Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  941 942 [943] 944 945   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/12/2013 12:37:11 PM   
shool

Like post a picture of a shed with its doors wide open?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28261
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/12/2013 10:47:47 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Is it just me or was Gravity though visualy stunning a little meh! I mean I even saw it twice to give myself another chance but storywise it just seemed a little dull.
Also if this is Empire's film of the year then I honestly think it's been a bit of a weak year then. Role on 2014 so far January's films look awsome.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 28262
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/12/2013 5:12:47 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Is it just me or was Gravity though visualy stunning a little meh! I mean I even saw it twice to give myself another chance but storywise it just seemed a little dull.

I sort of agree. Its 90 minute running time still managed to fly by in a hurry (we've surely all seen a few 90 minute movies that still managed to be boring, so it's a legitimate plus that this movie avoided that), but after that breathtaking opening scene I found I just didn't care enough about the people on screen to be that gripped.

Except for George Clooney, but that man has so much charisma it's practically oozing out of his eyeballs.

It's a technical game changer though. Any sci-fi movie that attempts to be realistic in future has its work cut out, especially in the sound department. I loved that they had the sound travelling through the astronauts suits when they're drilling at the start, or the sound returning to the cabin when it re-pressurised during "that scene."

I'm also really glad I saw it in 3D.

Strictly speaking, I still thought of it as a 5 star experience when I saw it in the cinema, but I'm not sure I'll manage to sit through it all again any time soon.

Captain Phillips or Pacific Rim are my favourites of the year.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 18/12/2013 5:13:19 PM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 28263
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/12/2013 5:59:37 PM   
Cool Breeze

I thought Gravity would have been even better had a more credible dramatic actress played Sandra Bullocks role.She is a bit goofy looking and more well known for slapstick comedy roles which is probably why i struggled to take her seriously in the film.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28264
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/12/2013 6:13:34 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I thought Gravity would have been even better had a more credible dramatic actress played Sandra Bullocks role.She is a bit goofy looking and more well known for slapstick comedy roles which is probably why i struggled to take her seriously in the film.

You struggle to take her seriously because she's done a few comedy films and you don't like the way she looks? Bullock is a multi-award winner (including an Oscar for a dramatic role), was the highest paid actress in Hollywood last year and has been one of the most bankable stars of the last 3 or 4 years, so it's fair to say she's got a decent amount of credibility.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 28265
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/12/2013 6:23:24 PM   
Deviation

There's also that her performance in Gravity, taken by itself, was incredible.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28266
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/12/2013 6:35:20 PM   
Hood_Man

Personally I think Roger Moore would have been a better choice.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 28267
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/12/2013 9:43:55 PM   
Coyleone

For Bullocks role or Clooneys? Either way I agree

I liked Gravity a lot for what it was, it's got some very dodgy and cliche scenes but overall it did what it did extremely well, unlike a lot of action or sci-fi movies that get released.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28268
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/12/2013 10:55:57 PM   
Judge

There's a few in this article which could spark a debate or two... http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/dec/19/why-re-evalute-films-once-great-queenan

Oh and I absolutely adore Gravity and it was the first time I have appreciated Bullock as an actress.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 28269
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/12/2013 11:16:10 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

You struggle to take her seriously because she's done a few comedy films and you don't like the way she looks? Bullock is a multi-award winner (including an Oscar for a dramatic role), was the highest paid actress in Hollywood last year and has been one of the most bankable stars of the last 3 or 4 years, so it's fair to say she's got a decent amount of credibility.

Lets not forget one of those awards was a razzie

As for being the highest paid actress last year, thats hardly a measure of acting quality is it? Adam Sandler is one of hollywoods highest paid stars for making rubbish films and acting like a complete twat in them.

Seriously though, i dont dislike Bullock, i think shes just better suited to comedies and that her part in Gravity would have been better served by a more credible dramatic actress like Vera Faramiga or Jessica Chastain.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28270
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 6:43:43 AM   
sanchia

quote:

It does show her range.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28271
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 11:36:53 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

quote:

As for being the highest paid actress last year, thats hardly a measure of acting quality is it? Adam Sandler is one of hollywoods highest paid stars for making rubbish films and acting like a complete twat in them.

Seriously though, i dont dislike Bullock, i think shes just better suited to comedies and that her part in Gravity would have been better served by a more credible dramatic actress like Vera Faramiga or Jessica Chastain.

Because you find them more physically appealing? What has Bullocks appereance got to do with anything?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 28272
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 11:38:43 AM   
Discodez

I got as far as "and dirty dancing is still brilliant" and stopped reading! utter foolishness

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28273
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 12:07:55 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nevertheless, she is clearly not just well-known for slapstick comedy, so I wouldn't generalise ignorance of her career to an assertion of an absolute view on it.

Especially as the very simple point is your unpop opinion is you personally had issues with Bullock in the role.

All I can say is - I was surprised at how good she was and I'm very glad it was neither of the actresses you name.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 28274
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 12:13:19 PM   
superdan

quote:

The fact that she won a Razzie for a comedy performance and an Oscar for a dramatic performance says you're wrong I won't be surprised if she gets another Oscar for Gravity too.

I only mentioned the fact that she is highly paid in combination with being critically and commercially successful (on a level that Adam fucking Sandler doesn't really compare with) to demonstrate that she is a highly credible actor. Again, something Sandler is not.

Post #: 28275
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 12:16:40 PM   
jcthefirst

"Goofy looking?"

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28276
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 12:24:16 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

The fact that she won a Razzie for a comedy performance and an Oscar for a dramatic performance says you're wrong I won't be surprised if she gets another Oscar for Gravity too.

I only mentioned the fact that she is highly paid in combination with being critically and commercially successful (on a level that Adam fucking Sandler doesn't really compare with) to demonstrate that she is a highly credible actor. Again, something Sandler is not.

Which is odd as Cool Breeze did highlight the critically successful bit in his reply

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28277
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/12/2013 9:39:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

quote:

quote:

Because you find them more physically appealing? What has Bullocks appereance got to do with anything?

Perhaps i didnt make myself very clear.Im not saying Bullock is ugly or anything, she just has one of those faces that is more suited to comedy and iv only ever seen her play comedy roles.Id be making the same complaint if Tina Fey ( who i really like ) played Bullocks part in Gravity.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 20/12/2013 9:40:25 PM >

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 28278
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/12/2013 3:25:24 AM   
Rhubarb

This is one of the stupidest lines of reasoning I have ever read. And I've read some of your previous posts.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 28279
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/12/2013 3:41:08 PM   
Moorish

Mama left me conflicted. Was it good or bad? The opinion will be unpopular with somebody, right?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 28280
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/12/2013 3:58:38 PM   
rich

2013 was a big disappointment, ranging from crap to just okay.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 28281
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/12/2013 9:21:46 PM   
UTB

Scrooged is the worst Christmas film of the lot.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 28282
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/12/2013 9:42:23 PM   
Shifty Bench

In a world where Christmas With The Kranks, Deck The Halls and Surviving Christmas exist, I can't disagree more.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28283
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/12/2013 9:45:21 PM   
UTB

Fair enough. I suppose I meant 'of all of the usual Christmas movies that get carted out year after year, Scrooged is the worst''.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 28284
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/12/2013 11:15:22 AM   
will1000

Superhero films (Marvel ones in particular) are fast becoming boring vacuous CGI-fests where another city gets destroyed, shit blows up and I don't care!

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 28285
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/12/2013 12:36:31 PM   
Mr Gittes

All of David Fincher's serial killer films (including Dragon Tattoo) are better than Silence Of The Lambs. I also prefer M, Dirty Harry and probably Manhunter too (despite its cheesy ending). Lambs is a classic, no doubt, but I never thought it was that good.

It especially irked me how in Empire's Blu-Ray/DVD review of Fincher's Dragon Tattoo, they said the film was too "mainstream". This in itself was baffling to me, but then the reviewer went on to say something along the lines of "it's not a torture dungeon on Silence Of The Lambs". Well, it's not as if that film was bloody art-house, you know. (hate to sound like a squealing fanboy there, but it does stick in my craw)

< Message edited by Mr Gittes -- 22/12/2013 12:37:35 PM >

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 28286
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/12/2013 2:23:20 PM   
spark1

the 'harry potter' movies have been hugely successful but will never be loved or remembered in the same way as films like 'e t', 'bugsy malone', 'mary poppins' and other kids classics.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 28287
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/12/2013 3:05:30 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

the 'harry potter' movies have been hugely successful but will never be loved or remembered in the same way as films like 'e t', 'bugsy malone', 'mary poppins' and other kids classics.

I don't like E.T., and never have done even as a child. I'd watch all of the Harry Potter films over that, any day of the week.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 28288
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/12/2013 3:19:26 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

I don't like E.T., and never have done even as a child. I'd watch all of the Harry Potter films over that, any day of the week.

Same here. I'd watch them over Mary Poppins as well and I'd probably watch a couple of them ahead of Bugsy Malone to be honest.

It's also a bit presumptous to be saying that the films will "never be loved or remembered in the same way". My daughter is 8 years old and absolutely adores the Potter films (all of which she's seen a crap load of times) whereas she's got no time at all for any of the films mentioned above. If you ask her when she's an adult which films she remembers fondly from her childhood I'd bet good money right now that the Potter films will feature quite highly.

These films may not be loved or remembered in the same way by spark1 or by many people of my generation (or thereabouts) but the kids of today would probably beg to differ.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28289
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/12/2013 3:27:26 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

I don't like E.T., and never have done even as a child.

Yup, me too.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28290
Page:   <<   < prev  941 942 [943] 944 945   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  941 942 [943] 944 945   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI