Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  927 928 [929] 930 931   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 2:38:35 PM   
Cool Breeze

X Men Origins: Wolverine is better than The Wolverine and First Class.

Edward Norton is the best movie Bruce Banner and the depiction of the Hulk in the 2008 film was way better than its portrayal in The Avengers.

Django Unchained is next to Death Proof as one of Tarantinos weakest films.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 30/7/2013 2:39:08 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27841
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 5:00:15 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Edward Norton is the best movie Bruce Banner and the depiction of the Hulk in the 2008 film was way better than its portrayal in The Avengers.

Django Unchained is next to Death Proof as one of Tarantinos weakest films.

Not seen The Wolverine, but Origins is a truly terrible film, whether or not you consider it to be a waste of pretty much every character involved ("Let's set it in a generic location during the 1980s - not that you'll see many references to the date - despite the fact he's over 100 years old making far more interesting settings available") and an affront to both real and its own logic (adamantium bullets, yay!).

I also don't understand the love First Class gets - it was adequate but rushed. There were hints at something great in there (I really enjoyed the opening scene in German). I preferred The Last Stand over it (just about), and X2 over that.

I think Norton was a decent Banner, but Ruffalo made the role his own. Until The Avengers the 2003 Hulk was my favourite Hulk, in terms of appearance at least. The 2008 incarnation was too muddy-green and sinewy for my liking.

I enjoyed Django Unchained to a degree but I think that was mainly down to Waltz, so it probably is in the lower reaches of QT's work for me too. I still fancy watching it again, which is more than can be said of Death Proof where twice is more than enough: Kurt Russell was the only thing that made it bearable for me.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27842
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 5:16:56 PM   
justfontaine

I don't get the hype around Hot Fuzz at all.

The World's End is alright, I rather enjoyed it but saw it as a satire really, rather than a laugh out loud comedy. Although the ending is a butchered mess.

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27843
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 5:41:10 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I've not seen The Wolverine and I don't have much time for First Class, but Origins is rivalled only by Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance and Catwoman as the worst superhero film since X-Men came out in 2000. It is terrible. I'd rather watch a triple bill of Green Lantern, Blade:Trinity and Elektra than Origins.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27844
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 5:53:26 PM   
Whistler

First Class is the only X-Men film I've liked so far. Just not a fan. The Woverine was alright.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 27845
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 7:14:27 PM   
Chronicle

I kind of enjoyed Spring Breakers (long time since I was so impressed with the filming and style of a movie)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27846
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 9:14:22 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

First Class is the only X-Men film I've liked so far. Just not a fan. The Woverine was alright.

Whoa. What about X2? I'm not a comics guy by any means, but I love it.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27847
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 9:16:43 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Wild At Heart is great!

Agreed.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27848
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 9:22:57 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

Nope. I don't hate it or anything, just doesn't do anything for me.

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 27849
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/7/2013 9:26:37 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

Nope. I don't hate it or anything, just doesn't do anything for me.

Fair enough.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27850
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 7:52:33 AM   
NCC1701A

Beverly Hills Cop II is my favourite of the series.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 27851
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 11:23:23 AM   
Oroborous

Scott Pilgrim falls flat on its face so hard it breaks its own neck. It is the opposite of everything it set out to be. I don't hate it, it just spends so much time and effort trying to be 'fun' and 'cool' and 'quirky' (presumably so teenagers will enjoy it?) that it forgets to attempt to engage in any way that isn't superficial. I haven't got time for something so shallow.

Also, the first two X-Men films are not, and never were anything of noteable worth.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27852
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 11:46:47 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

Beverly Hills Cop II is my favourite of the series.

Mine too! It finds the perfect middle ground between the more relaxed, humour-heavy feel of the first one and the action-orientated, less funny approach of the third. And being a Tony Scott film, it looks the best too.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 27853
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 11:55:22 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oroborous

Scott Pilgrim falls flat on its face so hard it breaks its own neck. It is the opposite of everything it set out to be. I don't hate it, it just spends so much time and effort trying to be 'fun' and 'cool' and 'quirky' (presumably so teenagers will enjoy it?) that it forgets to attempt to engage in any way that isn't superficial. I haven't got time for something so shallow.

But that's exactly what the comics are like. It judges the tone of it perfectly.

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27854
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 6:14:03 PM   
Oroborous

quote:

quote:

But that's exactly what the comics are like. It judges the tone of it perfectly.

So... the comics were shallow, superficial and dull, and it's a good thing that those aspects were translated to the film? I'm sorry, but if the source material is seriously flawed, an adaption shouldn't blindly and purposefully incorporate the same flaws, it should improve on them. You say it judges the tone perfectly, but that's not difficult when it's monotone.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27855
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 6:50:55 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

So... the comics were shallow, superficial and dull, and it's a good thing that those aspects were translated to the film? I'm sorry, but if the source material is seriously flawed, an adaption shouldn't blindly and purposefully incorporate the same flaws, it should improve on them. You say it judges the tone perfectly, but that's not difficult when it's monotone.

Did I source material is seriously flawed? I don't remember saying that.

Obviously I was defending the thing, therefore obviously I was referring to the fun, cool and quirky aspects. The comics are silly, a bit weird and, yes, fun, and the film adopts that tone wonderfully. You can't say the comics are monotone when you haven't read them.

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27856
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 31/7/2013 6:58:23 PM   
sanchia

What works in one medium does not necessarily work the same in another. Personally I find casting issues are my main issue.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27857
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 10:42:19 AM   
Oroborous

quote:

Obviously I was defending the thing, therefore obviously I was referring to the fun, cool and quirky aspects. The comics are silly, a bit weird and, yes, fun, and the film adopts that tone wonderfully. You can't say the comics are monotone when you haven't read them.

Yes, you did say that. I put forward the major flaws I saw in the film, specifically how in it's rigorous attempt to appeal on a superficial level it fails to be engaging, and thus implying that it is not fun and cool (I said it tries to be these things, not that it succeeds). Then you replied saying 'that's exactly what the comics are like', implying that the comics suffer from the same flaws. It's right there in your post. In addition, I have not read the comics, but you have and you said the film judges the tone of them perfectly, and as the film is completely montonous, I was just taking your word for it that the comic must be also.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27858
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 10:52:23 AM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

Yes, you did say that. I put forward the major flaws I saw in the film, specifically how in it's rigorous attempt to appeal on a superficial level it fails to be engaging, and thus implying that it is not fun and cool (I said it tries to be these things, not that it succeeds). Then you replied saying 'that's exactly what the comics are like', implying that the comics suffer from the same flaws. It's right there in your post. In addition, I have not read the comics, but you have and you said the film judges the tone of them perfectly, and as the film is completely montonous, I was just taking your word for it that the comic must be also.

Okay I'll admit my comment was a little ambiguous and I should've highlighted the part I was referring to, but I thought through context it was pretty clear I was defending the film (not to mention that a few posts prior I said I loved it),

If you'll read that earlier post, I said I love Scott Pilgrim but understand why it doesn't work for everybody. I understand why it doesn't work for you - I'm not trying to change your mind - I'm just saying I like the comics and the film, which for me is a good adaptation.

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27859
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 11:35:03 AM   
Oroborous

quote:

Okay I'll admit my comment was a little ambiguous and I should've highlighted the part I was referring to, but I thought through context it was pretty clear I was defending the film (not to mention that a few posts prior I said I loved it),

If you'll read that earlier post, I said I love Scott Pilgrim but understand why it doesn't work for everybody. I understand why it doesn't work for you - I'm not trying to change your mind - I'm just saying I like the comics and the film, which for me is a good adaptation.

It was pretty clear, I was just being a git, I sincerely apologise. Let's move on...

Unpopularity:
-I don't really care all that much for E.T.
-The Hurt Locker is a very underwhelming film
-Sunshine is a bad sci-fi film that shoots itself in the foot
-Taxi Driver is the only scorsese film that left an impression on me
Screw it, I'll do some positive ones...
-Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut) is a worthwhile film (I can't remember exactly how worthwhile, I haven't seen it in a while)
-The Fountain is almost a masterpiece
-The New World is one of Terrence Malick's best films
-Pocahontas is one of the best Disney cartoons
-Peter Jackson's King Kong is a great film
-John Carter isn't a terrible film
-The Transformers series only starting being terrible with the second one
-The original Conan the Barbarian film is great because of it's soundtrack
-Superman Returns and Man of Steel are still a lot better than Superman 2

< Message edited by Oroborous -- 1/8/2013 11:36:03 AM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27860
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 12:42:42 PM   
jcthefirst

On Scott Pilgrim, I view it as a purely visual experience. Nothing else. And on that level, it succeeds in my opinion.

I think this is why I didn't like The World's End. Not enough heart.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27861
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 12:51:16 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

On Scott Pilgrim, I view it as a purely visual experience. Nothing else. And on that level, it succeeds in my opinion.

A film needs to be more than visually impressive to work though, right?

I guess Scott Pilgrim does work on that level, but what does it matter when the central couple are a pair of unlikeable douches?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 1/8/2013 12:52:25 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 27862
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 1:06:49 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

A film needs to be more than visually impressive to work though, right?

I guess Scott Pilgrim does work on that level, but what does it matter when the central couple are a pair of unlikeable douches?

The central romance of the film doesn't really concern me too much, and the secondary charatcers are likeable and funny enough that it outweighs the douchiness of Scott and Ramona.

It's all the stuff around them I like.

But it's all surface. Scratch the surface, and there's just more surface underneath.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27863
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 1:12:04 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

It was pretty clear, I was just being a git, I sincerely apologise. Let's move on...

Unpopularity:
-Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut) is a worthwhile film (I can't remember exactly how worthwhile, I haven't seen it in a while)

Agree with the ones I've highlighted. And I'd almost agree with you regarding Pocahontas [I'd have it in the top 15 Disney animation though not top 10]. Though I'd remove the word 'almost' regarding The Fountain.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27864
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/8/2013 8:56:53 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

Unpopularity:

There are the ones I agree with, some good calls there.

But after the Superman thing... outside, you and me, NOW!

Say what now?

(in reply to Oroborous)
Post #: 27865
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/8/2013 4:56:30 PM   
justfontaine

Just some quick thought ones;

Only God Forgives is far too hampered by its own self importance to make a real impact.
Terminator 2 runs out of steam after the break in at Dyson's lab.
Die Hard With A Vengeance is almost as good as the first entry.
There hasn't been hardly any truly successful third acts in big blockbusters and action films in many years
Except for The Raid which is the best action film of the past ten years

'I always felt it was supposed to be a revival meeting, a circus, a dance hall and a political rally and all those things are rolled into what you present... and that was rock 'n' roll for me'

The Boss

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27866
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/8/2013 12:03:21 AM   
Mister Coe

I'll also say that ONLY GOD FORGIVES was very disappointing after the masterpiece that was DRIVE...

Say what now?

(in reply to justfontaine)
Post #: 27867
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/8/2013 10:20:33 AM   
Oroborous

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

Only God Forgives is far too hampered by its own self importance to make a real impact.
There hasn't been hardly any truly successful third acts in big blockbusters and action films in many years

That's a good point, third acts seem to dissapoint so often... it's why a lot of these 'films' leave a stale taste in the mouth when they're done.

Post #: 27868
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/8/2013 11:38:17 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: justfontaine

Completey disagree.The third acts of blockbusters like Avengers Assemble, The Dark Knight films, Avatar,Dredd, Inception and many more have great pay offs in their third acts.

And The Raid wasnt even the best action movie of last year, let alone the last decade!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 27869
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/8/2013 11:42:38 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I'll also say that ONLY GOD FORGIVES was very disappointing after the masterpiece that was DRIVE...

Yeah. I'll hold out for a second viewing, but it didn't work for me...much as I wanted to love it. It was closer in tone to Valhalla Rising, which I didn't really enjoy.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27870
Page:   <<   < prev  927 928 [929] 930 931   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  927 928 [929] 930 931   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI