Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  928 929 [930] 931 932   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/8/2013 1:51:01 PM   
justfontaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

Just some quick thought ones;

Only God Forgives is far too hampered by its own self importance to make a real impact.
Terminator 2 runs out of steam after the break in at Dyson's lab.
Die Hard With A Vengeance is almost as good as the first entry.
There hasn't been hardly any truly successful third acts in big blockbusters and action films in many years
Except for The Raid which is the best action film of the past ten years

Completey disagree.The third acts of blockbusters like Avengers Assemble, The Dark Knight films, Avatar,Dredd, Inception and many more have great pay offs in their third acts.

And The Raid wasnt even the best action movie of last year, let alone the last decade!

Interesting. I see your point, I am a massive fan of The Dark Knight trilogy, however I feel all three have some problems of convolution when it comes to their third acts.

The Avengers, for me, well I never felt any sense of threat in that third act, and despite it being beautifully choreographed and full of humour, it did just feel like slightly like waiting for the inevitable victory while many faceless aliens were knocked off one by one.

Avatar, admittedly, I had very little interest in originally and don't specifically remember much from it so I can't really comment.

Dredd, I did like a lot and Inception's was solid. I just think on the whole, many movies suffer this pitfall, not all, but quite a lot.

As for The Raid. Well, that's just like, your opinion man

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27871
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/8/2013 1:59:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Battleship's third act begins with one of the best scenes in the movie, the Missouri coming out of retirement!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 27872
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/8/2013 4:48:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just some quick thought ones;

Only God Forgives is far too hampered by its own self importance to make a real impact.
Terminator 2 runs out of steam after the break in at Dyson's lab.
Die Hard With A Vengeance is almost as good as the first entry.
There hasn't been hardly any truly successful third acts in big blockbusters and action films in many years
Except for The Raid which is the best action film of the past ten years

Completey disagree.The third acts of blockbusters like Avengers Assemble, The Dark Knight films, Avatar,Dredd, Inception and many more have great pay offs in their third acts.

And The Raid wasnt even the best action movie of last year, let alone the last decade!

Interesting. I see your point, I am a massive fan of The Dark Knight trilogy, however I feel all three have some problems of convolution when it comes to their third acts.

The Avengers, for me, well I never felt any sense of threat in that third act, and despite it being beautifully choreographed and full of humour, it did just feel like slightly like waiting for the inevitable victory while many faceless aliens were knocked off one by one.

Avatar, admittedly, I had very little interest in originally and don't specifically remember much from it so I can't really comment.

Dredd, I did like a lot and Inception's was solid. I just think on the whole, many movies suffer this pitfall, not all, but quite a lot.

As for The Raid. Well, that's just like, your opinion man

The Raid is better than Dredd,by a bloody mile.

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 27873
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/8/2013 5:49:13 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I thought they were both rather lacking. Dredd had some decent performances but was hampered by the limited budget and having to pander to 3D which resulted in some terrible scenes. The Raid I have watched but can remember virtually nothing about other than lots of violence. It is one of the most bland and forgettable films I have watched in a long time and was a big disappointment considering the hype (once again I need to remember never believe the hype).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 27874
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/8/2013 6:15:16 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I thought they were both rather lacking. Dredd had some decent performances but was hampered by the limited budget and having to pander to 3D which resulted in some terrible scenes. The Raid I have watched but can remember virtually nothing about other than lots of violence. It is one of the most bland and forgettable films I have watched in a long time and was a big disappointment considering the hype (once again I need to remember never believe the hype).

I agree with the hype,especially with regards to The Raid.
But I can respect the Raid far more on its choreographers,cinematography and the fact it was done on a (nowadays) relatively low budget for an action film.
When in-comparison to Dredd,which had an unbelievably $45 million dollar budget,I though it was generally uninspiring.
And when you think you have writers like Garland on-board, who usually create some interesting originality in there workings, what I saw on screen was frankly let-down.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27875
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/8/2013 6:39:52 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The Raid I have watched but can remember virtually nothing about other than lots of violence. It is one of the most bland and forgettable films I have watched in a long time and was a big disappointment considering the hype (once again I need to remember never believe the hype).

Phew, thought it was just me.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27876
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/8/2013 12:45:26 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

MAJOR Spoilers for Trance!!!!!!

Trance was pretty enjoyable up until the whole reveal. When we're told that Dr Lamb did everything all for a painting, I was like... meh. Her motives were unconvincing, why would she want her abusive partner back in her life?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27877
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/8/2013 12:47:38 PM   
Whistler

I thought I enjoyed Trance at first, but the more I think about it the less I did.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 27878
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/8/2013 9:36:19 PM   
Mister Coe

Agreed about TRANCE.  Quite enjoyed it on first viewing, but after thinking bout it a bit... nah.

Compare with, say, THE USUAL SUSPECTS where the various twists and turns make you want to watch it again immediately...

Say what now?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27879
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/8/2013 10:31:18 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Agreed about TRANCE.  Quite enjoyed it on first viewing, but after thinking bout it a bit... nah.

Compare with, say, THE USUAL SUSPECTS where the various twists and turns make you want to watch it again immediately...

That's genuinely what I did. Finished watching it, was pretty mind blown and then hit replay.

Drive wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. And Christina Hendricks was criminally underused.

< Message edited by Sumintelligentguy -- 11/8/2013 10:38:41 PM >

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27880
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 1:13:00 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

MAJOR Spoilers for Trance!!!!!!

Trance was pretty enjoyable up until the whole reveal. When we're told that Dr Lamb did everything all for a painting, I was like... meh. Her motives were unconvincing, why would she want her abusive partner back in her life?

I still have no idea what happened in Trance.

No. Idea.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 27881
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 1:15:36 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I'll also say that ONLY GOD FORGIVES was very disappointing after the masterpiece that was DRIVE...

Considering the vitriol the movie is getting, is this unpopular? I love it more the more I think of it, but it's been getting a harsh time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27882
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 3:09:44 PM   
jonson

Another Day to Die Hard was great fun, immensely enjoyable, despite Willis's best efforts to make no effort, the car chase had me laughing like a drain, the random killing of all Russians in the most anti-Russian film since Rocky 4 and that ridiculous helicopter ending.
Its the most fun I've had watching a shit film for years.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27883
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 3:48:44 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Another Day to Die Hard was great fun, immensely enjoyable, despite Willis's best efforts to make no effort, the car chase had me laughing like a drain, the random killing of all Russians in the most anti-Russian film since Rocky 4 and that ridiculous helicopter ending.

It's easily the worst film I've seen this year. Just horrible.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27884
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 4:03:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

A Good Day to Die Hard, the above has a dash of Die Another Day thrown in to the title.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27885
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 4:05:02 PM   
jonson

Oh yeah, got the wrong title I still thoroughly enjoyed it though.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27886
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 4:09:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I also enjoyed it, so that makes two unpopular opinions!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27887
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 9:58:07 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Yep.An absolute disgrace to the series..and i really liked Die Hard 4.

Whats most telling is that Bruce Willis doesnt have a single fight scene in the film.All the other films have a scene where Mclane has a big smackdown with an almost unbeatable opponent.

Mclane vs Karl in Die Hard.
Mclane vs Stuart in Die Hard 2.
Mclane vs Otto in Die Hard 3.
Mclane vs Maggie Q in Die Hard 4 ( That fight in particular is one of my favourite moments in the series,absolutley hilarious! )

But by the time of Die Hard 5, it appears Willis was too lazy to bother with choreographing a fight scene and just wanted to show up, spend as little time on the set as possible and just pick up the check.

No wonder Stallone told him to get lost for Expendables 3.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27888
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 10:04:51 PM   
Mister Coe

After reading about what Kevin Smith said about Willis, I'd be quite happy never to watch a film of his again...

He really does sound like a prick, doesn't he?

Say what now?

Post #: 27889
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/8/2013 10:09:32 PM   
Whistler

It's a shame because he can be such a good actor, but he just doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself. The fact that he isn't doing Expendables 3 because they won't give him $1m a day speaks volumes.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27890
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/8/2013 12:07:02 AM   
Mister Coe

He's a multi-millionaire movie star, who's doubtlessly seen and done things that us normal folks can only dream about and still has infinate possibilities open to him, thanks to his massive bank balance, yet he still looks as bored as someone scanning your shopping in ASDA.

What an utter bell-end.

Say what now?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27891
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/8/2013 7:19:49 AM   
will1000

It's time for a Pauly Shore comeback, bu-ddie!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27892
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/8/2013 7:51:39 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

It's fine not as good as the first three films but like Die Hard 4.0 it does not feel like a Die Hard film just a normal Bruce Willis action film.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 13/8/2013 7:52:20 AM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27893
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/8/2013 8:16:55 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Yep.An absolute disgrace to the series..and i really liked Die Hard 4.

Whats most telling is that Bruce Willis doesnt have a single fight scene in the film.All the other films have a scene where Mclane has a big smackdown with an almost unbeatable opponent.

Mclane vs Karl in Die Hard.
Mclane vs Stuart in Die Hard 2.
Mclane vs Otto in Die Hard 3.
Mclane vs Maggie Q in Die Hard 4 ( That fight in particular is one of my favourite moments in the series,absolutley hilarious! )

But by the time of Die Hard 5, it appears Willis was too lazy to bother with choreographing a fight scene and just wanted to show up, spend as little time on the set as possible and just pick up the check.

No wonder Stallone told him to get lost for Expendables 3.

I don't disagree, Willis is a cock, and I did mention in my original post that he was completely uninterested all the way through, and it showed.
BUT, it was fucking hilariously entertaining. And I love the original Die Hard films as much as anyone, shit I saw every one of them at the cinema! Bruce Willis was a star (and I was admittedly a huge fan of Moonlighting ) but I honestly don't compare films like that. Die Hard was a quarter of a century ago
Did anyone seriously expect a good entry to the Die Hard series? I certainly didn't.
I expected all-out explosions, stupid quips, lots of guns and shooting, a splattering of violence (it was the 15 rated uncut BluRay - whoopee fucking doo) a car chase, an OTT stunt and a few silly references to the original films that I could nod approvingly, smug in the knowledge that only I got it.
And that's exactly what I got. Fun with a capital F. Not an Oscar worthy Die Hard film (to be fair, I can remember thinking the second one was absolute shit compared to the original - what a let down that was. If the internet were around when Die Hard 2 was released it would have exploded)

Anyway, I can't completely defend a bad film, my obviously unpopular opinion was that it was great fun.

Post #: 27894
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/8/2013 11:35:32 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

It's fine not as good as the first three films but like Die Hard 4.0 it does not feel like a Die Hard film just a normal Bruce Willis action film.

It really was fucking wank. Had some really stupid moments throughout the entire thing and I really hated it. I did laugh a lot at the part with the helicopter though - as it crashes into the building (???) and the McClanes jump out, one clearly waving and good ol John giving the bitch the finger.

Seriously, it started with a little promise - the shoot out at the court room, but it was such a shit film.

Edit: My Unpopular opinion is that the new rise of the apes film wasnt all that good. Quite boring despite the odd moment. Maybe 2 star film? Not looking too hopeful about the second, though I really want to like it.

< Message edited by kumar -- 13/8/2013 11:37:34 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 27895
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/8/2013 11:46:59 PM   
musht

A Good Day To Die Hard was a massive is by far the worst entry in series, by a fucking mile and a half. I really wanted to like it and my original review of it in the review thread is quite forgiving but ... there is no forgiving.

But as an action movie, I did enjoy it, the action is certainly better than Red 2 and other films I've seen recently. They clearly made no effort to even try and get to the standard of DH and were just cashing in and because of that I won't be buying it any time soon.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to boxsets, I have the original trilogy in a boxset, 4 separately, and won't be getting 5 and that doesn't bother me which says exactly how feel about the series.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27896
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/8/2013 1:09:08 PM   
snaze1

Mad Max is not that great.
However Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior remains a masterpiece.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27897
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/8/2013 1:56:58 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

I agree with the above.

I will add that Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is a fantastic movie.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 27898
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/8/2013 2:10:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Not a huge fan of the third film either but that second film is just awesome.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 27899
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/8/2013 3:30:26 PM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

I agree with the above.

I will add that Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is a fantastic movie.

On its own merits yes i would agree, it only pales into mediocrity when compared to the film it followed and the fact that the climax is just an inferior copy of the Truck chase from The Road Warrior (Still one of the best chase/action scenes of all time without any CGI)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27900
Page:   <<   < prev  928 929 [930] 931 932   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  928 929 [930] 931 932   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI