Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  898 899 [900] 901 902   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 2:50:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: england_cmr

Total Recall, the remake, was perfectly fine as a movie. I actually preferred it to the original, which I think is mediocre at best. Oh god, am I going to be crucified around here now?

I prefer the original but I didn't think the remake was bad. I didn't think it was great but it was passable enough.

Open question- is there any real difference between the theatrical and the extended cut?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 26971
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:24:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

Total Recall, the remake, was perfectly fine as a movie. I actually preferred it to the original, which I think is mediocre at best. Oh god, am I going to be crucified around here now?

Well this IS unpopular opinions and you are entitled to your own.

But you are still wrong.Total Recall is classic Arnie and Verhoven.The remake is humourless,pointless,and lacks any identity of its own.The homages to the original only point out the fact that you could be having more fun watching that.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 26972
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:26:28 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

But you are still wrong.

Delicious.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 26973
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:33:01 PM   
Cool Breeze

The original Recall also had one of Jerry Goldsmiths best action scores ever.

The remake just has another forgettable sonic wallpaper score by Harry Gregson Williams.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 26974
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:42:14 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

But you are still wrong.

No, they are not wrong, they just have a different opinion than you. To say they are wrong is to say that your opinion is the only one that matters, which is tosh. You disagree, fair enough but you really shouldn't be so arrogant as to declare an opposing opinion wrong.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 26975
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:45:57 PM   
garvielloken

Hey Shifty, where have you been dude? And why don't you have a Muppet avatar to cheer me up?

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 26976
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:49:04 PM   
Shifty Bench

Hey, yourself! Life got in the way, I'm afraid. That is what caused my absence, not why I no longer have the av

Post #: 26977
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:51:58 PM   
garvielloken

Well, it's good to see you back. Now satisfy my demands with a cheery Muppet av.

Post #: 26978
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 4:56:48 PM   
Shifty Bench

Cheers

And will the old one do?

Post #: 26979
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 5:14:11 PM   
garvielloken

I'm feeling happier already.

Post #: 26980
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 5:16:02 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

Not by me you wont.
I always thought the original was hugely overated load of rubbish and has not aged at all well.
If you take the remake on its own merits its a good film

The original has a distinct personality, is fresh, vibrant and lively.

The remake is bland, banal, boring bullshit.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 26981
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 5:25:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

I'm feeling happier already.

Post #: 26982
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 3:02:02 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

I've only seen the Extended 2012 version which as you say was perfectly fine. The only negative in my mind was the constant ogling of Beckinsale but I'm sure this was a plus for others.

I felt the big weak link was Beckinsale whom came across as incredibly vapid as lacking in personality in the film. For a character who had so much screen time this was a significant flaw. The rest of the film was diverting enough.

Actually thinking about it both the main female characters were pretty much pointless.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26983
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 9:48:59 PM   
ElephantBoy

Zero Dark Thirty is Bigelow's master piece and deserves to win best picture.

Life of Pi and Lincoln on the other hand are too worthy for their own goods (to be fair I quite liked Lincoln, but this seems a fair remark).

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 26984
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 9:53:02 PM   
horribleives

Just re-watched The Dark Knight Rises - Michael Caine's actually quite crap in it, isn't he?

< Message edited by horribleives -- 10/2/2013 9:54:29 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26985
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 10:22:37 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Just re-watched The Dark Knight Rises - Michael Caine's actually quite crap in it, isn't he?

I thought it was his best of the three, actually. I didn't think much of him in the other two, but then I think he's overrated anyway.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 26986
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 10:55:02 PM   
musht

Skyfall is good, I liked it, but it is NOT the greatest Bond film; it's not even the best Craig-Bond film.

Bardem is great as a good villain with a nothing-new vendetta. He spent put so much effort into doing this perfect plan that goes wrong so he has a hissy fit, calls 1800-henchmen and goes all out in his attempts to kill M.

The reappearance of the Aston Martin was great but it felt somewhat cold after the previous jokes at the old gadgets' expense.

Naomie Harris' character is unnecessary and the "introduction" at the end was just hammy, really there was no need for her character to be present in the rest of the film at all.

Albert Finney isn't Scottish and didn't really make an effort at an accent.

It's too long, we didn't get a faceoff between Bond and Silve, the last act is Home Alone, and komodo dragons don't hunt and kill like that.

As I said earlier I like this film, but it is majorly overrated by critics. I don't know how unpopular this opinion will be on here but it's been annoying me lately and the BAFTA win pushed me over the edge. Skyfall deserves awards for cinematography and possibly music but I honestly don't think it was awards worthy in any other category and I again I'm not saying it was bad just that it wasn't that good.

< Message edited by musht -- 10/2/2013 10:56:41 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26987
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 11:12:23 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

As I said earlier I like this film, but it is majorly overrated by critics. I don't know how unpopular this opinion will be on here but it's been annoying me lately and the BAFTA win pushed me over the edge. Skyfall deserves awards for cinematography and possibly music but I honestly don't think it was awards worthy in any other category and I again I'm not saying it was bad just that it wasn't that good.

Not by a long shot.

All of John Barry and David Arnold's scores piss on it.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 26988
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 11:20:21 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Not by a long shot.

I added it because it did win for music and I honestly can't remember whether it was that good or not

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 26989
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 11:28:56 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Not by a long shot.

I won't deny Barry's consistent excellence whose hieghts very few can reach, but Arnold's were the worst of the franchise. I'm including that fascinating atrocity that was Serra's soundtrack and Kamen's rather bland one.

And Newman gave the best soundtrack since The Living Daylights.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 26990
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 11:30:38 PM   
directorscut

It's not.

Two hours of bland, generic filler.

The praise for the score is flabbergasting and indicative of the death of modern film scoring.

I suspect most of the members hadn't even heard the score, saw Thomas Newman's name, thought "I've heard of him" and checked the box.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 26991
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/2/2013 11:56:00 PM   
Deviation

Bland generic filler is literally the description I would name any score from Tomorrow Never Dies to Quantum of Solace, which sound like something Silvestri or any other bland action composer would do with some added cues from Barry's tracks. At least Skyfall had some color and dunno, actually gave me some desire to re-listen to it something which hasn't happened since Goldeneye (though Goldeneye is mostly to hear how such a thing was possible). Cause it's good and occasionally awesome.

Chimera, Deep Water, Quatermaster, The Moors, Adrenaline and the Istanbul tracks are excellent tracks. They're not Barry, nothing in the franchise will have those stylish, out-there tones as Barry and that brilliant marriage of synths, jazz and orchestra he had (or his tracks written for the Afghanistan bits in The Living Daylights, which is Jarre in greatness), but it's a damned improvement over Arnold.

Also, I take back "the worst of the franchise bit", I forgot Martin, Hamlisch and the uninteresting atrocity that was Conti's For Your Eyes Only soundtrack. At least Arnold achieved some balance between "synths" and orchestral, those didn't.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 11/2/2013 12:00:59 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 26992
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 4:33:06 AM   
england_cmr

I've thought of another one - I like every Terminator movie to date. Of course the first two are the superior of the lot, with the second being one of my absolute favourite's of all time (see my avatar) but the third and fourth are still enjoyable in a 'Well at least they're still Terminator films' sort of way.

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 26993
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 10:46:24 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The first two Terminator films are classics in my eyes,though I'll always prefer the first.
The third and fourth don't really do much for me,but I do admire the third for ending on a interesting note.

Salvation,I found,deeply boring.Poor acting,surprisingly uninteresting CGI effects and a painting-by-numbers story arc/concept.

I hear they'll be doing another in the next few years (or I think I heard) and I do wonder where the story will be heading.
The small future-war scenes in the first two films and how they were captured visually were promising moments to build on in future installments while Salvation didn't really give me that sense of interest.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 11/2/2013 10:47:29 AM >

Post #: 26994
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 11:17:20 AM   
Whistler

If I absolutely had to choose, I probably just prefer Terminator 1 over Judgement Day. But they're both phenomenal. And I do enjoy ROTM.

I used to think I liked Salvation, but the last time I watched it I switched off half way through 'cause I got really, really bored. Apprehensive is probably the word to use for Terminator 5.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 26995
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 11:23:25 AM   
Shifty Bench

The first Terminator film is my favourite but I do enjoy 2 a great deal. Not too keen on the other two.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26996
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 11:23:40 AM   
AxlReznor

I really enjoyed Salvation. I loved that we finally got to see the war with the machines first-hand instead of just in flashbacks. It's not a great film by any means, but as an action movie it's good fun.
I enjoyed Rise Of The Machines, too... but it's by far the worst of the lot, with Judgement Day being the best.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26997
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 11:34:22 AM   
vad3r

T2 > T1 > T:SCC > T4 > T3.

Next Terminator film:

Director - JJ Abrams
Main Terminator - The Rock
Hero - Ryan Gosling
Sarah Connor type role - Amy Adams

Job done.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 26998
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 2:32:09 PM   
V.E.N.O.M

Am I just dredging up old shit if I say Prometheus and Van Helsing are good films?

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26999
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/2/2013 2:35:37 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: V.E.N.O.M

Am I just dredging up old shit if I say Prometheus and Van Helsing are good films?

Prometheus is a good,good film.Cant get my head around the total amount of negative criticism it got.
Van Helsing is a light-fun gothic film.

(in reply to V.E.N.O.M)
Post #: 27000
Page:   <<   < prev  898 899 [900] 901 902   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  898 899 [900] 901 902   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI