Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  958 959 [960] 961 962   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/4/2014 8:49:09 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Saw Maniac remake. Not sure if this is unpopular or not but i thought it was very well done. Certainly was different enough from the original to have an identity of its own.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28771
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/4/2014 10:16:20 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Said this before but DC way outclass Marvel movies and tv shows in terms of quality.

The Dark Knight trilogy was hugely successful and are often cited as amongst the greatest comic book based films ever made.

Man Of Steel was another huge success and terrific reboot of the Superman saga.

Arrow is one of the best shows on tv and really shows up how rubbish Marvels Agents Of SHITE is.

The DC universe animated movies are also of a much higher quality than Marvels.

It could be argued that when DC get it right they do it better than Marvel, but they tend to get it wrong a lot too and they don't really seem to have a plan beyond a half-hearted apeing of Marvels blueprint. Man Of Steel might have been successful, but it took less money than each of the Iron Man films, and each of Raimi's Spiderman movies. Given that Superman is (arguably) second only to Batman in terms of DC's crown jewels, MoS's box office perhaps isn't really as encouraging as it first appears. And while I agree Arrow is good fun, Wonder Woman was an unmitigated disaster. Constantine made barely a ripple. Green Lantern and Catwoman were turds on a level that even Marvel at their worst (IM2) have yet to plumb. That's some of their most high-profile characters that have failed on the small and big screens for one reason or another, which given after them it's a real drop-off (only really Flash and Aquaman before you get to truly niche characters) it makes Marvel's success at turning previously "second-tier" characters such as Iron Man and Thor into household names all the more remarkable.

Anal retentiveness apologies in advance and only because I have a soft spot for it ... Constantine was pretty much a commercial success, albeit not on the level of the big boys, but considering it was the least known and least accessible of the entire canon makes it quite an achievement.

Sorry

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28772
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/4/2014 10:18:37 AM   
Whistler

quote:

Saw Maniac remake. Not sure if this is unpopular or not but i thought it was very well done. Certainly was different enough from the original to have an identity of its own.

Haven't seen the original, DK, but I couldn't get through the remake. The idea initially intrigued me, but after twenty-five minutes of exposition-less/characterless graphic stabby, slashy murder I got bored and couldn't see where it was possibly going to go from there.

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 28773
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/4/2014 10:53:32 AM   
Chris Boomen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Said this before but DC way outclass Marvel movies and tv shows in terms of quality.

The Dark Knight trilogy was hugely successful and are often cited as amongst the greatest comic book based films ever made.

Man Of Steel was another huge success and terrific reboot of the Superman saga.

Arrow is one of the best shows on tv and really shows up how rubbish Marvels Agents Of SHITE is.

The DC universe animated movies are also of a much higher quality than Marvels.

It could be argued that when DC get it right they do it better than Marvel, but they tend to get it wrong a lot too and they don't really seem to have a plan beyond a half-hearted apeing of Marvels blueprint. Man Of Steel might have been successful, but it took less money than each of the Iron Man films, and each of Raimi's Spiderman movies. Given that Superman is (arguably) second only to Batman in terms of DC's crown jewels, MoS's box office perhaps isn't really as encouraging as it first appears. And while I agree Arrow is good fun, Wonder Woman was an unmitigated disaster. Constantine made barely a ripple. Green Lantern and Catwoman were turds on a level that even Marvel at their worst (IM2) have yet to plumb. That's some of their most high-profile characters that have failed on the small and big screens for one reason or another, which given after them it's a real drop-off (only really Flash and Aquaman before you get to truly niche characters) it makes Marvel's success at turning previously "second-tier" characters such as Iron Man and Thor into household names all the more remarkable.

They are doing everything but recreating Marvels thing. Like a lot of people have said already; WB doesn't have the need for a DC movie every year, or two times a year. DC doesn't have its own studio, like Marvel. Disney does not put its finger in Marvels work much, because they trust the plan. WB is the studio that creates the DC movies, WB has a lot of franchises and projects that they need to work on so it's not like they can churn out two super hero movies as well.

Your box office speak barely makes sense. Superman is ahead of Iron Man 1 and 2, on the worldwide box office. Domestically it falls behind, but trust me, starting with big overseas numbers is a better sign that starting big domestically. Overseas box office is interested in sequels, whether the first one sucked or not.

I'm not trying to hate no Marvel here, as I love their movies, but I'm just trying to show that DC, as a matter of fact, is not screwing it up. Catwoman easily stands against Daredevil, for example.

And finally:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I like Marvel and DC stuff in their own ways. There's room for both.

This.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28774
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/4/2014 10:55:42 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

The Forgotten is better than it's given credit for.

If that's the Julieanne Moore/Linus Roache Twilight Zone-y one then yep, a decent enough low-key thriller with a few good creepy moments and I actually cared about what was happening to the protagonists.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 28775
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/4/2014 11:30:26 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen
They are doing everything but recreating Marvels thing. Like a lot of people have said already; WB doesn't have the need for a DC movie every year, or two times a year. DC doesn't have its own studio, like Marvel. Disney does not put its finger in Marvels work much, because they trust the plan. WB is the studio that creates the DC movies, WB has a lot of franchises and projects that they need to work on so it's not like they can churn out two super hero movies as well.

What are the Superman/Batman and Justice League films if not an attempt to jump on the money-spinning bandwagon? Warners won't have failed to notice the ten-figure takings of Avengers. They may not have the luxury of being able to focus almost exclusively on DC material, but it seems apparent to me that WB are trying to come up with a way of recreating the success Marvel are having.

quote:

Your box office speak barely makes sense. Superman is ahead of Iron Man 1 and 2, on the worldwide box office. Domestically it falls behind, but trust me, starting with big overseas numbers is a better sign that starting big domestically. Overseas box office is interested in sequels, whether the first one sucked or not.

It's more about what it represents I suppose. I would have thought Superman being outperformed in America by Iron Man should be considered somewhat surprising.

quote:

I'm not trying to hate no Marvel here, as I love their movies, but I'm just trying to show that DC, as a matter of fact, is not screwing it up. Catwoman easily stands against Daredevil, for example.

That seems to me to be a statement that belongs firmly in this thread As does mine when I say I don't really mind Daredevil all that much. In fact the only Marvel film I can think of that comes close in terms of sheer awfulness to Catwoman is Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance. As for DC screwing up, I don't think anyone claimed they are. The Batman trilogy was excellent and MoS was decent too. I merely made the point that they sometimes get it wrong (which is hardly unusual - even Pixar have fumbled the ball a few times) and without an overarching story to keep people invested means a few of their more prestige characters have withered on the vine. They can always revisit them of course - it worked for Batman after all, and Marvel keep ploughing on with the Hulk regardless of results.

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 28776
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 17/4/2014 11:26:42 AM   
Chris Boomen

quote:

quote:

What are the Superman/Batman and Justice League films if not an attempt to jump on the money-spinning bandwagon? Warners won't have failed to notice the ten-figure takings of Avengers. They may not have the luxury of being able to focus almost exclusively on DC material, but it seems apparent to me that WB are trying to come up with a way of recreating the success Marvel are having.

I was talking about the shared universe thing. Marvel is bringing out two movies per year, and trying to move that up to three. DC/WB is going, at least at the moment, for one big blockbuster in a few years. For example, Fox is bringing out one comic book movie per year, and they have yet to cross the 500m WW mark. DC/WB doesn't take that for an answer, and prevents themselves from franchise-fatigue. Something the studio is quite strong in anyway. Marvel is going to suffer from that fatigue in a year, if Disney will not hold them back. 3 movies per year is too much.
quote:

quote:

It's more about what it represents I suppose. I would have thought Superman being outperformed in America by Iron Man should be considered somewhat surprising.

Good point. I think this has also to do with the climate and time-period in which those movies were released. Although, I generally think it's a marketing and quality issue. Man of Steel opened higher than IM1, but that movie was received much better (quality issue). IM2, came off a much-liked first movie, so it opened higher, but ended relatively as high as MoS (marketing issue).
quote:

quote:

That seems to me to be a statement that belongs firmly in this thread As does mine when I say I don't really mind Daredevil all that much. In fact the only Marvel film I can think of that comes close in terms of sheer awfulness to Catwoman is Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance. As for DC screwing up, I don't think anyone claimed they are. The Batman trilogy was excellent and MoS was decent too. I merely made the point that they sometimes get it wrong (which is hardly unusual - even Pixar have fumbled the ball a few times) and without an overarching story to keep people invested means a few of their more prestige characters have withered on the vine. They can always revisit them of course - it worked for Batman after all, and Marvel keep ploughing on with the Hulk regardless of results.

While the hatred towards DC isn't a (big) thing here, it is quite big on other boards. DC apparently doesn't know what they are doing, is something that gets thrown out a lot. I hate that statement, haha. Revisiting isn't always a solution though, look at spiderman. While it's financially still 'succesfull', it's the worlds biggest example of franchise-fatigue, and how that doesn't seem to be a thing in overseas markets.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28777
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 17/4/2014 11:28:18 AM   
Chris Boomen

Also, I thought Chinatown was so boring that I had to turn it off.

~Brad Bird

Post #: 28778
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 17/4/2014 1:11:29 PM   
will1000

The latest X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer makes it seem like a heist film. All it needs is some Oceans 11 editing and a David Holmes soundtrack and it's there! It really does a dis-service and changes the tone of the film. It's a complete contrast to the dark, moody original trailer which was one of the best in recent memory. I'll still watch the film though!

Post #: 28779
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 17/4/2014 2:38:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

Her is Spike Jonze's weakest film to date. The characters are really annoying, and the atmosphere of the film just left me cold, also it was a bit overlong.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28780
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/4/2014 2:20:18 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Also, I thought Chinatown was so boring that I had to turn it off.

I come close to agreeing with you. I don't understand the praise, it's just dull, and one of Polanski's weakest.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 28781
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/4/2014 2:21:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Her is Spike Jonze's weakest film to date. The characters are really annoying, and the atmosphere of the film just left me cold, also it was a bit overlong.

And I partly agree with this too. Great acting and look, and strong premise, but it didn't do enough with it, the second half virtually petered out, and as you say it was cold, so cold that I didn't care that much.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28782
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/4/2014 8:38:59 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

The A-Team (2010) is great fun. Great action, perfect casting and well made.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 28783
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/4/2014 10:19:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Plus, how often do you get to see someone fly a tank!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28784
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/4/2014 12:59:51 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Exactly this! It nails the ridiculous aspect of the show perfectly.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 28785
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/4/2014 7:30:43 PM   
will1000

quote:

quote:

quote:

I found it a bit boring to be honest. It didn't hold my attention. What it needed was more Boy George

Post #: 28786
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/4/2014 8:12:47 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would love a sequel!! The chemistry between the leads was fantastic, Copley being a particular stand out.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 28787
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/4/2014 2:33:22 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would love a sequel!! The chemistry between the leads was fantastic, Copley being a particular stand out.

Same here: it was one of the more out-and-out enjoyable blockbusters in a long time and it's a shame we won't get a sequel. I was looking forward to seeing them hunted by John Hamm too.

Another film I'd like to see get a sequel: Get Smart (2008). I liked the cast, the film was funny, as was the action, and it was faithful enough to the TV show while being its own thing. Alan Arkin stole the show, as is often the case and, because of this film, I had no doubts about Anne Hathaway playing Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28788
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/4/2014 2:35:45 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

The latest X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer makes it seem like a heist film. All it needs is some Oceans 11 editing and a David Holmes soundtrack and it's there! It really does a dis-service and changes the tone of the film. It's a complete contrast to the dark, moody original trailer which was one of the best in recent memory. I'll still watch the film though!

I'd love it if it actually turns out to be a heist film: all the time travel stuff is just to bookend an elaborate prison break. Imagine the outcry!

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28789
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/4/2014 5:25:45 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly this! It nails the ridiculous aspect of the show perfectly

Exactly the same reason I loved the Charlie's Angels films. They weren't supposed to be taken seriously even in the slightest.
I would welcome sequels to either of them.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 28790
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/4/2014 6:37:31 PM   
sanchia

The A Team was a rare thing, a film better than its trailer. The trailer made it look like it would be absolutely awful but the film was just massively entertaining.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28791
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/4/2014 6:40:46 PM   
Whistler

quote:

The A Team was a rare thing, a film better than its trailer. The trailer made it look like it would be absolutely awful but the film was just massively entertaining.

The award for that must go to End Of Watch. Trailer made it look macho, shoot-em-up awful, but it turned out to be a brilliantly observed character drama.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28792
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/4/2014 8:02:56 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same here: it was one of the more out-and-out enjoyable blockbusters in a long time and it's a shame we won't get a sequel. I was looking forward to seeing them hunted by John Hamm too.

Another film I'd like to see get a sequel: Get Smart (2008). I liked the cast, the film was funny, as was the action, and it was faithful enough to the TV show while being its own thing. Alan Arkin stole the show, as is often the case and, because of this film, I had no doubts about Anne Hathaway playing Selina Kyle in The Dark Knight Rises.

A sequel to both would be welcomed by me.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 24/4/2014 8:04:06 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 28793
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/4/2014 11:23:30 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly the same reason I loved the Charlie's Angels films. They weren't supposed to be taken seriously even in the slightest.

The problem with Charlie's Angels was that the film was being way too smug about the whole "we're being ironic" thing, the gag about showing random shots of the female's arses was over done. Also MCG strikes me as a creepy director so I don't buy that it was 'just fun'.

Didn't see the A Team film, but if I remember it was a bit of a flop so not sure there will be a sequel.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28794
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/4/2014 1:13:19 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The problem with Charlie's Angels was that the film was being way too smug about the whole "we're being ironic" thing, the gag about showing random shots of the female's arses was over done. Also MCG strikes me as a creepy director so I don't buy that it was 'just fun'.

Didn't see the A Team film, but if I remember it was a bit of a flop so not sure there will be a sequel.

I get the impression it wasn't an enjoyable experience for Joe Carnahan - he tweeted something to that effect a few months ago. Not that it would require his return of course, but it seems there are probably multiple reasons why a sequel will never happen.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28795
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/4/2014 1:32:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Shame really as i think a lot of its success is due to him. Although it would be easy enough to find a game director for a sequel, but yeah, it's not happening.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 28796
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/4/2014 10:16:34 PM   
Whistler

The Ring remake is scarier than the original (or at least as scary)

Post #: 28797
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/4/2014 7:42:31 PM   
will1000

Crazy Eddie from Friends is one of the best characters committed to screen (both small and big)...ever.

Post #: 28798
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 26/4/2014 8:39:57 AM   
Dr Lenera

Andrew Garfield is a terrible Spiderman/Peter Parker.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28799
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 26/4/2014 8:41:31 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really enjoyed The A Team. Charlie's Angels not so much, first one was reasonable, second one was horrid!!!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28800
Page:   <<   < prev  958 959 [960] 961 962   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  958 959 [960] 961 962   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI