Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  931 932 [933] 934 935   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/9/2013 10:35:18 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonezy123

Ok, here goes:

Every film made before 1968 sucks. 2001 A Space Odyssey was the first ever good film.

The only good James Bond is Daniel Craig.

Man of Steel is a terrible film

As is Star Trek Into Darkness

CGI should be banned and replaced by Star Wars-esque models.

Michael Bay is the anti-Christ

The greatest trilogy ever is the Matrix

Oh my god at the first one. Genuinely one of the most terrible things I've read on here lol.

Also, Pain And Gain is actually one of the most awful, self indulgent, incoherent, dull, overly long, unfunny, structurally terrible messes I've ever seen.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 27961
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/9/2013 10:36:59 PM   
Jonezy123

Touché Will. True they did. But the CGI belongs in the Matrix films and the films couldn't exist without it. However films like Man of Steel don't need it, and in fact were probably ruined by it. Nolans Batman trilogy proves you can make great films with minimal use. Don't get me wrong I actually like films like Pacific Rim which can't exist without it CGI, I object to unnecessary use, or overuse. It can limit creativity and I do hark for the days of the original Total Recall when so much was model work and cheap computer effects which were maximised to actually work, admittedly in a now dated way.

2001 is a great film. An unbelievably mind expanding film considering it was released before man stood on the moon.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27962
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/9/2013 10:55:28 PM   
Jonezy123

in retrospect, considering I expect to post many times on this board, I do take back comment one. I'm not a troll, honest. Obviously there were many great films released before 1968. I just don't enjoy most films from these eras. So it should have been worded differently.

And I've thought of an exception; Dr Strangelove. But only because it was way ahead of its time.

I just prefer the films I grew up with in the 80s and 90s, modern films and classics from the 70s; a decade which seems to have produced more classics than any other.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 27963
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/9/2013 10:55:57 PM   
Whistler

quote:

Touché Will. True they did. But the CGI belongs in the Matrix films and the films couldn't exist without it. However films like Man of Steel don't need it, and in fact were probably ruined by it. Nolans Batman trilogy proves you can make great films with minimal use. Don't get me wrong I actually like films like Pacific Rim which can't exist without it CGI, I object to unnecessary use, or overuse. It can limit creativity and I do hark for the days of the original Total Recall when so much was model work and cheap computer effects which were maximised to actually work, admittedly in a now dated way.

But you did say it should be banned. I know you were probably being hyperbolical, but you kinda contradicted yourself there

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 27964
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 10:26:04 AM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

The Fast And Furious series is a much better action movie franchise than the James Bond series.

The Fast & furious franchise is a load of middling to terrible films, slightly redeemed by number 5 then back to another stinker in number 6.
Even the worst of James Bond (A view to a kill IMHO) is better than 2Fast2Furious or Tokyo Drift.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27965
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 10:28:42 AM   
snaze1

quote:

2001 is a great film. An unbelievably mind expanding film considering it was released before man stood on the moon.

I think the problem is just badly done CGI.
Just my opinion, but 2001 is overhyped, overblown, pretentious bollocks!

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 27966
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 2:30:02 PM   
sanchia

As mentioned i am not a fan of 2001 (in my opinion it is a bad film and at the end of the day all views of cinema are opinion). It looks stunning but the very poor pacing and bland acting just drain any iota of enjoyment out of the film.

It is impossible to factually state that films prior to a given date are bad or lacking although you can prefer films which originate after a given date. For example A Matter of Life or Death from 1946 is a masterpiece and that is from 1946 but at the same time I can see why some would dislike it.

On the CGI aspect, really good CGI is the stuff you do not even realise are CGI like the Enterprise Salt cellar in Star Trek, or the bullets zipping through the water in the battle scene of Saving Private Ryan, or pretty much any of the exterior shots in Zodiac.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 27967
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 3:09:45 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

The Fast And Furious series is a much better action movie franchise than the James Bond series.

No. I haven't seen Fast 4 or 6 but out of the others that I have seen I would this only really applies to 5 and even at that it depends on what you want from your action movie. I think Bond wins by pure numbers, because there are enough great Bond movies to cancel out the bad (Moore ) ones

Funnily enough, the latest entries in both franchises were predominantly set in london, but while Skyfall was turgid and boring, Fast 6 was the best action movie since, well...Fast Five!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27968
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 3:17:37 PM   
superdan

quote:

Toy Story wants a word with you.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 27969
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 4:24:15 PM   
justfontaine

I'm not sure whether this is unpopular but I think this year has been a relatively poor year for films. I've seen over 40 films at the cinema alone and I struggle to put together a top ten so far. So many disappointments. Of course this is all subjective but I can't help but feel it has been a below par year up until now.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 27970
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 5:28:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

I'm not sure whether this is unpopular but I think this year has been a relatively poor year for films. I've seen over 40 films at the cinema alone and I struggle to put together a top ten so far. So many disappointments. Of course this is all subjective but I can't help but feel it has been a below par year up until now.

I'm with you, this year has been rubbish. I am struggling to come up with a top ten this year too.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 27971
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 6:34:35 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

So does jason Bourne

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 27972
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 6:35:45 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. I haven't seen Fast 4 or 6 but out of the others that I have seen I would this only really applies to 5 and even at that it depends on what you want from your action movie. I think Bond wins by pure numbers, because there are enough great Bond movies to cancel out the bad (Moore ) ones

Funnily enough, the latest entries in both franchises were predominantly set in london, but while Skyfall was turgid and boring, Fast 6 was the best action movie since, well...Fast Five!

Only if you are 13 years old

Post #: 27973
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 8:43:43 PM   
Jonezy123

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

So does jason Bourne

To date nobody has ever agreed with me on this! But I stand by it. I absolutely love the trilogy; first of all it's a very rare example of proper hardcore sci-fi being filmed, and also being successful. Very advanced ideas in those films. Also a great bad guy in Agent Smith, a superb good guy in Neo and there's even room for a love story throughout the action and adventure. You just can't fault them.

Toy Story is obviously great and named by Dr Kermode as the best. But The Matrix pees all over it from a height ;)

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 27974
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 10:41:13 PM   
sanchia

The first Matrix in particular was a revelation offering something new and invigorating. Sadly in two and three it vanished up its own bottom (although I remember someone on here a few years ago who extolled the virtue of it and explained you did not understand its brilliance unless you had played the game, read the books and virtually everything else out there on the subject).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Jonezy123)
Post #: 27975
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 10:56:38 PM   
UTB

Personally I think The Naked Gun trilogy achieves more than any other trilogy EVER in that I actually want to see them all repeatedly. I don't think there's another (Bourne included, Ultimatum wasn't that great) that does this for me. And before anyone argues, does Ultimatum contain an entire auditorium of people slapping their own forehead in one go creating the greatest smack sound ever? No. So fuck off.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27976
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/9/2013 11:00:41 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Personally I think The Naked Gun trilogy achieves more than any other trilogy EVER in that I actually want to see them all repeatedly. I don't think there's another (Bourne included, Ultimatum wasn't that great) that does this for me. And before anyone argues, does Ultimatum contain an entire auditorium of people slapping their own forehead in one go creating the greatest smack sound ever? No. So fuck off.

It's on the DVD extras

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27977
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 3:03:57 PM   
shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've only seen Fast Fave and Fast 6. They were both AMAZING! in a this is such a bad film but is so massively entertaining I just dont care kind of way. I think Fast 6 is the last film I laughed out loud in delight at by the ridculousness/awesomeness on screen.
I hear that these have really rejuvenated the franchise so I'm not sure if dipping into the previous catalogue would be able to match these two. Recomendations welcome.

However I couldnt ever say they were better than the Bond franchise. They are also 2 completely different animals.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 27978
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 3:17:14 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've only seen Fast Fave and Fast 6. They were both AMAZING! in a this is such a bad film but is so massively entertaining I just dont care kind of way. I think Fast 6 is the last film I laughed out loud in delight at by the ridculousness/awesomeness on screen.
I hear that these have really rejuvenated the franchise so I'm not sure if dipping into the previous catalogue would be able to match these two. Recomendations welcome.

However I couldnt ever say they were better than the Bond franchise. They are also 2 completely different animals.

1, 2, and 3 aren't anything like 4, 5, and 6. The first 3 are more focused on drag racing with some gang stuff mixed in whereas the rest are ... well, just off the leash batshit crazy!!! I think you'd be surprised and disappointed if you watched 1, 2, and 3.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27979
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 5:35:40 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

So much this. (am I allowed to use that phrase at my age )
I enjoyed the Matrix, and the 2 that followed (still can't being myself round to calling them a trilogy) but great trilogies can't have a really weak part IMO.
Not if you compared it to Romero's Dead trilogy, LOTR, Toy Story or Spy Kids (and I mean that, I love those films)

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27980
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 7:46:20 PM   
Mr Gittes

The film is still a western classic and one of John Wayne's best, but the ending of Rio Bravo is a big fat letdown.

SPOILER ALERT

I mean, not ONE casualty on the heroes' side? Not even Stumpy? Come on! The movie's steadily inflating balloon of tension is unceremoniously popped in a ridiculous climax where the heroes defeat the villains in a far too easy, one-hand-tied-behind-back manner. I mean, for crying out loud, they're actually laughing and having a contest of who's the best shot while fighting! Piss off.

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion or not, but people often talk about the film as if it's flawless, whereas they'll slate, say, any Spielberg flick for having a cop-out ending - not that he's innocent of this, of course, but in some cases the criticism is way overblown (especially when compared to Rio Bravo; I think War Of The Worlds is the only one to annoy me more).

Again, it's a classic, but The Wild Bunch kicks its head in.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27981
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 8:47:04 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

To say that the F+F franchise is better than Bond is like saying One Direction are better than The Beatles...

Say what now?

Post #: 27982
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 9:13:21 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

I'm with you, this year has been rubbish. I am struggling to come up with a top ten this year too.

Django Unchained
Les Mis
Mud
Stuck In Love
The Way, Way Back
Lincoln
The Conjuring
Bernie
Stoker
Zero Dark Thirty
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Star Trek Into Darkness
Behind The Candelabra
Kick-Ass 2
The Impossible
This Is The End
Pacific Rim
Oz The Great And Powerful
Flight
The Croods

There's 20. Easy

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27983
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/9/2013 9:21:07 PM   
garvielloken

Leviathan
Only God Forgives
Man of Steel
Upstream Color
A Field in England
Stories We Tell
Zero Dark Thirty
Mud
Pacific Rim
Trance
Stoker
Django Unchained
The Iceman
Wreck-It Ralph

The top 5 are incredible and the rest are excellent so it's been a good year so far. I always find there is 10 to 20 films out each year that I love. Everybody should check out Leviathan, it's amazing.

EDIT - I'm really looking forward to Computer Chess and Frances Ha too. Both of them look very interesting.

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 23/9/2013 9:22:27 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27984
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 1:23:54 PM   
Coyleone

There's definitely been some great films this year. Beyond The Hills is one of the best films since the turn of the decade for me and Before Midnight might be one of my favourites ever.

If we're talking about mainstream films, then yeah, of course it's been pretty poor. The only real mainstream films I've liked are Star Trek and Pacific Rim, the later of which is in my top 10.

Beyond The Hills
Before Midnight
Only God Forgives
Place Beyond The Pines
Field In England

That'd be my top 5 so far, but then there's some others that are fighting for a place in there like To The Wonder, The Way Way Back and New World. Mud, Sleep Tight and Stoker I also liked a lot. I've got so much to catch up on too including all the great sounding foreign movies that have been out so far and stuff like Upstream Colour.

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 24/9/2013 1:24:46 PM >

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 27985
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 1:59:16 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Iron Man 3 is the best Marvel movie yet. It also has the best script/ dialogue of any Marvel movie.

Shane Black is a VASTLY superior writer to Joss Whedon.

The script/ dialogue of The Avengers is not great and pretty embarassing at times. Particularly the moments where our heroes are trying to sound tough.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27986
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 2:13:28 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

I've got so much to catch up on too including all the great sounding foreign movies that have been out so far and stuff like Upstream Colour.

It's totes amazeballs.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27987
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 2:51:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Django Unchained
Les Mis
Mud
Stuck In Love
The Way, Way Back
Lincoln
The Conjuring
Bernie
Stoker
Zero Dark Thirty
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Star Trek Into Darkness
Behind The Candelabra
Kick-Ass 2
The Impossible
This Is The End
Pacific Rim
Oz The Great And Powerful
Flight
The Croods

There's 20. Easy

Two of them in particular can kiss my arse and won't be in my top ten. The rest I have yet to see so my list will change come the end of the year.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27988
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 7:36:09 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Iron Man 3 is the best Marvel movie yet. It also has the best script/ dialogue of any Marvel movie.

Shane Black is a VASTLY superior writer to Joss Whedon.

The script/ dialogue of The Avengers is not great and pretty embarassing at times. Particularly the moments where our heroes are trying to sound tough.

Agree completely with the above. Iron Man 3 was a a blast, a homerun for Black on all counts.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27989
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/9/2013 7:58:03 PM   
sanchia

The main problem I had with Iron Man 3 was it came across a little too much as if they came up with the finale and then wrote the rest of the film around it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 27990
Page:   <<   < prev  931 932 [933] 934 935   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  931 932 [933] 934 935   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI