Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  945 946 [947] 948 949   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 4:37:10 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

There's a lovely image. I was actually referring to his performance. I found him to be very effective. He's very good in the role IMO and quite convincing. I mean obviously not as convincing as Jamie Foxx

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 28381
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 8:20:37 PM   
Mister Coe

Um, was I drinking a bit heavily the other night (thus imagining making a couple of posts) or have my comments about Olympus Has Fallen disappeared?

It's a definite possibility...

Say what now?

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28382
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 10:09:49 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Um, was I drinking a bit heavily the other night (thus imagining making a couple of posts) or have my comments about Olympus Has Fallen disappeared?

It's a definite possibility...

Amazingly, there is another thread currently preoccupied with Olympus Has Fallen too.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 6/1/2014 10:11:51 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28383
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 7/1/2014 1:17:13 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Just watched the remake of Red Dawn, and I actually thought it was pretty entertaining.

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

Post #: 28384
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 7/1/2014 9:36:58 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardcore Raver

Just watched the remake of Red Dawn, and I actually thought it was pretty entertaining.

It's a pretty decent action flick with some good scenes... the early scene with the original invasion was excellent and as for THAT death scene... I didn't see it coming!.

Personally, I loved the original because I saw it when I was young, so it will always be my favourite of the two, but I'd say that this version is well worth a watch.

Say what now?

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 28385
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/1/2014 3:56:06 PM   
Whistler

Hans Zimmer's 'An Ideal Of Hope' is better than Williams' original Superman theme.

They're both utter geniuses, but I genuinely just prefer Zimmer's theme. It's amazing. You can shoot me now.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28386
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/1/2014 11:13:20 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

No idea if this is unpopular, but not being a big fan of the Iron Man films, I hesitantly watched Iron Man 3, and thought it was fabulous.
Much better than the first 2 IMO. Action packed and hilarious to boot.
And I watched Man Of Steel the day after and thought it was utter tripe.

Ever read an Iron Man comic?

No, never. I used to read Whizzer and Chips when I was about 9.
I guess you are referring to The Mandarin. I thought it was brilliant, hilarious, just perfect, but I understand grown up fans of the comic (no laughing at the back please) are a bit upset about it.

Fair enough.

I read a lot of Iron Man comics as a kid and the representation of the character in the movies isnt very accurate ( Stark isnt nearly as quip heavy as RDJ is in the movies for one thing ) but its forgivable due to RDJ's great screen charisma.

The problem with the Mandarin twist in IM3 is not just because it reduced the character to a joke and it was silly, but its because they implied in the first two movies that the true Mandarin was out there ( The terrorist group known as the ten rings in IM1, the special features in IM2 indicate that Ivan Danko made it to Monaco to attack Stark with the ten rings organisations help ).The trailers promised us a truly scary threat in the form of The Mandarin and Kingsley was doing a pretty damn good job portraying this only for Shane black to turn him into a parody.

Instead the true villain was yet another corporate suit but who could breath fire like a fucking dragon.

But thats only one of the films problems...http://youtu.be/YNcJPxjoxF0

Personally I find the Mandarin a bit of a joke in the comic itself so had no problem with the representation here. What I didn't like about the film was the manner in which Extremis was wasted and could have been so much more than it was.

I was happy the film realized that he was from the start something of a joke created out of prejudices Americans have on other groups (Mandarin was pretty much Fu Manchu yellow peril, IM3 was all based around contemporary anti-American iconography so people ate it up) so it went fuckthischaracter. I loved that, twas clever. Doesn't make any more sense he's referred as The Mandarin though.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 9/1/2014 11:23:08 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28387
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/1/2014 11:05:24 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Hans Zimmer's 'An Ideal Of Hope' is better than Williams' original Superman theme.

They're both utter geniuses, but I genuinely just prefer Zimmer's theme. It's amazing. You can shoot me now.

I agree with you.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28388
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/1/2014 2:29:05 AM   
beniciototoro

ok.
Ed Norton's Hulk is the best so far, (awaiting Mark Ruffalo solo adventure)
Seven Samurai is better than The Magnificent Seven
Citizen Kane is brilliant (this post comes from an 18 year old)
Quantum of Solace is an excellent Bond film
Star Wars is, admittedly, ropey (bad plot, bad script- occasional 1liners) but it has some of the best characters ever created
Adam Sandler isn't actually that bad he just needs a different role other than wisecracking, play-it-dumb, lucky american or The Zohan.
Point Break should not be remade
Wes Andersons Fantastic Mr. Fox is the greatest Roald Dahl film adaptation yet. (aside from the as yet unmade Ben Wheatley's The Twits which is in my mind on a loop, or the also unmade Guillermo Del Toro's version of James and the Giant Peach)

Post #: 28389
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/1/2014 9:09:32 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: beniciototoro
Adam Sandler isn't actually that bad he just needs a different role other than wisecracking, play-it-dumb, lucky american or The Zohan.

He's always the worst thing about any of the films he's in though. His entire film career seems to have been built around stupid crappy voices and shouting a lot. He barely manages to even be funny accidentally. Some of the stuff he's been in is decent enough but it's always down to his co-stars to rescue it from him by adding the drama, humour or charm.

(in reply to beniciototoro)
Post #: 28390
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/1/2014 9:19:49 AM   
MonsterCat

I used to say that I can't give up on Sandler completely because of The Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore, Punch Drunk Love and At a Medium Pace.

Now, I'd rather eat a barb wire, dog shit and broken glass sandwich than watch one of his new films.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/1/2014 9:20:24 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28391
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/1/2014 10:42:20 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Now, I'd rather eat a barb wire, dog shit and broken glass sandwich than watch one of his new films.

Wouldn't be so bad with a bit of ketchup.
Agree The Wedding Singer is a cracking film. I must be lucky because I don't think I've seen him in a film for about 10 years, I assumed he was dead.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28392
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/1/2014 11:03:21 AM   
sanchia

Jack and Jill alone is reason enough to hate him.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28393
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/1/2014 11:13:02 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Jack and Jill alone is reason enough to hate him.

That's enough reason not to put myself through it then. Thanks

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28394
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 10:21:11 AM   
Judge

Not movie related but likely to be unpopular. I don't like Breaking Bad that much. Genuinely surprised by the acclaim it's gotten. Series 1 especially I thought was very weak.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28395
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 1:08:59 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

Not movie related but likely to be unpopular. I don't like Breaking Bad that much. Genuinely surprised by the acclaim it's gotten. Series 1 especially I thought was very weak.

I feel similarly about The Wire so I can't really have a go, but for what particular reasons don't you like it?

I went into it a bit sceptical - expecting it to be good but perhaps not as incredible as everyone was saying - but I was quickly convinced otherwise. I genuinely think it's one of the best TV shows ever made. The writing is sublime.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28396
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 4:57:23 PM   
Judge

quote:

quote:

I feel similarly about The Wire so I can't really have a go, but for what particular reasons don't you like it?

I went into it a bit sceptical - expecting it to be good but perhaps not as incredible as everyone was saying - but I was quickly convinced otherwise. I genuinely think it's one of the best TV shows ever made. The writing is sublime.

Without any spoilers, firstly with series 1 there wasn't any gripping moment. There couldn't be any drama because everything went far too smoothly for him. Everything he tried worked out fine and any potential jeopardy was sorted out in the most predictable and obvious way.

Admittedly some does work well as black humor (bath tub and Saul is a good character), but as the tense addictive drama I was expecting there wasn't one episode which as soon as it ended I had to watch the next one immediately unlike Mad Men or The Wire where I have wasted entire nights going through.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28397
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 5:09:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

The thing about Breaking Bad to me is that the premise never appealed. I appreciate its place in television history but it really doesn't seem to be my sort of show. The same goes for The Wire

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28398
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 5:27:14 PM   
musht

quote:

quote:

quote:

Without any spoilers, firstly with series 1 there wasn't any gripping moment. There couldn't be any drama because everything went far too smoothly for him. Everything he tried worked out fine and any potential jeopardy was sorted out in the most predictable and obvious way.

Admittedly some does work well as black humor (bath tub and Saul is a good character), but as the tense addictive drama I was expecting there wasn't one episode which as soon as it ended I had to watch the next one immediately unlike Mad Men or The Wire where I have wasted entire nights going through.

Completely agree about season 1. I watched the first few episodes and while it was very good it failed to hook me. I've never returned to it, I probably will at some stage given the hype.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28399
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 8:44:57 PM   
Mister Coe

Another vote for THE WIRE as being over-rated... sorry. I tried, truly I did, but I got about 6 episodes in and thought, 'well, not for me...'

Ditto BROADWALK EMPIRE. Bought the DVD box set of series one and still haven't watched the last episode...

But as for BREAKING BAD... I wasn't overtly impressed with series one, but kept going thanks to the great performances... series two is when it really kicks in and, after that, you're tumbling into an absolutely epic tragedy...

BAD is the only series that I've ever seen that just kept getting better and better... the final episodes are stunning.

IMO, anyway...

Say what now?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 28400
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/1/2014 11:00:27 PM   
Coyleone

Breaking Bad is fantastic, but all of the 'BEST SHOW EVER' talk is getting kind of irritating. I'm actually only half way through season 4, so I hear I haven't even experienced the show at it's best yet. I highly doubt two seasons will put it above shows like The Wire, Mad Men and The Sopranos though when looking at the shows overall from start to finish.

I guess my newest unpopular opinion is that 12 Years A Slave isn't actually great at all.

However Spike Jonze's Her is the best film I've watched for a very long time.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28401
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/1/2014 7:56:34 PM   
will1000

Top Gun is terrible. Well shot in a semi-permanent sunset, but terrible.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 28402
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/1/2014 1:53:18 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So i rewatched The Wolfman 2010 last night, the unrated version of course. It's a great movie and very entertaining. The only real problem is the casting of Benicio Del Toro who just seems so so wrong for this role. He is a great actor, but mumbles his way through this performance. I love everything else about the movie and think the FX, the practical and CG are excellent. The production design is beautiful and brings a really moody atmosphere to the proceedings. This is unfairly maligned IMO.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28403
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/1/2014 2:07:23 PM   
Whistler

I didn't dislike The Wolfman, I just thought it was very unremarkable.

Post #: 28404
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/1/2014 3:24:36 PM   
horribleives

It could've been a great film but for studio interference - the CGI is jarringly shit (a crying shame when the make up and practical effects are so good) and the extra scenes of gore stick out like a sore (bloody) thumb. And all those silly faces Anthony Hopkins keeps pulling derail the mood every time he's on screen - I'm sure he thought he was in a Mel Brooks spoof.
But aye, I still found it quite enjoyable despite all that, it's just a shame that the dark, serious piece intended (which to be fair, is still visible occasionally) ended up getting Van Helsinged beyond belief.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28405
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/1/2014 6:29:13 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It could've been a great film but for studio interference - the CGI is jarringly shit (a crying shame when the make up and practical effects are so good) and the extra scenes of gore stick out like a sore (bloody) thumb. And all those silly faces Anthony Hopkins keeps pulling derail the mood every time he's on screen - I'm sure he thought he was in a Mel Brooks spoof.
But aye, I still found it quite enjoyable despite all that, it's just a shame that the dark, serious piece intended (which to be fair, is still visible occasionally) ended up getting Van Helsinged beyond belief.

Are you referring to the CGI stuff there? Yeah, i think it could have been done a bit better, but I hugely enjoyed this movie, blood, guts and all .

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 28406
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/1/2014 9:46:50 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

Top Gun is terrible. Well shot in a semi-permanent sunset, but terrible.

Wasn't it always?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28407
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/1/2014 11:56:44 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

the CGI is jarringly shit

I disagree. But any werewolf films suffers tiresomely from not being American Werewolf in London.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 28408
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/1/2014 3:04:25 PM   
Chris Boomen

I find Star Wars pretty boring and mostly overhyped. After IV I did not want to return to that galaxy far far away.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28409
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/1/2014 8:55:18 AM   
Chronicle

Despicable Me isn't the gem everyone's raving about.

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 28410
Page:   <<   < prev  945 946 [947] 948 949   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  945 946 [947] 948 949   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI