Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 5:50:48 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

Where were we under Hodgson after 7 league games? I'm sure it wasn't as worse as this.

I just hope Torres doesn't get a hattrick when we meet at Stamford Bridge this month.

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 14611
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 5:54:09 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectator of Suicide

We dominate a lot of matches but it's pretty pointless if the players excluding the youngsters are not good enough to put the ball into the back of the net.

I said it from the start of the season Rodgers won't make it into the New Year.

It's crazy to get rid of a manager so early on in his tenure. Unless the team is in danger of relegation, which it isn't, and was playing dire football, which it is isn't. We've got a new manager, some new players and a new style of play. It's not going to be perfect straight away and it might take a while to bed in, but for the first time in a long time we're playing good football, have players with great technique and a young team in which youth players are getting a chance. Despite our league position and the results, I'm happy.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 14612
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 5:55:27 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Where were we under Hodgson after 7 league games? I'm sure it wasn't as worse as this.

I just hope Torres doesn't get a hattrick when we meet at Stamford Bridge this month.

Under Hodgson we played the worst football I've ever seen in 25 years of watching Liverpool. He played players out of position and brought in dross.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14613
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 6:00:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I don't really see how you can compare the two manager's reigns. I didn't think Hodgson was given enough time, but I'll happily agree with Liverpool fans who were upset at the style of play under Hodgson. You really can't say the same for Rodgers imo.

I think the first 7 games under Uncle Roy were
1 - 1 Arsenal
0 - 3 City
1 - 0 WBA
0 - 0 Birmingham
2 - 3 Utd
2 - 2 Sunderland
1 - 2 Blackpool

So I make that the same number of points, but I think they were lower in the league at this point.

I just can't agree with this attitude of wanting the manager out after a handful of games. A club like Liverpool is a juggernaut and a manager has to have chance to steer the ship in their own direction.

Post #: 14614
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 6:26:25 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Great result today. Is Rodgers still at Anfield? I'm sure he'll be gone by Christmas. Good riddance.

I thought Liverpool fans were renowned for their football knowledge...

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 14615
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 6:32:30 PM   
Saltire

quote:

We dominate a lot of matches but it's pretty pointless if the players excluding the youngsters are not good enough to put the ball into the back of the net.

I said it from the start of the season Rodgers won't make it into the New Year.

Your a glass half empty guy I see.

Post #: 14616
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 7:40:38 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Blatant Penalty........

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14617
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 8:02:43 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

Under Hodgson we played the worst football I've ever seen in 25 years of watching Liverpool. He played players out of position and brought in dross.

To be fair to Roy, he joined a club on the verge of bankruptcy. Dross was all he could afford to bring in

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14618
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 8:47:13 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

To be fair to Roy, he joined a club on the verge of bankruptcy. Dross was all he could afford to bring in

Plus Meireles was better than anything Kranky Kenny and Catastrophe Comolli brought in for 100 million.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 14619
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 11:01:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Blatant Penalty........

And Rogers wonders why when he does get fouled he gets nowt...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14620
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 11:11:02 PM   
horribleives

Speaking of cheating, according to Match Of The Day 2 when Gareth Bale does it it's all a bit of harmless fun.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 14621
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 11:22:03 PM   
directorscut

And that should have been Huth off...

Post #: 14622
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 7/10/2012 11:42:36 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

Plus Meireles was better than anything Kranky Kenny and Catastrophe Comolli brought in for 100 million.

I really liked Meireles and would have praised Roy for signing him. Except Roy played him on the right wing!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14623
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 12:02:15 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Blatant Penalty........

Can't decide if it was better than this one or not:

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14624
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 1:31:23 PM   
Nezzley

To be fair to Suarez he could be bungled to the ground, have his neck stamped on and the referees would still look over and say "pena......, no, no, wait it's luis suarez, foreign player = diver, play on"

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14625
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 1:38:45 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nezzley

To be fair to Suarez he could be bungled to the ground, have his neck stamped on and the referees would still look over and say "pena......, no, no, wait it's luis suarez, foreign player = diver, play on"

That's causation for ya. He's brought it on himself.

Bale can fuck right off as well the cheating little prick.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14626
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 1:50:01 PM   
Olaf

quote:

While I agree that Suarez isn't getting some legitimate calls this season, he only has himself to blame for being such a blatant cheat on a regular basis. As long as there isn't a consistent and fair system for banning divers retroactively (which would be much preferred, of course), the best deterrent is the treatment that Suarez is getting from referees at the moment*. It's obviously not ideal, and there is the problem of foreign players getting singled out - Gareth Bale is possibly the worst serial diver in the league but doesn't get near the same attention as Suarez - but it's difficult to feel much sympathy to be honest. Of course, Brendan Rodgers's suggestion last week that the team will have to dive more to get decisions hardly helps matters.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14627
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 2:14:56 PM   
horribleives

quote:

So like your clueless manager you're buying the line that it's all the ref's fault? The mind boggles.
The fact that he's still doing it even after Rodgers spoke of missing out on legitimate calls as a result speaks volumes about him.
There's only one person to blame here and until he stops doing it referees will continue to mistrust him.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 8/10/2012 2:16:29 PM >

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14628
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 5:56:03 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

Rinc, we've been buying dross for years. Look at Benitez's transfers, nearly 100 players wasn't it? Majority of those were crap, always injured and hardly played a game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Great result today. Is Rodgers still at Anfield? I'm sure he'll be gone by Christmas. Good riddance.

I thought Liverpool fans were renowned for their football knowledge...

I get it from Gerrard when he said a top 4 is a possibility.

< Message edited by Spectator of Suicide -- 8/10/2012 5:59:23 PM >

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14629
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 6:58:56 PM   
Nezzley

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

So like your clueless manager you're buying the line that it's all the ref's fault? The mind boggles.
The fact that he's still doing it even after Rodgers spoke of missing out on legitimate calls as a result speaks volumes about him.
There's only one person to blame here and until he stops doing it referees will continue to mistrust him.

This was one example, born likely out of frustration at having being fouled constantly not to mention being stamped in the chest by Huth, which was seen by the referee but which he chose to brush aside.

And why shouldn't the referee draw criticism if he can't effectively do his job without making a guess based on someone's reputation?
If Leon Barnett clearly karate chops Suarez from behind when he's running clear on goal why isn't the referee or assistants being held accountable for not being in the correct postion to make the right call, without just deciding "Luis Suarez, dives all the time, don't think I'll give it".

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

Post #: 14630
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 9:04:46 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

This was one example, born likely out of frustration at having being fouled constantly not to mention being stamped in the chest by Huth, which was seen by the referee but which he chose to brush aside.

And why shouldn't the referee draw criticism if he can't effectively do his job without making a guess based on someone's reputation?
If Leon Barnett clearly karate chops Suarez from behind when he's running clear on goal why isn't the referee or assistants being held accountable for not being in the correct postion to make the right call, without just deciding "Luis Suarez, dives all the time, don't think I'll give it".

Because the ref has to be sure to give it, and Suarez reputation always brings into the decision an element of doubt. Therefore if there is any doubt at all in the referees mind, he isn't going to give it to Suarez, because basically he's a cheating cunt.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14631
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 10:12:54 PM   
Rinc

Bob, what did you think of the Hillsborough report? Haven't heard anything from you about it.

quote:

Rinc, we've been buying dross for years. Look at Benitez's transfers, nearly 100 players wasn't it? Majority of those were crap, always injured and hardly played a game.

What's Benitez suddenly got to do with it? You brought up Hodgson and I pointed out the differences. There is not a person on earth who would say we were playing better football or even decent football under him, so coupled with results, his transfers, his relationship with the players and his poor media handling he had to go.

Rodgers has at least got us playing nicely and while it's too early to judge on players Allen has been excellent and Assaidi could be a handful. The only doubt is Borini but then again we're only a few games in.

It just baffles me how you could want a manager out so early. And in fact I'm going to leave it there with you because it's obvious you're not going to change your mind.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14632
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 8/10/2012 11:13:52 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

Come on, he does it every week.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14633
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 9/10/2012 11:19:31 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Bob, what did you think of the Hillsborough report? Haven't heard anything from you about it.

Mainly because I felt no need to have a huge debate about it, certainly not with posters from here, where I'm posting less and less.
Liverpool fans are obviously going to feel entirely vindicated by the report, and all my opinions on the matter were going to do was in some way go against that. As my opinions are based on my memories, and feelings from that time I'm not really going to be interested in getting into a huge forum discussion about it. I'm not here enough to keep it going, and I'm too old for that shit.

Without commenting on the Newspaper reports which were horrendous sensationalist nonsense, the behaviour of the police attempting to cover up mistakes need to be investigated thoroughly. It was obviously an huge exercise in arse covering, but being told that apparently no fans had any responsibility for the accident and were almost exemplary behaved goes against what I remember. I'm still surprised no real investigation into the venue have been held or the people at the club, but again is that my personal bias?

Bigger decisions and mistakes were obviously made away from the fans, but it still seems strange to me that no fans at all contributed in anyway to the problem. That seems to be the message coming out, and one of the main things being taken away from the report by the fans and personally I find that difficult to square away. The report is obviously far more comprehensive than my personal experience, and it states clearly that there is no evidence of large numbers of ticketless fans. Additionally no exceptional levels of drunkenness either was the term used, and I suppose looking at games I go to now was it any more than a usual Saturday, which I think is the crux. To a 12 year old the aggressive behaviour demonstrated by fans at normal games can be quite frightening but I distinctly remember those fans prior to the game and it still bothers me now.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 9/10/2012 11:25:26 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14634
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 9/10/2012 5:24:56 PM   
Rinc

Fair enough Bob, just wanted your take on it considering you were there.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 14635
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 9/10/2012 6:12:11 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Obviously it's a good thing that truth has been established and any cover up has to be investigated thoroughly.

Don't really know what else to add, I suppose a bit odd is the best way to describe my feelings on the report in general because it was counter to what I believed.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14636
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 9/10/2012 7:23:53 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Obviously it's a good thing that truth has been established and any cover up has to be investigated thoroughly.

Don't really know what else to add, I suppose a bit odd is the best way to describe my feelings on the report in general because it was counter to what I believed.

I understand the thing about being there and seeing something different. When I went to football as a kid (mainly Tranmere then Southend) and we stood on the terraces it was always a bit scary. So I can only imagine what it would be like at a cup semi final.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 14637
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 9/10/2012 7:56:28 PM   
Goodfella

Well done Jonjo for making the England squad and thanks Liverpool for the 1.7 million you now owe us!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14638
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 11/10/2012 8:24:56 PM   
emogeek

Italian FA are reporting that Borini has broken his foot in training.

Although that actually improves our attacking options

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 14639
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 12/10/2012 3:15:37 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

Italian FA are reporting that Borini has broken his foot in training.

Although that actually improves our attacking options

The way he's been playing I'd rather see one of the youngsters step in and see what they can do.

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 14640
Page:   <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  486 487 [488] 489 490   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI