Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  944 945 [946] 947 948   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/1/2014 11:56:24 PM   
rich

Where Arnold and Peter Stormare had a bad accents duel ... is that the one? Jeez I almost forget it was released, so much for his big come back. If only that was the entire movie, but the rest is nearly all FBI types standing around looking confused.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28351
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 12:17:39 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Another vote for THE LAST STAND being a very enjoyable action movie...

And, as I see you lot talking about THE TALL MAN, it reminded me of THE TALL GUY, deffo the funniest Richard Curtis-written movie and one of my favourite comedies ever...

'I will help you when I see fit. You forfeited the right to being treated in a reasonable manner when you made the decision to put a vacuum-cleaner pipe up your bottom...'

Fucking ace...

Few things aroused the 12 year old me as much as the sight of Emma Thompson with a bit of toast stuck to her arse.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28352
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 10:30:09 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

No idea if this is unpopular, but not being a big fan of the Iron Man films, I hesitantly watched Iron Man 3, and thought it was fabulous.
Much better than the first 2 IMO. Action packed and hilarious to boot.
And I watched Man Of Steel the day after and thought it was utter tripe.

Ever read an Iron Man comic?

No, never. I used to read Whizzer and Chips when I was about 9.
I guess you are referring to The Mandarin. I thought it was brilliant, hilarious, just perfect, but I understand grown up fans of the comic (no laughing at the back please) are a bit upset about it.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 28353
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 10:42:27 AM   
AxlReznor

I've never been a fan of the comic, and can only actually stand Iron Man in the films, and I was upset about it. Because despite not being a fan of the comic, I know how I'd feel if Heath Ledger's Joker turned out to just be a joke.

That said, I did find it hilarious.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28354
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 10:47:58 AM   
MonsterCat

I'm not entirely sure how not reading a Superman or Iron Man book makes Jonson's opinion less valid. By that same token I guess I can't call The Exorcist and Jaws my favourite films because I haven't read the novels.

I guess Cool Breeze is just a moron.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 28355
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 10:51:21 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I'm not entirely sure how not reading a Superman or Iron Man book makes Jonson's opinion less valid. By that same token I guess I can't call The Exorcist and Jaws my favourite films because I haven't read the novels.

I guess Cool Breeze is just a moron.

I think he was just saying that if he were a fan of the comic, he wouldn't have liked the film as much. Though I personally know quite a few fans of the comic who loved it, Mandarin plot twist and all.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28356
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 10:54:22 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I think he was just saying that if he were a fan of the comic, he wouldn't have liked the film as much. Though I personally know quite a few fans of the comic who loved it, Mandarin plot twist and all.

Still a stupid argument.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 28357
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 1:50:57 PM   
kumar

Rewatched Indiana Jones 4 last night.

Not bad.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28358
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 7:57:40 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

No idea if this is unpopular, but not being a big fan of the Iron Man films, I hesitantly watched Iron Man 3, and thought it was fabulous.

I guess you are referring to The Mandarin. I thought it was brilliant, hilarious, just perfect, but I understand grown up fans of the comic (no laughing at the back please) are a bit upset about it.

Fair enough.

I read a lot of Iron Man comics as a kid and the representation of the character in the movies isnt very accurate ( Stark isnt nearly as quip heavy as RDJ is in the movies for one thing ) but its forgivable due to RDJ's great screen charisma.

The problem with the Mandarin twist in IM3 is not just because it reduced the character to a joke and it was silly, but its because they implied in the first two movies that the true Mandarin was out there ( The terrorist group known as the ten rings in IM1, the special features in IM2 indicate that Ivan Danko made it to Monaco to attack Stark with the ten rings organisations help ).The trailers promised us a truly scary threat in the form of The Mandarin and Kingsley was doing a pretty damn good job portraying this only for Shane black to turn him into a parody.

Instead the true villain was yet another corporate suit but who could breath fire like a fucking dragon.

But thats only one of the films problems...http://youtu.be/YNcJPxjoxF0

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 3/1/2014 7:59:54 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28359
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/1/2014 8:13:44 PM   
Onlythebassist

- 'Napoleon Dynamite' is unfunny and obnoxious
- Christian Bale's best film is 'The Machinist'
- The Merovingian is the best character in the Matrix trilogy
- Nicholas Cage isn't too bad
- 'Coach Carter' is the best sports film. Period.

< Message edited by Onlythebassist -- 3/1/2014 8:14:23 PM >

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

Post #: 28360
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 8:02:20 AM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

I read a lot of Iron Man comics as a kid and the representation of the character in the movies isnt very accurate ( Stark isnt nearly as quip heavy as RDJ is in the movies for one thing ) but its forgivable due to RDJ's great screen charisma.

The problem with the Mandarin twist in IM3 is not just because it reduced the character to a joke and it was silly, but its because they implied in the first two movies that the true Mandarin was out there ( The terrorist group known as the ten rings in IM1, the special features in IM2 indicate that Ivan Danko made it to Monaco to attack Stark with the ten rings organisations help ).The trailers promised us a truly scary threat in the form of The Mandarin and Kingsley was doing a pretty damn good job portraying this only for Shane black to turn him into a parody.

Instead the true villain was yet another corporate suit but who could breath fire like a fucking dragon.

Personally I find the Mandarin a bit of a joke in the comic itself so had no problem with the representation here. What I didn't like about the film was the manner in which Extremis was wasted and could have been so much more than it was.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28361
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 12:19:22 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

Fair point, I didn't know that so the Mandarin was just another typical angry bad guy (albeit superbly played) dressed slightly different to the rest of them.
One of the reason I'm not a fan of comic book films is they are just so repetitive. I had heard (or read on here) how people were so disgusted with "the twist" (even though I didn't know what it was) I was expecting something else.
The idea that millions of fanboys dropped their popcorn in the cinema and cried kind of amused me a bit, because for a non-fan like me, it was unexpected and was almost a middle finger aimed squarely at the deluge of comic book characters.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 28362
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 12:25:01 PM   
MonsterCat

I never actually thought of the Mandarin twist as Shane Black deliberately fucking with cry baby fanboys.

That makes it even funnier to me.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28363
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 1:32:41 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onlythebassist

- 'Napoleon Dynamite' is unfunny and obnoxious
- Christian Bale's best film is 'The Machinist'
- The Merovingian is the best character in the Matrix trilogy
- Nicholas Cage isn't too bad

yep, cage has his moments.
love that french bastard, only character in the 'matrix' sequels with a sense of humour.

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 28364
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 1:42:55 PM   
superdan

quote:

It's a decent film, but it's not even the best film about basketball (Hoop Dreams, in case you were wondering). Just off the top of my head I'd also put Raging Bull, Moneyball, Senna, Friday Night Lights, Field Of Dreams and The Hurricane ahead of it.

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 28365
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 2:02:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Again with the 'Everything Wrong With' video! You know, the guys at Cinema Sins have stated that they actually like Iron Man 3 which is why they got their fans to come up with sins for it. Also, they do any film as no film is without sin, hence this- click

I think you should no longer use the 'Everything Wrong With' videos or the 'Honest Trailers' from Screen Junkies any more as they have done films you like therefore rendering any video of a film you don't like invalid.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 4/1/2014 2:04:49 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 28366
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 4:32:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Again with the 'Everything Wrong With' video! You know, the guys at Cinema Sins have stated that they actually like Iron Man 3 which is why they got their fans to come up with sins for it. Also, they do any film as no film is without sin, hence this- click

I think you should no longer use the 'Everything Wrong With' videos or the 'Honest Trailers' from Screen Junkies any more as they have done films you like therefore rendering any video of a film you don't like invalid.

Well i wont so there!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 28367
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 4:56:20 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It really is a lazy shorthand for people who aren't prepared to properly dissect a film, isn't it?

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 28368
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 6:19:17 PM   
Chris Boomen

Honest Trailers have done a positive trailer. About Jurassic Park.

Other than that, they are not really ment to be of high-level, they are purely for entertainment and they do that well.

Also:
500 Days of Summer is the best movie ever.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28369
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 10:44:44 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

Other than that, they are not really ment to be of high-level, they are purely for entertainment and they do that well.

Also:
500 Days of Summer is the best movie ever.

quote:

Also: 500 Days of Summer is the best movie ever.

500DOS is a terrific film, but if you're looking for a non cheesy/over-sentimental (yet still romantic) flick, I'd say 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower' is a better bet...

Say what now?

(in reply to Chris Boomen)
Post #: 28370
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 11:33:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Boomen

The problem isn't with the Honest Trailers or the Everything Wrong Withs themselves it is with a certain forum member who constantly posts them to try to win the argument on why he thinks a film is rubbish

I enjoy them, especially the Everything Wrong With videos, they did one for my favourite film, Back to the Future, and I agreed with it. No movie is without faults no matter how much you love it and they are very rarely mean about the film which is why I enjoy them.

Post #: 28371
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 11:36:04 PM   
Darth Marenghi

The IM3 twist in its execution felt a bit like something from a Warren Ellis comic to me. And given that the film was based off one of his Iron Man storylines, I'm kind of cool with that.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28372
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/1/2014 11:46:06 PM   
UTB

I thought the IM3 twist was great. Like a little dig at the multi-villain excess of modern blockbusters.

Though I didn't think much of the film itself.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 28373
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/1/2014 6:43:38 PM   
Chris Boomen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe
500DOS is a terrific film, but if you're looking for a non cheesy/over-sentimental (yet still romantic) flick, I'd say 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower' is a better bet...

I did not really like that one. Usually, I enjoy romcoms for their naivity and positive message, but I feel like Perks of Being a Wallflower did not succeed in bringing me that joy. Does not take away, that it is a pretty good movie.

"I love all the arts, but I love movies most because they combine so many of them."
~Brad Bird

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28374
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 9:28:47 AM   
Hardcore Raver

I actually really enjoyed 'Olympus Has Fallen'. Sure, the entire movie is just ridiculously stupid, but sometimes that's what I want in an action film.

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

Post #: 28375
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 1:03:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

I like 'ridiculously stupid' in my action films too but I felt OHF was far too mean spirited to be truly fun.

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 28376
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 1:57:33 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Olympus Has Fallen is great fun. It has great pacing, a superb cast and lots of memorable moments. The violence is very welcome too. It feels like it was made in the 80's or early 90's. It could have done with a bigger CG budget and perhaps one more big set piece at the end, but other than that, great fun! Butler was surprisingly good too, even his accent didn't grate as much as expected. Oh and Aaron Eckhart was a kick ass president, however on the flipside, i feel that Morgan Freeman is a bit too old for these kind of roles now.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 28377
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 2:27:02 PM   
Whistler

I kind of enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen, too. I know it was complete propagandistic nonsense, but it was pretty fun.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28378
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 3:35:01 PM   
Onlythebassist

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

It's a decent film, but it's not even the best film about basketball (Hoop Dreams, in case you were wondering)

Awesome film I agree, but I think Carter is special because it (like Hoop Dreams) pays attention to the academic side as well as the athletic. I just love the messages given about strength of character, respect, hard work and success, whereas Hoop Dreams is brutally honest, but I interpreted it as a 'screw your hopes and dreams' one.

And extremely large bias on my part that SLJ is my favourite actor of all time :)

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28379
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/1/2014 4:29:22 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Olympus Has Fallen is great fun. It has great pacing, a superb cast and lots of memorable moments. The violence is very welcome too. It feels like it was made in the 80's or early 90's. It could have done with a bigger CG budget and perhaps one more big set piece at the end, but other than that, great fun! Butler was surprisingly good too, even his accent didn't grate as much as expected. Oh and Aaron Eckhart was a kick ass president, however on the flipside, i feel that Morgan Freeman is a bit too old for these kind of roles now.

Would that be the same president who spends most of the film tied to a railing, whining, bubbling and grimacing unconvincingly like a generic henchman out of a particularly shit episode of The A Team?
Kick ass? I've had harder shites.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 28380
Page:   <<   < prev  944 945 [946] 947 948   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  944 945 [946] 947 948   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI