Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  488 489 [490] 491 492   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 10:26:26 PM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

I don't remember Fellaini having a Liverpool player hobble off injured mid game, nor do I remember him lunging in a potential ankle breaking challenge.

But I do remember seeing a potentially rib breaking kick to Allen's chest. Oh but that's OK as Allen didn't make a song and dance about it, he just got up and got on with it.

Osman raked down the back of Sterling's Achilles. But you wouldn't remember that surely....

You mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf5HCQ0wJQ0

Yeah, I can see how it was a foul, certainly. Possibly a yellow and at least a talking to. I don't see how it was potentially bone breaking in the same way Saurez's attempt on Distin was (posted earlier).

And unfortunately Mirallas was unable to shake off the earlier Saurez challenge. I imagine he had all the time in the world to make a song about it as he sat injured throughout the next 45 minutes.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 28/10/2012 10:27:40 PM >

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 14671
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 10:27:46 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Pot kettle black.

We haven't denied or argued anything about what you have said have we? What we are saying is, if you wanna bitch and moan about Suarez, we have the right to say the same about your boys.....

If you want to concentrate on just our players carry on by all means, but its not gonna get anywhere as its vastly becoming very old news to pick on Suarez.

Wouldn't this imply that he's not cheating/diving anymore?

Was that evident today? No, the only dive I saw came from Everton's captain who owned up... but when the man who before the match spoke about it.... MORE than happy to speak about Suarez and the diving.... when he was asked about it after today - nothing.

What a load of bollocks.

But there's two GIFs above depicting fairly clear-cut instances of Suarez cheating in today's game. Not diving admittedly, but still the sort of thing that cynical players do, thus earning a reputation for being cynical. He also dived in the Stoke game last week, so it's not like he's cut it out or anything (I'm aware of the stamp in that game as well, as it happens). Anyone who criticises the English media's depiction of Suarez as a cheat is ignoring the fact that he wouldn't have a reputation if he didn't cheat in the first place.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 14672
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 7:36:06 AM   
The Lensman

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't remember Fellaini having a Liverpool player hobble off injured mid game, nor do I remember him lunging in a potential ankle breaking challenge.

But I do remember seeing a potentially rib breaking kick to Allen's chest. Oh but that's OK as Allen didn't make a song and dance about it, he just got up and got on with it.

Osman raked down the back of Sterling's Achilles. But you wouldn't remember that surely....

You mean this:

Yeah, I can see how it was a foul, certainly. Possibly a yellow and at least a talking to. I don't see how it was potentially bone breaking in the same way Saurez's attempt on Distin was (posted earlier).

And unfortunately Mirallas was unable to shake off the earlier Saurez challenge. I imagine he had all the time in the world to make a song about it as he sat injured throughout the next 45 minutes.

So to you a dangerous off the ball incident only merits at least a talking to?

I not continuing this debate, as your blue tinted glasses are clearly obstructing a balanced argument.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14673
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 7:38:44 AM   
The Lensman

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pot kettle black.

We haven't denied or argued anything about what you have said have we? What we are saying is, if you wanna bitch and moan about Suarez, we have the right to say the same about your boys.....

If you want to concentrate on just our players carry on by all means, but its not gonna get anywhere as its vastly becoming very old news to pick on Suarez.

Wouldn't this imply that he's not cheating/diving anymore?

Was that evident today? No, the only dive I saw came from Everton's captain who owned up... but when the man who before the match spoke about it.... MORE than happy to speak about Suarez and the diving.... when he was asked about it after today - nothing.

What a load of bollocks.

But there's two GIFs above depicting fairly clear-cut instances of Suarez cheating in today's game. Not diving admittedly, but still the sort of thing that cynical players do, thus earning a reputation for being cynical. He also dived in the Stoke game last week, so it's not like he's cut it out or anything (I'm aware of the stamp in that game as well, as it happens). Anyone who criticises the English media's depiction of Suarez as a cheat is ignoring the fact that he wouldn't have a reputation if he didn't cheat in the first place.

Cheating, or committing a forwards tackle..... if you think he is...

Jagielka's foul on Sterling could be highlighted
Mirallas hack down in the match is another.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14674
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 9:12:04 AM   
Rinc

Going back to your first post Gazz you essentially said I can't complain about Fellaini because I hadn't said anything about Suarez. That's obviously a load of bollocks. Firstly because I had said in my post that both Liverpool and Everton got away with not getting certain yellows. And secondly because every complaint about an opposition player doesn't have to come with a proviso that I criticise or if my own. Your post came across as 'Mummy I shouldn't be told off for name calling. The other boy called me loads of names!'

You can say Suarez's tackles were more dangerous (this isn't a pudding contest), but I agree with Lensman in that Fellaini's could've broken some ribs. Have you ever seen someone breaking a rib on the football pitch? It doesn't take much and an off the ball kick to the ribs by a big guy like Fellaini could easily do it. Saying it was possibly a yellow and he deserved a talking to us laughable.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 14675
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 9:42:19 AM   
Gazz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean this:

So to you a dangerous off the ball incident only merits at least a talking to?

At least a talking to, NOT only a talking to. I even acknowledged it as a possible yellow. Would have no qualms if he was shown a card with that.

quote:

I not continuing this debate,

Perhaps it's best if you don't.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 29/10/2012 9:55:01 AM >

Post #: 14676
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 9:44:29 AM   
emogeek

Anybody remember when this used to be the "friendly derby"?

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14677
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 9:51:18 AM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Going back to your first post Gazz you essentially said I can't complain about Fellaini because I hadn't said anything about Suarez. That's obviously a load of bollocks. Firstly because I had said in my post that both Liverpool and Everton got away with not getting certain yellows. And secondly because every complaint about an opposition player doesn't have to come with a proviso that I criticise or if my own. Your post came across as 'Mummy I shouldn't be told off for name calling. The other boy called me loads of names!'

I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy in complaining what one of our players got away with without an acknowledgment of the shite your own pulled, injuring one of our key players in the game without a card. Again, it would be if I were to complain about Liverpool diving without acknowledging Neville's display yesterday. I imagine you'd call me out on it all the same, just as Lensman did with Moyes and his pre game press talk. I've not made any excuse for Fellaini, have acknowledged the challenge highlighted (as a possible yellow, which it is every day of the week) and even provided a video of it (above). This is would be more like Mummy watching her two kids swear but only chastising one of them. Terrible parenting.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 29/10/2012 9:53:56 AM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14678
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 11:58:04 AM   
Rinc

There was no hypocrisy on my part as I pointed out both Liverpool and Everton should have received yellows they didn't and they both received yellows they shouldn't have. I really wouldn't have been surprised if Fellaini and Suarez had been sent off for those challenges. Plenty of others have for the same type.

Anyway let's remember the important thing to come out of this game. My gentlemans bets with two friends over who would win are null and void given the draw. So now I don't owe a pint to each of them!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14679
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 12:03:25 PM   
Gazz

Fair does.

quote:

Anyway let's remember the important thing to come out of this game. My gentlemans bets with two friends over who would win are null and void given the draw. So now I don't owe a pint to each of them!

Every cloud. I don't think I was in any state to make winning Everton bets pre-game. Regardless of form we just don't perform well in derby games as evident from the on going record.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14680
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 29/10/2012 5:02:50 PM   
horribleives

I think Moyes deserves a pat on the back for cleverly winding up the oposition's best player before the match. Worked a treat...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14681
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 30/10/2012 2:13:53 PM   
Brooksy84

I took absolutely nothing positive from the game on Sunday; very frustrating to watch. We bottled a 2-0 lead; defended abysmally for both goals; our final ball from the midfield was consistantly poor. Individual errors yet again costing us points - I will never in a million years understand what Brad Jones was doing punching the ball back to the edge of the box like that. We were visibly scared of Everton as soon as they started to come at us. In fact the only good thing about that match was the comedy value of watching Phil Neville get booked for diving.
I'm prepared to be patient, I do have faith in Rodgers, and we have been playing some attractive football so far this season, but every positive step seems to be followed by two backwards. 2 points gained against Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Everton is not good.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 14682
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 30/10/2012 4:14:21 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

I took absolutely nothing positive from the game on Sunday; very frustrating to watch. We bottled a 2-0 lead; defended abysmally for both goals; our final ball from the midfield was consistantly poor. Individual errors yet again costing us points - I will never in a million years understand what Brad Jones was doing punching the ball back to the edge of the box like that. We were visibly scared of Everton as soon as they started to come at us. In fact the only good thing about that match was the comedy value of watching Phil Neville get booked for diving.
I'm prepared to be patient, I do have faith in Rodgers, and we have been playing some attractive football so far this season, but every positive step seems to be followed by two backwards. 2 points gained against Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Everton is not good.

How many points did you expect to get against the Champions and three of the best sides in the country?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 14683
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 30/10/2012 4:38:03 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

How many points did you expect to get against the Champions and three of the best sides in the country?

If I'm right, 7 points from the corresponding fixtures last season. Two cup runs and 52 points in the league last season.

I'm not sure any targets make sense this season. I think a general feel that the team is playing well and adopting to Rodgers management will suffice. But I think next season it will be valid to start looking at performances against the top 4-5 teams and to expect some form of progression (60+ points?).

Post #: 14684
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 30/10/2012 7:41:26 PM   
Brooksy84

It would be less of an issue if we were picking up solid wins against the mid to lower league teams, but that isn't happening. For the last couple of years we've put in some good results against the big sides, we always seem to raise our game, but this time around we've been much the better team (Arsenal accepted) but dropped points due to silly errors.
As I said in my last post, I'm more than prepared to accept that transition will take time, but it's hard to swallow when for 90% of the season so far we've been better than our opponents but come away having been beaten or with a disappointing point.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14685
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 31/10/2012 6:26:19 AM   
horribleives

Well, you always turn us over at Anfield so sunday's game should get you back on track.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 14686
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 31/10/2012 1:19:57 PM   
gazpop

I'd settle for another 4-3 win. Where's big Stan?
Brooksy has hit the nail on the head. Let's see how we play this weekend....

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 14687
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 31/10/2012 10:24:10 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Interesting result as the holders go out. Swansea have been on the ropes recently, so expected even an understrength Liverpool to take this win.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 14688
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 7:38:42 AM   
jonson

But, but, but, to be fair, Brendan Rogers is building a legacy etc etc etc
Yeah, so was Keane and Blackburn

Sorry, I have 3 lads at work who are typical Liverpool supporters, I'm just waiting for them to come in this morning.
22 minutes and counting.......

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 14689
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 9:16:45 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Other than Europe, there is every chance that in measurable terms Liverpool could do worse this season than last, i.e.:
- league position
- league points
- cup runs

But I think you are right, it doesn't really matter as it is about next season and the season after for the club. I don't see any undue pressure coming on Rodgers from the owners or most of the fan base.

I just hope that they start to get some results as I'm starting to find Rodgers a bit of a whiner. I don't really see how you can complain about having a thin squad when you are home against Swansea and you play Cole, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Downing & Suarez.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 14690
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 9:54:36 AM   
Rinc

I think Rodgers is moaning about the thin squad because he doesn't rate about half of them.

Disappointing to lost last night because it would've been a nice confidence booster. Don't care about the competition really, I always find myself saying 'It would be nice to win in it/win the competition' as in 'Oh isn't that nice, that cat and dog are friends'. It doesn't particularly matter and it isn't the same as the PL or CL qualification.

As for our performance this season, I'm well prepared for us to do worse than last season and it wouldn't really bother me. As long as things are looking good for the future and we've got a plan. Unlike Hodgson and Dalglish it actually feels like something is developing at the club, a long term philosophy and a way to make us a sustainable, successful club.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14691
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 10:09:33 AM   
Nezzley

We have to remember that Rodgers didn't exactly inherit a top four squad, they finished 8th last season (and ended it very poorly) and he spent most of the summer getting rid of players (kuyt, maxi, adam, bellamy, carroll, spearing) and brought in several inexperienced but very talented young players to replace them. So it's not unreasonable for fans to show a little faith in him and not immediately call for his head after a bad result.

I'd be expecting an improvement over last years position or points tally as our home form was (and still is) quite abysmal. I see Joe Cole's being publicly slated by Rodgers, not sure where he fits into this side as there's currently better options out wide and in midfield.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14692
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 10:12:23 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I think Rodgers is moaning about the thin squad because he doesn't rate about half of them.

Ah right. That makes sense. Poor Joe Cole. He came back from France to play for Rodgers and he's subbed off at half time.

The challenge for Rodgers is how he is going to move on some of these players. Let's say right now that senior players he'd happily live without are:
Reina
Enrique
Cole
Downing
Henderson
Carroll

I'd be surprised if any of those were on less than 50K pw. So that's maybe 15M over the year, or let's say at least 10M (and it could be more). Carroll may well go to WHU and its not beyond the realm of possibility that someone will take Reina, but the others I'd say would all be going down a step to their next club (at least in terms of the club's brand and money). And that's before you even factor in what will be lost on the transfers.

I'd expect that the agent's of younger players wont have missed they are starting more games and establishing themselves and will be knocking on the contract renegotiation door soon.

So, I see what Rodgers is saying, but I'd be very surprised if he finds it easy to build up that squad in the next year unless he can pull off some really good bargain hunting.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 1/11/2012 10:27:07 AM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14693
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 10:12:56 AM   
Rinc

I didn't see the game and haven't seen Rodgers' comments. But what is he expecting? Cole has barely played and can't be expected to suddenly play incredible football.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14694
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 10:24:04 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nezzley

We have to remember that Rodgers didn't exactly inherit a top four squad, they finished 8th last season (and ended it very poorly) and he spent most of the summer getting rid of players (kuyt, maxi, adam, bellamy, carroll, spearing) and brought in several inexperienced but very talented young players to replace them. So it's not unreasonable for fans to show a little faith in him and not immediately call for his head after a bad result.

I'd be expecting an improvement over last years position or points tally as our home form was (and still is) quite abysmal. I see Joe Cole's being publicly slated by Rodgers, not sure where he fits into this side as there's currently better options out wide and in midfield.

I see your point on the end of last season I don't think you won a game in Feb and only 4 games between the end of Jan and end of the season.

But ,personally I think your target may be a little optimistic. Purely in terms of points, I think you were 8 points better off at this time last season and with such a young team I'd expect them to tire at the end of the season. Also, we can expect some type of strengthening up front, but basically if Suarez loses form, picks up a red and misses matches or gets injured its hard to see where goals will come from.

In terms of improving the position. I don't see Chelsea, City, Utd, Arsenal or Spurs falling behind Liverpool. Which means only 1 more team you could fall behind to improve on 8th. With Liverpool in transition I'd consider several teams to be capable of that right now.

I'm not saying Liverpool will be relegated (or even anywhere near those spots). Or that Rodgers isn't setting down the foundations for improvements. But I'd not be surprised to see Liverpool finish in the bottom half of the table with less than 50 points this season.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 1/11/2012 10:54:15 AM >

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14695
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 10:37:51 AM   
Nezzley

quote:

I didn't see the game and haven't seen Rodgers' comments. But what is he expecting? Cole has barely played and can't be expected to suddenly play incredible football.

Might be trying to get a reaction out of him a la Downing, we clearly need more goals in the team but it's hard to see Joe Cole becoming a regular goal scorer or adding much more to the side. There's plenty of creativity and dribbling ability with Suarez, the wingers we have and the options in midfield.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14696
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 11:39:51 AM   
Brooksy84

Whenever I'm at work when a game is on, as with last night, I rely on the sky sports app to get updates. As I watch and wait for the score to load up, I always think to myself: "well we'll be losing, of COURSE we'll be losing", in some childish attempt at cosmic reverse psychology. And EVERY fucking time, we're losing. And normally lose, or manage to claw back a draw.
The competition as a whole isn't the be all and end all of course, but every home game is becoming such a psychological issue at the moment and we seem to have a mental block stopping us from getting the win. For that reason alone a win last night would have been important just to put some confidence back in the team. But hey ho, ahead to the weekend, against a team with two on form strikers against our dodgy defence....shit.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14697
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 1/11/2012 12:08:00 PM   
Frank Castle

time to let gerrard go

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 14698
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2012 2:27:05 PM   
Rinc

What does everyone think of Walcott or Ba?

Either of them would be an improvement on nothing! I've never been a big fan of Walcott although he'd hopefully be better through the middle because he's far too inconsistent out wide. Not sure about paying him loads of money though. I'd love Ba but I worry he'll just break down at some point and we'll be backt to square one.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 14699
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 2/11/2012 3:40:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think my first question would be whether either player would join Liverpool.

I still find Walcott wildly exciting, even if he does draw my ire when he fluffs another cross or runs down a dead end. He's not started many games this season and he wants to play through the middle. So a move to Liverpool would be an improvement on his current status. But, Wenger has been making noises that if they can sort the new contract by X-mas he'd get both of these.

Ba's buy-out clause every transfer window is getting on my tits. Will it never go away? I know his nose was out of joint last season when Cisse came and he got pushed wide, but he seems happier now. So it'd just be for the cash if he moved imo as it feels a sideways move otherwise.

I think they will both improve Liverpool. But I'm not sure there's a strong case for either of them to join. I think the reason these two are mentioned is that they are financially capped moves, I suspect that any team who isn't trying to get rid of a player will see Liverpool's desperation coming a mile off in Jan and make them pay through the nose if they can.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14700
Page:   <<   < prev  488 489 [490] 491 492   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  488 489 [490] 491 492   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI