Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Deadwood

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Deadwood Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Deadwood - 15/1/2009 10:04:08 PM   
Zaphod121

I think it was also do to the fact that it costs loads to make as well.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 31
RE: Deadwood - 15/1/2009 11:24:51 PM   
Dave B

To be fair the expense is on the screen, it does look very cinematic and not in a TVish 24 kinda way either. While I've only seen the pilot so far, The Wire does look cheap by comparison.

Still surely HBO would see profit from the two movies?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 32
RE: Deadwood - 16/1/2009 9:01:39 AM   
demoncleaner

David Simon has said that The Wire was the only show on HBO's roster that consistently lost money with each run but new seasons were still being greenlit.  I think the difference is in the sets!  The same costly principle as Rome.  Baltimore is The Wire's set and they don't even have to dress the extras.  I agree that with Deadwood you can see where the money went, but I suppose the question HBO were asking was are enough people seeing the show to see were the money went?  I wonder if its a complete flight of fantasy to suppose that the TV movies couldn't become cinematic movies?  The creator of Rome seems to want to go in that direction and surely profit is more discernible from theatrical attendances (I've always wondered how TV companies make a profit based on ratings anyway).  I think it's obvious that Deadwood, in both its veneer and substance has cinematic pedigree. 

Who do we lobby?

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 33
RE: Deadwood - 16/1/2009 12:31:39 PM   
Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

(I've always wondered how TV companies make a profit based on ratings anyway).

The more ratings a show gets, the more the advertisers are willing to pay to have promote their product during the shows broadcast. They can also charge more for the show to overseas networks like the BBC or Sky. However the former obviously doesn't apply to HBO, which gets its money from subscriber's fees. However I don't see how they can differentiate what shows are losing money and what shows aren't.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 34
RE: Deadwood - 17/1/2009 4:41:31 AM   
furrybastard

They have commercials in between the shows though, right?

I guess they figure that the more people that are watching (including the repeats during the week), the more likely they'll get renewed subscriptions and even a few fresh ones too.  If a show is really expensive and only draws a moderate audience for one showing, then it stands to reason that the rest of HBOs subscribers don't like it and therefore may decide not to renew.  Shows like Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale all became too expensive and didn't have the audience to justify the expense (regardless of quality).

As for the Deadwood movies, they're dead.  David Milch said so, as did HBO.  And the cast are all scattered now anyway. Milch is working on a new show for HBO about the police set in the 70s which sounds pretty interesting.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 35
RE: Deadwood - 17/1/2009 12:16:57 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Im also a huge Deadwood fan, so glad to see some new viewers have bumped this thread back into focus.

I have to admit I found Season 3 to be the weakest and it's pretty heartbreaking to think the final episode is the last we'll see of this story.  Couldnt help but feel it was so unresolved and anti climactic.  The other bittersweet feeling I have for this show (on a similar vein to the Wire) is that the cast are uniformly excellent and you can't help but sense that so many of them will never get another role so memorable.  Olyphant in particular, his portrayal of Bullock just left me speechless.

Talking of Milch and his lyrical prose etc, I'm currently halfway through John from Cincinatti, which I understand only has the 1 season.  Should get through the remaining 5/6 episodes over the next week and I think I'll have to reserve judgement on the show til I've seen the whole thing.  Anyway, much like David Simon, I would watch anything from the pen/imagination of Milch.  John from Cincinatti does seem to be quite a headf*ck though!!  In saying that, Id rather be confused than bored.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 36
RE: Deadwood - 17/1/2009 7:54:17 PM   
Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I assumed you didn't because you had to pay for the Channel. I may be wrong though.

quote:

I guess they figure that the more people that are watching (including the repeats during the week), the more likely they'll get renewed subscriptions and even a few fresh ones too.  If a show is really expensive and only draws a moderate audience for one showing, then it stands to reason that the rest of HBOs subscribers don't like it and therefore may decide not to renew.  Shows like Deadwood, Rome and Carnivale all became too expensive and didn't have the audience to justify the expense (regardless of quality).

That still doesn't explain why the kept renewing The Wire, even though it was losing money each season. To be honest three seasons for Deadwood is pretty good considering how much to must have cost to make.

quote:

As for the Deadwood movies, they're dead.  David Milch said so, as did HBO.  And the cast are all scattered now anyway. Milch is working on a new show for HBO about the police set in the 70s which sounds pretty interesting.

Shame but then the show did end of a high so its not all bad. Also its not like they left us on a cliffhanger, the main plot points were all resolved.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 37
RE: Deadwood - 17/1/2009 8:33:36 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I assumed you didn't because you had to pay for the Channel. I may be wrong though.

Dave is right, there's no adverts on HBO

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 38
RE: Deadwood - 18/2/2010 5:44:24 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I watched a little bit of an episode on some freeview channel last night. am I alone when I reckon there is too much swearing in this show...?*  I mean really, the 'F' word is used even when it just isn't necessary. in general I didn't think much of it.

*wow. never thought I'd ever say that.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 39
RE: Deadwood - 19/2/2010 9:38:14 AM   
CORLEONE

One of the best shows ever. The swearing is fucking spectacular! Never has profanity been written in such a thoughful and eloquent manner. Sometimes it's poetic.

Al Swearengen is one of the all time chatracters in ANY entertainment medium.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 40
RE: Deadwood - 19/2/2010 9:50:17 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I watched a little bit of an episode on some freeview channel last night. am I alone when I reckon there is too much swearing in this show...?*  I mean really, the 'F' word is used even when it just isn't necessary. in general I didn't think much of it.

*wow. never thought I'd ever say that.

The language is a very important point in Deadwood. To be authentic the language would be mainly blasphemous and was very vulgar for the day. The problem is that it would be quite tame by todays standard which is why Milch has updated the language to including the likes of "cocksucker" as everyday words. It is supposed to be shocking and to make you uncomfortable as that is exactly how the language of the day made outsiders feel.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 41
RE: Deadwood - 19/2/2010 10:09:36 AM   
Snake-Eyes

ok, I understand where you're coming from, however, the episode I watched a wee bit of featured a scene where we see which Brad Dourif (is he a doctor in this? I don't know any of the characters) in some sort of Medics' tent with what looks like a bunch of lepers and a rather blokey-looking woman is asked to put a wet towel on the lips of one of the sick guys - she then says "I'm gonna put this wet towel on your fuckin' lips" rather casually. It just seemed pretty pointless and excessive to me.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 19/2/2010 10:10:41 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 42
RE: Deadwood - 19/2/2010 10:12:06 AM   
CORLEONE

That's Calamity Jane. If you knew anything about her character you'd know she was like that all the fuckin' time

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 43
RE: Deadwood - 19/2/2010 10:22:41 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

ok, I understand where you're coming from, however, the episode I watched a wee bit of featured a scene where we see which Brad Dourif (is he a doctor in this? I don't know any of the characters) in some sort of Medics' tent with what looks like a bunch of lepers and a rather blokey-looking woman is asked to put a wet towel on the lips of one of the sick guys - she then says "I'm gonna put this wet towel on your fuckin' lips" rather casually. It just seemed pretty pointless and excessive to me.

To be honest that is actually a perfect example of what they were trying to achieve.

That is exactly appropriate to how the language of the day was used. It was unnecessary, out of place with the rest of society and quite shocking.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 44
RE: Deadwood - 13/2/2011 5:15:14 PM   
Chojin

Just started this today - so far so good! I've been wanting to start this for ages but never found the time.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 45
RE: Deadwood - 1/4/2013 7:46:44 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Started this the other day and have watched the first two episodes, I'm already at the point where I feel I might just let it go. Barring McShane I just find it pretty dull in all aspects.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 46
RE: Deadwood - 1/4/2013 8:25:52 PM   
CORLEONE

I strongly urge you to stick with it. Starts quite slow but this is a show where the characters really make it. Once you care about 'em, you'll be gripped.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 47
RE: Deadwood - 1/4/2013 8:32:20 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Started this the other day and have watched the first two episodes, I'm already at the point where I feel I might just let it go. Barring McShane I just find it pretty dull in all aspects.....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 48
RE: Deadwood - 1/4/2013 9:21:38 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've watched three episodes back to back today and have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was. There's some great characters but there's some fucking annoying ones as well (Jane I'm looking at you!)

I'll see out Season One and see where I stand....

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 49
RE: Deadwood - 1/4/2013 9:27:08 PM   
CORLEONE

Post #: 50
RE: Deadwood - 1/5/2013 4:54:50 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Halfway through Season 2 now. I'm a cock sucking hooplehead now.....

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 51
RE: Deadwood - 1/5/2013 11:50:41 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

Halfway through Season 2 now. I'm a cock sucking hooplehead now.....

I didn't see this thread bumped a month a go to the day on 1st April. But I would concur with the aghast emoticon () that people don't think it's all that.

And so I'm glad you're with it now.

I saw Deadwood for the first time in 2009, and I was skeptical about getting into it then because I thought a) it was on Sky and b) if it was any good wouldn't there be more people saying it was good? I got halfway through season one and could NOT believe how good it was. I looked up Empire's review of the DVDs expecting to find 3 series of 3 or 4 stars, Empire lit that bitch up with 5 red one's for every series and I concur with that.

Deadwood is amazing. And I hate Westerns.

I'm on season 3 of Breaking Bad at the moment which I think is the greatest thing I've ever seen (apologies Fawlty Towers, apologies The Wire)... but I won't go into that thread until I've seen it all and get caught up to speed.

But Deadwood's a league of quality all unto itself Enjoy sir. Enjoy.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 1/5/2013 11:51:19 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: Deadwood - 2/5/2013 12:16:54 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

There's some great characters but there's some fucking annoying ones as well (Jane I'm looking at you!)

Just saw this as well. If you're like me and only had Doris Day as my sole reference point to Calamity Jane then the Jane in Deadwood has plenty license of depraved bombast.

Oh...wait to you see Francis Wolcott! He would make Caligula, Joffrey and Ramsay Bolton blush.

Post #: 53
RE: Deadwood - 2/5/2013 1:51:13 AM   
paul_lfc

quote:

There's some great characters but there's some fucking annoying ones as well (Jane I'm looking at you!)

EB is even more annoying, I despised Trixie aswell, not endearing in any way at all

Post #: 54
RE: Deadwood - 7/5/2013 11:37:56 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Only got the Season finale to watch! I'm really glad I stuck with it as it's bloody brilliant! The introduction of Hirst as the big bad is great, so many great characters and superbly acted. Even Jane has grown on me!

Looking forward to all out war in the finale!

Did Ian McShane win any awards for this? I bloody hope so!

Also, I saw mention of specials. Is there any or is the Season Three finale the last episode?

YFU and Deadwood HANG DAI COCK SUCKERS!

(in reply to paul_lfc)
Post #: 55
RE: Deadwood - 7/5/2013 3:08:10 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

Only got the Season finale to watch! I'm really glad I stuck with it as it's bloody brilliant! The introduction of Hirst as the big bad is great, so many great characters and superbly acted. Even Jane has grown on me!

Looking forward to all out war in the finale!

Did Ian McShane win any awards for this? I bloody hope so!

Also, I saw mention of specials. Is there any or is the Season Three finale the last episode?

YFU and Deadwood HANG DAI COCK SUCKERS!

They were muted but no no specials which is a shame as it's one of my favourite shows.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

Post #: 56
RE: Deadwood - 20/5/2013 6:02:51 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Finished this a couple of weeks ago. What a fantastic series. Really glad I stuck with it....

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Deadwood Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI