Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  917 918 [919] 920 921   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/6/2013 1:45:45 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

I thought, despite it's pacing problems and balance of story with action, Man Of Steel was a fantastic film.

I enjoyed it. The action didn't work so well, but everything involving Clark's childhood and his relationship with his parents was fantastic.

I had basically the opposite view on the film to you. I thought the action was pretty great despite the insane amount of deaths that would have been caused by it, and the origin portions of the film were genuinely really badly handled.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27541
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/6/2013 3:41:09 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

quote:

quote:

I thought, despite it's pacing problems and balance of story with action, Man Of Steel was a fantastic film.

I enjoyed it. The action didn't work so well, but everything involving Clark's childhood and his relationship with his parents was fantastic.

I had basically the opposite view on the film to you. I thought the action was pretty great despite the insane amount of deaths that would have been caused by it, and the origin portions of the film were genuinely really badly handled.

I just thought the action in general was quite soulless. There were some good sequences but it began to bore me. I was a lot more interested in the character stuff, which pretty much disappeared in the last hour.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27542
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/6/2013 7:25:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

Man Of Steel is an abomination and worse than Superman 4.

Hans Zimmer isn't fit to lick John Williams's boots, and him and his Media Ventures clones are ruining film music.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27543
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/6/2013 7:35:13 PM   
horribleives

I find Hanz Zimmer a bit bland usually but I thought the Man Of Steel score was great. The film wasn't perfect (the action got a bit dull and pointless towards the end) but I still liked it and for me it's (potentially unpopular opinion coming up...) easily the best - and least ridiculous - Superman film. Much as I liked the Reeve ones as a bairn, I could never get away with how bloody silly he looked, and was gob-smacked when Bryan Singer went out of his way to make him look even more daft.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 27544
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/6/2013 9:48:37 PM   
Le Tenia

Man of Steel would've been better if Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt were in it.

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27545
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/6/2013 10:26:01 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just thought the action in general was quite soulless. There were some good sequences but it began to bore me. I was a lot more interested in the character stuff, which pretty much disappeared in the last hour.

I couldn't have put it better myself. My opinion, 100%!

Say what now?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27546
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/6/2013 7:51:46 PM   
horribleives

Aye, me too. The short, sharp bursts of action during the first hour and a bit were great, but the third act got a bit too Avengers Assemble or (shudder) Dark Of The Moon for my liking.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 21/6/2013 7:52:23 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27547
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/6/2013 8:24:56 PM   
sanchia

I was of the opinion if it had injected even a small amount of humour into the mix it would have improved the film massively. If anything it lacked personality and the latter half in particular was a tad bland (all out action with little else). Also Jonathan Kent was a dick..

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27548
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/6/2013 8:42:40 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I was of the opinion if it had injected even a small amount of humour into the mix it would have improved the film massively. If anything it lacked personality and the latter half in particular was a tad bland (all out action with little else). Also Jonathan Kent was a dick..

I was expecting to think that but I really liked the serious (and okay, occasionally po-faced) tone. You're right though - I think the only attempts at humour (from what I recall) were the bit with the truck outside the diner, some of the interrogation room sequence and the final scene with the female soldier. None of which were remotely laugh-out-loud but that was just fine by me - I think I'm one of the minority who think there's far too much quippery in blockbusters these days.
Speaking of that bit with the arsehole in the diner: was the arsehole him who played Huckleberry Finn in the '70s (or '80s) tv series?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27549
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/6/2013 11:30:02 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

There was humour in Man Of Steel.It was just more subtle than usual.

If you want comedy, go watch Iron Man 3, then again dont as its shit.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27550
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/6/2013 11:33:44 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

go watch Iron Man 3, then again dont as its shit.

Fasc... Oh... Oh, nevermind.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27551
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/6/2013 11:42:46 AM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

There was humour in Man Of Steel.It was just more subtle than usual.

There were about three instances (and some stuff thrown in the background which you would not see unless freeze framed). It still doesn't stop the latter half lacking personality.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 27552
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/6/2013 1:45:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Iron Man 3 >>>>>>>>> Star Trek Into Christmas, Darkness, whatever.

(I have yet to see Man of Steel so I couldn't make the comic book movie comparison)

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 27553
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/6/2013 3:26:55 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Iron Man 3 >>>>>>>>> Star Trek Into Christmas, Darkness, whatever.

(I have yet to see Man of Steel so I couldn't make the comic book movie comparison)

I'd say IM 3 is the least flawed, in that at most there were only a couple of things I didn't like but still really liked the film a lot. ST and MOS... enjoyable films but lots of issues there.

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 22/6/2013 3:27:13 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27554
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:28:26 AM   
shool

Iron Man 3 was average for me.
Star Trek into Darkness was very very good.
Man of Steel was out of this world amazing for me. I was so expecting it not to be. Maybe thats what helped.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 27555
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:34:33 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Man Of Steel is an abomination and worse than Superman 4.

Hans Zimmer isn't fit to lick John Williams's boots, and him and his Media Ventures clones are ruining film music.

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 27556
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 8:50:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

SPOILERS FOR IRON MAN 3.....

Iron Man should not be in the Avengers sequels since its pretty clear Stark retires from being Iron Man at the end of his third solo movie.

Also the character has gone from being a likeable rogue from the first film to an annoying self obsessed wanker in the follow up films.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27557
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:31:06 PM   
Mister Coe

OK, I'll really get some shit for this one, but I saw WORLD WAR Z today and I liked it better than MAN OF STEEL...

* ducks for cover *

Say what now?

Post #: 27558
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:35:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Those two are reversed for me

Haven't seen Man Of Steel yet.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27559
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:36:32 PM   
Whistler

quote:

OK, I'll really get some shit for this one, but I saw WORLD WAR Z today and I liked it better than MAN OF STEEL...

* ducks for cover *

Based on much of the reaction to the two films so far, that might not be so unpopular. World War Z, as shit as it looked and as much as it strayed from the book, was actually quite fun.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 24/6/2013 11:39:20 PM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27560
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:40:57 PM   
Shifty Bench

This is no reflection on the film by me as I haven't seen it but I liked this-

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27561
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/6/2013 11:45:34 PM   
Whistler

It's pretty much true. I couldn't figure out why they obtained the rights to the book only to completely ignore everything in it, then I figured they must have just wanted a cool ass title for a zombie flick.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27562
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 1:16:05 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

SPOILERS FOR IRON MAN 3.....

Iron Man should not be in the Avengers sequels since its pretty clear Stark retires from being Iron Man at the end of his third solo movie.

Also the character has gone from being a likeable rogue from the first film to an annoying self obsessed wanker in the follow up films.

SPOILERS FOR IRON MAN 3

I don't think he quit being Iron Man. He had the shrapnel removed and doesn't need the reactor in his chest now, but he doesn't need that for the suit. We've seen various people use Tony's suits before and none of them had reactors in their chests. He also showed that he doesn't actually need to be in the suit to power it. We can have the suit in the action scenes and not necessarily need Tony to be there now.

It's obvious he isn't going to stop, I think. Sure, he destroyed all of his existing suits, but don't forget that they also made a point of him picking Dummy up from his ruined home, and his Voiceover did reiterate the "I am Iron Man" line.

I think the opposite is true about his character development. Iron Man 3 made it clear that he cares more about Pepper than himself. A first it appeared that he was shutting her out and acting selfishly, but he was trying to deal with PTSD and his way of doing that was to throw himself into his work, which is why he went from having MK7 of the suit (in The Avengers) to having The MK42.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 27563
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 10:47:23 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Man of Steel was out of this world amazing for me. I was so expecting it not to be. Maybe thats what helped.

Agree have not seen Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel yet.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27564
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 12:54:23 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Into Darkness is my favourite of the three easily. I enjoyed Man Of Steel and Iron Man 3 about equally, but in very different ways.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 27565
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 1:28:45 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

Into Darkness is my favourite of the three easily. I enjoyed Man Of Steel and Iron Man 3 about equally, but in very different ways.

Its a pity Man of Steel didn't have the same great quality CGi as IM3 and the utterly superb lead bad guy from Into Darkness.
Iron man 3 is the best of a bad lot! At least I didn't come of the cinema completely indifferent or crushingly disappointed :(
Still , t a few more Summer blockbusters to come... Pacific Rim next !!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27566
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 2:16:19 PM   
Coyleone

I must be the only person on here to think the action and the last hour or so of MOS was the best part. Mainly because the first half and the origin sections were so bad it could only get better . But seriously, Superman punching other aliens through buildings n' stuff was the only enjoyment I got out of it really, and I did enjoy that quite a lot. The superman aspects I like well enough to put it over IM3. IM3 wasn't bad like this was in parts, but it didn't have anything 'great', it was a mediocre film. I thought MOS had enough great moments for me to want to watch it again. Non of the great moments include anything from the pre-Superman portion of the film for me though which I guess fits in with this thread.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27567
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 2:26:36 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

I must be the only person on here to think the action and the last hour or so of MOS was the best part. Mainly because the first half and the origin sections were so bad it could only get better . But seriously, Superman punching other aliens through buildings n' stuff was the only enjoyment I got out of it really, and I did enjoy that quite a lot. The superman aspects I like well enough to put it over IM3. IM3 wasn't bad like this was in parts, but it didn't have anything 'great', it was a mediocre film. I thought MOS had enough great moments for me to want to watch it again. Non of the great moments include anything from the pre-Superman portion of the film for me though which I guess fits in with this thread.

Consistency is the key! IM3 and indeed all the IM movies have consistently excellent CGi. Where as Man of Steel feels like multiple different effects teams made different parts with no central quality control. The effects for the heat vision was excellent, as where SOME of the Krypton scenes and a couple of the Superman in flight parts, but the effects for say the Superman Vs world machine tentacle thing and many of the Superman flying or moving fast where Harry Potter quidich bad.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 25/6/2013 2:32:23 PM >

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27568
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 2:32:26 PM   
shool

I think you guys watched a different movie to me.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27569
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/6/2013 3:15:32 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I cant understand the criticism of the movie for having no humour.

It's a serious take on the character and everyone knew this going in. Were people really expecting a knee slapper ?

There are moments of light heartedness and attempts at humour at different points of the film i.e truck incident, the S scene with Lois, Supes bringing down a Drone, "hang my cape" and the swooning female soldier, random soldier calling him Superman to his superior, also the scene at the end when Clark enters the Daily Planet can't remember exactly but there is some "bants" going on between some of the reporters.

There are other moments as well and I'm not sure why they are being overlooked other than not really resonating on that level but then thats not really their argument.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 25/6/2013 3:16:11 PM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27570
Page:   <<   < prev  917 918 [919] 920 921   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  917 918 [919] 920 921   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI