Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  905 906 [907] 908 909   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:14:01 PM   
Hood_Man

I always sort of liked Alien 3...

NOW DO YOU LOVE ME DADDY?? NOW DO YOU LOVE ME??

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27181
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:19:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

I've never really liked Alien 3 much. Am I as cool as directorscut?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27182
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:22:20 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

You're as cool as a slightly warm sand covered cheese and tomato sandwich, dropped on a beach by a small child who was less interested in eating lunch and more interested by - SEAGULL!!!

*runs after seagull*

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27183
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:24:28 PM   
Shifty Bench

Pffffffft, I'm cooler than you, Hood Face.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27184
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:26:30 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

No, you need to start whining about Universal blu rays and DNR in order to achiebe that kind of coolness.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 27185
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:34:11 PM   
Shifty Bench

Och,fuck that, it sounds like that is too much hard work.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27186
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:44:01 PM   
directorscut

Next you people will be telling me the Assembly Cut is a much better film and not just thirty minutes of extra awful.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 27187
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:53:56 PM   
Shifty Bench

Yeah! Defend the Assembly Cut, you people! Let's hear it, come on! Some people, am I right?

What's the Assembly Cut? Is it any better?

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27188
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:56:53 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Yeah! Defend the Assembly Cut, you people! Let's hear it, come on! Some people, am I right?

What's the Assembly Cut? Is it any better?

It makes the middle of the film a bit more coherent but otherwise it just makes a bad film longer.

Post #: 27189
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:03:28 PM   
Cool Breeze

Alien Resurrection is way better than both cuts of Alien 3.

It actually has decent action in it ( The underwater sequence is one of the stand out moments of the whole franchise ), characters you actually want to see survive, and it even has people with hair on their heads !

I hate the special edition version of Resurrection though.That opening sequence looked like something out of Naked Gun than an Alien film.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 19/3/2013 10:20:19 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 27190
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:18:03 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

It actually has decent action in it ( The underwater sequence is one of the stand out moments of the whole franchise ), characters you actually want to see survive, and it even people with hair on their heads !

I hate the special edition version of Resurrection though.That opening sequence looked like something out of Naked Gun than an Alien film.

When I watched it first time I did notice this.... there was Ripley, a black dude, then everyone else.

That said though it didnt detract from my enjoyment of the film. It went in a surprisingly different direction after Aliens, but I dont think there was any point trying to beat it. I dont know what cut ive seen (though the one I saw the alien came from a dog, not a cow), but it was a decent go.

I really didnt like Ressurection though, it was the first alien film I saw and knew generally as film it was horrid... mainly because the cards I had seen in the playground as a kid were scarier than the images in AR.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27191
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:28:13 PM   
directorscut

quote:

It actually has decent action in it ( The underwater sequence is one of the stand out moments of the whole franchise ), characters you actually want to see survive, and it even has people with hair on their heads !

Don't be ridiculous Cool Breeze. Alien 3 is filled with rapists and murderers, people you can really get behind and want to survive.

Post #: 27192
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:30:50 PM   
Whistler

So what's the consensus on Alien and Aliens around here? Which is generally preferred?

Post #: 27193
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:32:44 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Don't be ridiculous Cool Breeze. Alien 3 is filled with rapists and murderers, people you can really get behind and want to survive.

Wait....are you saying that because someone likes Alien 3, they want the rapists and murderers to survive?

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 19/3/2013 10:36:07 PM >

Post #: 27194
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:37:41 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wait....are you saying that because someone likes Alien 3, they want rapists and murderers to survive?

No, I'm saying it was a really great idea to fill a horror movie cast with rapists and murderers, a motley crew that the audience could really root for.

Post #: 27195
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 10:41:37 PM   
Shifty Bench

I don't really think you are supposed to root for anyone but Ripley. Oh and Charles Dance......

Wait, why am I defending a film I don't even like?

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 19/3/2013 10:42:33 PM >

Post #: 27196
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 11:02:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

So what's the consensus on Alien and Aliens around here? Which is generally preferred?

I don't know about anybody else, but I like Alien more.

Scarier and much tighter than Aliens, which I'm still quite fond of.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27197
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 11:08:38 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Yep,the special edition of Alien Resurrection is arguably one of the most pointless cut-editions I've ever seen.
It basically makes a poor film worse.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Iterms of which ones I prefer in order:
Alien
Alien3 (special cut)
Aliens
...........Alien Resurrection

Post #: 27198
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 12:44:03 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wait....are you saying that because someone likes Alien 3, they want rapists and murderers to survive?

No, I'm saying it was a really great idea to fill a horror movie cast with rapists and murderers, a motley crew that the audience could really root for.

Does the film ask you to support them? It is pretty explicit that these are not nice people, even if they do decent acts during the film. Morally complex issues - heaven forbid a genre film try and engage with them!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 27199
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 12:44:42 AM   
Rgirvan44

Alien is the better film, but I watch Aliens more.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27200
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 7:57:42 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does the film ask you to support them? It is pretty explicit that these are not nice people, even if they do decent acts during the film. Morally complex issues - heaven forbid a genre film try and engage with them!

Indeed. And, you know, most of them die horribly so that should please everyone, surely?

And I would disagree that you particularly want anyone to survive in A:R - they're all too bland and forgettable to muster up any interest in, like/dislike or otherwise.

It's a really horribly conceived and cynical sequel that isn't exciting, isn't scary, isn't dark and isn't funny.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27201
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 8:39:36 AM   
Coyleone

I much prefer Alien than Aliens. It's the horror element of the first that does it for me, rather than the second's more action-y approach.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27202
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 1:10:38 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Alien 3 was widely dismissed and (deservedly) bashed when released from critics, Alien fans and the general movie-going audience. Only since Fincher has become the "it" director did this "under-rated masterpiece" bollox start apearing. These are the facts.

I've got a mate who's been saying Alien 3's the best of the lot since 1993.
I've got a cousin who saw it for the first time recently and loves it too.
I personally don't think it's very good, though I think the longer cut is slightly better.
Now if these are the facts, and yours are the facts, where does that leave us?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 20/3/2013 1:11:08 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 27203
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 2:14:42 PM   
FilmMaster

The Maltese Falcon is not as good of a noir film as it is made out to be. A 7.5/10 from me.

Cinema is my life, my aspiration and my dream.

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 27204
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 4:32:05 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alien 3 is about as morally complex as corn flakes.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27205
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 4:33:10 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Alien 3 was widely dismissed and (deservedly) bashed when released from critics, Alien fans and the general movie-going audience. Only since Fincher has become the "it" director did this "under-rated masterpiece" bollox start apearing. These are the facts.

I personally don't think it's very good, though I think the longer cut is slightly better.

Your mate is the majority of the 40 million people who saw it in 1992?

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27206
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 4:44:14 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Your mate is the majority of the 40 million people who saw it in 1992?

No he's one person who saw it in 1992. And liked it. Long before Seven, Fight Club, etc. Whether the majority of people (me included) think it's a bit crap is neither here nor there, the point is plenty of people like the film with or without the knowledge of Fincher's subsequent career.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 27207
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 6:49:36 PM   
elab49

I think Directorscut's right on the trend of critical opinion though. It's just difficult to say whether it's a case where later viewers simply see more in the film and enjoy it more or whether it's a case of 'we're young punk reviewers so everything old reviewers said is wrong and we'll apply 20.20 hindsight to everything to so there' or somewhere in between.

I saw Alien 3 at the time. Most people I knew thought it was tosh. I thought it was OK in parts and still find the cringing mop-up guy amusing, but I found it very hard to defend. In fairness I doubt anticipation helped - I was looking forward to seeing it for ages although, unlike today, hype really doesn't build up the same way. Whiteley's I think that was - was it an Odeon? . And now I feel very old

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 27208
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 20/3/2013 7:44:42 PM   
will1000

Alien Resurrection had some good ideas and continued the story of Weyland Yutani getting hold of the zeno, but for me it just didn't work. It didn't feel like an Alien film, from the look and the characters..even Ripley wasn't Ripley any more. It makes me wonder if the Alien franchise could actually continue (with sequels not prequels ala Promethius).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27209
This Forum's An Interesting Idea, I Like It! :) - 20/3/2013 8:10:04 PM   
Evolved As One

Hmm, let's see.

- After being told "I wouldn't get it" I watched The Man Who Fell To Earth and thought it was excellent.
- Breaking Bad is ONE of the greatest TV shows, not THE greatest in my opinion.
- I didn't cry at the end of Titanic.
- I saw the ending coming in Seven, though I still found it to be a brilliant film.
- I thought A Serbian Film was overhyped with its gore and violence and found the story to be mediocre.
- I don't jump or get scared at horror films so when someone says "it's scary" and I reply "no it wasn't" that goes down 'unpopular'.
- I like the Director's cut of Daredevil and the film as a whole.

Any others I think of, I'll add here.

"They've got you where they want you..."

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 27210
Page:   <<   < prev  905 906 [907] 908 909   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  905 906 [907] 908 909   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI