walcott should stay with Arsenal if they start playing him through the middle. If I was Ba I'd probably go to Liverpool just because historically we're a better team. I'm guessing Liverpool would pay each of them more money too.

The question of Ba leaving Newcastle is already pretty tiring though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14701
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2012 4:59:55 PM   
Professor Moriarty

It's going to be an interesting January. To see what transfer kitty and wage budget Rodgers will get. As I've mentioned before 6 of the clubs highest paid players must be outside the first XI now. So will the owners sanction the reported 10M transfer and 100K wages on Walcott? Especially as its really hard to see how they'll move in the players Rodgers doesn't want without taking huge hits.

I like what Rodgers is trying to do. But he does make me think of a mad new girlfriend. She moves into your apartment on Friday and by Sunday has you in the shops, saying "I don't like the curtains, towels or bed, we need to buy new ones". While you are thinking "I just got them, can't you see if they'll grow on you instead of making me buy a load if new stuff".

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14702
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2012 5:06:02 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

It's going to be an interesting January. To see what transfer kitty and wage budget Rodgers will get. As I've mentioned before 6 of the clubs highest paid players must be outside the first XI now. So will the owners sanction the reported 10M transfer and 100K wages on Walcott? Especially as its really hard to see how they'll move in the players Rodgers doesn't want without taking huge hits.

I like what Rodgers is trying to do. But he does make me think of a mad new girlfriend. She moves into your apartment on Friday and by Sunday has you in the shops, saying "I don't like the curtains, towels or bed, we need to buy new ones". While you are thinking "I just got them, can't you see if they'll grow on you instead of making me buy a load if new stuff".

Hey it wasn't her fault you spent 100 million on a couple of lead paper weights.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 14703
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 4:15:32 PM   
Rinc

Good start by us but we can't let Newcastle get into this game. We also need some runners beyond Suarez and Sterling because at the moment they're getting the ball and having to go alone.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14704
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 4:47:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just joining the game for the 2nd half. Is 0-1 a fair reflection at half time?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14705
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 4:48:15 PM   
Rinc

Absolutely fucking typical.

Anyway, I don't think Suso really works wide on the right. He doesn't have the pace or trickery the position needs and he's often too deep. We need more directness up there so I'd stick Gerrard in the middle with Suarez and Sterling either side of him. Suso can move back and pass the ball about which is his strength.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14706
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 4:49:07 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Just joining the game for the 2nd half. Is 0-1 a fair reflection at half time?

Probably not! We started well and up until the goal were ending well. I'd say on balance of play we've been the better side but our forwards are not getting any support and are running into blind alleys.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14707
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 5:23:15 PM   
Rinc

We're controlling the game again and actually supporting Suarez. Still not completely happy and this is why we need a central striker. Suarez loves to come deep and get the ball and that only works in this system if the two wide forwards fill in for him up front making diagonal runs and getting in between the full back and the centre back. Suso isn't that kind of player and seems more suited to a deeper role. Sterling could do it but lacks a bit of power and the tactical know how. So we need more power and presence up front and supporting runners or, Suarez needs to stay further forward and let the midfielders come forward to get the ball. That's not going to happen with the way he likes to play so Suarez either needs to stay where he is and have someone more suited to the wide right role (Gerrard or Assaidi) or move Suarez out right and have someone else in the centre (Gerrard). I don't think Gerrard has got the legs to do either of these roles consistently but when we're chasing the game he should be moved. Especially as we have someone like Shelvey on the bench who can sit in midfield and drive forward in the Gerrard role.

Also Enrique's final ball is awful.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14708
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 5:23:54 PM   
Olaf

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14709
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 5:45:48 PM   
directorscut

An unlikely contender for Liverpool's MOTM:

Kenny Cunningham from Newstalk's live commentary!

"Coloccini has really impressed me this match."

20 seconds later... Coloccini sent off.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 4/11/2012 5:46:04 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14710
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 6:23:00 PM   
Rinc

Same old same old.

Suarez really needs someone up front near him like I said in my previous post.

Johnson needs to come back soon or we should think about playing Robinson at LB. Four teenagers on the pitch would be better than three and Enrique.

Wisdom is decent but loses position and gets muscled off the ball at times.

Jones' distribution is still rubbish but at least he was throwing it out a bit more this time.

Shelvey is one of our few direct players and should be playing more.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14711
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 6:26:00 PM   
Rinc

From Rodgers:

Most people in football know he is a threat, he plays the false nine role like [Lionel] Messi does at Barcelona. He will be disappointed we did not win.

Big difference being Messi has players like Pedro, Sanchez, Fabregas and Iniesta who make the diagonal runs into the box to fill the hole left by Messi dropping deep.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14712
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 7:22:15 PM   
Nezzley

Michael Owen slammed the red card on twitter but if you watch the replay Coloccini raises his leg after Suarez has played the ball and goes studs in to leave his mark on Suarez. It's dangerous and stupid regardless of the intent.

Typical home display, dominate possesion, create lots of chances but can't come away with the win. Agree with Rinc on the need for wide forwards to exploit the space left by Suarez, the've tried to do that a little with Sterling over the past few weeks and this was what essentially Borini was brought in to do. Walcott would be a good addition as he's more suited to that sort of role rather than being used as a winger like Valencia or Bale.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14713
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 7:25:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Same old same old.

I only listened to it on the radio but Liverpool did sound good. The SSS Squad (Shelvey, Sterling, Suarez) sounded particularly exciting. I think Newcastle is a game Liverpool would have probably lost at the beginning of the season. Point is good.

quote:

He's only one month older than Jurassic Park FFS! He's only played five matches! Come on Rinc, I thought you were more sensible than this.

quote:

Jones' distribution is still rubbish but at least he was throwing it out a bit more this time.

Again, he's only played four league matches for Liverpool. You can't expect Rodgers to turn him into Higuita overnight. At least he isn't making as many mistakes as Reina.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14714
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 7:57:28 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nezzley

Michael Owen slammed the red card on twitter but if you watch the replay Coloccini raises his leg after Suarez has played the ball and goes studs in to leave his mark on Suarez. It's dangerous and stupid regardless of the intent.
Typical home display, dominate possesion, create lots of chances but can't come away with the win. Agree with Rinc on the need for wide forwards to exploit the space left by Suarez, the've tried to do that a little with Sterling over the past few weeks and this was what essentially Borini was brought in to do. Walcott would be a good addition as he's more suited to that sort of role rather than being used as a winger like Valencia or Bale.

Colo is not that type of player for starters. Regarding him raising his leg after Suarez has played the ball, well, that is true but Colo's intent was to intercept the ball as Suarez played it ..... its just Suarez was quicker than Colo which is no surprise. What does surprise me though is how in incidents like this people focus so much on slowed down replays which can never be viewed that way in true time. Couple all this with what looked like no contact i feel Colo was treated harshly.
I know im a Toon fan but am rarely biased although for the reasons i have given i dont belive it should have been a red.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14715
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 9:22:18 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I only listened to it on the radio but Liverpool did sound good. The SSS Squad (Shelvey, Sterling, Suarez) sounded particularly exciting. I think Newcastle is a game Liverpool would have probably lost at the beginning of the season. Point is good.

quote:

He's only one month older than Jurassic Park FFS! He's only played five matches! Come on Rinc, I thought you were more sensible than this.

I'm not questioning him as a player long term, I think he's going to be an awesome player. But at the moment he's a weak link in the team and the sooner Kelly comes back the better. Just because he's young doesn't mean he can't be criticised.

quote:

quote:

Again, he's only played four league matches for Liverpool. You can't expect Rodgers to turn him into Higuita overnight. At least he isn't making as many mistakes as Reina.

The guy's 30, he knows how to play the game and quality of distribution isn't something that is gained from playing a few games. It's something he should just have tactically and naturally. At the moment his distibution is apalling and much worse than the mistakes Reina has made. Only last week Jones punched the ball back into the middle of the box and Everton scored.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14716
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 9:28:09 PM   
directorscut

quote:

The guy's 30, he knows how to play the game and quality of distribution isn't something that is gained from playing a few games. It's something he should just have tactically and naturally. At the moment his distibution is apalling and much worse than the mistakes Reina has made. Only last week Jones punched the ball back into the middle of the box and Everton scored.

Should, but we all know the British game doesn't operate that way. I bet he was taught to punt the ball up to the big man rather than pass it out for most of his career.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14717
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 9:29:57 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Colo is not that type of player for starters. Regarding him raising his leg after Suarez has played the ball, well, that is true but Colo's intent was to intercept the ball as Suarez played it ..... its just Suarez was quicker than Colo which is no surprise. What does surprise me though is how in incidents like this people focus so much on slowed down replays which can never be viewed that way in true time. Couple all this with what looked like no contact i feel Colo was treated harshly.
I know im a Toon fan but am rarely biased although for the reasons i have given i dont belive it should have been a red.

His studs were raised and he was nowhere near the ball. Doesn't matter if he meant it or not or if he was too slow. It was dangerous play and he deserved to go. He extended his leg after the ball was played so if he was going for the ball not only was he being really slow but he was going in the wrong direction.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 14718
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 9:31:57 PM   
Rinc

quote:

quote:

Should, but we all know the British game doesn't operate that way. I bet he was taught to punt the ball up to the big man rather than pass it out for most of his career.

In which case he's not good enough and he deserves criticism.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14719
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 9:43:57 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I thought Liverpool were going to snatch that and it would have been a good scalp for them.

Lots of possession, but little end product. Beautiful finish by Suarez (and Cabaye), just start to wonder if he will be there come September next season if he keeps scoring.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14720
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 10:03:10 PM   
Rinc

I thought we'd snatch it too. Oh well, as always there's positives to take from the game (excellent pressing, Suarez, Sterling, Agger, control of the game). There's things that will only improve with time but I do think Rodgers is making the odd mistake with his tactics as I detailed earlier. My extensive experience in FM allows me to make these criticisms.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14721
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 4/11/2012 11:57:48 PM   
Nezzley

quote:

There's things that will only improve with time but I do think Rodgers is making the odd mistake with his tactics as I detailed earlier. My extensive experience in FM allows me to make these criticisms.

Exactly. All 2nd half I was screaming to switch to 3-4-1-2 and go from balanced to high pressure mode like in Fifa 13.

On the subject of Wisdom, he looks more like a centre half than a right back. He's strong and a good reader of the game but not great going forward.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14722
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 9:36:43 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

His studs were raised and he was nowhere near the ball. Doesn't matter if he meant it or not or if he was too slow. It was dangerous play and he deserved to go. He extended his leg after the ball was played so if he was going for the ball not only was he being really slow but he was going in the wrong direction.

It was a Red. Went at Knee height and Suarez was lucky the guy didn't connect with him, as that could been a serious injury.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14723
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 9:54:16 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: RINC
Big difference being Messi has players like Pedro, Sanchez, Fabregas and Iniesta who make the diagonal runs into the box to fill the hole left by Messi dropping deep.

Yeah that's the main big difference.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14724
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 3:14:50 PM   
jonson

"Suarez is our Messi"
Basically, he's our best player and top goalscorer. Yeah, David Nugent is Leicester's Messi as well.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 14725
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 5:34:49 PM   
The Lensman

Re: Coloccini

The last time I looked, and this isn't me being smarmy or anything, but Suarez controlled and played the ball n front of him. Coloccini had the foot up and went down on the back of Luis' legs...... that's a difference if Coloccini had made the late tackle towards the front of Suarez....

If that makes sense.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14726
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 5:50:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

My suspicion is that unless Liverpool can offload some of those big earners that Rodgers doesn't rate he'll not get much more than 10 - 15M to spend. And I think he'll want more. So, I do wonder if a big bid, say 35M, came in for Suarez if he'd take this so he could buy 4 or 5 new players.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 14727
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 6:15:23 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: RINC

Yeah that's the main big difference.

Of course I was talking purely tactically about the false nine role. We all know Messi has nothing on Suarez as an individual player.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 14728
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 6:19:30 PM   
Rinc

quote:

My suspicion is that unless Liverpool can offload some of those big earners that Rodgers doesn't rate he'll not get much more than 10 - 15M to spend. And I think he'll want more. So, I do wonder if a big bid, say 35M, came in for Suarez if he'd take this so he could buy 4 or 5 new players.

I'd be surprised if we have more than 10m. The board were so reluctant to up the Dempsey bid by a couple of million it just screams no money. Dempsey didn't fit into FSG's idea of the players we're buying but it was still incredibly tight.

As for a massive bid, I suspect we would accept but I reckon it would have to be more than 35m. The board are probably embarassed by the money spent on certain players and would want to look like they know what they're doing.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14729
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 5/11/2012 6:55:57 PM   
Professor Moriarty

It will be interesting one day to hear the full Dempsey story. I was very surprised they did not up their bid, based on the fact that I thought the US player with FSG would be an interesting marketing promotion, as well as player.

I also wonder if he'd have ever joined Liverpool if the Spurs deal was on the table. Seems easier to keep his family in London and if its CL football he's after, then I'd have seen more chance of achieving this with Spurs than Liverpool.

I've wondered since if the acrimony of FSG announcing the deal as done some time before lead them to think that Fulham were just posturing with the Spurs bid to look for more money from them and they didn't take that seriously. Normally I'd not expect that as surely the agent would be saying "yup, its bona fide", but it seems that the Liverpool hierarchy was hardly in place and I can see that question not being asked or the answer believed.

I know we all laugh at Blackburn and Newcastle with their owners who buy a club and know nothing about football. But FSG only look like the slick sports management outfit you'd expect them to be when it comes to commercial deals. A lot of their other stuff (the fly on the wall series, the Suarez affair, the transfer fiasco, etc.) they really have seemed very amateurish at times.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14730
Page:   <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  489 490 [491] 492 493   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI