Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  914 915 [916] 917 918   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 12:23:18 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I didn't even mention the budget or practical effects vs CGI, I simply said I didn't enjoy the film.

Sorry, yes, others mentioned the budget and the effects.

quote:

I know the budget was low; that wasn't the problem. The problem was that it wasn't scary, gripping or entertaining, but the idea has the potential to be all three and more.

But it is all three, to me and millions of others. Although, actually, I always found it more disturbing than scary, especially in terms of tone and theme.

quote:

Sure there's every chance that if it were remade it would be shit, but in the right hands it could be great. Just look at Evil Dead, it wasn't better than the original but it still turned out pretty good, and it wasn't full of CGI was it?

Well, the fact that it might turn out like the Evil Dead remake in terms of it being "good, but not as good as the original" doesn't seem like a good incentive to me. A Hellraiser remake has actually been on the books for years and even Barker himself has said that he would be personally involved, so that could be a good thing. But there's just no way it could top the sheer breathtaking audacity and visceral brilliance of the original, a horror movie that had nothing to lose and didn't compromise in any way. A modern remake might not shy away from the gore and brutality but that would be a decision made through committee as opposed to an independent film-maker who was using his 'gut instinct' (pun intended). It wouldn't have the same flair or originality and I just don't think it could compete. It would be too self-conscious about what it was doing, about ticking boxes and satisfying certain demographics, while the original was not hampered by that stuff. A remake could be competent, sure, but much like all other recent horror-classic remakes it'll end up in the cultural bargain-bin while the originals will still be studied and discussed for generations to come.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 22/5/2013 12:32:43 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27451
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 2:14:20 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I was in Smiths the other day & saw they had the Little White Lies film mag in with Superman on the front cover I was about too take it to the till when I saw the price 6!!! & thought better of it. How long's it been that price as I rarely if ever by it.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 27452
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 9:11:49 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I was in Smiths the other day & saw they had the Little White Lies film mag in with Superman on the front cover I was about too take it to the till when I saw the price 6!!! & thought better of it. How long's it been that price as I rarely if ever by it.

That is a flippin' disgrace and all, but why post it in this thread?

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 27453
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/5/2013 2:23:41 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

That is a flippin' disgrace and all, but why post it in this thread?

Yeah, at least throw a potentially unpopular opinion in there such as '...and I felt that price was justified.'

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 27454
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/5/2013 11:14:07 PM   
jimavfc

I like Batman Forever,apart from the Nolan trilogy i think its the best one.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 27455
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/5/2013 8:30:21 PM   
will1000

The Star Wars franchise should be left alone! Leave it as the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and the animated shows that bridged the gap between the two. No more please.

...donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

(in reply to jimavfc)
Post #: 27456
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/5/2013 8:41:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

The Star Wars franchise should be left alone! Leave it as the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and the animated shows that bridged the gap between the two. No more please.

I'd go as far as saying that the Prequel trilogy was a story that didnt really need to be told.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27457
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 25/5/2013 10:23:08 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I'd go as far as saying that the Prequel trilogy was a story that didnt really need to be told.

quote:

Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute.
Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo.

This should have been a clear sign that evil was about to be unleashed upon a cherished childhood memory. I was once a real Star Wars fan now I don't really like the films any more and the fiddling with the originals has wrecked them for me.

If you are going to write prequels at least have the good grace to watch the originals again so you don't have massive continuity errors in between the two.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 25/5/2013 10:24:08 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 27458
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 26/5/2013 7:31:45 PM   
Cool Breeze

Chris Pine is a better Jim Kirk than William Shatner.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27459
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 26/5/2013 7:56:07 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny Wortzik

quote:

Okay, here's one that's probably unpopular...

Hellraiser should be remade. I watched it only for the first time recently, and I thought the premise was great but it was poorly executed. Didn't grip me, thrill me or entertain me, and it was quite a slog to get to the end. Not what I was expecting at all. YET, I think the idea has a lot of potential. Haven't seen any of the sequels either, maybe they're better.

This a wind up?

Certainly one of the daftest things that I've read here. The sequels cost a bit more to make, and they were shit. The original was made on a shoe-string, sure, but this is where it triumphs when you see the results. Creativity over economy. A first-time director and producer. Astonishing practical effects and make-up effects that would probably be replaced with hollow CG shit in the remake. No, there's a rawness, a bleak beauty in the visual imagery, and a grim visceral intensity there that just cannot be replicated by some shit big-budget clone. The Cenobites only appear very briefly here in the original, and that adds to the power and terror of their mystique. I suspect a remake would have over-elaborate CG monstrosities whizzing about for most of the film.

The only other version of Hellraiser I'd like to see is one that restores some of the English accents that were illogically dubbed for American audiences.

I didn't even mention the budget or practical effects vs CGI, I simply said I didn't enjoy the film. I know the budget was low; that wasn't the problem. The problem was that it wasn't scary, gripping or entertaining, but the idea has the potential to be all three and more. Sure there's every chance that if it were remade it would be shit, but in the right hands it could be great. Just look at Evil Dead, it wasn't better than the original but it still turned out pretty good, and it wasn't full of CGI was it?

What we really need is for Clive Barker to hurry up and finish The Scarlet Gospels, and give Pinhead a better send-off after the franchise went straight-to-DVD.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27460
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 26/5/2013 9:15:18 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Chris Pine is a better Jim Kirk than William Shatner.

Care to elaborate? Not disagreeing with you, but since there haven't been any other Kirks other than Shatner, I'm keen to see your workings.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27461
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/5/2013 8:33:55 PM   
bydabeachman

Here are a few qualms I have with popular opinion:

- The Amazing Spider-Man was a complete chick flick and spidey was just transitioned by a ball thrown at his face which he obviously catches and/or him taking off his mask revealing his identity.

- The Grudge 2 should never have been made.

- The only good thing about the Great Gatsby was Leo DiCaprio.

- I thought the portrayal of the Mandrin was brilliant in Iron Man 3 but wish they would have followed the comic book outline of Extremis.

- Hangover was completely overrated but made well by the third installment, making the last one the best!

- Come on Rob Zombie, we KNOW you can make a bad ass horror film, now make it already!!

- I am sick of the full CG films that offer nothing by the end, just a waste of time.

- I hate how everything is dumbed down in films nowadays.

- David Lynch we know you are brilliant but how about you use it in a constructive way.

There is just a few of them, i have many more but feel that is enough for now.

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27462
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/5/2013 9:09:01 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: bydabeachman

- The only good thing about the Great Gatsby was Leo DiCaprio

I wouldn't say he was the only good thing, but he was definitely the best thing about it.

quote:

- Come on Rob Zombie, we KNOW you can make a bad ass horror film, now make it already!!

It genuinely isn't possible.

quote:

- I am sick of the full CG films that offer nothing by the end, just a waste of time.

A bit ambiguous, but I'm not sure disliking CGI is particularly unpopular.

quote:

- I hate how everything is dumbed down in films nowadays.

Again, I'm not sure how dumbing down films is popular.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 27463
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/5/2013 12:23:17 PM   
horribleives

I'd happily welcome a new Hellraiser adaptation, preferably by a filmmaker with a modicum of style and invention this time. Apart from the memorable cenobite designs, the original's pretty woeful - Barker might be a great novelist but he can't direct for shit. And as for the acting...jesus. I watched it a year or two ago and the whole grubby, amateurish mess reminded me of long forgotten Jimmy Nail/Timothy Spall horror vehicle Dream Demon.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27464
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/5/2013 12:28:57 PM   
MonsterCat

Didn't Barker direct that one film with Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap?

Yeah, that was rubbish. Hell (arf!) of a writer, though.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 30/5/2013 12:29:30 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27465
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/5/2013 12:57:28 PM   
horribleives

Dunno, the only other film of his I've seen is Nightbreed which is also appalling. However I will concede that the nonsensical version released in 1990 wasn't the film he intended to make - I'd be intrigued to see this director's cut Empire did a feature on last year.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27466
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/5/2013 1:04:43 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Didn't Barker direct that one film with Sam Beckett from Quantum Leap?

Yeah, that was rubbish. Hell (arf!) of a writer, though.

Lord Of Illusions. I'm sure I have seen that film in both its theatrical and Director's cut forms and I could neither tell you the difference between them or much of what actually happens in either version.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27467
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/6/2013 1:42:08 PM   
sanchia

The zither music in The Third Man is really intrusive and damaging to what is actually going on in the film.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27468
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/6/2013 3:07:47 PM   
jeanyy

Pit Stop is a story about two gay guys in a small town. The story is simple, no action scene, no beautiful movie scene, local actors...

Comparing to other movies Pit Stop is a simple but brings out the relationship between man and man, woman and man.

Even the movie has the awards but how popular it can be? I have doubt.

Links:
http://pitstopthemovie.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pitstopthemovie

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27469
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 3:45:55 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeanyy

Pit Stop is a story about two gay guys in a small town. The story is simple, no action scene, no beautiful movie scene, local actors...

Comparing to other movies Pit Stop is a simple but brings out the relationship between man and man, woman and man.

Even the movie has the awards but how popular it can be? I have doubt.

Links:
http://pitstopthemovie.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pitstopthemovie

That sounds like the shittest story about two gay guys ever.

(in reply to jeanyy)
Post #: 27470
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 9:44:44 AM   
sanchia

Only because you get your films with plain brown wrappers.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 27471
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 10:14:03 AM   
DancingClown

Hellraiser is a brilliant piece of film-making. I'm reiterating this because that inexplicably appears to be an unpopular opinion round here at the moment.

Anyone who disagrees deserves a kick in the cunt.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27472
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 2:36:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

If you want to watch a Hellraiser for the 00s then Marytrs is your movie.

Remember Hellraiser isn't about Pinhead...the title of the film isn't in reference to him....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 27473
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 2:53:29 PM   
Whistler

I hope not 'cause I hated Martyrs... It's well made, but damn does it make you feel like shit.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27474
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 3:06:03 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Hellraiser is a brilliant piece of film-making. I'm reiterating this because that inexplicably appears to be an unpopular opinion round here at the moment.

The combination of "kick in the cunt" and this smiley made me lol for some reason.

Thanks for that.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 27475
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 6:42:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

The Iron Man films are, on reflection, not very good at all.The series was far too sarcastic in its approach.Indeed during the third movie, you almost expect the actors to wink to the camera.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27476
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 7:51:44 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

Consider my cunt kicked.

I love Hellraiser (that music!) but I think that that whole Hellraiser world needs further investigation and not within the confines of a low-budget 80's movie. You can do amazing things with CGI nowadays, even on a low budget... you'd deffo do something better than a cruddy rotating random shape with a few black rays sweeping off of it... (yes, HELLRAISER 2, I'm looking at you...)

I'd love for a flashy newcomer who loves the original, doesn't give a fuck about what rating it gets and, most importantly, who Clive Barker trusts to grab the reins of this series (which, let's face it, hasn't been any good since the original) and give us something amazing.

Say what now?

Post #: 27477
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 8:05:19 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

quote:

Consider my cunt kicked.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27478
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/6/2013 11:08:53 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Can't speak for the others but for many other reasons as well as my dislike of Hellraiser you're absolutely correct.

Post #: 27479
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/6/2013 1:46:17 PM   
ChudMonkey

Here goes:

1. Sucker Punch is a good movie
2. Revenge Of The Sith is way better than Return Of The Jedi
3. Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit - never needed to be made into movies
4. Happy Gilmore is the best golf related sports movie...not Caddyshack
5. ...in fact Adam Sandler is nowhere near as bad as people make out
6. Zero Dark Thirty really isn't very good
7. Matthew McConaughey may be having a resurgence but only Mud and Magic Mike are good films from his recent output
8. Goodfellas is better than The Godfather
9. The Terminator is the best movie ever made....Terminator 2's ending is one of the worst in movie history
10. Samuel L. Jackson's presence in the Star Wars prequels is one of the major reasons they didn't work
11. Nic Cage is always...always brilliant
12. Iron Man 3 is better than Avengers Assemble
13. The Dark Knight Rises is better than The Dark Knight (in fact Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight too)
14. Death Proof is highly underrated

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

Post #: 27480
Page:   <<   < prev  914 915 [916] 917 918   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  914 915 [916] 917 918   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI