Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  907 908 [909] 910 911   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 7:37:38 PM   
will1000

I haven't seen Avatar. I don't care for its rehash of Fern Gully s' story. I don't care for the 3D. I don't care if James Cameron is making two sequels shot at 60fps. I...I just don't care!

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 27241
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:09:51 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I haven't seen Avatar. I don't care for its rehash of Fern Gully s' story. I don't care for the 3D. I don't care if James Cameron is making two sequels shot at 60fps. I...I just don't care!

If he makes them at 60fps...will they be available in regular format too? I didn't see the 60fps version of The Hobbit but I heard a lot of complaints about it.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27242
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:18:07 PM   
matty_b

I don't think anyone saw the 60fps version of The Hobbit to be fair...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 27243
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:31:24 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I don't think anyone saw the 60fps version of The Hobbit to be fair...

I just realised that. It was 48, wasn't it?

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27244
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:36:13 PM   
matty_b

Yes. Yes, it was.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 27245
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:39:48 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

You're not missing out on much tbh.It's basically Smurfs In Space.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27246
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:53:51 PM   
Whistler

Avatar's alright; I'd certainly say it's worth a watch at some point. It's not spectacular (except for visually) but it really doesn't deserve all the bashing it gets. Much like Twilight.

Although it did give birth to this latest 3D trend...

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 27247
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 8:56:02 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

FIVE BLUE STARS!?!?!?!!?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 27248
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 9:14:52 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Avatar's alright; I'd certainly say it's worth a watch at some point. It's not spectacular (except for visually) but it really doesn't deserve all the bashing it gets.

I agree. I quite liked it, and it is visually stunning. Might have been a little better with a lead with more charisma, and I understand all the Fern Gully/Pocahontas/Dances With Wolves comparisons but I like it a lot.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27249
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 9:43:16 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

FIVE BLUE STARS!?!?!?!!?

Hmm.
Avatar is a decent family film with some truly great visuals but its just lacks that element of edge/spark that I initially thought it would have being a Cameron film and-all,plus the hype was relentless.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 2/4/2013 10:20:52 PM >

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27250
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 2/4/2013 10:35:56 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

FIVE BLUE STARS!?!?!?!!?

Hmm.
Avatar is a decent family film with some truly great visuals but its just lacks that element of edge/spark that I initially thought it would have being a Cameron film and-all,plus the hype was relentless.

I think the major problem with a lot of films these days is that they get SO much hype there's almost no way they can live up to it. If Avatar had got the same level of marketing/publicity as most blockbuster summer films, then I doubt as many people would have been quite as disappointed as they were. But it was hailed as the most amazing film in the history of ever (I may be paraphrasing) and so a lot pf people were- inevitably- left feeling let down.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

Post #: 27251
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 12:32:31 AM   
Mister Coe

Another vote for AVATAR being an OK sci-fi blockbuster with nice SFX, but the script is aimed at 12-year olds and the running time is ridiculous.

Say what now?

Post #: 27252
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 9:09:50 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

FIVE BLUE STARS!?!?!?!!?

Hmm.

I think the major problem with a lot of films these days is that they get SO much hype there's almost no way they can live up to it. If Avatar had got the same level of marketing/publicity as most blockbuster summer films, then I doubt as many people would have been quite as disappointed as they were. But it was hailed as the most amazing film in the history of ever (I may be paraphrasing) and so a lot pf people were- inevitably- left feeling let down.

What about those who saw it on opening night, found it mediocre and started finding it worse whenever we accidentally or were forced to think about about it?

Because that's what happened to me.

Also, does it really excuse it being aimed at 12-year olds? Cause I swear it wasn't but Princess Mononoke was and this managed to feature way more complexity with seriously shorter running time.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 3/4/2013 9:13:14 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 27253
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 9:59:26 AM   
Timon

I really enjoyed Avatar.

True story.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27254
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 1:21:25 PM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

FIVE BLUE STARS!?!?!?!!?

Hmm.

Couldnt agre more and will also add the fact that James Cameron was bleating for ages before it was released about "Photo realistic imiges" Blah, blah, blah & what we actually got was quite a good film but some of the effect look no more "photo realistic" than a video game cut scene.

Post #: 27255
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 1:40:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I really enjoyed Avatar.

True story.

Same here. One of my favourite cinema experiences ever and to this day still the only film I can see the point of 3D in.

It loses a lot on the small screen for me but it's still a gorgeous film as far as I'm concerned. It might be shallow as fuck but it's a treat for the eyes.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27256
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 1:50:42 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen Avatar.

FIVE BLUE STARS!?!?!?!!?

Hmm.

I think the major problem with a lot of films these days is that they get SO much hype there's almost no way they can live up to it. If Avatar had got the same level of marketing/publicity as most blockbuster summer films, then I doubt as many people would have been quite as disappointed as they were. But it was hailed as the most amazing film in the history of ever (I may be paraphrasing) and so a lot of people were- inevitably- left feeling let down.

What about those who saw it on opening night, found it mediocre and started finding it worse whenever we accidentally or were forced to think about about it?

Because that's what happened to me.

Also, does it really excuse it being aimed at 12-year olds? Cause I swear it wasn't but Princess Mononoke was and this managed to feature way more complexity with seriously shorter running time.

Well, that's different. I said the hype caused it to be a let down for a lot of people, not everyone. Of course there are going to be some people who just didn't like it, that happens with all films.

I don't think it was aimed at 12-year olds, no. And, as you point out, a lot of films that ARE aimed at 12-year olds are better films.

I just think that the amount of hype it got raised a lot of expectations and that's the reason that a lot of people have such low opinions of the film. They were promised something they didn't get.

quote:

homersimpson_esq

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 27257
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 2:01:28 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 27258
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 2:20:35 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Agreed

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 27259
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 5:53:23 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Agreed

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it was awesome, but I must admit I was utterly entranced when I saw it on the big screen in 3D. I also saw Jaws 3D at the cinema in 1984, so the wait for decent 3D was worth it.
Visually it was utterly brilliant, I was hooked. I think I said it in the review thread when I first saw it - but everything had "weight" if that makes sense. Nothing in 3D since has come even close, so I have to hand it to Cameron for pulling it off.
The story, well, I don't need to slag it off anymore than it has been already. Shit.

Anyway, to throw an unpopular opinion in - Donnie Darko is shit.
And I bet all those people who thought it was the dog's nob have not seen it since.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 27260
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 6:04:54 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

And I bet all those people who thought it was the dog's nob have not seen it since.

Sorry,dont agree.
I think it's a solid film with an interesting concept,good music and some good performances.
It's like a extremely light David Lynch type film.It has that dreamy element to it which I find comforting.

Generally Donnie Darko is a somewhat easy film to knock.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 3/4/2013 6:19:23 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27261
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 7:05:23 PM   
will1000

quote:

quote:

Sorry,dont agree.
I think it's a solid film with an interesting concept,good music and some good performances.
It's like a extremely light David Lynch type film.It has that dreamy element to it which I find comforting.

It's good, it's just not as good as I originally remember. It still has a cracking 80s soundtrack though. That whole introductory sequence set to Tears For Fears' Head Over Heels is great!

Post #: 27262
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 7:06:54 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Now there's a point, I haven't seen it the first time I watched it when I was 17. I seem to remember liking it at the time, but also thinking "that's it?"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27263
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 7:10:04 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sorry,dont agree.

It's good, it's just not as good as I originally remember. It still has a cracking 80s soundtrack though. That whole introductory sequence set to Tears For Fears' Head Over Heels is great!

Yep,standout scene for me.Just really good pacing.
Also the intro act with the Echo and The Bunnymen track is also a good moment.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27264
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 9:43:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

So far, Disneys acquistion of Lucasfilm is a BAD thing.

Sure, it means we are getting a new trilogy of Star Wars movies ( and even more standalone movies ), but it has resulted in the cancellation of The Clone Wars tv show, and it has just been announced that Lucasarts have cancelled their development of SW games like 1313 ( which was turning out to be a potentially awesome game ).

And even though i like JJ Abrams work in general, i think he may possibly be a bad choice to direct the new film due to his fanboyishness over the original trilogy.It could potentially result in a Bryan Singer/Superman Returns case of '' Oh Boy! lets see how many homages and references i can stick into this movie instead of it being its own entity because it was my FAAAAAAVVVVOUUUURRITE movie when i was a kid !!!!! ''

Abrams Star Trek worked BECAUSE he wasnt really a fan of the franchise.He had enough distance from it that he was able to do his own thing and make the movie he wanted to make instead of catering to obsessive fanboys.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 3/4/2013 9:54:59 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 27265
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 9:51:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

I agree, the worst thing any director can do is cater to obsessive fanboys.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27266
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 10:28:28 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

So far, Disneys acquistion of Lucasfilm is a BAD thing.

Sure, it means we are getting a new trilogy of Star Wars movies ( and even more standalone movies ), but it has resulted in the cancellation of The Clone Wars tv show, and it has just been announced that Lucasarts have cancelled their development of SW games like 1313 ( which was turning out to be a potentially awesome game ).

And even though i like JJ Abrams work in general, i think he may possibly be a bad choice to direct the new film due to his fanboyishness over the original trilogy.It could potentially result in a Bryan Singer/Superman Returns case of '' Oh Boy! lets see how many homages and references i can stick into this movie instead of it being its own entity because it was my FAAAAAAVVVVOUUUURRITE movie when i was a kid !!!!! ''

Abrams Star Trek worked BECAUSE he wasnt really a fan of the franchise.He had enough distance from it that he was able to do his own thing and make the movie he wanted to make instead of catering to obsessive fanboys.

Lets give the man some credit, at least until the cameras start rolling please. If the prequels taught us anything its that Star Wars has had more than its share of shameless nods and winks I would imagine JJ to be a smart enough filmmaker to recognise this. The only thing I can see JJ paying homage to is in trying to recapture the tone and feel (the magic) of the OT, that what made it such a beloved franchise to begin with. Lets hope.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27267
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 10:39:07 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I like JJ, but... it's such an uninspiring obvious choice for director in a lot of ways.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 27268
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 10:51:14 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

I like JJ, but... it's such an uninspiring obvious choice for director in a lot of ways.

I initially thought that when JJ was announced,I also thought that JJ would be slightly tired of doing another franchise SCI-FI.
But,I have a funny feeling that this wont be the typical JJ abrams films we've seen in his recent career.I think this might be something a little more different interms of visual style and tone.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 3/4/2013 10:52:07 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 27269
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 3/4/2013 10:51:19 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

He's pretty much as safe as your going to get for this type of film. Not sure about uninspiring though.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 3/4/2013 10:52:42 PM >

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 27270
Page:   <<   < prev  907 908 [909] 910 911   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  907 908 [909] 910 911   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI