Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  916 917 [918] 919 920   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:20:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

Sorry, you also mentioned 'those who actually have religion or belief in such things' which I thought you meant my mother does.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27511
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:35:26 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Sorry, you also mentioned 'those who actually have religion or belief in such things' which I thought you meant my mother does.

I think I phrased it poorly (or punctuated it badly), I have a tendency to babble when tired.

I really wish I had not remembered that Kindergarten Cop moment as I had to wash my hair just due to the memory of it.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 8/6/2013 11:36:39 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27512
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:47:05 PM   
Mister Coe

Wow, there are other folks who weren't amazed by THE EXORCIST... I genuinely thought I'd be slagged off to hell and back for that one...

Let's put a little twist... EXORCIST 3 is way better than the original, despite having precious little to do with it...

Say what now?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27513
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:52:35 PM   
sanchia

I have to say that halloween 3 is a bit rubbish though.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27514
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/6/2013 12:25:26 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have to say that halloween 3 is a bit rubbish though.

Its better than Halloween 2, 4, 5, 6 and any of the remakes...

Say what now?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27515
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/6/2013 8:59:19 AM   
sanchia

I doubt if it is unpopular to call the remakes an abomination.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27516
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/6/2013 11:27:36 AM   
Hood_Man

I don't know how unpopular this actually is, since I did actually like the film, but when Argo came out last year I saw it twice and both times I thought it was really good.

However, when I started reading other people's feedback, and especially when the awards system kicked in, I seriously started to wonder if I'd seen another film to everyone else. It was enjoyable, but I didn't find it that tense

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27517
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/6/2013 11:44:13 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I don't know how unpopular this actually is, since I did actually like the film, but when Argo came out last year I saw it twice and both times I thought it was really good.

However, when I started reading other people's feedback, and especially when the awards system kicked in, I seriously started to wonder if I'd seen another film to everyone else. It was enjoyable, but I didn't find it that tense

The last act was tense,though you knew they were going to get out.

Like you I enjoyed it but I did think it was going to be more raw and rough.

And lets be honest here though I rate Affleck as a good director/story teller I didnt think his performance merited the accolades that went along with the film ,in general.He didn't really need to widen his range.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 9/6/2013 11:51:35 AM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27518
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/6/2013 11:52:36 AM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChudMonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

Here goes:

1. Sucker Punch is a good movie
2. Revenge Of The Sith is way better than Return Of The Jedi
3. Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit - never needed to be made into movies
4. Happy Gilmore is the best golf related sports movie...not Caddyshack
5. ...in fact Adam Sandler is nowhere near as bad as people make out
6. Zero Dark Thirty really isn't very good
7. Matthew McConaughey may be having a resurgence but only Mud and Magic Mike are good films from his recent output
8. Goodfellas is better than The Godfather
9. The Terminator is the best movie ever made....Terminator 2's ending is one of the worst in movie history
10. Samuel L. Jackson's presence in the Star Wars prequels is one of the major reasons they didn't work
11. Nic Cage is always...always brilliant
12. Iron Man 3 is better than Avengers Assemble
13. The Dark Knight Rises is better than The Dark Knight (in fact Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight too)
14. Death Proof is highly underrated

Matthew M... not seen MUD or MAGIC MIKE, but have you seen KILLER JOE..? I also have a sneaky liking for A TIME TO KILL and his cameo in TROPIC THUNDER...

Samuel L Jackson... not sure how a little cameo affects the rest of those films? Explanation?

With regards to Sam Jackson I just find that every time he's on screen I just think "ok Sam Jackson is in this in a non-sweary role" and it really takes me out of the movie...the whole purple lightsaber thing as well annoys me it's like Lucas was pandering to Tarantino fans. I love Tarantino...I love Sam Jackson...I just don't think they have a place in Star Wars

Recently I've come across some articles discussing this very issue, and the concensus is George Lucas did something rather cynical in order to attract black movie-goers to the prequels (not that there should be any delineation in such matters, but I'm sure Hollywood has their focus groups and marketers informing them of various demographics) by shoe-horning in the biggest black star in the movies at that moment in time, so the thought was if black people saw Sam Jackson was in Star Wars they'd flock to the cinema to see these new Star Wars movies, which if you think about it is a rather insidious suggestion, i.e. black people only like watching fellow blacks in movies, regardless of merit or skill of the actors involved.

The mistake Lucas made was to cast Sam Jackson as a good guy in the prequels. What Lucas should've done is written a juicy villain role (or at least one that suggested shades of grey) that played up to Jackson's strengths at that time in his career IMO.

Blaming Sam Jackson for being a major reason which contributed to the prequels not working is rather harsh; if that IS what you meant. I'd say George Lucas is way ahead in the queue for attributing blame for the prequels before Jackson can ever be considered. If not, then I apologise for the assumption.

So have Marvel made a mistake in casting Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? Are they just '' pandering to Tarantino fans '' in casting him?

Marvel's casting of Sam Jackson as Nick Fury was directly a result of The Ultimates series of comic books basing their version of Fury on Jackson....nothing to do with pandering to Tarantino fans.

Lucas' casting of Sam Jackson in Star Wars wasn't the main reason for the problems of the prequel trilogy but it certainly didn't help. I really do think his casting in those films was cynical and really doesn't work and, for me (and the point of this thread is to discuss unpopular opinions that you have) really ruins the films

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27519
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/6/2013 12:19:20 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

1. Sucker Punch is a good movie
2. Revenge Of The Sith is way better than Return Of The Jedi
3. Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit - never needed to be made into movies
4. Happy Gilmore is the best golf related sports movie...not Caddyshack
5. ...in fact Adam Sandler is nowhere near as bad as people make out
6. Zero Dark Thirty really isn't very good
7. Matthew McConaughey may be having a resurgence but only Mud and Magic Mike are good films from his recent output
8. Goodfellas is better than The Godfather
9. The Terminator is the best movie ever made....Terminator 2's ending is one of the worst in movie history
10. Samuel L. Jackson's presence in the Star Wars prequels is one of the major reasons they didn't work
11. Nic Cage is always...always brilliant
12. Iron Man 3 is better than Avengers Assemble
13. The Dark Knight Rises is better than The Dark Knight (in fact Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight too)
14. Death Proof is highly underrated

Matthew M... not seen MUD or MAGIC MIKE, but have you seen KILLER JOE..? I also have a sneaky liking for A TIME TO KILL and his cameo in TROPIC THUNDER...

Samuel L Jackson... not sure how a little cameo affects the rest of those films? Explanation?

With regards to Sam Jackson I just find that every time he's on screen I just think "ok Sam Jackson is in this in a non-sweary role" and it really takes me out of the movie...the whole purple lightsaber thing as well annoys me it's like Lucas was pandering to Tarantino fans. I love Tarantino...I love Sam Jackson...I just don't think they have a place in Star Wars

Recently I've come across some articles discussing this very issue, and the concensus is George Lucas did something rather cynical in order to attract black movie-goers to the prequels (not that there should be any delineation in such matters, but I'm sure Hollywood has their focus groups and marketers informing them of various demographics) by shoe-horning in the biggest black star in the movies at that moment in time, so the thought was if black people saw Sam Jackson was in Star Wars they'd flock to the cinema to see these new Star Wars movies, which if you think about it is a rather insidious suggestion, i.e. black people only like watching fellow blacks in movies, regardless of merit or skill of the actors involved.

The mistake Lucas made was to cast Sam Jackson as a good guy in the prequels. What Lucas should've done is written a juicy villain role (or at least one that suggested shades of grey) that played up to Jackson's strengths at that time in his career IMO.

Blaming Sam Jackson for being a major reason which contributed to the prequels not working is rather harsh; if that IS what you meant. I'd say George Lucas is way ahead in the queue for attributing blame for the prequels before Jackson can ever be considered. If not, then I apologise for the assumption.

So have Marvel made a mistake in casting Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? Are they just '' pandering to Tarantino fans '' in casting him?

Marvel's casting of Sam Jackson as Nick Fury was directly a result of The Ultimates series of comic books basing their version of Fury on Jackson....nothing to do with pandering to Tarantino fans.

Lucas' casting of Sam Jackson in Star Wars wasn't the main reason for the problems of the prequel trilogy but it certainly didn't help. I really do think his casting in those films was cynical and really doesn't work and, for me (and the point of this thread is to discuss unpopular opinions that you have) really ruins the films

I dont see how Lucas's casting in his films were cynical.He went for respected actors rather than '' movie stars '' mostly.In Jacksons case, he cast him after SLJ went to every effort on talk shows and interviews to make it clear that he was a massive SW fan and would love to be involved even in a small way.

But then i loved the prequels and Mace Windu is one of my favourite characters.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 27520
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/6/2013 3:53:18 AM   
Peacefront

Man of Steel is going to own in the action department.

Edit - please see Empire rules about using posts to advertise your own sites/pieces of work off-site.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 11/6/2013 11:56:03 PM >

Post #: 27521
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/6/2013 2:10:26 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I'm one of the people who was raving about it when I first saw it. Watched it a second time on DVD and didn't find it nearly as good. It's still a really good film though like you said.

I can't think of anything I would have preferred to win all the awards it did though, if only because I think Affleck is a great director and seeing him go from ridiculed actor to award winning director is an ace little story.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27522
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/6/2013 3:16:51 PM   
The Big Guy

Adam Sandler is funny.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27523
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/6/2013 4:00:58 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Big Guy

Adam Sandler is funny.

Adam Sandler WAS funny

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to The Big Guy)
Post #: 27524
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/6/2013 4:09:57 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

Adam Sandler is funny.

Adam Sandler WAS funny

Adam Sandler CAN BE funny.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27525
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/6/2013 8:29:27 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

quote:

Adam Sandler is funny.

Adam Sandler WAS funny

Adam Sandler was NEVER funny.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27526
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/6/2013 1:27:28 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

quote:

Adam Sandler is funny.

Adam Sandler WAS funny

Adam Sandler was NEVER funny.

You have no soul

Post #: 27527
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/6/2013 1:33:12 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peacefront

Man of Steel is going to own in the action department. https://howmuchaction.blogspot.com tells you how much action is in superhero movies

Quite.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Peacefront)
Post #: 27528
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/6/2013 9:46:53 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Sitting waiting for The Iceman to start the other day when up comes a trailer for the film Bula Quo starring Francis Rossi & Rick Parfitt of Status Quo fame.
MY GOD! talk about plumbing new depths the ammount of shaking heads in the auddience was enough to tell you where this'll end up what with Craig Fairbrass in toe & John Lovitz (remember him?) just needed Danny Dyer for the full set.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27529
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/6/2013 10:01:04 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Sitting waiting for The Iceman to start the other day when up comes a trailer for the film Bula Quo starring Francis Rossi & Rick Parfitt of Status Quo fame.
MY GOD! talk about plumbing new depths the ammount of shaking heads in the auddience was enough to tell you where this'll end up what with Craig Fairbrass in toe & John Lovitz (remember him?) just needed Danny Dyer for the full set.

I just watched the trailer out of interest...bad idea.
It does look terribly awful.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 13/6/2013 10:20:49 AM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 27530
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/6/2013 12:04:47 AM   
Mister Coe

I really, really want to be a fly on the wall when someone went 'Hey, let's make a Status Quo movie!'

In 2013!

Seriously, where the fuck is the audience for this thing?

Say what now?

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 27531
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/6/2013 12:34:01 PM   
Le Tenia

quote:

I really, really want to be a fly on the wall when someone went 'Hey, let's make a Status Quo movie!'

In 2013!

I know.
I'm a huge Quo fan, but this is ill judged especially after the triumphant tour in march with the rest of the original members where they managed to get their credibility back in the eyes of the hard core fans.

Won't go and see it but no doubt my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll catch it on DVD.

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27532
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 10:34:33 AM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

In 2013!

They probably caught the financier when he was high on cleaning fumes. He thought he'd written a cheque for 'bowling' but it turns out it's actually for the result of 'bowelling'.

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27533
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 11:44:02 AM   
MonsterCat

As far as I'm concerned, Scorsese, Scott and Nolan may as well stop making movies after Bula Quo hits the streets.

This will be a cornerstone of cinematic history.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 27534
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 11:47:46 AM   
UTB

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27535
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 11:49:54 AM   
MonsterCat

We'll see who's laughing when Parfitt and Rossi are inundated with accolades and critical acclaim, OK?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27536
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 12:11:12 PM   
giggity

I thought, despite it's pacing problems and balance of story with action, Man Of Steel was a fantastic film.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27537
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 12:11:18 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I am now vaguely interested in this film.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27538
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 1:35:42 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

I thought, despite it's pacing problems and balance of story with action, Man Of Steel was a fantastic film.

I hope your eyebrows fall off.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 27539
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/6/2013 2:08:54 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

I enjoyed it. The action didn't work so well, but everything involving Clark's childhood and his relationship with his parents was fantastic.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27540
Page:   <<   < prev  916 917 [918] 919 920   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  916 917 [918] 919 920   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI