Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  908 909 [910] 911 912   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 1:16:08 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

I like JJ, but... it's such an uninspiring obvious choice for director in a lot of ways.

I initially thought that when JJ was announced,I also thought that JJ would be slightly tired of doing another franchise SCI-FI.
But,I have a funny feeling that this wont be the typical JJ abrams films we've seen in his recent career.I think this might be something a little more different interms of visual style and tone.

Yeah, instead of ripping off Spielberg this time he'll be ripping off Lucas.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 27271
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 12:53:46 PM   
will1000

Carrying on from my 'I haven't seen/don't care about Avatar' comment above, I feel the same nonchalance towards The Hobbit. I missed it at the cinema and probably won't watch it on DVD. I just can't get excited for it.
Perhaps it's just me. I'm kind of turned off by big over-bloated Hollywood CGI-fest blockbusters. Perversely though, I am super excited for Pacific Rim...I hope hope hope it doesn't suck!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27272
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 1:42:20 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

If you're turned up by the big CGI laden hollywood movies i can understand your lack of interest in The Hobbit. It's your actual interest in Pacific Rim that makes less sense!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27273
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 5:21:12 PM   
will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

If you're turned up by the big CGI laden hollywood movies i can understand your lack of interest in The Hobbit. It's your actual interest in Pacific Rim that makes less sense!

I know! I think that Pacific Rim looks cool and I like big screen monsters (I saw Cloverfield at the cinema twice and still think it's one of the better FX films of the last 10 years)! The Hobbot just isn't cool (to me).

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27274
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 10:42:20 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

quote:

I know! I think that Pacific Rim looks cool and I like big screen monsters (I saw Cloverfield at the cinema twice and still think it's one of the better FX films of the last 10 years)! The Hobbot just isn't cool (to me).

Cloverfield kicks ass. I know loads of people who don't like it, never understood why.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27275
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 10:43:17 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

quote:

Cloverfield kicks ass. I know loads of people who don't like it, never understood why.

I really liked Cloverfield. The shaky-cam made me feel a little sick when I watched it at the cinema but it's much better on a smaller screen.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27276
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 10:54:39 PM   
Whistler

Well shaky-cam is one of my most loathed filmmaking techniques, but weirdly it's never bothered me in Cloverfield. I think it annoys me more when it's not found footage, because you have to kind of expect it with that, but when it's a 'regular' film there's just no need to jerk the camera around so much.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 27277
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 11:05:05 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really liked Cloverfield. The shaky-cam made me feel a little sick when I watched it at the cinema but it's much better on a smaller screen.

I disliked Cloverfield when I first saw it, not because of the shaky cam but because of the amount of times I found myself shouting POINT THE CAMERA AT THE FUCKING MONSTER YOU CUNTSPANIEL.

But over time I have come to quite like it.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 27278
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 4/4/2013 11:14:45 PM   
Hood_Man

What bugged me about Cloverfield (and still does in fact), is that all the hard work that was put into maintaining the realism of the hidden footage narrative is undone whenever someone opens their mouth.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27279
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 12:48:57 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

Well shaky-cam is one of my most loathed filmmaking techniques, but weirdly it's never bothered me in Cloverfield. I think it annoys me more when it's not found footage, because you have to kind of expect it with that, but when it's a 'regular' film there's just no need to jerk the camera around so much.

In fairness, it might have bothered me so much because I ended up being sat so close to the film. I agree, though, it's an annoying technique and especially when there's no actual reason for it. Found footage can get away with it but it seems ridiculously out of place otherwise.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27280
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 8:55:45 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

Because the characters were so annoying. Cloverfield for me was such a let down the best thing about it was the poster.
As for the Hobbit I was so bored by it but I was never a big fan of the Lord of the rings.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27281
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 9:44:13 AM   
Timon

My thoughts on the future of the Terminator franchise:

Arnie should be kept away from it - he was too old to play the T-800 ten years ago.
It shouldn't feature time travel
It should continue what was started in Salvation - yeah, that's right. I liked it!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 27282
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 10:53:03 AM   
Deviation

TS was an extremely interesting direction for the franchise especially since T2 and 95% of T3 where simply re-doings of the same thing, then they fuck it up when it becomes the dullest thing ever after the first 40 minutes.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/4/2013 11:07:32 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27283
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 11:13:32 AM   
UTB

Yeah the first half of TS is brilliant, I think. The helicopter crash sequence is one of the best action sequences in recent memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbl8hjMhQng

edit: I remembered it being longer... but its still awesome

< Message edited by UTB -- 5/4/2013 11:15:16 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27284
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 11:16:48 AM   
Deviation

I prefer the first 40 minutes over most of Terminator 2.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27285
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 3:10:43 PM   
Whistler

Salvation has some decent set-pieces but overall it's a bit boring. Sam Worthington's actually pretty good in it, though.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27286
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 10:04:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

Salvation was ok but let down by ( ironically, given that it was a MCG film ) a lack of humour.Even the first Terminator didnt take itself TOO seriously and had some decent black comedy courtesy of Arnie and most especially, between Paul Winfield and Lance Henricksens police characters.

The action was decent but thats all Salvation had going for it really.Also, Sam Worthington really is a bad actor.It seems he has finally realised this himself and didnt even try to hide his aussie accent in Wrath Of The Titans.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27287
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 5/4/2013 11:27:31 PM   
Dave Oz

T3 seemed like an elaborate fan-fiction rather than a successor to the first two movies. The tone of the whole endeavour was completely off in my opinion. The writing was on the wall with the 'Talk to the hand' and Elton John glasses scenes, which were both on the wrong side of amusing.

I wanted to like Cloverfield but there was something about the characters that annoyed me. It's a common issue I have with characters that have been touched by the hand of Abrams, lol (another example: The engagement party at the beginning of MI3). Although the scenes of peril were done well.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 5/4/2013 11:30:03 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27288
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/4/2013 4:23:12 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

T3 seemed like an elaborate fan-fiction rather than a successor to the first two movies. The tone of the whole endeavour was completely off in my opinion. The writing was on the wall with the 'Talk to the hand' and Elton John glasses scenes, which were both on the wrong side of amusing.

I wanted to like Cloverfield but there was something about the characters that annoyed me. It's a common issue I have with characters that have been touched by the hand of Abrams, lol (another example: The engagement party at the beginning of MI3). Although the scenes of peril were done well.

I'll take the TV show TERMINATOR - THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES over anything done after T2.

Really liked that show.

Say what now?

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27289
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 12:19:49 PM   
FoximusPrime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I'll take the TV show TERMINATOR - THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES over anything done after T2.

Really liked that show.

Same here. I felt the first series was occasionally shaky as it strived to set out an alternate timeline from the films but seemed a bit scared to do so. However, the second series was able to relish in it. And that final cliffhanger...

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 27290
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 7:27:18 PM   
will1000

I'm not entirely sure how unpopular this is but here goes...Tom Cruise. He may be the most famous and bankable star in Hollywood for the last 20 years, but he turns me off a film like that *clicks fingers!*.
The way he always just plays 'Tom Cruise' in any leading role.
The way all his directors and co-stars gush about him on chat shows and media events and harp on about how much energy and vision he brings to a film.
The way he's always doing his own stunts then making a big dael about it like he's the only actor who ever does them. True his Mission Impossible ones are a spectacle (in fact the M.I franchise seems to be sold more or less entirely on 'What Will Tom Cruise Climb/Hang Off Next?!) but so what? Big whoop, I'll hang off a cliff for half the money!
The way he spends hours with the fans and the media make it out like he's the second coming of Jesus Christ (although to be fair that's probably the media's fault!)
His overly smug face.

I know this sounds like sour grapes, but seriously! The poster for his next film may as well read 'Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in 'Look, It's Tom Cruise!''

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 27291
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 8:02:57 PM   
directorscut

quote:

I'm not entirely sure how unpopular this is but here goes...Tom Cruise. He may be the most famous and bankable star in Hollywood for the last 20 years, but he turns me off a film like that *clicks fingers!*.
The way all his directors and co-stars gush about him on chat shows and media events and harp on about how much energy and vision he brings to a film.
The way he's always doing his own stunts then making a big dael about it like he's the only actor who ever does them. True his Mission Impossible ones are a spectacle (in fact the M.I franchise seems to be sold more or less entirely on 'What Will Tom Cruise Climb/Hang Off Next?!) but so what? Big whoop, I'll hang off a cliff for half the money!
The way he spends hours with the fans and the media make it out like he's the second coming of Jesus Christ (although to be fair that's probably the media's fault!)
His overly smug face.

I know this sounds like sour grapes, but seriously! The poster for his next film may as well read 'Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in 'Look, It's Tom Cruise!''

How is Ethan Hunt the same as Ron Kovic?
How is Jack Reacher the same as Jerry MaGuire?
How is Nathan Algren the same as TJ Mackey?
How is Vincent the same as Charlie Babbitt?
How is William Harford the same as Maverick?
How is Lestat the same as Daniel Kaffee?
How is John Anderton the same as Joel?
How is Colonel Stauffenberg the same as Les Grossman?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27292
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 8:12:48 PM   
will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

His overly smug face.

How is Ethan Hunt the same as Ron Kovic?
How is Jack Reacher the same as Jerry MaGuire?
How is Nathan Algren the same as TJ Mackey?
How is Vincent the same as Charlie Babbitt?
How is William Harford the same as Maverick?
How is Lestat the same as Daniel Kaffee?
How is John Anderton the same as Joel?
How is Colonel Stauffenberg the same as Les Grossman?

Okay not EXACTLY the same. I should have been more specific in saying that all of his leading roles in last 10-15 years.
But you can see that Tom Cruise is basically playing a facet or version of his own personality in the majority of his characters. It's the same criticism that Sean Connery got and Harrison Ford (as well as many others) gets.

Empire made a point of raising this issue/quirk in their review of Oblivion

My other issues with the man still stand though, but I guess that's why the thread is called what it is!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27293
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 10:24:28 PM   
Whistler

Scientology aside, I really like Cruise. Always find him very watchable.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27294
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 10:49:55 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Other opinions are available of course, but to say that Cruise has only ever played Cruise isn't entirely true. Check out Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with the Vampire and Magnolia for further reference. The latter is a brilliant performance, and sometimes I wonder why he doesn't take more risky and challenging roles like that one.

I guess he's not the kind of actor who can completely disappear into a character like, say, Tom Hardy or Heath Ledger, but I have no problem buying into his performances.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27295
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 11:02:42 PM   
vad3r

Tom Cruise makes anything watchable.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27296
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 11:04:37 PM   
will1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Other opinions are available of course, but to say that Cruise has only ever played Cruise isn't entirely true. Check out Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with the Vampire and Magnolia for further reference. The latter is a brilliant performance, and sometimes I wonder why he doesn't take more risky and challenging roles like that one.

I guess he's not the kind of actor who can completely disappear into a character like, say, Tom Hardy or Heath Ledger, but I have no problem buying into his performances.

I did specify his leading roles in the last 10 or so years. I'll admit he has played very varying roles in the past, but more recently it's been variations on a theme.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27297
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/4/2013 11:36:04 PM   
kumar

I have a strong man crush on Tom Cruise.

Edit: I realise that adds nothing to the topic, but while we are on Tom Cruise I thought i should say it. REALLY keen to see Oblivion too, not least because its around 2 hours so its well worth paying the money for!

< Message edited by kumar -- 11/4/2013 11:38:55 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27298
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/4/2013 1:04:42 AM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

I did specify his leading roles in the last 10 or so years. I'll admit he has played very varying roles in the past, but more recently it's been variations on a theme.

Explain how his performances in Collateral, Tropic Thunder, Valkyrie, War of the Worlds, Rock Of Ages, Mission Impossible, Last Samurai, Knight & Day, Lions For Lambs and Minority Report are similar.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27299
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/4/2013 1:32:12 AM   
giggity

quote:

Maybe they gush about him because he really IS that great a guy and how much he brings to a film.

I don't think i've ever heard him brag about himself doing his own stunts, moreso it's the people around him and rightly so, you can say you'll do that if you're paid the money but let's see how you feel when you're 2,700 ft up in the air and have to hang around outside of that.

I don't think even the media make out like he's jesus christ. he's a guy that appreciates his fans and shows that, especially to the ones that probably camp out a day or two in advance to see him. It's nice to see someone show that.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27300
Page:   <<   < prev  908 909 [910] 911 912   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  908 909 [910] 911 912   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI