Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 12/10/2012 3:31:01 PM   
HIM

I'm going to echo Rinc's sentiments and say that in spite of results and league position, I am extremely happy with Brenden Rodgers' tenure as Liverpool manager so far. The style of football we're playing is excellent and the amount of youth players coming through - albeit out of necessity - is very encouraging. In particular Sterling, Suso and Wisdom all look like the real deal. Shelvey is also developing into an extremely talented midfielder and a natural successor to Steven George Gerrard MBE. With him and Joe Allen we have the making of a very good central midfield. If those two continue to develop and Lucas remains fit then, in my opinion, in a few years we'll have a midfield as good as the holy trinity of Gerrard/Alonso/Mascherano.

Rodgers was brought in to build a legacy, not just a team and I think the signs are there that that is happening. Even at this early stage. Call me optimistic but I think it's clear to see that he's doing a great job. That's why there are no murmurs from the press or ex-players or fans calling for Rodgers' head. Those in the know, those that actually watch the games can see that our league position belies our performances. Are we going to get relegated? No. Is a Champions League place a reasonable target? No, not really. So what good would it do to axe the manager? We all knew that this season would be transitional and seven games do not make a season.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14641
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/10/2012 1:57:24 PM   
The Lensman

I add to growing maturity that BR and his young troops are bringing the table, I can see only good things developing at the club. I do think we have the right owners against what would be perceived as an opposite to some on this forum and media.

With today's announcement of our home being given a face lift, only common sense prevailed. For the cost of 15,000 extra seats, the club have chosen not only the cheaper but more sensible option. I would also think that totaling the stadium to closer to 70,000 in the future is a realm of possibilities once this phase is completed and results improve on and off the pitch.

Also, if the club were to sell off the name of the new stands for extra revenue, I would be cool with that. Its an extra income that can be spent on the playing staff.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14642
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/10/2012 4:17:40 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

With today's announcement of our home being given a face lift, only common sense prevailed. For the cost of 15,000 extra seats, the club have chosen not only the cheaper but more sensible option. I would also think that totaling the stadium to closer to 70,000 in the future is a realm of possibilities once this phase is completed and results improve on and off the pitch.

Has 70,000 been mentioned for a 2nd phase? If it was possible it would have to be highlighted and looked at now, before the whole area is developed.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 14643
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/10/2012 5:39:20 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Has 70,000 been mentioned for a 2nd phase? If it was possible it would have to be highlighted and looked at now, before the whole area is developed.

Errrrr, that was me thinking.....

What's actually been discussed is a preference for redeveloping Anfield, what happens next is further discussions with all parties involved. Planning permission, purchase of appropriate land etc. This is the start of a long road.

Once that has occurred, the redevelopment will go up to tender and then timescales......

So a LONG way before any thoughts of a phase 2. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have that in their thinking considering they mentioned United's 70,000 and match day income.

Anfield has the potential to seat much more than 60,000 simply because there is a demand for it. But it would be dependent on results of a successful commercial operation and a return to the top tariff of the league.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 14644
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 15/10/2012 5:45:34 PM   
Rinc

I'm happy with the decision to redevlop Anfield. I've never been one for tradition or sentimentalism and would have been happy to move to Stanley Park. Anfield is a great stadium with a great history but I'd choose the future of the club over wallowing in the past. However, given the cost of building a completely new stadium it seems a lot more sensible to stay put and redevlop which should cost half the amount. The only problem could be expanding in the future. It's always difficult to expand in a residential area and we could definitely do with a stadium even bigger than 60,000.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 14645
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 16/10/2012 12:23:48 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

I thought there was something magical about the 60,000 figure, as in once you go above it everything get considerably more expensive over and above the number of seats you add. Also for Anfield the infrastructure that Liverpool would have to fund to cover more fans would also push costs through the roof.

If its 150 Million for 15,000 seats I think it increases to a lot more than that for the next 15,000. Arsenal had a similar problem I seem to remember with Ashburton and they don't have the infrastructure issues that you'll have.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14646
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/10/2012 9:58:19 AM   
HIM

We've got a grant from the council (around 25m I believe) to improve the infrastructure, so hopefully that should solve the issue.

I definitely think there's scope to further improve the capacity in the future, money and demand permitting. The current plans are to rebuild the Main Stand (the one where the dugouts are and from where the matches are filmed) and the Anfield Road Stand (the one opposite the Kop, where the away fans are seated) in order to bring the capacity up to 60,000. This still leaves the Centenary Stand and the Kop that could be redeveloped in the future. Obviously this depends on finances and demand but it's definitely possible. I don't think it's part of the current plans and I think FSG (and the fans) will be content with bumping up the stadium to 60,000 at the moment but I don't see any reason why it couldn't happen further down the line.

I can't wait to see some artist impressions of what the new stands will look like. Official planning permission should go in around next April, so hopefully we'll see something around that time.

Post #: 14647
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 17/10/2012 11:09:15 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Hope you are right HIM, would be good to have two super stadiums in the north West but I can't see it.

25 Million for infrastructure will be a drop in the ocean I should think if they want to get to 70K + capacity, but isn't the 25 Million just for the council to sort out the local housing? Has 25 Million been given to LFC? Not seen that if true.
Just to give some perspective to the 25 Million if it has been given to LFC the Merseytram project (obviously covering a wider area) is currently budgeted at over 450 Million and Liverpool would have to pick up a lot of the tab.

I just can't see it happening, it won't be worth the money to the owners.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 17/10/2012 11:19:28 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14648
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/10/2012 10:29:55 AM   
jediwarrior

First home win of the season It was a nail biting for the last 20 mins as we missed so many chances to finish the game.

Funniest moment of the game was when the ref gave a foul on Suarez just outside the box and the Kop went wild and then the rest of the ground joined in and the whole crowd gave a standing ovation for the the free kick for about 2 -3 minutes Then Suarez put the free kick into the wall

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 14649
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/10/2012 10:40:20 AM   
Professor Moriarty

What did you think of Johnson at left back? Enrique seemed to be one of the buys of last season (4M was it?), but Rodgers just doesnt' seem to fancy him at all.

Tough games coming up. Everton should be favourites next weekend, but we know their knees start knocking when they run out against Liverpool. Newcastle are tough to score against. Chelsea could well tear Liverpool apart.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 14650
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/10/2012 11:00:43 AM   
jediwarrior

I would perfer him at Right Back but he has got in some good positions and linked up well with Sterling.
Enrique looked quite good when he came on and played as a left winger and maybe should have got a goal but bottle the shot and passed it instead.

Wisdom who played at Right back looks good and should have a good future at the club.

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14651
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/10/2012 11:00:48 AM   
Rinc

I like Johnson at LB. He's played there quite a few times before and done well. I think his defensive discipline has improved over the last year or so but playing at left back he seems more disciplined due to being on the wrong side. Enrique went downhill rapidly last season, in fact it's a real strange one. Johnson looks a lot more solid than him and with our depth at right back it solves a few problems.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14652
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/10/2012 3:02:10 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Interesting game this evening against the new money of Anzhi. Pleased that Rodgers seems to be going for it with Suarez and Gerrard in the team.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14653
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/10/2012 5:33:04 PM   
The Lensman

The issue I have is that the last time we played to a near full strength team in an European game, the following domestic match we were atrocious against Arsenal.

Post #: 14654
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 25/10/2012 6:19:03 PM   
directorscut

Match being shown anywhere?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 14655
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 26/10/2012 9:01:07 AM   
jediwarrior

Played quite well last night. Cracking goal from Downing. Thought Assaidi looked really good and hopefully he will start playing in the premiership soon.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14656
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 2:06:53 PM   
Rinc

Fuck

Good start but since our second Everton have pressed us really well in midfield and haven't given us any time on the ball. Jones' distribution has been shocking as well

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14657
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 3:42:53 PM   
Rinc

Terrible decision at the end. And am I right in saying Fellaini didn't get booked at all? If he didn't what a joke, he was committing niggly fouls throughout. Ref was a bit inconsistent with both sides receiving yellows when they shouldn't and getting away with potential yellows.

On our part we got harassed in midfield and couldn't handle it. There were too many individual errors as well and it was only when the new formation started bedding in during the second half did we take the sting out of Everton. Wisdom was poor so Henderson improved things.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14658
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 3:46:10 PM   
Rinc

Also loved Suarez's celebration for the first!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14659
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 5:17:46 PM   
jediwarrior

Really can't see how the linesman can give offside. Level with play and gave it a good 5 or 6 seconds after we scored and after Everton players appealed for it.

Agree about Fellaini how he never got booked I don't know. Also is Moyles going to be charged by the FA as you're not allowed to talk about refs before the game and he did when talking about Suarez diving. Funny that it was his player that got booked for it.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14660
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 7:25:56 PM   
The Lensman

Some good positives there from that game, considering how well Everton are playing we should of won had it not been for the linesman! But the officials weren't on our side, Joe Allen was hounded all afternoon.... did anyone see kick to the ribs he got from Afroman? What about that Moyes, he can talk all he wants and just like Pulis but its clear to see, that the only way their team can win is through over aggressive play.

Its hilarious that also he wouldn't answer to questions about diving after his own skipper got booked for it.

I thought today was a good day to see Assaidi. His trickery on the left hand side would of caused some damage.

Post #: 14661
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 8:45:39 PM   
Gazz

I don't see how you can complain about Fellaini with the shit Saurez pulled and got away with. Moyes is right in saying he was lucky to be on the pitch by the final whistle. Not just because of this (which is a red and potential ankle breaker):

But also because of his foot/ ankle stamping that injured Mirallas in the first half.

But yeah, he was a terrible ref for both sides overall.

In the end I think 2-2 was a fair result but I'm disappointed that we (EFC) didn't go on to take three points after the 2 goal come-back. Unfortunately I don't think we're destined to take much from derby games.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 28/10/2012 8:48:37 PM >

Post #: 14662
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 9:07:24 PM   
Rinc

So because one of our players committed a few fouls means we can't complain about one of yours who committed loads including booting one of our players on the floor and didn't even get a yellow? Bollocks!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14663
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 9:17:47 PM   
The Lensman

Classic Pulis and Moyes move there Gazz....

Deflecting you're own issues by bringing something else up.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14664
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 9:18:00 PM   
Gazz

I don't remember Fellaini having a Liverpool player hobble off injured mid game, nor do I remember him lunging in a potential ankle breaking challenge. You're more than welcome to continue complaining about how lucky a selection of our players were to be on the pitch (and I'm sure you will), but I think it's important to recognise the actions of your own as you do so or else it simply smacks of hypocrisy. Like if I were to complain about diving without acknowledging the actions of Neville today, I imagine you would call me out on it all the same.

quote:

I don't see how the above post is any less relevant to the overall conversation.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 28/10/2012 9:22:19 PM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14665
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 9:55:51 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazz

I don't remember Fellaini having a Liverpool player hobble off injured mid game, nor do I remember him lunging in a potential ankle breaking challenge. You're more than welcome to continue complaining about how lucky a selection of our players were to be on the pitch (and I'm sure you will), but I think it's important to recognise the actions of your own as you do so or else it simply smacks of hypocrisy. Like if I were to complain about diving without acknowledging the actions of Neville today, I imagine you would call me out on it all the same.

quote:

I don't see how the above post is any less relevant to the overall conversation.

Pot kettle black.

We haven't denied or argued anything about what you have said have we? What we are saying is, if you wanna bitch and moan about Suarez, we have the right to say the same about your boys.....

If you want to concentrate on just our players carry on by all means, but its not gonna get anywhere as its vastly becoming very old news to pick on Suarez.

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14666
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 10:05:03 PM   
Olaf

quote:

Pot kettle black.

We haven't denied or argued anything about what you have said have we? What we are saying is, if you wanna bitch and moan about Suarez, we have the right to say the same about your boys.....

If you want to concentrate on just our players carry on by all means, but its not gonna get anywhere as its vastly becoming very old news to pick on Suarez.

Wouldn't this imply that he's not cheating/diving anymore?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 14667
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 10:06:55 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

I don't remember Fellaini having a Liverpool player hobble off injured mid game, nor do I remember him lunging in a potential ankle breaking challenge.

But I do remember seeing a potentially rib breaking kick to Allen's chest. Oh but that's OK as Allen didn't make a song and dance about it, he just got up and got on with it.

Osman raked down the back of Sterling's Achilles. But you wouldn't remember that surely....

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 14668
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 10:09:43 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Pot kettle black.

Wouldn't this imply that he's not cheating/diving anymore?

Was that evident today? No, the only dive I saw came from Everton's captain who owned up... but when the man who before the match spoke about it.... MORE than happy to speak about Suarez and the diving.... when he was asked about it after today - nothing.

What a load of bollocks.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14669
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 28/10/2012 10:18:47 PM   
Gazz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pot kettle black.

quote:

You appear to be missing the point by a quite vast margin.

You complain about Moyes making no comment about Neville diving after his Saurez based pre game press, then excuse those ignoring the actions of their players to make comment on the lesser actions of the opposition.

I'm not making excuses for Fellaini. I'm simply pointing out that if you're going to talk about lucky decisions in regards to fouls then perhaps you should remember how lucky Liverpool were before doing so.

< Message edited by Gazz -- 28/10/2012 10:19:46 PM >

Post #: 14670
Page:   <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  487 488 [489] 490 491   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI