Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  938 939 [940] 941 942   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 6:27:39 PM   
Deviation

A slightly dodgy accent (which frankly I wouldn't recognize, it's not stereotypically Oirish enough and frankly nobody would notice outside the UK and Ireland) is just a slight problem compared to the outright vulgarities Origins does on every single level, especially since at least the super-Irish Magneto still felt profoundly like Magneto AND IN A MOMENT GOES IN THE PATAGONIA TO BECOME MAGNETO: NAZI HUNTER.

That would be like me criticizing Gaincarlo Esposito's performance in Breaking Bad because frankly not even 1-2% of Chileans would come close to look like him and his Chilean Spanish is shit. And do you know how many actors don't tend to get accents right but you don't realize because you're not familiar with the language? A heckload, I think listening to Benicio del Toro playing Che actually sounding something close to an Argentinian was a shock. Or even worse, the little Spanish in First Class was spoken like Spain Spanish, not Buenos Aires Spanish, they differ a lot in accent. DIOS MIO!

I mean Fookin Hell man, did you SEE Argo, the Persians in that movie spoke Persian like an Iranian-American, not an Iranian living in Tehran. BLASPHEMY

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/11/2013 7:03:37 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 28171
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 6:53:14 PM   
Judge

The Master is the best film of the new decade by a fucking mile. Nothing else comes remotely close. The first session between Lancaster and Freddie is just incredible. Acting. Writing. And directing. All faultless.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 28172
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 6:56:16 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

The Master is the best film of the new decade by a fucking mile. Nothing else comes remotely close. The first session between Lancaster and Freddie is just incredible. Acting. Writing. And directing. All faultless.

Ya, agree with this. Isn't this more divisive than unpopular though?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/11/2013 6:57:50 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28173
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 7:08:50 PM   
Judge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judge

Ya, agree with this. Isn't this more divisive than unpopular though?

Ha I did consider starting a Your Divisive Opinion thread but thought I may have got accused of duplicating!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 28174
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 7:13:30 PM   
garvielloken

The Master is indeed brilliant, but the best film of the decade so far is It's Such a Beautiful Day. I'd probably have The Turin Horse second.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Judge)
Post #: 28175
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 7:17:25 PM   
Whistler

Here's another for thinking The Master is fantastic, but my vote goes to Melancholia.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 28176
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 7:20:00 PM   
garvielloken

Oooh, I love von Trier and I thought Melancholia was great on my first watch but when I saw it again this year it left me completely cold. Not that I hated it but it's far from his best work.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28177
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 7:32:31 PM   
Whistler

It impresses the pants off me every time I watch it. It perhaps lacks the sheer gut punch of that first viewing, but damn is it still breathtaking.

Post #: 28178
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/11/2013 7:38:53 PM   
garvielloken

To be fair, a naked Kirsten Dunst would impress the pants off anyone.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28179
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2013 2:24:44 PM   
Whistler

Pity she's not in Nymphomaniac...

Post #: 28180
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2013 6:00:52 PM   
Beno

John Carter is an excellent movie.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28181
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2013 6:03:44 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

No it isnt.Its very, very dull.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 28182
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2013 8:16:35 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

Endless CGI bollocks with unappealing characters and a story that I forgot ten minutes after watching it.

Nope, not having it.

Say what now?

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 28183
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2013 8:18:29 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

Endless CGI bollocks with unappealing characters and a story that I forgot ten minutes after watching it.

Nope, not having it.

It's far from excellent but I don't think it deserves all the hate it gets. Thought it was enjoyable enough.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28184
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 2:00:06 PM   
Cool Breeze

The DC universe comics movies and tv shows are of a higher quality than the Marvel cinematic and tv universe.

The only thing in the MCU that comes close to matching the Dark Knight trilogy for example is The Avengers and even that looks pretty childish compared to The Dark Knight.

This year alone, Man Of Steel was better than both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

On television, Arrow is a much better series than Marvels Agents Of SHITE.

So even though Marvel may be making more movies and raking in more bucks, DC has the best characters overall and better movies and tv shows.

Heck, i even liked Green Lantern!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28185
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 2:16:21 PM   
sanchia

Looked better maybe but the plot was a mess especially the final third of Man of Steel and the presentation of Jonathan Kent was terrible. DC doesn't really have the best characters just a different approach and they have selected a different type of character to present and taken a different style of approach to the films (more dramatic over action orientated as when they do the actual action it is awful as the aforementioned mess which was the last third of Man of Steel proves).

I would just say your last comment invalidates the rest,

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28186
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 2:30:02 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Looked better maybe but the plot was a mess especially the final third of Man of Steel and the presentation of Jonathan Kent was terrible. DC doesn't really have the best characters just a different approach and they have selected a different type of character to present and taken a different style of approach to the films (more dramatic over action orientated as when they do the actual action it is awful as the aforementioned mess which was the last third of Man of Steel proves).

Problem is, DC and Warners aren't as savvy as Marvel are with choosing directors and casting. Sure Chris Nolan brought a lot to Batman, but they also hired a run-of-the-mill hack to make Green Lantern and Zack Snyder for Superman, who's basically a less objectionable version of Michael Bay.

Marvel have produced some bilge, but when they hired Brannagh to make Thor and Shane Black for Iron Man 3, those struck me as being as rather interesting choices. They're both proper directors with a style and a past form that slots in perfectly with the material, which cannot be said for Martin Campbell or Snyder, I think.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 10/11/2013 2:31:27 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28187
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 2:56:05 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Marvel,in my opinion, have always been a far more open and diverse company compared to the 'true blueness' of DC.
Granted not all of Marvel's major solo-character driven films have been great (but atleast they're at the very least passable,entertaining productions) and I'm still slightly skeptical of how their films are marketed in this slightly TV series style monopoly that only ever feels like lead-ups to the Avengers blockbusters.

But ,as others have mentioned, its that risk with trendy and smart Directors and writers that hold my interest when concerning Marvel & Disney produced films more so than it does DC,who I'm yet to feel any sense of interest in after Nolan's Batman works.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28188
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 3:15:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

I really dont understand these criticisms.The final third of Man Of Steel was the best superhero action id seen since, well, The Avengers, instead in this case you really felt there was a lot at stake when Superman was fighting Zods army.The final battle of Avengers was great but a lot of it was played for laughs, in Man Of Steel you could feel the terror of the carnage being caused and that lives were being lost.I also liked that Superman had to rely on help from normal human beings to stop the invasion because as powerful as he is, he is only one man and he was fighting an army.

It was also a bold choice for the filmakers to have Supes kill the main baddie in such a brutal fashion.While the DC movies have their flaws, they tend to take the characters more seriously and have less OTT humour than the likes of the Marvel films.

What was wrong with the presentation of Jonathan Kent? He brought up Clark to be a decent human being and protected him like any good father should.He also taught him to control his emotions and not lash out at bulies that Clark could easily seriously hurt or even kill.I beleive some have misinterpreted the characters dialogue after Clark saves a bus full of children that he should have let them die.That is not what he meant at all, its just that he knew Clark was here for a reason and that it was so important to the future of mankind that he had to be very careful of exposing what he really was to the world before it was time.Jonathan Kent beleived in this so much that he was willing to sacrifice himself as he does later in the film rather than have Clark expose his identity.

And DC does have the best characters by the simple fact that they own the two greatest superheros of all time in Superman and especially , Batman.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28189
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 3:31:49 PM   
Scott_

Isn't the Marvel universe a little OTT and humorous anyway? I'd say they've captured that well on film so far, especially the Iron Man movies. Not everything has to be dark and brooding. Marvel must be doing something right because Warner Bros and DC are desperate to get on that superhero team up band wagon with Batman vs. Superman and trying to get Justice League going.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 28190
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 3:39:51 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Isn't the Marvel universe a little OTT and humorous anyway? I'd say they've captured that well on film so far, especially the Iron Man movies. Not everything has to be dark and brooding. Marvel must be doing something right because Warner Bros and DC are desperate to get on that superhero team up band wagon with Batman vs. Superman and trying to get Justice League going.

Oh dont get me wrong.I enjoy the Marvel films for the most part ( The only ones that i have only really been disappointed in were Iron Man 2 and especially the AWFUL Iron Man 3 ).Not everything has to be dark and brooding but not everything has to be silly and slapstick either.Movies like Batman Begins and Man Of Steel are terrific because they take the characters seriously but have humour that is more subtle.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 28191
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 4:09:49 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

What was wrong with the presentation of Jonathan Kent? He brought up Clark to be a decent human being and protected him like any good father should.He also taught him to control his emotions and not lash out at bulies that Clark could easily seriously hurt or even kill.I beleive some have misinterpreted the characters dialogue after Clark saves a bus full of children that he should have let them die.That is not what he meant at all, its just that he knew Clark was here for a reason and that it was so important to the future of mankind that he had to be very careful of exposing what he really was to the world before it was time.Jonathan Kent beleived in this so much that he was willing to sacrifice himself as he does later in the film rather than have Clark expose his identity.

He brought up Clark to hide and to allow others to die if that meant that he kept his secret. What is there to misinterpret when he asked if he should have let them die he responded "maybe you should have"? That is not an ambiguous statement in any way shape or form and nothing which happens in the film later suggests that he did not believe that he meant anything else by it to make it possible to misinterpret what he said (other than a throw away comment regarding "he knew you would do great things" after Superman has become Superman whereby it had no influence on his decision). When his alien father is the one showing Superman what is the best of humanity rather than the human father then something has gone wrong as Jonathan Kent is supposed to represent the father figure who taught Superman how to be the best of us not to hide and let others die rather than risk himself. That is what is wrong with the presentation of Jonathan Kent, he is shown to say that Superman should hide no matter what even at the cost of lives and never allow the public to know he exists whilst Jor El is the one stating he needs to show humanity what he is capable of and to protect them.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28192
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 4:47:02 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I really dont understand these criticisms.The final third of Man Of Steel was the best superhero action id seen since, well, The Avengers, instead in this case you really felt there was a lot at stake when Superman was fighting Zods army.

The action in the final fight was repetitive and boring and despite the destruction I personally didn't feel that there were any stakes at all. A couple of characters we had met once before were in danger, that's about it. We are supposed to care about Perry White because he has the same name as a comic character and because he is played by Fishburne, we are given no other reason to give a shit. And so many people perish in the destruction but nobody, especially not Super....ummm....whoever, cares so why should we? I'm glad you enjoyed the film, and you are not the only one but it just didn't sit right with me. This was not Superman and if I enjoyed the film on its own terms, that wouldn't have bothered me but I found most of it dull, sadly.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 28193
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 4:49:47 PM   
sanchia

I believe the slightly more primary coloured world presented by Marvel would actually work better with Superman and be more complimentary to the character than the apparent "realistic" approach they were trying for,

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 28194
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 5:18:00 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I believe the slightly more primary coloured world presented by Marvel would actually work better with Superman and be more complimentary to the character than the apparent "realistic" approach they were trying for,

I was surprised at the time that DC didn't go down the 'Marvel' route.
Whats going to happen with their new Batman franchise?, and what would be the point of going down that realistic avenue once again?
The realistic point of storyline can only go so far in my opinion before questions start to be aired,as noted in the enjoyable yet slightly 'up and down' DKR where,I thought,it was running on empty in the third act.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28195
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 8:36:23 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I really dont understand these criticisms.The final third of Man Of Steel was the best superhero action id seen since, well, The Avengers, instead in this case you really felt there was a lot at stake when Superman was fighting Zods army.

The action in the final fight was repetitive and boring and despite the destruction I personally didn't feel that there were any stakes at all. A couple of characters we had met once before were in danger, that's about it. We are supposed to care about Perry White because he has the same name as a comic character and because he is played by Fishburne, we are given no other reason to give a shit. And so many people perish in the destruction but nobody, especially not Super....ummm....whoever, cares so why should we? I'm glad you enjoyed the film, and you are not the only one but it just didn't sit right with me. This was not Superman and if I enjoyed the film on its own terms, that wouldn't have bothered me but I found most of it dull, sadly.

My problem with it was the whole thing that Supes kept the fight in the city, like without the slightest self-awareness that he was causing the death of thousands.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 28196
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 9:08:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

My problem with it was the whole thing that Supes kept the fight in the city, like without the slightest self-awareness that he was causing the death of thousands.

Yes, that too. Superman is a dick in this movie, he basically says ' I can kill every human on this planet and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me but I choose not to'. What kind of hero/protector is that? And don't give me this 'anti-hero' shit, because that is not Superman, he's a boy scout, it is the way the Kents brought him up. Another thing that annoys me is the complete reluctance on the part of the film-makers to even call him Superman as if they know they are not actually making a real Superman movie. They even joke about the name to the point of ridicule.

I will add, that I don't read the comics so this is not a Superman 'fanboy' talking.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 28197
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 9:18:56 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, that too. Superman is a dick in this movie, he basically says ' I can kill every human on this planet and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me but I choose not to'. What kind of hero/protector is that? And don't give me this 'anti-hero' shit, because that is not Superman, he's a boy scout, it is the way the Kents brought him up. Another thing that annoys me is the complete reluctance on the part of the film-makers to even call him Superman as if they know they are not actually making a real Superman movie. They even joke about the name to the point of ridicule.

I will add, that I don't read the comics so this is not a Superman 'fanboy' talking.

I don't think you need to read the comics as you views are fully justified.
So,they basically make Supes abit of a git?

Post #: 28198
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/11/2013 9:39:38 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

So,they basically make Supes abit of a git?

Yup, that's about it

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 28199
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/11/2013 12:26:09 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

He brought up Clark to hide and to allow others to die if that meant that he kept his secret. What is there to misinterpret when he asked if he should have let them die he responded "maybe you should have"? That is not an ambiguous statement in any way shape or form and nothing which happens in the film later suggests that he did not believe that he meant anything else by it to make it possible to misinterpret what he said (other than a throw away comment regarding "he knew you would do great things" after Superman has become Superman whereby it had no influence on his decision). When his alien father is the one showing Superman what is the best of humanity rather than the human father then something has gone wrong as Jonathan Kent is supposed to represent the father figure who taught Superman how to be the best of us not to hide and let others die rather than risk himself. That is what is wrong with the presentation of Jonathan Kent, he is shown to say that Superman should hide no matter what even at the cost of lives and never allow the public to know he exists whilst Jor El is the one stating he needs to show humanity what he is capable of and to protect them.

Absolute bullshit.

For one thing that is not what he said! When asked whether he should have let them die, Jonathan says '' maybe '' and the way Costner delivers that line is that he is not entirely certain what to say to that.He brought up Clark pretty much the same way that the Jonathan Kent of the original '78 film did, but since that film was more light hearted and kiddie oriented ( though still great of course ) it didnt really get into what would really happen bringing up a kid like that.In both Superman The Movie and Man Of Steel, Clark is taught not to use his powers in the open as his adopted parents are afraid he will be taken away by god knows who.

In Man Of Steel Jonathan Kent obviously brings up Clark to be a good and moral person unlike someone like say, Lex Luthor.Can you imagine if someone like HIM had found Clark first? almost certainly he would have grown up to be an entirely unscruplous person and would have certainly been used by Luthor as a weapon for his own gain.

Of course Jonathan is glad that the children on the bus were saved, hes just worried about Clarks safety and him being exposed to the world about what he really is.He obviously taught Clark not to lash out at bullies as we see in the flashback to when hes pushed to the ground by some older kid.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28200
Page:   <<   < prev  938 939 [940] 941 942   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  938 939 [940] 941 942   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI