Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  949 950 [951] 952 953   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 8:20:45 PM   
MonsterCat

Shit, I was hoping for a full-on strop. : (

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 28501
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 8:21:59 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Every SW fan likes the prequels.

No

quote:

The original theatrical versions of the original trilogy should never ever be released again on any home entertainment format.

NO.

quote:

Revenge Of The Sith is superior to A New Hope and Return Of The Jedi.

NO!

I want to taste you like yogurt.

Post #: 28502
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 8:31:13 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

No

quote:

The original theatrical versions of the original trilogy should never ever be released again on any home entertainment format.

NO.

quote:

NO!

I was once very much a Star Wars fan until the prequels which actually ruined the whole thing for me (I collected the toys when young, saw the films on their original release and every time they were shown even attended a couple of conventions in my teens). Also Revenge of the Sith ruined Darth Vader overall with one moment "Nooooooooo!". The fact that the people think that altered films with somehow inferior special effects which have dated a lot more than the model based effects from the original versions are somehow superior to the films without which there would be no series is strange to me.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 11/2/2014 8:34:11 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 28503
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 8:42:18 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Can't argue with the second and third cause they're a matter of opinion but the first one is factually incorrect.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 28504
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 8:59:26 PM   
rich

quote:

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 28505
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 10:09:42 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Can't argue with the second and third cause they're a matter of opinion but the first one is factually incorrect.

Either that or I'm not a Star Wars fan.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 28506
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 9:20:21 AM   
Judge

Cringey rave and architect scenes aside, I like The Matrix Reloaded. Quite a lot actually. Revolutions is still shite though.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28507
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 9:37:42 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

Cape Fear is one of Scorsese's best films.

Bloody love that film! Certainly a lot better than SHUTTER ISLAND, which bored me to tears...

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not as good as his untouchable three (we all know what those are), but I would rate it higher than most would). And yes, I prefer it to Shutter Island as well (though I actually quite like that film), not to mention Wolf Of Wall Street (now there's the really unpopular part).

Minority Report is better than Children Of Men.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28508
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 9:45:01 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

Cringey rave and architect scenes aside, I like The Matrix Reloaded. Quite a lot actually. Revolutions is still shite though.

I really enjoyed Reloaded when I saw it in the cinema, it finished on a cliffhanger that could have led somewhere interesting and really got me excited about the final installment. There was so much discussion about Reloaded on here at the time that they had to open up a sub forum to contain it. Unfortunately being the lead in into Revolutions, and Revolutions being what it was, pretty much makes it unwatchable for me now. I still love the first film, I can pretend that the sequels don't exist when I'm watching it and all is good but Reloaded is intrinsically linked to Revolutions. It's the same with the original Star Wars trilogy. I can easily pretend that the sequels don't exist and enjoy the original films regardless right up untill I have to look at Christensen's stupid grinning mug at the end of ROTJ.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 12/2/2014 9:52:22 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28509
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 1:55:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Lost in Space (1998) is a really entertaining movie and great blockbuster fun. The performances are good, the action is exciting and for a big studio sci fi movie the story is great. Shame we never got a sequel.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28510
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 2:10:25 PM   
Whistler

I always remember Lost In Space as being that movie with Joey Tribbiani.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28511
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 2:17:10 PM   
Deviation

I remember watching Lost in Space when I was eight or something, even back then I didn't like it. I liked everything back then.

The spider bit was kinda awesome though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28512
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 6:48:03 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I also liked Reloaded at the time but looking back the fights went on far too long, the Neo and Trinity relationship never convinced and the Wachowskis were trying too hard to be clever. After the first I got the impression that Neo was almost God like within the Matrix able to change things within the Matrix at will, sadly this was never followed through, I still enjoyed it, the ending left me pondering it all for days and you got the feeling that shit was really going to hit the fan in the 3rd but we all know how that turned out.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 28513
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 7:06:31 PM   
Scott_

quote:

Prefer Children of Men myself, Minority Report is great but the last 20 minutes or so are very forgettable, I can never remember how it ends. Although to be fair that may be my shite memory more than the film.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28514
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 7:40:50 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I really enjoyed Reloaded when I saw it in the cinema, it finished on a cliffhanger that could have led somewhere interesting and really got me excited about the final installment. There was so much discussion about Reloaded on here at the time that they had to open up a sub forum to contain it. Unfortunately being the lead in into Revolutions, and Revolutions being what it was, pretty much makes it unwatchable for me now. I still love the first film, I can pretend that the sequels don't exist when I'm watching it and all is good but Reloaded is intrinsically linked to Revolutions. It's the same with the original Star Wars trilogy. I can easily pretend that the sequels don't exist and enjoy the original films regardless right up untill I have to look at Christensen's stupid grinning mug at the end of ROTJ.

I think Reloaded is the best film in the trilogy.

Revolutions is my least favourite but still a damn fine sci fi action film in its own right.

I always liked the original Matrix but at the time thought it was slightly overrated.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28515
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/2/2014 10:41:28 PM   
Coyleone

Not Another Teen Movie is actually a really good comedy and very funny

Post #: 28516
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/2/2014 9:23:10 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

Prefer Children of Men myself, Minority Report is great but the last 20 minutes or so are very forgettable, I can never remember how it ends. Although to be fair that may be my shite memory more than the film.

****SPOILERS****

Now, I'm not saying this excuses your gripe completely, but there is a theory that those last 20 mins are all in Anderton's (haloed) head, and that in reality he is stewing away in that creepy-as-hell coma-prison, as Tim Blake Nelson's character describes it as being "kind of a rush! They say you have visions...that your life flashes before your eyes...that all your dreams come true."

Just food for thought.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 28517
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/2/2014 10:16:10 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I think Reloaded is the best film in the trilogy.

Revolutions is my least favourite but still a damn fine sci fi action film in its own right.

I always liked the original Matrix but at the time thought it was slightly overrated.

THIS!

I enjoyed the first Matrix but it didn't wow me, wasn't too keen on most of the action coming in the last 20 mins for a start, nor did it seem as original as some said, but I did like it and grew to love it over time. But Reloaded totally WOWED me at the cinema, so much more thrills and spectacle and amazing concepts. Really left me thinking hard for days. Revolutions didn't really follow on too well, but it's a lot of fun. GREAT trilogy anyway.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 28518
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/2/2014 11:09:25 AM   
hozay

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Lost in Space (1998) is a really entertaining movie and great blockbuster fun. The performances are good, the action is exciting and for a big studio sci fi movie the story is great. Shame we never got a sequel.

Lost in Space was a favourite TV show of mine as a kid so I had high hopes for the movie, great cast, great fx etc but the youngest daughter was such a blight on the film it ruined the whole thing for me. Her little alien friend didn't help either.

I also found Minority Report to be mostly forgettable while most scenes from the more original and grittier Children Of Men have stayed with me,

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28519
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/2/2014 11:26:13 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Minority Report is one of those films I've been thinking of going back to because on the first initial viewing it really didn't do anything for me.
Children Of Men is a solid film,though its the design of the world that brings my greater interest.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 28520
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/2/2014 8:03:20 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Not Another Teen Movie is actually a really good comedy and very funny

I also thought that NATM was quite amusing...

Say what now?

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 28521
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/2/2014 6:26:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

This is probably the most on-topic post in this thread.

Post #: 28522
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/2/2014 6:39:48 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Now, I'm not saying this excuses your gripe completely, but there is a theory that those last 20 mins are all in Anderton's (haloed) head, and that in reality he is stewing away in that creepy-as-hell coma-prison, as Tim Blake Nelson's character describes it as being "kind of a rush! They say you have visions...that your life flashes before your eyes...that all your dreams come true."

Just food for thought.

People often cite this theory, but for me it's undercut by Anderton's victim mentioning that he's been paid off by the film's eventual villain and opening up the mystery to be resolved in the remaining reel.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28523
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/2/2014 7:22:37 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

Just food for thought.

People often cite this theory, but for me it's undercut by Anderton's victim mentioning that he's been paid off by the film's eventual villain and opening up the mystery to be resolved in the remaining reel.

Actually, I'd say that makes it stronger. When Anderton is arrested - almost the exact moment when he is haloed and told that he's charged for Danny Witwer's murder - I'd say that's the moment where he realises the truth of it all. I mean, when he's put away in one those vertical sleeping chambers, it immediately cuts to Lamar saying "This is all my fault." To me, that whole last stretch is part wish-fulfilment for Anderton and him putting together the whole mystery in his haloed state of mind.

Plus it taps into the film-noir/Chinatown vibe that the baddie gets away with it.

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 16/2/2014 12:53:42 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 28524
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/2/2014 10:03:42 AM   
Judge

I love As Good as it Gets.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28525
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/2/2014 1:11:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Me too, it gets a bad rap. Most of it is down to Nicholson playing against what people expected at that point (imo), but just as when Dir Niro first did it in Aylisis This/Meet the Parents it was a funny a twist and a fun way to play with his image, but then he over did it with the comedies and totally started sleep walking through roles.

Anyway for me AGAIG has heart, and Helen Hunt is great in it.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28526
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/2/2014 7:14:17 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Me too, it gets a bad rap. Most of it is down to Nicholson playing against what people expected at that point (imo), but just as when Dir Niro first did it in Aylisis This/Meet the Parents it was a funny a twist and a fun way to play with his image, but then he over did it with the comedies and totally started sleep walking through roles.

Really? I also really liked it and have never heard any negative views on it. Comparing it to Meet the Parents is ridiculous in eyes as unlike Di Niro's "attempts" at "comedy" they were just that, comedy. There was no heart (as you said).

Speaking of Di Niro, when are we going to admit he's actually not the great actor people say he is. Peopl may put it down to choice of films etc but in all the shit he's done he's been mediocre at best. When you compare him to someone like Seymour Hoffman was brilliant in everything I've seen him.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28527
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/2/2014 7:23:56 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, LOOPER got a lot of love and great reviews but I gave it a go this afternoon and gave up within an hour. Not one character I could warm to, the science of it was about as convincing at that in ABOUT TIME and, quite frankly, if I never see Bruce Willis in a movie again, it'll be far too soon...

Perhaps I was in the wrong mood, might give it another go one day but for now... nah, not having it.

Say what now?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28528
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/2/2014 7:46:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

Really? I also really liked it and have never heard any negative views on it. Comparing it to Meet the Parents is ridiculous in eyes as unlike Di Niro's "attempts" at "comedy" they were just that, comedy. There was no heart (as you said).

Speaking of Di Niro, when are we going to admit he's actually not the great actor people say he is. Peopl may put it down to choice of films etc but in all the shit he's done he's been mediocre at best. When you compare him to someone like Seymour Hoffman was brilliant in everything I've seen him.

Wasn't comparing them as films, just that in both you have the novelity of two actors more noted for their dramatic roles playing comedy or maybe romantic comedy in Nicholson's case. Also the respective films are having a bit of fun sending up their images, for example the reason Di Niro is funny in MTP is because he play's it straight, which within the context of the film makes it funny. Are you saying AGAIG doesn't have heart or MTP?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28529
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/2/2014 8:19:03 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

Wasn't comparing them as films, just that in both you have the novelity of two actors more noted for their dramatic roles playing comedy or maybe romantic comedy in Nicholson's case. Also the respective films are having a bit of fun sending up their images, for example the reason Di Niro is funny in MTP is because he play's it straight, which within the context of the film makes it funny. Are you saying AGAIG doesn't have heart or MTP?

Ah right, yeh that's a fair enough comparison in that regard. Maybe I'm underestimating him but I feel that Di Niro is just phoning it in for MTP, and pretty much every other "comedy" he's done. Maybe it's just the character he plays but I just don't see "great actor" whenever I watch him. That said I haven't seen his oscar nominated performance in SLP yet

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28530
Page:   <<   < prev  949 950 [951] 952 953   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  949 950 [951] 952 953   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI