Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Liverpool - 2005/06

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  484 485 [486] 487 488   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 20/9/2012 8:00:21 PM   
Brooksy84

Frustrating game. Yes we won and scored 4 goals - I don't count the freak own goal as us "scoring" - but we were so poor defensively. If we play like that against better defensive sides we'll get a hammering. Positives were it was good to Shelvey get a couple, and Suso put in a good showing.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 14551
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 20/9/2012 9:16:47 PM   
Goodfella

Well done Jonjo lad, keep it up!!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 14552
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/9/2012 12:05:29 AM   
Saltire

That was scrappy, but entertaining.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 14553
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/9/2012 9:44:13 AM   
jediwarrior

Only saw 2nd half due to coming home from work during the first half.

Would have been happy with a draw when I saw the side but to score a few goals is excellent. The defence was all over the place but it did seem it was the older players causing the problems.

Jonjo did really well and so did Borini with his running and creating space.

Now lets seen how the first team can do on Sunday.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14554
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/9/2012 12:34:58 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I was watching this on and off and actually managed to miss the first four goals . I agree it was scrappy but really entertaining - I was suprised you shipped goals so easily though.

What are Liverpool fans feelings on Jonjo Shelvey, looks a decent player with a powerful shot on him - future England player?

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 14555
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/9/2012 2:05:20 PM   
Nezzley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What are Liverpool fans feelings on Jonjo Shelvey, looks a decent player with a powerful shot on him - future England player?

He's a talented young player with a lot of confidence but will need some time to develop his tactical intelligence. Some games last season he was a bit over-ambitious with his passing in midfield and too combative, flying into challenges (he was a straight red waiting to happen at times). However he seems to have shown improvement under Rodgers and is preferred to Henderson, despite the latter starting more games than any other outfield L'pool player last season.

Not sure entirely where Rodgers sees his best position, either as the link player in a 3 man midfield or as an attacking midfielder behind the striker.

Good performance last night, defence was very suspect but that tends to happen when we play with a new back line. Coates at least was impressive, don't know what's happened to Enrique however, has gone really downhill since the turn of the year.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 14556
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 21/9/2012 5:36:15 PM   
Saltire

Shelvey is still very raw but he does look as if he'll be pretty good one of these days.

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14557
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 22/9/2012 9:30:25 AM   
Rinc

I love Shelvey, if he continues to progress I think he'll be a great player for us. We've missed someone who can dictate the pace of a game and create space in midfield since Alonso. Whilst he needs to be more disciplined in his tactical intelligence like Nezzley said, he manages to create space and give himself that extra yard in midfield when there doesn't appear to be any. He's only 20 too but I reckon one full season of 40 odd games under his belt and he'll be a definite starter next season.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 14558
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 9:44:50 AM   
The Lensman

Just going to repeat what the others have said about Jonjo. For 1.7m he is looking like an absolute bargain, but he is somewhat different to Henderson in that he is more the Steven Gerrard player while Henderson is more like a Lampard who will play it safe than try the blockbuster pass. Which isn't a bad thing.

Shelvey looks class though. This is what the owners were wanting I would presume. Young, not costing much but lots of potential. As well as Sterling.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14559
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 2:12:23 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nezzley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

He's a talented young player with a lot of confidence but will need some time to develop his tactical intelligence. Some games last season he was a bit over-ambitious with his passing in midfield and too combative, flying into challenges (he was a straight red waiting to happen at times).

About that...

(on the other hand, at least it's evening up things slightly since Utd have decided to play without a central midfield so far.)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Nezzley)
Post #: 14560
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 2:13:58 PM   
Rinc

So good start passing the ball around and starting to create chances. Then what do you know Shelvey sees red! Not too many complaints, I think it looked worse than it was simply because of the speed he went in. Very stupid of him. I hope this doesn't turn the game on its head. Surprised Evra wasn't booked for his challenge on Sterling.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 14561
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:13:14 PM   
Rinc

We're our own worse enemies once again. Sending off and a penalty!

Van Persie was very lucky not to get sent off just then though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14562
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:16:10 PM   
matty_b

If that was a penalty, Liverpool should have had one in the first half for the trip on Suarez.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14563
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:19:33 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

If that was a penalty, Liverpool should have had one in the first half for the trip on Suarez.

That was a dive and the penalty was the right decision, but Evans should have been off as well in the Shelvey incident (RVP probably as well). Some strange refereeing decisions in this game.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 14564
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:24:01 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

That was a dive and the penalty was the right decision, but Evans should have been off as well in the Shelvey incident (RVP probably as well). Some strange refereeing decisions in this game.

Definitely some inconsistent refereeing. It was a penalty but if it hadn't been given I wouldn't have been surprised. Valenica went down very easily.

We've played well and I don't think the result really reflect that. Man Utd couldn't get near the ball in the first half and it was only the sending off that changed that. Would've been interesting to see how it would have gone with 11 v 11. Kelly has been really good down the right and Suso has impressed since coming on.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14565
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:31:15 PM   
directorscut

Mark Halsey giving dubious decisions to Man Utd. Never!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14566
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:35:56 PM   
Rinc

So seems we should have had a penalty. Just not our day really.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 14567
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:50:19 PM   
Nexus Wookie

RVP's challenge was one footed, and he was sliding in level with the ball. Whereas Shelvy's was two footed studs up - and we're suggesting RVP's merits a red? Really? It was a yellow and the ref got it spot on. And as the ref being biased, thats a load of shit. Maybe Liverpool should've tried harder, and less wasteful in front of goal?

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14568
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:56:30 PM   
Rinc

You could argue Van Persie deserved to go because his studs were showing and he wasn't in control considering he was sliding. Just because it was different to Shelvey's doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the same punishment.

And what about the Suarez penalty incident in the second half? He was caught in the box.

The ref had a poor game, Man U played shit, Liverpool did try really hard. But Man U got the result.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 14569
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 3:59:44 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

RVP's challenge was one footed, and he was sliding in level with the ball. Whereas Shelvy's was two footed studs up - and we're suggesting RVP's merits a red? Really? It was a yellow and the ref got it spot on. And as the ref being biased, thats a load of shit. Maybe Liverpool should've tried harder, and less wasteful in front of goal?

Actually, it was Evans who went in two footed studs up.

Post #: 14570
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 4:10:03 PM   
Brooksy84

So as noted, it's a sign of a good team that they can play poorly and still win.
What does that say about a team that can play well and still lose?
If we've become a team that gets a pat on the back for playing well against Man Utd and nearly winning then things are really bad. Individual mistakes and wastefulness have been common practice for the last three years now, and it's starting to get right on my wick.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14571
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 4:20:37 PM   
directorscut

David Luiz's tackle yesterday was only one-footed but I don't think you'd find anyone who thought it wasn't a red card... apart from the ref.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 14572
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 4:22:48 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

You could argue Van Persie deserved to go because his studs were showing and he wasn't in control considering he was sliding. Just because it was different to Shelvey's doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the same punishment.

And what about the Suarez penalty incident in the second half? He was caught in the box.

The ref had a poor game, Man U played shit, Liverpool did try really hard. But Man U got the result.

I agree Suarez could've gotten a penalty , but I think his reputation of going down easily did not help matters. But I do agree that Evans' challenge could've been a red card. For all their possession, Liverpool still couldn't break United down even if they were shit. Even down to 10 men Liverpool were still creating chances. But it was Scholes who changed the game for me, and NOT Shelvy's sending off. Liverpool are always hard to play against at home, and they seem to up their game whenever they play either Everton or United. A shame they can't do that on a regular basis and especially against lower placed team's in the league. If I was a Liverpool supporter i'd be pissed as hell right now. 18th place? No wins? That is simply not good enough for a team such as theirs.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/9/2012 4:26:24 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14573
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 4:36:42 PM   
Rinc

quote:

I agree Suarez could've gotten a penalty , but I think his reputation of going down easily did not help matters. But I do agree that Evans' challenge could've been a red card. For all their possession, Liverpool still couldn't break United down even if they were shit. Even down to 10 men Liverpool were still creating chances. But it was Scholes who changed the game for me, and NOT Shelvy's sending off.

I don't think Scholes was that good and even with him on Man Utd hardly changed the game. They were better than the first half but Liverpool were still playing better imo. Besides, Scholes came on after Shelvey's sending off so it's pretty much impossible to say for certain that it was Scholes that 'changed' the game and not the red card.

quote:

If I was a Liverpool supporter i'd be pissed as hell right now. 18th place? No wins? That is simply not good enough for a team such as theirs.

Any sensible Liverpool fan knows it's not going to be easy with a new manager instilling a new type of play with a few new players and a very young team. I'm not annoyed with the team as a whole because I don't think 2pts from 5 games is a fair reflection of how we've been playing. We should've got more points from both of the Manchesters and Sunderland whilst the Arsenal game wasn't quite the disaster that people have suggested since. The only totally awful game was the West Brom one but that just seemed to be one of those days.

What I am annoyed about is the individual errors that we're committing every single game. Those errors are the things that have cost us points.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 14574
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 4:45:12 PM   
jediwarrior

Looking at this Evans is clearly the two footed challange and the ref is looking straight at it

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 14575
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 5:17:34 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Doesn't really look like a challenge on Shelvey there - looks like if Evans had won that tackle he'd have gone straight past Shelvey as he wasn't running toward him at all. If Shelvey had won the tackle he was on a collision course for Johnny Evans' groin no matter what.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 14576
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 5:26:36 PM   
The Lensman

There are some ridiculous comments on this thread and some coming from the United camp today, possible goading, gloating and ill informed opinions about all things United is making believe that they're full of shit.

Yes we have issues and that has been deepened with the possible lengthy lay off of Agger, but no way would I be pissed off as stated earlier. More luck, less fuck ups and someone to actually put the ball in the back of the net and this season will turn out alright.

Post #: 14577
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 5:42:45 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

Doesn't really look like a challenge on Shelvey there - looks like if Evans had won that tackle he'd have gone straight past Shelvey as he wasn't running toward him at all. If Shelvey had won the tackle he was on a collision course for Johnny Evans' groin no matter what.

But Evans both feet are off the floor and studs showing, he should had seen Red as well.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 14578
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 5:50:39 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

So Evans was protecting his manhood with his two feet, yes I see your logic now.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 14579
RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 - 23/9/2012 7:48:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Liverpool were really good today even with 10 ten men. Ultimately I can see Rodgers succeding here but he probably needs to bring in a couple more players to fit his way of playing. I'd definately recall Carroll over xmas.

The Shelvey red looked bad but as Redknapp and Neville pointed out both of them were going in hard and without any control - I think it should have been a booking. Had it remained 11 v 11 Liverpool were looking like clear winners.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 14580
Page:   <<   < prev  484 485 [486] 487 488   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 Page: <<   < prev  484 485 [486] 487 488   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI