Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  932 933 [934] 935 936   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 8:23:28 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The main problem I had with Iron Man 3 was it came across a little too much as if they came up with the finale and then wrote the rest of the film around it.

I thought the story was smooth and organic, good structure. It's been pointed out by some people that the film is somewhat closed off from the others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which I agree with to a certain extent, but when the product's this good, I really don't care.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27991
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 11:30:31 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

I'm not sure whether this is unpopular but I think this year has been a relatively poor year for films. I've seen over 40 films at the cinema alone and I struggle to put together a top ten so far. So many disappointments. Of course this is all subjective but I can't help but feel it has been a below par year up until now.

I'm with you, this year has been rubbish. I am struggling to come up with a top ten this year too.

Django Unchained
Les Mis
Mud
Stuck In Love
The Way, Way Back
Lincoln
The Conjuring
Bernie
Stoker
Zero Dark Thirty
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Star Trek Into Darkness
Behind The Candelabra
Kick-Ass 2
The Impossible
This Is The End
Pacific Rim
Oz The Great And Powerful
Flight
The Croods

There's 20. Easy

Two of them in particular can kiss my arse and won't be in my top ten. The rest I have yet to see so my list will change come the end of the year.

Let me guess...

Kick-Ass 2 and Oz?

Kick-Ass 2 must be one of them - everyone hates it except me.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27992
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/9/2013 12:05:14 AM   
Scott_

Kick Ass 2 was great, you are not alone my friend.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27993
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/9/2013 2:31:32 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Iron Man 3 is the best Marvel movie yet. It also has the best script/ dialogue of any Marvel movie.

Shane Black is a VASTLY superior writer to Joss Whedon.

The script/ dialogue of The Avengers is not great and pretty embarassing at times. Particularly the moments where our heroes are trying to sound tough.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 25/9/2013 2:32:17 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27994
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/9/2013 6:19:49 PM   
justfontaine

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

I'm not sure whether this is unpopular but I think this year has been a relatively poor year for films. I've seen over 40 films at the cinema alone and I struggle to put together a top ten so far. So many disappointments. Of course this is all subjective but I can't help but feel it has been a below par year up until now.

I'm with you, this year has been rubbish. I am struggling to come up with a top ten this year too.

Django Unchained
Les Mis
Mud
Stuck In Love
The Way, Way Back
Lincoln
The Conjuring
Bernie
Stoker
Zero Dark Thirty
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Star Trek Into Darkness
Behind The Candelabra
Kick-Ass 2
The Impossible
This Is The End
Pacific Rim
Oz The Great And Powerful
Flight
The Croods

There's 20. Easy

Of course, it's all opinion, but the one's I have highlighted there are the only one's of that list that I have rated this year. I have many disappointments. Django, especially, I found to be a horrendously overlong, convoluted, uninspired, dull mess of a film. My top ten, at a push, so far is, and not in order -

Frances Ha
Stoker
No
Mud
The Place Beyond The Pines
Spring Breakers
Made of Stone: The Stone Roses
This Is The End
You're Next
Iron Man 3

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27995
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 27/9/2013 11:22:34 AM   
No Diggity

Blade Runner was on again last night. i know it tops sf-fi lists, and is a big fav of this forum, and there are many goods things about it,,,but is it pretentious in parts and arty for the sake of it. (just a bit even?) i was watching it, my fourth or fifth viewing at this stage, but i hadn't seen it in years, and i kept asking myself, is there any need for that shot, that closeup, etc....

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27996
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 27/9/2013 11:44:58 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: No Diggity

Blade Runner was on again last night. i know it tops sf-fi lists, and is a big fav of this forum, and there are many goods things about it,,,but is it pretentious in parts and arty for the sake of it. (just a bit even?) i was watching it, my fourth or fifth viewing at this stage, but i hadn't seen it in years, and i kept asking myself, is there any need for that shot, that closeup, etc....

Any examples?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 27997
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 27/9/2013 1:51:13 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: No Diggity

Saw it when i was about 14 & didnt like it.
Tried again when i was in my 30's as people were saying what a classis it was & thought i'd give it a go again as i thought it was maybe because of my age & the fact that i was dissapointed that it was Harrison Ford/Sci-fi and wasnt what i thought it would be but still thought it was overated.
Started watching it last night on Film 4 ( I'm 42 now) and still didnt "get" all the fuss about it!

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 27998
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/9/2013 4:22:01 PM   
No Diggity

RE: Rgirvan44

As for examples, there's nothing that's glaring, but there's quiet a few moments after the hour mark that you just go, 'move on please', i've seen a close up of daryl hannahs eyes already .....

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 27999
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/9/2013 11:04:52 PM   
Mister Coe

Never Let Me Go is one of the very best films of the last few years...

< Message edited by Mister Coe -- 30/9/2013 11:05:11 PM >

Say what now?

(in reply to No Diggity)
Post #: 28000
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/10/2013 7:59:30 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Never Let Me Go is one of the very best films of the last few years...

Agree 100 % about Never Let Me Go. As for Blade Runner when I first saw it I hated it but it has grown on me. The soundtrack is awesome however.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 1/10/2013 8:00:42 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28001
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 7/10/2013 1:23:53 PM   
Vitamin F

Jennifer Lawrence was the worst thing in Silver Linings Playbook - I'm genuinely baffled as to how she won an Oscar for that 'performance' because it didn't seem like much of a stretch, and everyone elso on-screen was on a different level.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 28002
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 7/10/2013 10:23:00 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

Jennifer Lawrence was the worst thing in Silver Linings Playbook - I'm genuinely baffled as to how she won an Oscar for that 'performance' because it didn't seem like much of a stretch, and everyone elso on-screen was on a different level.

I agree with you on that... don't get me wrong, she's a perfectly likeable actress and a lot better than many of her peers... but an Oscar for such an average performance?  Nope, not having that...

Say what now?

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 28003
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/10/2013 3:29:17 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

I agree with you on that... don't get me wrong, she's a perfectly likeable actress and a lotbetter than many of her peers... but an Oscar for such an average performance? Nope, not having that...

I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook so can't comment on that but she wouldn't be the first actor to win an Oscar for an average performance. In fact I'd say it's kind of the norm.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28004
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/10/2013 9:27:06 PM   
Mister Coe

I might have posted this before, but just in case I haven't...

The Comic Strip Presents...Bad News shows are far funnier than This Is Spinal Tap.

Say what now?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 28005
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/10/2013 7:36:08 PM   
Jonezy123

I absolutely love films, I'd go as far as to say obsessively so. But I am frustrated by the fact the blockbusters seem to be getting dumber and dumber and incredibly badly written. I mean the recent Star Trek was a joke.

This is coinciding with the current 'golden era' or TV which I agree about. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter and Game of Thrones are all impeccably scripted and story lined. The best screen writers seem to be drawn towards TV now as there's more scope to flex their writing muscles over as season ten hours long, rather than over two hours of he average film.

So for this reason my popular opinion is; good TV is currently much better than 99.9% of cinema. In fact it sh!ts all over it from a great height.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28006
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/10/2013 7:50:59 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonezy123

I absolutely love films, I'd go as far as to say obsessively so. But I am frustrated by the fact the blockbusters seem to be getting dumber and dumber and incredibly badly written. I mean the recent Star Trek was a joke.

This is coinciding with the current 'golden era' or TV which I agree about. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter and Game of Thrones are all impeccably scripted and story lined. The best screen writers seem to be drawn towards TV now as there's more scope to flex their writing muscles over as season ten hours long, rather than over two hours of he average film.

So for this reason my popular opinion is; good TV is currently much better than 99.9% of cinema. In fact it sh!ts all over it from a great height.

But there are SO many films out there other than blockbusters. The vast majority of my favourite films this year aren't blockbusters (ironically my favourite one so far is Into Darkness ), and I haven't even seen most of them. Kermode's top 5, for example. Haven't seen one of them.

Some of these TV shows like GoT, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad etc. are absolutely fantastic, but they're a long way from being far superior. There's so much amazing cinema out there, you just sometimes have to look for it.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 28007
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/10/2013 8:55:45 PM   
Jonezy123

Big cinema vs big TV is being won easily by the latter. In fact it's a trouncing. Most blockbusters now are so terrible.

But more independent films are better than ever, it's my preferred end of the spectrum. All my top ten would be from films with smaller budgets. Except Pacific rim which was awesome. A gloriously stupid film which I love.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28008
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/10/2013 9:09:33 PM   
Olaf

It's a good point to make that the best TV shows are the blockbusters of their medium to a certain extent - speaking purely anecdotally, the hype for (as an example) the Breaking Bad finale was as big, if not bigger than Man of Steel or Star Trek. So I think it's fair to pit the massively-popular big budget projects coming from television against the massively-popular big budget projects coming from the cinema, and the former surely comes out on top.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 28009
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/10/2013 4:53:07 AM   
CriticNumberOne

Nearly all comic book films are terrible
Soulless,corporate and one dimensional
Tony Stark?Bruce Wayne?Meh.

Film.Involve me,engage me,encapsulate me,make me feel.
Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 28010
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/10/2013 9:36:39 AM   
UTB

Sounds like Critic Number Twos if you ask me.

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 28011
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/10/2013 2:50:43 PM   
CriticNumberOne

Obligatory lol.

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28012
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/10/2013 8:41:59 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Riding In Cars With Boys is a very good film.

(in reply to CriticNumberOne)
Post #: 28013
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/10/2013 8:33:42 PM   
Whistler

This is more of an unpopular action than opinion....

One time I watched Van Helsing twice in a row.

Have at me.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 28014
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/10/2013 9:42:54 PM   
Scott_

quote:

Have at me.

You sick bastard.

FYI, I actually like Van Helsing. Why did you watch it twice in a row? Hugh Jackman is one sexy manly man but not that sexy.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28015
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/10/2013 9:59:43 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Have at me.

Donavan Kurtwood made you do it didnt he?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28016
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/10/2013 11:44:28 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

quote:

Have at me.

You sick bastard.

FYI, I actually like Van Helsing. Why did you watch it twice in a row? Hugh Jackman is one sexy manly man but not that sexy.

It was entirely by accident. Watched it once and when it finished I started chatting with my sister, but it was one of those DVDs that automatically replays the film after a certain amount of time so we just ended up sitting through the whole thing again.

It was pretty glorious.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 28017
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/10/2013 4:14:36 AM   
siegfried

'Drive' is one of the most over rated films of the last decade.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28018
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/10/2013 9:39:49 AM   
CriticNumberOne

quote:

Have at me.

Were you in somebody's basement tied up??

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 28019
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/10/2013 9:41:02 AM   
CriticNumberOne

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

'Drive' is one of the most over rated films of the last decade.

Just no to this-in fact...
Drive is one of the most under rated films of the last decade.

Never disinterest me.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 28020
Page:   <<   < prev  932 933 [934] 935 936   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  932 933 [934] 935 936   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI