Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  913 914 [915] 916 917   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 17/5/2013 8:15:22 PM   
Dave Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

Ewan McGregor. Don't get it at all (apart from Trainspotting I guess).

How about his roles in the likes of The Ghost, Little Voice, Big Fish, The Impossible, Brassed Off, and those other two Boyle appearances in Shalow Grave and A Life Less Ordinary?

I've seen those films you've mentioned apart from Shallow Grave, and personally, I'm left rather cold by the majority of his performances. His profile as an actor, who seems to be up for most of the decent roles in mainstream movies, is much higher than what he delivers on-screen. Although Salmon Fishing in the Yemen was good, but again I think that had more to do with Emily Blunt than it did with McGregor. Just an opinion of mine! Hope I won't be lynched.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 17/5/2013 10:48:42 PM >

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 27421
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 9:25:10 AM   
ElephantBoy

Don't know find him to be a very subtle character actor he is able to play what seem like cheesy roles, but due to his humour and charm the characters have a true spark to them. Since Trainspotting he has had a very up and down time of it, its true.

Thought he was great in the smaller role of the two in the Impossible.

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27422
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 12:56:47 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

All Peter Jackson movies are terrible........yes terrible.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 27423
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 1:04:29 PM   
Whistler

What's your reasoning?

(in reply to Sonny Wortzik)
Post #: 27424
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 1:08:44 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

Its just my opinion

when i watch a movie, i want to be entertained, his movies dont entertain me. The constant forcing of visual effects and unlikable characters in his movies really spoils them for me. I also find most of them go on for far too long and get pretty boring throughout.

Im just not a big fan of his work.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27425
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 1:13:53 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny Wortzik

Its just my opinion

when i watch a movie, i want to be entertained, his movies dont entertain me. The constant forcing of visual effects and unlikable characters in his movies really spoils them for me. I also find most of them go on for far too long and get pretty boring throughout.

Im just not a big fan of his work.

In that case then maybe his gross out horror work will be more to your liking, now thats entertainment!

Post #: 27426
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 1:17:23 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

quote:

In that case then maybe his gross out horror work will be more to your liking, now thats entertainment!

Noooo, didnt enjoy them, although i kind of enjoyed the frighteners (which i forgot about)

Post #: 27427
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 18/5/2013 3:11:31 PM   
Dave Oz

quote:

Don't know find him to be a very subtle character actor he is able to play what seem like cheesy roles, but due to his humour and charm the characters have a true spark to them. Since Trainspotting he has had a very up and down time of it, its true.

Thought he was great in the smaller role of the two in the Impossible.

You know what, I'll re-watch McGregor's back catalog and re-assess why I feel this way about him.

Post #: 27428
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/5/2013 4:55:07 PM   
drews

The middle third of the Avengers is a slow, dragging, snooze-fest.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27429
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/5/2013 5:05:19 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

the Avengers is a slow, dragging, snooze-fest.

Indeed.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 27430
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/5/2013 6:06:34 PM   
thedrin

quote:

It's a popular film, but I'm pretty confident that most fans of the film think the middle third drags.

< Message edited by thedrin -- 19/5/2013 6:07:51 PM >

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 27431
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/5/2013 9:09:47 PM   
Mister Coe

I really enjoyed The Avengers, but it really could have done with twenty minutes chopping out here and there, and not necessarily in the middle. I'd say the same for IRON MAN 3.

But that's pretty much the standard for big summer blockbusters nowadays. I have no problem with long films, my absolute favourite film of all time is ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA and that's four hours long in it's uncut version, and I could watch it anytime, but how many times in recent years have we watched a film and enjoyed it but thought, at the end of it, 'yeah, that was good, but there was no need for it to be dragged out as much as it was...'

Say what now?

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 27432
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/5/2013 9:36:01 PM   
Whistler

I heard that the first cut of Iron Man 3 ran at 3 hours. That's only what a friend told me, so it might be baloney, but oocha...

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27433
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/5/2013 10:53:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Completely disagree.I loved every minute of that film and the time flew by.The middle section of the film with the team meeting each other together has some of my favourite scenes.I especially like the scenes between Cap and Stark where it looks like they are nearly going to come to blows with each other.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 27434
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/5/2013 9:01:41 AM   
Chronicle

I also didn't think the Avengers was too long. If you want a good chemistry with al those characters, you're kind of obliged to make a longer movie. But I do agree with the fact that these days films are, too often, very long. I haven't seen it yet but I heard Gatsby was 2,5 hours. I can't imagine how this movie can last that long without being a bit boring.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27435
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/5/2013 10:27:17 AM   
ElephantBoy

Thing is when you have so many lead characters the film has to be somewhere between 2 or 2 and a half hours.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 27436
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/5/2013 12:45:37 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

agreed! not so unpopular afterall! ;)

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 27437
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/5/2013 1:02:10 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

quote:

Noooo, The Avengers was entertaining throughout

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 27438
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 3:55:52 PM   
Chronicle

This is probably going to be very unpopular. Bullit has a great car chase and steve mcqueen is a terrific actor but the film itself is not that great.

Post #: 27439
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 4:56:34 PM   
Dave Oz

I watched The Avengers for the first time a few days ago and I rather liked it. It had the potential to be a bit of a mess but it thankfully didn't end up being so. The whole blue-cube-spark thing was a bit bleurgh, but I guess it's because I've forgotten the plot points of the respective Captain America and Thor movies.

I think that middle third did need to be slowed down (as it was), because without that emotional involvement / quiet moments between the characters the sense of any future triumph on their part would've seemed hollow or incomplete.

What I did find lacking was the lack of jeopardy the main characters were placed in even during the climax of the film. There was no point during the film where I thought "OMG! They won't make it!!!". Everyone seemed a bit too invincible for my liking, which is understandable for the likes of the Hulk, Thor, and Cap America, but when the apparently human characters of Hawkeye and Black Widow seem impervious to any harm that doesn't sit right with me.

But overall a very well executed film.

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 27440
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 5:45:00 PM   
Whistler

Okay, here's one that's probably unpopular...

Hellraiser should be remade. I watched it only for the first time recently, and I thought the premise was great but it was poorly executed. Didn't grip me, thrill me or entertain me, and it was quite a slog to get to the end. Not what I was expecting at all. YET, I think the idea has a lot of potential. Haven't seen any of the sequels either, maybe they're better.

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27441
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 8:34:14 PM   
Sonny Wortzik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Hellraiser should be remade. I watched it only for the first time recently, and I thought the premise was great but it was poorly executed. Didn't grip me, thrill me or entertain me, and it was quite a slog to get to the end. Not what I was expecting at all. YET, I think the idea has a lot of potential. Haven't seen any of the sequels either, maybe they're better.

This a wind up?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27442
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 9:12:48 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

This a wind up?

Actually, I'm going to cautiously go along with Whistler... the concept of Hellraiser is bloody great but, christ, that budget was low. Even for the 80's, some of the scenes were painfully cheap. What if we got a true lavish look at the Cenobites (spelling?) and their hell dimension and what it did to our world? Just don't make it some silly kiddie-friendly reboot...

Not everything that came out of the 80's can't be improved. Oh, and find a part for Ashley Laurence, she was a big crush of mine back then...

< Message edited by Mister Coe -- 21/5/2013 9:14:33 PM >

Say what now?

Post #: 27443
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 9:19:03 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'm not entirely sure they could make Hellraiser kiddie-friendly based on the premise alone.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27444
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 21/5/2013 9:39:37 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I'm not entirely sure they could make Hellraiser kiddie-friendly based on the premise alone.

Yeah, but the original premise would be slung-out in favour of some generic monsters chasing bad (but very pretty) teenage actors around, with some truly weak death scenes...

Say what now?

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27445
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 10:54:12 AM   
MattTheBadger

On a similar note, I was re-reading Clive Barker's 'Books of Blood' the other week and thought how much potential the story 'Rawhead Rex' had to be a film. Genuinely didn't realise at that point that this had already happened but found the trailer on YouTube and felt pretty aghast. Surely one for revisiting - get Ben Wheatley on the job.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27446
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 11:19:45 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chronicle

This is probably going to be very unpopular. Bullit has a great car chase and steve mcqueen is a terrific actor but the film itself is not that great.

Agree, though I would go further and say McQueen wasn't all that great either. Either way, McQueen has done tons of stuff that is much better, and the film is just an average cop thriller.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 27447
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 11:45:10 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

This a wind up?

Certainly one of the daftest things that I've read here. The sequels cost a bit more to make, and they were shit. The original was made on a shoe-string, sure, but this is where it triumphs when you see the results. Creativity over economy. A first-time director and producer. Astonishing practical effects and make-up effects that would probably be replaced with hollow CG shit in the remake. No, there's a rawness, a bleak beauty in the visual imagery, and a grim visceral intensity there that just cannot be replicated by some shit big-budget clone. The Cenobites only appear very briefly here in the original, and that adds to the power and terror of their mystique. I suspect a remake would have over-elaborate CG monstrosities whizzing about for most of the film. And their version of Hell is only briefly glimpsed and heard and is all the more powerful because of it, a place that is clearly characterised by order and discipline as opposed to chaos.

The only other version of Hellraiser I'd like to see is one that restores some of the English accents that were illogically dubbed for American audiences.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 22/5/2013 11:50:38 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 27448
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 11:52:07 AM   
DancingClown

Just realised that I ventured into OP against my better judgement. To misquote Henry Jones Sr I feel like a pilgrim in an unholy land.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 27449
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/5/2013 12:01:04 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

quote:

This a wind up?

Certainly one of the daftest things that I've read here. The sequels cost a bit more to make, and they were shit. The original was made on a shoe-string, sure, but this is where it triumphs when you see the results. Creativity over economy. A first-time director and producer. Astonishing practical effects and make-up effects that would probably be replaced with hollow CG shit in the remake. No, there's a rawness, a bleak beauty in the visual imagery, and a grim visceral intensity there that just cannot be replicated by some shit big-budget clone. The Cenobites only appear very briefly here in the original, and that adds to the power and terror of their mystique. I suspect a remake would have over-elaborate CG monstrosities whizzing about for most of the film.

The only other version of Hellraiser I'd like to see is one that restores some of the English accents that were illogically dubbed for American audiences.

I didn't even mention the budget or practical effects vs CGI, I simply said I didn't enjoy the film. I know the budget was low; that wasn't the problem. The problem was that it wasn't scary, gripping or entertaining, but the idea has the potential to be all three and more. Sure there's every chance that if it were remade it would be shit, but in the right hands it could be great. Just look at Evil Dead, it wasn't better than the original but it still turned out pretty good, and it wasn't full of CGI was it?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 27450
Page:   <<   < prev  913 914 [915] 916 917   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  913 914 [915] 916 917   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI