Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  948 949 [950] 951 952   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 7/2/2014 10:01:52 PM   
UTB

But what a cock!

(in reply to RobsRants)
Post #: 28471
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 1:01:37 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Olympus Has Fallen is a terrific old school hard edged action film.It was a rare pleasure to watch a new action movie with hard core violence and fucking swearing! It was ridiculous of course but a lot of the best action movies are.

Couldnt beleive it got a 15 rating especially after that woman gets horribly beaten up.What was great about that scene is that you REALLY want to see Gerard Butler kick their arses after that.

Agreed on the violence and swearing, but that's about it. My enjoyment of the film was mostly ruined by the annoying use of shaky-cam. Now, just so you know, this technique doesn't always pull me out of a film (Saving Private Ryan, The Hurt Locker, Star Trek, and every Paul Greengrass film, just to name a few exceptions). In fact, this is one of the only times where it's bugged me at all; I was sitting there thinking, "Hey, that looks like a cool action scene - now just keep the fucking camera still and let me actually SEE it!" Was very, very irritating. Whereas masters of the technique, like Greengrass, use it to convey the urgency of the action whilst still making it clear (to me at least) what is actually happening in the scene.

(True, though, the scene where Melissa Leo gets beaten to hell was impressively brutal)

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 12/2/2014 9:12:19 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 28472
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 1:27:37 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

Yeah I'm guessing I just shared one hell of an unpopular opinion by saying that

Not really. I felt exactly the same way. Will definitely watch it again sometime though, and I really hope I grow to love it.

I see the Master as kinda like Paul Thomas Anderson's INLAND EMPIRE, where for certain people (even who have admired his work in the past) were just left a bit cold by it, at least on first viewing, but also it might just be one for hardcore PTA fans. I think a big part of the mixed reaction was because of the length and lack of story. Then again like Lynch, Anderson has always transended classic narrative conventions
in favour of music, atmosphere, visual style and great performances. On first viewing I had mixed feelings on the Master, but having watched it a couple more times consider it another classic! Sorry for the long winded reply just wanted to make my position clear.

Didn't think much to Cars, so won't bother with Cars 2, or Planes for that matter

The thing is, with the exception of Hard Eight, I've seen and loved all of his other films. Boogie Nights and Magnolia blew me away (on first viewing as well), and although I don't do movie lists anymore, if I was to write up my all-time favourites, There Will Be Blood would probably be at #3. When I heard about these mixed reactions to The Master, I just thought "Well, that was the case with Punch Drunk Love, and I bloody loved that film!" So I wasn't swayed at all, and I had total faith in ol' Paul (no rhyme intended, I swear). That was what made the experience of finally watching it such a letdown. I will say, though, that Phoenix's performance was utterly brilliant, and he should have won the Oscar (as much as I love Lincoln).

Anyway, whilst I technically can't call myself a hardcore PTA fan (due to not having seen Hard Eight), I'm definitely more than a mere admirer of his work. That's why my disappointment with The Master felt so strange. Again, I really hope I grow to love it (as you have), but I do want to leave it a while before my next viewing.

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 8/2/2014 1:34:50 AM >

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28473
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 1:54:18 AM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

I actually quite like Cars.

Same here. It gets a bum rap because its cars, and animated vehicles aren't anything new, progressive or interesting .

But... the story, characters and humour are all terrific, I think, and I much prefer it to Up, Wall-E and The Incredibles. Ratatouille I think is my fave Pixar.

I definitely wouldn't go as far as putting it above the films you've mentioned (I might just prefer it to Monsters Inc, but that would be an unfair call at this point as I haven't seen Inc in about 10 years). However, it's cool to see it getting some love.

I'd say Cars is to Pixar what The Terminal is to Spielberg; both films get a lot of crap for reasons I just can't fathom. Sure, they have their flaws, and Cars isn't one of Pixar's masterpieces just as The Terminal isn't one of the 'Berg's. But they are both really well-made, funny and heartfelt films that I enjoy the hell out of every time I watch them.

Worthy call on Ratatouille, by the way. Fantastic film.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28474
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 8:29:32 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Cars is good fun. Cars 2 is terribly dull.

I like them both though prefer Cars 2!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28475
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 8:30:28 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobsRants

requiem for a dream, sucks
black swan, worst movie ever.
fight club, stupid.
pulp fiction, a waist of time, you get nothing out of this movie, its Quentin Tarantino flashing his cock to the views and getting away with it.

Even by my standards, those opinions are strange!!

(in reply to RobsRants)
Post #: 28476
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 11:20:12 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same here. It gets a bum rap because its cars, and animated vehicles aren't anything new, progressive or interesting .

But... the story, characters and humour are all terrific, I think, and I much prefer it to Up, Wall-E and The Incredibles. Ratatouille I think is my fave Pixar.

I definitely wouldn't go as far as putting it above the films you've mentioned (I might just prefer it to Monsters Inc, but that would be an unfair call at this point as I haven't seen Inc in about 10 years). However, it's cool to see it getting some love.

I'd say Cars is to Pixar what The Terminal is to Spielberg; both films get a lot of crap for reasons I just can't fathom. Sure, they have their flaws, and Cars isn't one of Pixar's masterpieces just as The Terminal isn't one of the 'Berg's. But they are both really well-made, funny and heartfelt films that I enjoy the hell out of every time I watch them.

1. Finding Nemo
2. Toy Story 2
3. The first 10 minutes of Up
4. The Incredibles
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Toy Story 3
8. Wall-E
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars
11. Ratatouille
12. Brave
13. The rest of Up

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28477
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2014 1:35:04 PM   
Chris Boomen

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Finding Nemo
2. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Toy Story 3
8. Wall-E
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars
11. Ratatouille
12. Brave
13. The rest of Up

Cars just could have been so much better had they not casted Owen Wilson. The guy has such a, for lack of a better word, hate-able tone in its voice. Would never say cars is bad, though. It's incredibly fun, so is cars 2, but it just lacks comparing to about everything else Pixar has done.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28478
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2014 7:36:34 PM   
Whistler

Am I alone in not loving The Lego Movie? I liked it, don't get me wrong. It's a lot of fun with plenty of funny references throughout, and as soon as Batman shows up things get significantly more awesome... but I didn't love it. Everyone else is saying it's absolutely hilarious. Is there something I'm missing?

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 28479
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2014 8:57:40 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

1. Finding Nemo
2. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Toy Story 3
8. Wall-E
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars
11. Ratatouille
12. Brave
13. The rest of Up

For me it's

1. Toy Story 2
2. Wall-E
3. Toy Story 3
4. Monster's Inc
5. Toy Story
6. Up
7. Finding Nemo
8. Brave
9. Ratatouille
10. Cars
11. Monsters University
12. A Bug's Life
13. Cars 2
14. The Incredibles

Everything from 1 down to 12 I'd happily watch. I could do without ever seeing the bottom 2 again though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28480
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2014 8:58:49 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

1. Finding Nemo
2. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Toy Story 3
8. Wall-E
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars
11. Ratatouille
12. Brave
13. The rest of Up

For me it's

1. Toy Story 2
2. Wall-E
3. Toy Story 3
4. Monster's Inc
5. Toy Story
6. Up
7. Finding Nemo
8. Brave
9. Ratatouille
10. Cars
11. Monsters University
12. A Bug's Life
13. Cars 2
14. The Incredibles

Everything from 1 down to 12 I'd happily watch. I could do without ever seeing the bottom 2 again though.

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28481
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2014 1:18:25 AM   
Mr Gittes

Cape Fear is one of Scorsese's best films.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28482
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2014 8:28:39 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Robocop 2014 is really good!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28483
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2014 8:54:29 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

Cape Fear is one of Scorsese's best films.

Bloody love that film! Certainly a lot better than SHUTTER ISLAND, which bored me to tears...

Say what now?

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28484
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2014 9:11:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

And, amazingly, I agree with you!! Not as good as the original or maybe Robocop 2, but a solid remake which has its own identity.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28485
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2014 9:14:01 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

1. Finding Nemo
2. Toy Story 2
4. The Incredibles
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters Inc.
7. Toy Story 3
8. Wall-E
9. A Bug's Life
10. Cars
11. Ratatouille
12. Brave
13. The rest of Up

For me it's

1. Toy Story 2
2. Wall-E
3. Toy Story 3
4. Monster's Inc
5. Toy Story
6. Up
7. Finding Nemo
8. Brave
9. Ratatouille
10. Cars
11. Monsters University
12. A Bug's Life
13. Cars 2
14. The Incredibles

I didn't like Incredibles on first viewing but it's grown on me.

Unpopular Opinion: Toy Story 3 is below-par Pixar and little more than a tired rehash of the first two films [though it's still fairly good]. Cars 2 is better.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28486
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2014 9:14:04 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

And, amazingly, I agree with you!! Not as good as the original or maybe Robocop 2, but a solid remake which has its own identity.

Me too, I enjoyed it a lot. It's not better than the original, but it's definitely better than Robocop 2

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 28487
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 12:17:17 AM   
musht

quote:

Am I alone in not loving The Lego Movie? I liked it, don't get me wrong. It's a lot of fun with plenty of funny references throughout, and as soon as Batman shows up things get significantly more awesome... but I didn't love it. Everyone else is saying it's absolutely hilarious. Is there something I'm missing?

A soul ... no, my bad, that's Dr Lenera.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Toy Story 3 is below-par Pixar and little more than a tired rehash of the first two films [though it's still fairly good]. Cars 2 is better.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28488
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 12:55:55 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

A soul ...

I must reiterate: I did enjoy it. I thought it was fun and charming, but I just didn't find it THAT amazing. The problem is, because everyone else loves it so much, anything I say - positive though it is - ultimately sounds like a criticism.

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28489
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 1:06:13 AM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

A soul ...

I must reiterate: I did enjoy it. I thought it was fun and charming, but I just didn't find it THAT amazing. The problem is, because everyone else loves it so much, anything I say - positive though it is - ultimately sounds like a criticism.

Nah, I get ya. I loved it but people are allowed feel differently. If you had said it was shit it would be a completely different issue.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28490
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 9:07:45 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A soul ...

Nah, I get ya. I loved it but people are allowed feel differently. If you had said it was shit it would be a completely different issue.

But this is unpop opinion so horses for courses is a bit of a given.

Obviously spoilers

I'm pretty much with you Whistler. I thought it was more clever-clever than just clever for a lot of it, some of it a bit smug in its cleverness (the slightly lame satire eg) - all of which are also issues I have with Cloudy too. At times I wondered who the audience were supposed to be - when you start talking about things being circumscribed by the whatever it's hardly the kiddies even if you do end up with the tedious 'oh the daddy son thing' again which US animation can't seem to get away from. But again - that was quite clever. But for the most part it felt a little cold, to me. I admired it - from a distance. But I think it is made to be sold more to adults for them to think it's cool - the Empire ref and subverting superhero stuff is clearly aimed there.

The main thing the kids took from it was the trip home after one found that damn song on his phone - very very catchy. God I hate it!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28491
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 11:16:43 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A soul ...

Obviously spoilers

I'm pretty much with you Whistler. I thought it was more clever-clever than just clever for a lot of it, some of it a bit smug in its cleverness (the slightly lame satire eg) - all of which are also issues I have with Cloudy too. At times I wondered who the audience were supposed to be - when you start talking about things being circumscribed by the whatever it's hardly the kiddies even if you do end up with the tedious 'oh the daddy son thing' again which US animation can't seem to get away from. But again - that was quite clever. But for the most part it felt a little cold, to me. I admired it - from a distance. But I think it is made to be sold more to adults for them to think it's cool - the Empire ref and subverting superhero stuff is clearly aimed there.

The main thing the kids took from it was the trip home after one found that damn song on his phone - very very catchy. God I hate it!

It is pretty awesome...

Eddy's Film Review

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28492
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 1:09:51 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

A soul ...

Obviously spoilers

It is pretty awesome...

I can see your points. It was weird, there wasn't one child in the screening I was at (which was fairly full) and yet all the trailers were for kids' films, The Pirate Fairy, Rio 2, etc. I don't know what it's like in the UK but in Ireland there are very few showings after 7 which I found odd. It is definitely conflicted in that the makers, I feel, made a film for adults but obviously the marketing and studio want to aim it more at kids for merchandising purposes. Despite all that though I did love it.

But c'mon guys I think we're forgetting the real issue here. Dr Lenera said Cars 2 was better than Toy Story 3. What. The. Fuck. I get that people don't like Toy Story 3, but Cars 2 is absolute pants!!

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28493
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 2:04:41 PM   
elab49

Our showing was quite adult heavy as well. I could understand the previews at the weekend might be, but it was showing earlier in Scotland because of our half term and, like you, we had those ads (and how the hell does some DTV Tinker Bell crap get a cinema trailer? I'd disown my niece before I paid money for it )

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28494
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 2:36:09 PM   
musht

quote:

Our showing was quite adult heavy as well. I could understand the previews at the weekend might be, but it was showing earlier in Scotland because of our half term and, like you, we had those ads (and how the hell does some DTV Tinker Bell crap get a cinema trailer? I'd disown my niece before I paid money for it )

Didn't the last Tinker Bell film get a cinema release? I vaguely remember Kermode reviewing one. It's depressing that they're getting made at all.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28495
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 3:02:33 PM   
kumar

Not even sure how much of an unpopular opinion this is - noone really likes the SW prequels...

After watching a bit of star wars 3 on itv at the weekend, despite having so much wrong with them, the thing that sticks out the most for me and spoils my enjoyment of them initially is that the new films look so bad. Even if the scripting, dialogue, acting and shot selection were on point, the scenes are over complicated, the CGI looks terrible, even the shadows dont look right. Dont get me started on the clone troopers - everything looks so damn ugly.

That said, hugely looking forward to seeing what Disney and Abrams are going to come up with.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28496
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 3:30:54 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Not even sure how much of an unpopular opinion this is - noone really likes the SW prequels...

After watching a bit of star wars 3 on itv at the weekend, despite having so much wrong with them, the thing that sticks out the most for me and spoils my enjoyment of them initially is that the new films look so bad. Even if the scripting, dialogue, acting and shot selection were on point, the scenes are over complicated, the CGI looks terrible, even the shadows dont look right. Dont get me started on the clone troopers - everything looks so damn ugly.

That said, hugely looking forward to seeing what Disney and Abrams are going to come up with.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 28497
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 3:41:39 PM   
horribleives

Aye, I always thought the worst thing about those films was the terrible dialogue and acting but having watched them again recently for the first time since they were on at the pictures I can safely say the near-unwatchable special effects spectacularly trump the odd clunky line or wooden delivery. Everything's bright and shiny (or orange), it all looks weightless and apart from the actors there's nothing remotely solid-looking on screen (though in terms of performance most of those are pretty see-through too).

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/2/2014 3:43:22 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28498
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 4:26:59 PM   
kumar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

They are well shit. (thats it)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

it all looks weightless and apart from the actors there's nothing remotely solid-looking on screen (though in terms of performance most of those are pretty see-through too).

This is exactly what I had meant to say. Its so frustrating - especially so considering that a load of the action scenes involving real actors are replaced with cgi doubles anyway. It is such an ugly looking film.

< Message edited by kumar -- 11/2/2014 4:27:24 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28499
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2014 7:54:31 PM   
Cool Breeze

Every SW fan likes the prequels.

The original theatrical versions of the original trilogy should never ever be released again on any home entertainment format.

Revenge Of The Sith is superior to A New Hope and Return Of The Jedi.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 11/2/2014 7:58:36 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 28500
Page:   <<   < prev  948 949 [950] 951 952   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  948 949 [950] 951 952   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI