Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  904 905 [906] 907 908   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 8:10:43 AM   
vad3r

Skyfall was awful. I'm not sure what I was meant to gain from watching it. Q and Moneypenny were annoying and Chigurh never felt like a threat beside the wig. The comedy moments fell flat, the Adele song was generic church music and almost the whole thing took place in London. I live in London, I want to see Bond adventure across the globe in exotic locations. Not bloody London. The Shanghai section was cool though.

Hunger Games was letdown by the cop out Hollywood ending. Also, the leads had no chemistry.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27151
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 11:08:21 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I found this whilst killing time at work today ( I got that Friday feeling!) and I have to say that the guy in this video makes a compelling case for a generally unpopular opinion surrounding Alien3 . This video does make me want to go back and watch the film again.

In the defence of Alien3

The biggest problem with Alien 3 is that it's just really boring. He does make a good argument, but I'm not convinced that by re-watching it I'll see what he sees.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27152
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 1:50:48 PM   
rich

The biggest problem is it's exploitative use of the previous Aliens characters and that Ripley had no reason to be in besides marketing. If a film has to force this thing on the audience (Look at this! Feel things! Are you sad yet!?) then it's basically a waste of time. That's without even looking at it's failure as a horror - it's not a creepy film after the best edge of your seat parts in the previous ones. Any argument that is "it's supposed to be that way, it's supposed to be dark, it's supposed to suck" then it just falls apart.

< Message edited by rich -- 16/3/2013 2:01:06 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27153
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 2:28:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

As a film about death, loss and decay, Alien 3 is pretty great. Ripley the survivor has to embrace her own end. It might be bit as good as the prior two, but it fits in nicely as part of the trilogy.

Any movie with Ripley and her happy family could only ever be a repeat of the second movie. Mind you, I never had the wait for Alien 3 some had, so maybe my views on the Newt/Hicks thing is different.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 27154
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 2:52:24 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

The biggest problem is it's exploitative use of the previous Aliens characters and that Ripley had no reason to be in besides marketing. If a film has to force this thing on the audience (Look at this! Feel things! Are you sad yet!?) then it's basically a waste of time. That's without even looking at it's failure as a horror - it's not a creepy film after the best edge of your seat parts in the previous ones. Any argument that is "it's supposed to be that way, it's supposed to be dark, it's supposed to suck" then it just falls apart.

How the flying fuck are those poor arguments? An franchise that already has very dark imagery and subtexts cannot be intentionally dark now?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 27155
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 3:34:28 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
Any movie with Ripley and her happy family could only ever be a repeat of the second movie.

Which is why she shouldn't have been in it?

quote:

How the flying fuck are those poor arguments? An franchise that already has very dark imagery and subtexts cannot be intentionally dark now?

Because by saying "you didn't enjoy it? That's the point" is just a cop out that avoids looking at the real problems. Alien is pretty grim and nihilistic but I still like watching it.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27156
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 3:50:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

So you wanted an Alien sequel, coming off Aliens, that didn't have Ripley? You can see where the complaints would come from if they did that....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 27157
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 4:12:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Because by saying "you didn't enjoy it? That's the point" is just a cop out that avoids looking at the real problems. Alien is pretty grim and nihilistic but I still like watching it.

But that's not what you're saying, you said being intentionally dark is the problem, which now you claim it isn't because it was done well in Alien and hence, the problem was not intention in its "darkness" and its execution. It's like criticizing Schindler's List for being depressing. A film being dark and it being not entertaining in any way are not mutually exclusive.

Also, Alien is pretty damn positive.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 16/3/2013 4:13:59 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 27158
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 4:40:23 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

So you wanted an Alien sequel, coming off Aliens, that didn't have Ripley? You can see where the complaints would come from if they did that....

Yes. Do you think there would have been more complaints than the finished product got? Alien worked as a standalone creature horror. Aliens has a nice little arc in there, it's satisfying. There's no real need to carry that on. Alien3 is like someone was desperate to reset all that just to have the brand awareness be stronger rather than just build a new story around the religious stuff and the prison.

quote:

Also, Alien is pretty damn positive.

The video said that the criticism Alien3 gets is unjustified because the storyline had to go down that route, and that the Alien always wins, everyone dying was the only way they could possibly have gone. This is rubbish because the Aliens actually always lose like so many other movie monsters - I seem to remember they got nuked or blasted into space, regardless of the body count. I just generally dislike critiques that deflect the negative press by saying things like "you're not supposed to enjoy yourself" and "it's meant to be crap, that's the point". That isn't a review, it's just pulling the misunderstood/audience didn't get it card.

I say nihilistic, with things like Ash's last speech, but it's still within the bounds of the usual horror format. Despite the similarities with The Thing, Alien ends with Ripley getting away. The corporate evil and unstoppable monster stuff is pretty heavy going but the Narcissus floats off unscathed with the cat and everything. Anyway - the Escapist's point was that the way things went in the 3rd instalment were perfectly acceptable way to go about things, and I can't agree. All I get from it is real world Company meddling.

To clarify though - Alien3 is not bad film. I just don't like it.

< Message edited by rich -- 16/3/2013 4:59:56 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27159
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 7:26:56 PM   
will1000

Yikes! I opened a can of worms there! If it hadn't been made, fans would have asked the question "but what is Ripley's ultimate fate?". Personally I think it nicely caps off the trilogy. I would like it to see it 're-edited' with better CGI for the zeno...because it hasn't aged well!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 27160
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 16/3/2013 8:32:44 PM   
Cool Breeze

Ripleys story arc was completed by the end of Aliens.

She faced her fears, defeated the aliens, and found a surrogate daughter in Newt.

Alien 3 destroyed all that.It is such a bleak film that its bleakness is projected back onto Camerons movie.Now when we see Hicks and Newt fight to survive in Aliens, we know its all pointless as they will die at the start of the next movie quite horribly in their cryotubes.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27161
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 2:27:20 PM   
matty_b

That criticism only really works if you accept that 'sad/tragic ending = bad ending', which is pretty silly, really.

Alien 3 is great. It looks terrific and the atmosphere practically chokes you with dread. I mean, I get why people would have preferred it to end with Aliens. I love the end of Aliens as much as I do the end of Alien 3. I think they both work in wildly different ways.

But then, I'm someone who can happily ignore any sequels that tarnish the original anyway. Alien: Resurrection is dreck, so I don't bother acknowledging its existence. Sure I know it's there, but for me, Ripley's story ends where it should, on Fiorina - for others, that may be heading back home to Earth.

And obviously I get that other people might find it that silly, but really, it's the best way to avoid saying that a film further down the line somehow tarnishes the earlier work which I find equally silly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 27162
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 3:21:38 PM   
directorscut

Alien 3 is absolute cack regardless of what Fincher revisionists/apologists say. Terrible story, terrible script, ugly, repugnant characters. It is the result of a studio who were mere concerned with a release date than making a good film, just like X-Men 3.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27163
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 3:55:32 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Alien 3 is absolute cack regardless of what Fincher revisionists/apologists say. Terrible story, terrible script, ugly, repugnant characters. It is the result of a studio who were mere concerned with a release date than making a good film, just like X-Men 3.

It's a good thing you reminded me that you get to decide these things. I was beginning to believe that it was a matter of opinion.

Thanks...

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/3/2013 3:57:12 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 27164
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 6:01:15 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

It's a good thing you reminded me that you get to decide these things. I was beginning to believe that it was a matter of opinion.

Do we need to prefix our opinions in the opinions thread with "in my opinion" in case these opinions are taken as fact as opposed to opinions in your opinion?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 27165
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 6:16:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Do we need to prefix our opinions in the opinions thread with "in my opinion" in case these opinions are taken as fact as opposed to opinions in your opinion?

Isn't there a difference between someone offering an opinion based on their actual opinion on the merits or lack of in any given film and one that simply attempts to dismiss any opposing opinion from fans of the film as being that of revisionists or apologists for the director? The first is an individual opinion, the second is trying to dismiss any other opinion by labelling the fans.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27166
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 6:30:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Isn't there a difference between someone offering an opinion based on their actual opinion on the merits or lack of in any given film and one that simply attempts to dismiss any opposing opinion from fans of the film as being that of revisionists or apologists for the director? The first is an individual opinion, the second is trying to dismiss any other opinion by labelling the fans.

Indeed. I usually take it as read that whatever somebody posts is their opinion but when somebody dismisses any other opinion to theirs as revisionism or apologism then I take it that they're presenting their opinion as fact.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/3/2013 6:31:52 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27167
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:18:15 PM   
matty_b

Or trolling. One of the two.

quote:

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 27168
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:26:08 PM   
MonsterCat

Do you know what it is I like about directorscut the most?

It's his subtle way with people and processing their opinions. His lightness of touch even.

On the subject of Alien 3, I quite like it but it is flawed. Considering the bullshit he had to put up with at the time I think Fincher pulled off a minor miracle by delivering a half-way decent flick.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 19/3/2013 7:31:44 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27169
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:28:45 PM   
Whistler

Okay, H&G: Witch Hunters was a lot of fun. I don't know if it's screaming out for a sequel, but I'll happily watch one.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27170
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:33:33 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

On the subject of Alien 3, I quite like it but it is flawed. Considering the bullshit he had to put up with at the time I think Fincher pulled off a minor miracle by delivering a half-way decent flick.

It's a shame he can't be tempted back to do an actual director's cut of it. Something between the flawed theatrical version and the overlong workprint version would be great.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27171
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:34:21 PM   
directorscut

Alien 3 was widely dismissed and (deservedly) bashed when released from critics, Alien fans and the general movie-going audience. Only since Fincher has become the "it" director did this "under-rated masterpiece" bollox start apearing. These are the facts.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27172
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:44:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Alien 3 was widely dismissed and (deservedly) bashed when released from critics, Alien fans and the general movie-going audience. Only since Fincher has become the "it" director did this "under-rated masterpiece" bollox start apearing. These are the facts.

As you interpret them.

And misspell them.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 27173
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 7:44:48 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

So basically because some people didn't like it 21 years ago, when most of the people posting at this site would probably have been too young to even have seen it (yourself included), then anybody who likes it today, and thinks it's an under-rated masterpiece because it was dismissed on initial release, must be wrong.

Post #: 27174
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 8:01:18 PM   
MonsterCat

I'm going to watch Alien 3 tonight, and then I will write a review in which I will praise it to the high heavens in order to annoy directorscut.

Afterwards I will masturbate over the pain and anguish this will cause him.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27175
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 8:09:20 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Okay, H&G: Witch Hunters was a lot of fun. I don't know if it's screaming out for a sequel, but I'll happily watch one.

Same! I really enjoyed it.

I saw H&G one day and then Oz The Great and Powerful the day after, and H&G was far more enjoyable.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27176
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 8:14:23 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Same! I really enjoyed it.

I saw H&G one day and then Oz The Great and Powerful the day after, and H&G was far more enjoyable.

Glad I'm not the only one

...but I liked Oz too

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 27177
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 8:31:11 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I think we all should.We could be a team like..like the Mighty Ducks.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27178
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 8:56:08 PM   
directorscut

quote:

I'm going to watch Alien 3 tonight, and then I will write a review in which I will praise it to the high heavens in order to annoy directorscut.

My pain and anguish will be significantly less than yours while watching the film.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27179
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 19/3/2013 9:02:03 PM   
MonsterCat

I'll be fine thanks. I like Alien 3.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 27180
Page:   <<   < prev  904 905 [906] 907 908   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  904 905 [906] 907 908   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI