Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  915 916 [917] 918 919   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/6/2013 9:37:39 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChudMonkey

Here goes:

1. Sucker Punch is a good movie
2. Revenge Of The Sith is way better than Return Of The Jedi
3. Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit - never needed to be made into movies
4. Happy Gilmore is the best golf related sports movie...not Caddyshack
5. ...in fact Adam Sandler is nowhere near as bad as people make out
6. Zero Dark Thirty really isn't very good
7. Matthew McConaughey may be having a resurgence but only Mud and Magic Mike are good films from his recent output
8. Goodfellas is better than The Godfather
9. The Terminator is the best movie ever made....Terminator 2's ending is one of the worst in movie history
10. Samuel L. Jackson's presence in the Star Wars prequels is one of the major reasons they didn't work
11. Nic Cage is always...always brilliant
12. Iron Man 3 is better than Avengers Assemble
13. The Dark Knight Rises is better than The Dark Knight (in fact Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight too)
14. Death Proof is highly underrated

OK, ChudMonkey, here's what I think...

Sucker Punch... totally agree, some great action scenes and a great soundtrack, it doesn't always hold together but a pretty decent watch. Looks great on Blu-Ray.

Revenge Of The Sith... Much better than Jedi. The only time you can say that about prequels vs originals...

LOTR / TB... I think we might be about to fall out...

Happy Gilmore better than Caddyshack... we're DEFFO gonna fall out!

Adam Sandler... never got the love for this guy, to be honest... but then again, some people don't like Chevy Chase, so fair enough.

Zero Dark 30... totally agree, it's OK, but no better than that, a decent enough war picture...

Matthew M... not seen MUD or MAGIC MIKE, but have you seen KILLER JOE..? I also have a sneaky liking for A TIME TO KILL and his cameo in TROPIC THUNDER...

GODFATHER vs GOODFELLAS... to be honest, this could go either way, depending on what mood I'm in that day... both masterpieces. A winner, whatever you decide!

The Terminator... yes! T2 was enjoyable but not a patch on the original!

Samuel L Jackson... not sure how a little cameo affects the rest of those films? Explanation?

Nic Cage... not ALWAYS brilliant but OFTEN brilliant... it's a shame that he'll do practically any film that's offered to him nowadays... see also a certain Mr De Niro...

Iron Man 3... good movie, but the extended CGI action scenes bored me a bit, whereas the ones from AA had humour in them that kept me interested...

The Dark Knight Rises... NO! I didn't like that movie much, too many plot holes and bizarre logic, IMO. But I'll also say that I thought Batman Begins was better than TDK...

Death Proof... totally agree. A great movie.

Anyway, that's what I thought, if anyone else has any opinions, love to hear them!

Say what now?

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 27481
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/6/2013 9:46:30 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Sucker Punch... totally agree, some great action scenes and a great soundtrack, it doesn't always hold together but a pretty decent watch. Looks great on Blu-Ray.

Agree on the action scenes but NOOOOOOOOOOOOT on the soundtrack. Every single song used is THE most obvious song that could possibly be used.

Or is that the point? I dunno. Perhaps Snyder is having a laugh with it all.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27482
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/6/2013 10:16:11 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Agree on the action scenes but NOOOOOOOOOOOOT on the soundtrack. Every single song used is THE most obvious song that could possibly be used.

Or is that the point? I dunno. Perhaps Snyder is having a laugh with it all.

Oh, come on! Skunk Anansie doing SEARCH AND DESTROY? What's not to like?

Say what now?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27483
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/6/2013 10:45:35 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

7. Matthew McConaughey may be having a resurgence but only Mud and Magic Mike are good films from his recent output
9. The Terminator is the best movie ever made....Terminator 2's ending is one of the worst in movie history
10. Samuel L. Jackson's presence in the Star Wars prequels is one of the major reasons they didn't work
13. The Dark Knight Rises is better than The Dark Knight (in fact Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight too)

OK, ChudMonkey, here's what I think...

Revenge Of The Sith... Much better than Jedi. The only time you can say that about prequels vs originals...

LOTR / TB... I think we might be about to fall out...

Happy Gilmore better than Caddyshack... we're DEFFO gonna fall out!

Adam Sandler... never got the love for this guy, to be honest... but then again, some people don't like Chevy Chase, so fair enough.

Zero Dark 30... totally agree, it's OK, but no better than that, a decent enough war picture...

Matthew M... not seen MUD or MAGIC MIKE, but have you seen KILLER JOE..? I also have a sneaky liking for A TIME TO KILL and his cameo in TROPIC THUNDER...

GODFATHER vs GOODFELLAS... to be honest, this could go either way, depending on what mood I'm in that day... both masterpieces. A winner, whatever you decide!

The Terminator... yes! T2 was enjoyable but not a patch on the original!

Samuel L Jackson... not sure how a little cameo affects the rest of those films? Explanation?

Nic Cage... not ALWAYS brilliant but OFTEN brilliant... it's a shame that he'll do practically any film that's offered to him nowadays... see also a certain Mr De Niro...

Iron Man 3... good movie, but the extended CGI action scenes bored me a bit, whereas the ones from AA had humour in them that kept me interested...

The Dark Knight Rises... NO! I didn't like that movie much, too many plot holes and bizarre logic, IMO. But I'll also say that I thought Batman Begins was better than TDK...

Death Proof... totally agree. A great movie.

Anyway, that's what I thought, if anyone else has any opinions, love to hear them!

Disagree with much of this, but it's nice to see some Death Proof fans around here. They're hard to come by

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27484
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/6/2013 8:51:57 AM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

Yeah I've seen Killer Joe and apart from Matty M I really didn't like it...his performance as in The Paperboy is exceptional but the movies are just dire...Killer Joe for one has that annoying fella from Speed Racer over acting all the way through it and a fight scene where the gaps between fist and flesh are as obvious as the Grand Canyon

With regards to Sam Jackson I just find that every time he's on screen I just think "ok Sam Jackson is in this in a non-sweary role" and it really takes me out of the movie...the whole purple lightsaber thing as well annoys me it's like Lucas was pandering to Tarantino fans. I love Tarantino...I love Sam Jackson...I just don't think they have a place in Star Wars

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27485
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/6/2013 11:16:23 AM   
cyrusDCmonster

my big one tends to be:
- Avengers Assemble is overrated. honestly didn't care much for the film after enjoying most of the previous marvel entries
- Godfather 3 wasn't quite as terrible as most people made out
- Terminator Salvation was better than Terminator 3
- Star Trek Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek series to date.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 27486
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/6/2013 1:20:42 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

This is probably going to be very unpopular. Bullit has a great car chase and steve mcqueen is a terrific actor but the film itself is not that great.

Agree, though I would go further and say McQueen wasn't all that great either. Either way, McQueen has done tons of stuff that is much better, and the film is just an average cop thriller.

Agreed. I sold my copy of Bullit recently because I only watch it for the (awesome) car chase, which I can just YouTube any time I feel the need anyway. I've seen the film quite a few times and find the rest of it quite forgettable.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 27487
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/6/2013 2:17:01 PM   
Coyleone

Yay, other people who at least liked Death Proof

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 27488
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/6/2013 9:45:16 PM   
Mister Coe

That's a fair enough answer ChudMonkey... personally, I'm always happy to see SLJ... but I think I know what you're saying...

But dissing CADDYSHACK... unforgiveable...

Say what now?

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27489
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 7/6/2013 10:12:49 AM   
ChudMonkey

quote:

But dissing CADDYSHACK... unforgiveable...

Don't get me wrong I still love Caddyshack! It's just Happy Gilmore is better....

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27490
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 9:54:58 AM   
Dave Oz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

With regards to Sam Jackson I just find that every time he's on screen I just think "ok Sam Jackson is in this in a non-sweary role" and it really takes me out of the movie...the whole purple lightsaber thing as well annoys me it's like Lucas was pandering to Tarantino fans. I love Tarantino...I love Sam Jackson...I just don't think they have a place in Star Wars

Recently I've come across some articles discussing this very issue, and the concensus is George Lucas did something rather cynical in order to attract black movie-goers to the prequels (not that there should be any delineation in such matters, but I'm sure Hollywood has their focus groups and marketers informing them of various demographics) by shoe-horning in the biggest black star in the movies at that moment in time, so the thought was if black people saw Sam Jackson was in Star Wars they'd flock to the cinema to see these new Star Wars movies, which if you think about it is a rather insidious suggestion, i.e. black people only like watching fellow blacks in movies, regardless of merit or skill of the actors involved.

The mistake Lucas made was to cast Sam Jackson as a good guy in the prequels. What Lucas should've done is written a juicy villain role (or at least one that suggested shades of grey) that played up to Jackson's strengths at that time in his career IMO.

Blaming Sam Jackson for being a major reason which contributed to the prequels not working is rather harsh; if that IS what you meant. I'd say George Lucas is way ahead in the queue for attributing blame for the prequels before Jackson can ever be considered. If not, then I apologise for the assumption.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 8/6/2013 10:08:57 AM >

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 27491
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:09:31 AM   
Chronicle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Yay, other people who at least liked Death Proof

I also enjoyed it very much. Stuntman Mike is one of the coolest moviecharacters around

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 27492
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:35:26 AM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

Recently I've come across some articles discussing this very issue, and the concensus is George Lucas did something rather cynical in order to attract black movie-goers to the prequels (not that there should be any delineation in such matters, but I'm sure Hollywood has their focus groups and marketers informing them of various demographics) by shoe-horning in the biggest black star in the movies at that moment in time, so the thought was if black people saw Sam Jackson was in Star Wars they'd flock to the cinema to see these new Star Wars movies, which if you think about it is a rather insidious suggestion, i.e. black people only like watching fellow blacks in movies, regardless of merit or skill of the actors involved.

The mistake Lucas made was to cast Sam Jackson as a good guy in the prequels. What Lucas should've done is written a juicy villain role (or at least one that suggested shades of grey) that played up to Jackson's strengths at that time in his career IMO.

Blaming Sam Jackson for being a major reason which contributed to the prequels not working is rather harsh; if that IS what you meant. I'd say George Lucas is way ahead in the queue for attributing blame for the prequels before Jackson can ever be considered. If not, then I apologise for the assumption.

So have Marvel made a mistake in casting Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? Are they just '' pandering to Tarantino fans '' in casting him?

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27493
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:43:30 AM   
Dave Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

So have Marvel made a mistake in casting Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? Are they just '' pandering to Tarantino fans '' in casting him?

Was that directed at me, mate? I never said that.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27494
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 1:15:44 PM   
Aquitaine

The most unpopular opinions I have had and to foreworn, there is no malice or anger intended in these opinions:

Star Wars prequels - so glad Disney will make sequels, that is always what I wanted to see - what happens, where does the universe go from here? The prequels felt and looked far more juvenile IMO (let's see what Disney and JJ do) and ruined Vader for me. Yes, I still have the original 'restored' trilogy on VHS, the ones before the 'new scenes, new sounds, new special effects'.

Aliens vs. Predator Requiem - I enjoyed it. More of a Predator film than the first which was more of an Alien film. Sure, would have loved the story transplanted to a future colony - as would have been good with the first - but a definite improvement. IMO the Predator was more classic in both look, feel and mannerisms (call it copy/homage but I say 'birds of a feather'), the Aliens more 'Cameron', the humans were of no interest to me, just fodder, so limited characterisation was fine - I tend to cringe at too much in any event, gore and action was turned up to 11 (watch 'Spinal Tap'), one BIG refreshing thing was that nobody was safe - kids, babies, pregnant women - just like it should be as the aliens especially have no morals or qualms and that's the one thing in the monster movies I have seen that bugs me: adults are fair game but the aforementioned are hardly ever in any danger - luckily. My opinions on why it was quite good - have fun with them. :D

Transformers Trilogy (as it stands) - Awful waste of money and great effects work on flawed and immature material IMO. Still, made a penny. I like a good shallow effects romp too - 'Battleship' for instance - but nothing appealed to me in those films other than the effects.

Bloodrayne is one of my favourite films, hah got you! XD

Nothing else really stirs up anything other than those three opinions. Oh, four, 'Battleship' was quite good, an interesting take realised well on an absurd adaptation idea.

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27495
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 3:12:47 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aquitaine

The most unpopular opinions I have had and to foreworn, there is no malice or anger intended in these opinions:

Star Wars prequels - so glad Disney will make sequels, that is always what I wanted to see - what happens, where does the universe go from here? The prequels felt and looked far more juvenile IMO (let's see what Disney and JJ do) and ruined Vader for me. Yes, I still have the original 'restored' trilogy on VHS, the ones before the 'new scenes, new sounds, new special effects'.

Aliens vs. Predator Requiem - I enjoyed it. More of a Predator film than the first which was more of an Alien film. Sure, would have loved the story transplanted to a future colony - as would have been good with the first - but a definite improvement. IMO the Predator was more classic in both look, feel and mannerisms (call it copy/homage but I say 'birds of a feather'), the Aliens more 'Cameron', the humans were of no interest to me, just fodder, so limited characterisation was fine - I tend to cringe at too much in any event, gore and action was turned up to 11 (watch 'Spinal Tap'), one BIG refreshing thing was that nobody was safe - kids, babies, pregnant women - just like it should be as the aliens especially have no morals or qualms and that's the one thing in the monster movies I have seen that bugs me: adults are fair game but the aforementioned are hardly ever in any danger - luckily. My opinions on why it was quite good - have fun with them. :D

Transformers Trilogy (as it stands) - Awful waste of money and great effects work on flawed and immature material IMO. Still, made a penny. I like a good shallow effects romp too - 'Battleship' for instance - but nothing appealed to me in those films other than the effects.

Bloodrayne is one of my favourite films, hah got you! XD

Nothing else really stirs up anything other than those three opinions. Oh, four, 'Battleship' was quite good, an interesting take realised well on an absurd adaptation idea.

Not an unpopular opinion to think that the Transformers films are crap.They are pretty much derided by critics and on this forum ( Except by Donavan Kurtwood )

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Aquitaine)
Post #: 27496
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 3:17:46 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here goes:

Anyone casting Sam Jackson nowadays is making a mistake.  All his does is phone in the same lazy performance.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27497
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:19:14 PM   
Mister Coe

Not sure where the dislike of SLJ comes from, but OK, whatever you think about his other films, he's a great Nick Fury.

OK, see how you stand with this one... I like THE OMEN far better than THE EXORCIST.

Christ, I hope Mark Kermode doesn't read these forums, otherwise I'm in for a tough time...

Say what now?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27498
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:33:33 PM   
Whistler

The Omen is great...but nothing can touch The Exorcist.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27499
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:40:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

Never really liked The Exorcist, always thought it was overrated. I love The Omen though, the original obviously, not that rubbish remake.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27500
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:45:00 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Never really liked The Exorcist, always thought it was overrated.

The power of Christ compels you, Shifty.

Seriously, I'm disappointed. Not because you hate The Exorcist, but because you said overrated.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27501
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:45:24 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Christ, I hope Mark Kermode doesn't read these forums, otherwise I'm in for a tough time...

I bet he's a very active member indeed, and a big fan of Roger Moore to boot. This "Kermode" is nothing more than a public persona.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27502
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:45:38 PM   
sanchia

I have to agree with Shifty, I had always heard how terrifying The Exorcist was and how people had fainted whilst watching it and such, but when I watched it I almost laughed once or twice due to how over the top and ridiculous it was. The Omen however had something of a creeping dread involved and there was a sense of something behind the scenes which was unstoppable and permeating which really made it creepy.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 27503
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:47:34 PM   
MonsterCat

I can certainly understand why people wouldn't like it.

For me it retains the power to creep me the fuck out, but that's probably because I'm a big girl.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27504
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:48:01 PM   
Hood_Man

I've tried watching The Exorcist, and to be honest I was just too bored to carry on.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27505
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:52:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
Seriously, I'm disappointed. Not because you hate The Exorcist, but because you said overrated.

I disappointed myself, too

(I don't 'hate' it, just don't think it is all that special)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have to agree with Shifty

Sorry

quote:

I had always heard how terrifying The Exorcist was and how people had fainted whilst watching it and such

My mum hates the film, it terrifies her because when she saw in the cinema back in the 70s, a woman threw herself off the balcony. She has been freaked out by it ever since and refuses to watch it.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27506
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 10:57:40 PM   
sanchia

quote:

My mum hates the film, it terrifies her because when she saw in the cinema back in the 70s, a woman threw herself off the balcony. She has been freaked out by it ever since and refuses to watch it.

I suppose there is that association and those who actually have religion or belief in such things probably find it more frightening than I would.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 27507
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:02:58 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

I suppose there is that association and those who actually have religion or belief in such things probably find it more frightening than I would.

Well you say that, but I absolutely don't believe in demons or any such things, yet they still creep me the hell out in movies.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 8/6/2013 11:03:28 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27508
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:03:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

I think it was just seeing a woman die in front of her freaked her out. She isn't a very religious person.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27509
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/6/2013 11:05:19 PM   
sanchia

quote:

I think it was just seeing a woman die in front of her freaked her out. She isn't a very religious person.

That would be the association. It would have me freaking out a bit, similarly whenever i see Kindergarten Cop I have flashbacks to the bloke behind me continuously spraying me as he sneezed when I was watching it in the cinema,

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 27510
Page:   <<   < prev  915 916 [917] 918 919   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  915 916 [917] 918 919   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI