Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  901 902 [903] 904 905   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 2:53:46 PM   
Overmind

I can continue on that route...

I read Heinleins Starship Troopers last summer.
At that moment Starship Troopers the movie. went from one of the most entertaining ever made to one of the worst ever made.

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 27061
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 3:14:43 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Just finished reading Peter Benchley JAWS and I have to say I now prefer it to the movie.
Now,I'm not saying the Spielberg film is rubbish,its obviously not,but Benchleys story just had alot more going for it.
Characters were (to pardon the pun) more fleshed out,and no more so with Brodys wife Ellen.
I'm not going to spoil the book though.I just now prefer it to the movie.

Wow! Thats unpopular!
I didnt really like the Hooper/Ellen affair story, it kind of tainted my view of Hooper who was my film hero growing up (along with Indy, obviously) I agree with your fleshing out of the characters bit though, although it is always going to be easier in a book than on screen.
I think Speilberg did a better job getting rid of the flab, and certainly the ending in the film was better, in my opinion obviously. The ending in the book was just a bit flat for me.
Certainly Benchley wasn't impressed with Spielberg (and Carl Gottlieb's) handling of the book, hence his beach cameo as the reporter (to soften it for him) although I think he was quite frosty about the whole thing.
Admittedly I've only read the book twice, and seen the film about 100 times. I knew the film off-by-heart before I read the book, so it was only going to be a let-down in comparison.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 27062
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 3:23:25 PM   
elab49

I'd agree with most of that. Jaws comes fairly high in the worst book/best film list for me - Benchley's writing is IMO dreadful, the story flat, the affair stuff just so badly written. The film script is a masterclass in taking a turd and making it shine

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27063
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 3:26:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Just finished reading Peter Benchley JAWS and I have to say I now prefer it to the movie.
Now,I'm not saying the Spielberg film is rubbish,its obviously not,but Benchleys story just had alot more going for it.
Characters were (to pardon the pun) more fleshed out,and no more so with Brodys wife Ellen.

But......the book is awful

(obviously my opinion)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 22/2/2013 3:27:54 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 27064
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 3:30:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

Wow! Thats unpopular!
I didnt really like the Hooper/Ellen affair story, it kind of tainted my view of Hooper who was my film hero growing up (along with Indy, obviously) I agree with your fleshing out of the characters bit though, although it is always going to be easier in a book than on screen.
I think Speilberg did a better job getting rid of the flab, and certainly the ending in the film was better, in my opinion obviously. The ending in the book was just a bit flat for me.
Certainly Benchley wasn't impressed with Spielberg (and Carl Gottlieb's) handling of the book, hence his beach cameo as the reporter (to soften it for him) although I think he was quite frosty about the whole thing.
Admittedly I've only read the book twice, and seen the film about 100 times. I knew the film off-by-heart before I read the book, so it was only going to be a let-down in comparison.

Interesting.I really like the Hooper and Ellen affair,and I really enjoyed the fact that Ellen was so caught up in the past and was finding it difficult in dealing with her relationship with Brody and the kids.
The setting of the book was much more grounded to.The situation concerning the fact that Amity was really gearing up for a great,prosperous wealthy summer due to it coinciding with a country still reeling away from the recession.The fact that the towns council were willing to risk lives for wealth in keeping the beach open was startlingly cold.Also the fact that the towns mare was indeep with his own financial indifference and promises. And in the mist of all this was a great White uncharacteristically roaming the shore.

I also dont think any of the main characters were much different from there film counterparts.The book just obviously gave those characters more freedom and depth.Hooper seemed much the same guy as Dreyfuss depicted in the film,Brody In the book was maybe alittle more dry and aggressive but again was not much different while Quint in the book was possibly more interesting,for me.

Though I agree the ending in the book was flat and seemed somewhat rushed.

elab49,Shifty Bench,I guess I really am alone on this.
Not saying the books great ,and it is written in a basic manner,but I just think it gave depth to certain characters that the film depicted in a rather brash,simple manner.
Also don't me to harsh on the book.Without it the film would have never existed.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 22/2/2013 4:12:49 PM >

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27065
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 4:45:22 PM   
elab49

quote:

Not saying the books great ,and it is written in a basic manner,but I just think it gave depth to certain characters that the film depicted in a rather brash,simple manner.
Also don't me to harsh on the book.Without it the film would have never existed.

Very true - it's his sole get-out clause

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 27066
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 4:48:13 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Also don't be to harsh on the book.Without it the film would have never existed.

?
Also,Spielberg must have liked the book for him to,y'know,direct it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27067
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:03:14 PM   
elab49

I'm not sure that's necessarily a truism. No idea whether it's true here. but a director/screenplay chappie could see a kernel of an idea that can be removed from a duff source and made into a great film. Liking the book isn't an absolute pre-requisite.

quote:

Post #: 27068
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:10:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

I'm not sure that's necessarily a truism. No idea whether it's true here. but a director/screenplay chappie could see a kernel of an idea that can be removed from a duff source and made into a great film. Liking the book isn't an absolute pre-requisite.

Hmm,true.But I think read some that Spielberg did/does enjoy the book.

So,whats your gripes with the book?
You sound like you have deep-seeded issues with it?

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 22/2/2013 5:11:10 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27069
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:13:58 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also don't be to harsh on the book.Without it the film would have never existed.

?

It was David Brown's (the producer of Jaws) wife (the Cosmopolitan Editor) who suggested the book to him, before it was even published. I think Speilberg had gone on record saying he didn't like the book, and wanted to rip it apart, hence Benchley's annoyance.
Spielberg didn't like any of the book's characters and subsequently wanted the shark to win

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 27070
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:17:32 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

No, I just think it's really badly written. Not quite Dan Brown levels of bad, but in bad need of an editor to do something with the stodgy writing.

quote:

Post #: 27071
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:18:00 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

?

It was David Brown's (the producer of Jaws) wife (the Cosmopolitan Editor) who suggested the book to him, before it was even published. I think Speilberg had gone on record saying he didn't like the book, and wanted to rip it apart, hence Benchley's annoyance.
Spielberg didn't like any of the book's characters and subsequently wanted the shark to win

Hmm,I still think I read somewhere that Spielberg did enjoy the book

The character thing is odd though.Because I saw only little differences in what was on screen and what was in the book.
Spielberg must have liked them in some form because they're practically the same.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 27072
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:19:26 PM   
elab49

I wouldn't say exactly the same but I think you're right, there is a strong read across in terms of some of the characters.

quote:

Post #: 27073
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:20:38 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I just think it's really badly written. Not quite Dan Brown levels of bad, but in bad need of an editor to do something with the stodgy writing.

Agree on something then.
Though,I was tempted to read Da Vinci a while back.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 22/2/2013 5:22:00 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27074
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:25:01 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree on something then.

Save yourself - burn your house down with the book in it.

quote:

Post #: 27075
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:32:16 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree on something then.

Save yourself - burn your house down with the book in it.

Reading JAWS did get me thinking (again) of adaptions.
Minor JAWS,has there been another adaption where it's better than its main source (book)?

I was considering watching The Road ,with the book being one of my favorites,and thinking if there was any point.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27076
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:33:13 PM   
elab49

I would - I think that's one where you can happily appreciate both

quote:

Post #: 27077
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 5:36:53 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Hmm,I might also add that I get abit anal when it come to adaptions.I am more of a book lover than a film lover,to some extent.

But eventually I will watch The Road.It seemed to have gotten great praise so that should make me feel confident atleast.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27078
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 22/2/2013 6:51:55 PM   
AxlReznor

The Godfather. The book is a shitty piece of pulp with a worrying obsession with Sonny Corleone's penis.

(The Road is one of the worst-written pieces of godawful crap that I've ever read which features no narrative, but merely a list of things that happen. And a poorly spelt and punctuated list at that, and the movie was just incredibly boring... can not understand the acclaim for either of them. So I guess if you like the book, you'll like the film )

Post #: 27079
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/2/2013 6:49:45 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

Hmm,I might also add that I get abit anal when it come to adaptions.I am more of a book lover than a film lover,to some extent.

But eventually I will watch The Road.It seemed to have gotten great praise so that should make me feel confident atleast.

You should definitely watch The Road, it's every bit as good as the book.

Post #: 27080
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/2/2013 7:38:17 PM   
will1000

I don't know how unpopular this is, but Skyfall isn't even the best Daniel Craig Bond film...

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27081
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/2/2013 10:22:51 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

I don't know how unpopular this is, but Skyfall isn't even the best Daniel Craig Bond film...

Jesus Christ monkey balls,you've read my mind.

Just finished watching Skyfall and although its a good film the praise and ,dare I say hype, was very very Ott.
I actually thought it was rather predictable.
My only major interest was Daniel Craig who I thought was a very good Bond.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27082
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 23/2/2013 10:49:19 PM   
Whistler

I love Skyfall, but I do still prefer Casino Royale. Just.

Post #: 27083
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 11:02:43 AM   
Hood_Man

Yeah I'm in two minds about it as well. I loved both films, but I think Casino just about pips Skyfall.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 27084
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 11:22:02 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

THIS!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 27085
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 11:23:01 AM   
Dr Lenera

If you're not up on computer games, Wreck-It Ralph is nothing special.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 27086
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 1:40:26 PM   
musht

Quantum of Solace is the Craig's best Bond film. Then CR, and then Skyfall. They're very close though.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 27087
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 8:32:15 PM   
Shifty Bench

Quantum of Solace is the worst Craig Bond film. Skyfall is my favourite but I'm not really a huge Bond fan anyway.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 27088
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 8:38:53 PM   
UTB

I like all three. QOS watched right after CR is immense.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27089
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 24/2/2013 11:53:40 PM   
Dave Oz

I've not watched Skyfall yet, but I reckon QoS is not as bad as it's made out to be. I rather liked it.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 27090
Page:   <<   < prev  901 902 [903] 904 905   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  901 902 [903] 904 905   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI