Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  959 960 [961] 962 963   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 27/4/2014 2:55:53 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Andrew Garfield is a terrible Spiderman/Peter Parker.

Still not seen either ASM films. I think Garfield is a much better actor than Toby Mcgaurie, but I think Remi did a really good job at least with the first couple of Spidey films.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 28801
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 7:38:14 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Really I thought he was great but I think he's a great actor.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 28802
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 11:08:35 AM   
Chronicle

I think he did a better job than Tobey Maguire. He was also very good in The Social Network.

Brian De Palma's Blow Out is better than Antonioni's Blow-up.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 28803
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 12:25:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

I think Garfield is a good actor generally but just doesn't do Spiderman well, mind you the shoddy scripts don't help!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 28804
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 12:28:34 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

I think he did a better job than Tobey Maguire. He was also very good in The Social Network.

Would agree with that, Blow Up might be an iconic film of its time but always seemed to me to be much ado about nothing in particular, and pretty dull too, Blow Out is far more rewatchable for a start.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 28805
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 1:20:13 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

Would agree with that, Blow Up might be an iconic film of its time but always seemed to me to be much ado about nothing in particular, and pretty dull too, Blow Out is far more rewatchable for a start.

Is Blow Out suposed to be a remake of Blow Up? If not then what's the link?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 28806
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 7:41:20 PM   
will1000

Prometheus is not a bad film, it's just disappointing. I don't know which is worse.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28807
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 9:35:15 PM   
Whistler

I like Prometheus a lot.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28808
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/4/2014 9:35:56 PM   
Chris Boomen

Drive is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. I hated everything in that movie from the opening seconds until the end.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28809
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 10:29:06 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

Drive is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. I hated everything in that movie from the opening seconds until the end.

WOW!
Worst ever? Hated everything?
WOW!

Can I ask what the best movie you've ever seen is, just as way of comparison?

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 28810
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 10:46:46 AM   
Chris Boomen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

quote:

WOW!
Worst ever? Hated everything?
WOW!

Can I ask what the best movie you've ever seen is, just as way of comparison?

Yeah. It may be a bit of an overstatement, because I have seen it so recently and most Adam Sandler movies are way worse, but I couldn't remember hating a movie so much in a long, long time. Probably not the worst movie ever, but my worst viewing experience.

As of now I'd say my favorite movies are:
(500) Days of Summer, Frozen/The Lion King, and The Dark Knight. All in their respective genres.

It was just that the Gosling character was so incredibly boring. He barely said anything, and when he started saying stuff it was so generic. Then about halfway through the movie he turned into a maniac and only started to say really messed up shit. His relationship with the woman was so boring as well, there was nothing that made me believe they liked (or in the end, loved) each other. Heck, that goes for about every character in the movie except Cranston, but I blame that to Cranston being just a terrific actor. The film was at times so noisy and so quiet at other times but I rarely found it to be about halfway on either of them. It also felt like they could have shortened the movie with about an hour, seeing as how slow paced the movie was overall, even normal driving scenes had to take minutes. Then there was also the blood and gore which did not fit with the rest of the movie. At all. The directing felt so sophisticated throughout the movie and then suddenly, everywhere Gosling went there was blood and gore.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 28811
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 10:58:41 AM   
Whistler

Probably don't try Only God Forgives then, if you haven't already.

Post #: 28812
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 12:28:35 PM   
FoximusPrime

I absolutely love Drive but I think it's down to the atmosphere of the film, rather than the story or characters (Cranston and Brooks aside).

And that OST.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28813
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 12:55:59 PM   
rich

Drive was a very average crime thriller but was well made. The Driver was a non entity for a reason though, and the violence was done appropriately for the character.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 28814
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 1:15:05 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Drive was a very average crime thriller but was well made.

Agree - I found it stylish but hollow. The only emotive factor for me was the soundtrack.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 28815
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 1:16:01 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The Amazing Spiderman 2 is awesome! Great sequel.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 28816
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 1:17:20 PM   
Whistler

quote:

Agreed. I really enjoyed it.

Also love Drive.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28817
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 1:21:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Agreed. I really enjoyed it.

Also love Drive.

You know what, coincidentally i rewatched Drive at the weekend, first time in a few years and enjoyed it more than any time before.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28818
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 3:28:29 PM   
Chronicle

I love Drive. It's definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's just 100 minutes of awesomeness.

I like Nicolas Winding Refn other more experimental films (not all of them that much) but I really hope he makes another movie like Drive in his career. Same style and more straightforward than his other films, another story obviously.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28819
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/4/2014 4:35:01 PM   
mattjtemp

I was sniffy about Drive having enjoyed The Driver and being a snob, but I absolutely loved it, mainly because it was so simple and stylish and well made.

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 28820
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/4/2014 3:28:47 PM   
Drew_231

I still think Valhalla Rising is Nicolas Windings Refns best work

(in reply to mattjtemp)
Post #: 28821
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/4/2014 8:10:08 PM   
Cool Breeze

Amazing Spider Man 2 was far from amazing.

Too long.Pretty boring in places.Too many villains/storylines, and yet another crap performance from Jamie Foxx.

Slight improvement on the first though.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 28822
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/5/2014 11:44:47 AM   
mattjtemp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

I still think Valhalla Rising is Nicolas Windings Refns best work

I will check that out then, saw the poster on the Tube but never got round to watching

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 28823
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/5/2014 9:00:51 PM   
Vitamin F

***** SPOILS *****

quote:

It was just that the Gosling character was so incredibly boring. He barely said anything, and when he started saying stuff it was so generic. Then about halfway through the movie he turned into a maniac and only started to say really messed up shit. His relationship with the woman was so boring as well, there was nothing that made me believe they liked (or in the end, loved) each other. Heck, that goes for about every character in the movie except Cranston, but I blame that to Cranston being just a terrific actor. The film was at times so noisy and so quiet at other times but I rarely found it to be about halfway on either of them. It also felt like they could have shortened the movie with about an hour, seeing as how slow paced the movie was overall, even normal driving scenes had to take minutes. Then there was also the blood and gore which did not fit with the rest of the movie. At all. The directing felt so sophisticated throughout the movie and then suddenly, everywhere Gosling went there was blood and gore.

Fair enough points, and bizarrely most of the things you didn't like I actually enjoyed as a change to the normal pacing & noise of modern crime thrillers. Yeh, it's all just personal taste.

One argument I can't buy is the lack of emotion. The pre-heist scene, from Gosling and wife's talk in the diner about Standard's injuries (love the way it's menacing in style but couldn't be a more amiable meeting between 2 people!) to the dinner table with flashback scene, This one is bursting with emotion and emotional tension...between father & son, husband & wife, wife & driver, there's now even admiration between husband and 'new best friend'. How's that cold/unemotive/hollow? <delete as applicable>

I agree it's nothing more than a thin crime story, but the reason it's such a winner for me is that the simple has been turned into a compelling watch through direction that I like to think makes some of the old school directors go "I wish I'd that in MY repertoire!"

Post #: 28824
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/5/2014 12:55:53 PM   
Chris Boomen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

***** SPOILS *****

quote:

Fair enough points, and bizarrely most of the things you didn't like I actually enjoyed as a change to the normal pacing & noise of modern crime thrillers. Yeh, it's all just personal taste.

One argument I can't buy is the lack of emotion. The pre-heist scene, from Gosling and wife's talk in the diner about Standard's injuries (love the way it's menacing in style but couldn't be a more amiable meeting between 2 people!) to the dinner table with flashback scene, This one is bursting with emotion and emotional tension...between father & son, husband & wife, wife & driver, there's now even admiration between husband and 'new best friend'. How's that cold/unemotive/hollow? <delete as applicable>

I agree it's nothing more than a thin crime story, but the reason it's such a winner for me is that the simple has been turned into a compelling watch through direction that I like to think makes some of the old school directors go "I wish I'd that in MY repertoire!"

I didn't really say the movie had no emotion. The problem was that it felt unemotive because there was zero chemistry, between anyone in the movie. Cranston was the exception, though, his side of the relations in the movies felt true. Al other relations between every character were really unbelievable. Mostly Gosling and the girl. After sitting in a car, silently, staring outside and smiling, we were supposed to believe they had a great day. Their 'date' felt so unbelievably awkward. I understand that they wanted to make Gosling the silent type guy, but it wouldn't hurt him to say something once in a while. Saying stuff, other than doing stuff, adds to a characters personality greatly. But it wasn't only Gosling who had a problem speaking, every character had a problem talking. They all had their share of the awkwardness. They had nothing to talk about, because (in the first half of the movie) nothing really happened. There was no story. The movie may take 90 minutes of your life, but it is so slow-paced that barely anything really happens. That is no problem. Most action flicks fill their runtime with shooting and chase sequences. Drive didn't. Drive filled its runtime with slowly driving around and looking outside of the window.

~Brad Bird

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 28825
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/5/2014 8:08:03 PM   
Mister Coe

SPOILERS!!!!!

OK, DRIVE... I understand what everyone is saying about it, but for my money, the key to understanding the movie is in the theme song by the band College, I think it's called 'Real Human Being' or something...

(I'll get back to that...)

The Driver is emotionless for much of the movie. We don't know why, we presume there's something awful there. But you can't deny that he looks at Carey Mulligans character with something like sad longing and also connects with the little boy. But when the little boys father comes back, he willingly puts whatever he's feeling aside to help him. It doesn't end well.

So once the Dad is out of the way, he continues to help... but once they get in the lift and he sees the gun in the guys pocket, he knows he's going to have to do something bad and that's when he kisses her for the first and (probably) last time...

And the rest of the bad stuff happens, plenty bloody, you know the rest... and he may, or not, be dead at the end. He might get over his stomach-stabbing (personally, I doubt it) or it might be a fantasy sequence thing. Whatever.

And that's when the 'Real Human Being' song' makes sense. An emotionally-burned out man had the chance to be a, yes, 'real human being' with a woman and a child. He didn't, thanks to the machinations of the criminal world, and now he drives off to whatever.

Anyway, that's my silly little opinion about DRIVE, I'm sure it's been said before by finer minds than mine, I was just sayin'...

Say what now?

Post #: 28826
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/5/2014 8:28:38 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

This representation of Spider-Man is far closer to the comic character (makes jokes etc. when he is Spider-Man) and personally I think that Garfield presents the character very well, far better than Maguire did.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 28827
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/5/2014 12:56:52 PM   
Coyleone

Drive is brilliant, one of my favourite films since the turn of the decade.

Talking of favourites since the new decade started, Calvary from this year is absolutely up there, as is Her.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28828
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/5/2014 1:02:42 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

This representation of Spider-Man is far closer to the comic character (makes jokes etc. when he is Spider-Man) and personally I think that Garfield presents the character very well, far better than Maguire did.

I'm with these other guys, Garfield's Peter Parker just comes off as a prick - Spidey quips or not. In no hurry to see the sequel.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28829
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/5/2014 1:03:55 PM   
Whistler

I'm with the Garfield is a great Spidey crew.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 28830
Page:   <<   < prev  959 960 [961] 962 963   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  959 960 [961] 962 963   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI