Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  897 898 [899] 900 901   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/1/2013 6:59:16 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juice Terry

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Jackie Brown is Quentin Tarantino's best film, though admittedly I haven't seen Django Unchained yet.

This is probably the opposite of an unpopular opinion

Really? I always thought Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and possibly even Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds, were all rated more highly than Jackie Brown.

I think it's just that fewer people have seen Jackie Brown.

I think thats a fair point, but it does seem that the likes of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs get much more attention and hype. Also I suspect that most of his core fanbase are into the over the top violence and swearing of PF

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26941
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/1/2013 7:33:22 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Jackie Brown is Quentin Tarantino's best film, though admittedly I haven't seen Django Unchained yet.

This is probably the opposite of an unpopular opinion

Really? I always thought Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and possibly even Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds, were all rated more highly than Jackie Brown.

I think it's just that fewer people have seen Jackie Brown.

I think thats a fair point, but it does seem that the likes of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs get much more attention and hype. Also I suspect that most of his core fanbase are into the over the top violence and swearing of PF

I've heard a few people say this but I always found the violence in Pulp Fiction quite subtle. Sure, there's a lot of blood but the camera rarely dwells on the violent acts themselves, most of which are quick and painful. Ditto Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. The over-the-top stuff only started from Kill Bill onwards - which admittedly suited the material perfectly - though with Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained he seems to have settled on (in his words) a half and half approach (i'd say it's more 70-30 myself): a split between the brutal serious stuff (which funnily enough, tends to be far less graphic) and kinetic, stylised, bloody shoot-outs etc. Both of which he still pulls off brilliantly but much as I enjoyed Django... I did find myself yearning for more of the more realistic, upsetting depictions of bloodshed of his early films: as I slightly over-exaggerated in the review thread, his first three movies look like they were directed by Alan Clarke or someone compared to his recent work.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 28/1/2013 7:34:49 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26942
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 28/1/2013 8:13:10 PM   
UTB

Jackie Brown is most definitely my favourite Tarantino film. Though I do like them all. Apart from Death Proof. But really my only problem with Death Proof is Tracy Thom's dialogue.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 26943
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/1/2013 2:05:02 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Jackie Brown is most definitely my favourite Tarantino film. Though I do like them all. Apart from Death Proof. But really my only problem with Death Proof is Tracy Thom's dialogue.

Been a good few years since I've seen it, what irks you about it? I don't remember it being particularly outlandish, just her performance was a little annoying.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26944
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 29/1/2013 2:47:48 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

She was really annoying.I really wish QT would stop putting his movie dialogue on his otherwise excellent soundtrack albums.When i put on a cd i like to hear the music, if i want to hear the dialogue i will just watch the movie!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26945
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 1:39:58 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

quote:

Been a good few years since I've seen it, what irks you about it? I don't remember it being particularly outlandish, just her performance was a little annoying.

It might be the way some people talk in real life but every single other word out of her mouth was fuck, fucking, fucker or motherfucker and it made her dialogue just irritatingly boring to listen to. And unfortunately she's in it quite a lot. Everyone else in it seems quite subdued and subtle.

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 26946
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 2:27:27 PM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

quote:

It might be the way some people talk in real life but every single other word out of her mouth was fuck, fucking, fucker or motherfucker and it made her dialogue just irritatingly boring to listen to. And unfortunately she's in it quite a lot. Everyone else in it seems quite subdued and subtle.

The Mexican guy in End Of Watch gives her a run for her money.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26947
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 2:56:55 PM   
UTB

Ah don't say that... I was looking forward to that.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26948
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 3:22:35 PM   
Whistler

You should still - it's a great film, despite how hard he tries to make it not so.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26949
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 3:39:10 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

The Mexican guy in End Of Watch gives her a run for her money.

One of the most annoying things I've seen in a film in recent years. He felt more like a parody of a Mexican gang member than an actual character. The ugly camera work put me off the film as well. There was quite a few times when I felt like I was watching an episode of Cops.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26950
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 8:28:35 PM   
Coyleone

Oh yeah, the guy in End Of Watch was really annoying to listen to.

Django Unchained is Tarantino's best film since 'Fiction. It was brilliant. I loved everything about it apart from QT's acting, but I even really liked that scene, especially the climax to it resulting in one of the coolest moments I've seen for a long time. Loved it, probably an unhealthy amount.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 26951
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 8:36:38 PM   
vad3r

Never understood the criticism of QT's acting. I like it, he's got a unique look and clearly enjoys getting in front of the camera. Much better than Shyamalan's efforts at least.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 30/1/2013 8:59:20 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 26952
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 8:40:43 PM   
Whistler

He's great in Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, From Dusk Till Dawn, Desperado, Little Nicky and Death Proof. It must've just been the Aussie accent...

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26953
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 10:17:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah like every one else doesn't talk like that in that film

Come on quit joking around the guy can not act, he sort of gets away with it From Dusk To Dawn because he doesn't have to do much and has Clooney taking the lead, but every other example you just think "Thats Tarantino, he shouldn't be onscreen"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26954
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 30/1/2013 10:23:26 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah like every one else doesn't talk like that in that film

Come on quit joking around the guy can not act, he sort of gets away with it From Dusk To Dawn because he doesn't have to do much and has Clooney taking the lead, but every other example you just think "Thats Tarantino, he shouldn't be onscreen"

I don't.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26955
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/2/2013 11:03:48 AM   
AxlReznor

Neither do I, for that matter. Sure, he can't act... but that's never stopped people before. And he's hardly the worst actor in the world.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26956
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/2/2013 3:57:42 PM   
Oriainarama

cinderella is terrible

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 26957
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 1/2/2013 4:16:42 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Oh yeah, the guy in End Of Watch was really annoying to listen to.

Django Unchained is Tarantino's best film since 'Fiction. It was brilliant. I loved everything about it apart from QT's acting, but I even really liked that scene, especially the climax to it resulting in one of the coolest moments I've seen for a long time. Loved it, probably an unhealthy amount.

Yeah, his cameo went on a little too long. Nothing unhealthy about your love for it, I thought it was tremendous, and the few moments after the climax of that scene were really cool. I loved Django.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 26958
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2013 10:44:36 PM   
Dave Oz

My unpopular opinion: I'm a huge Batman devotee and I do like Chris Nolan movies, but I didn't think much of his Batman films. They left me cold, sadly. I really wanted to like them a lot.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 26959
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2013 10:51:51 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Oz

My unpopular opinion: I'm a huge Batman devotee and I do like Chris Nolan movies, but I didn't think much of his Batman films. They left me cold, sadly. I really wanted to like them a lot.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion, but please don't start this again.

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 26960
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2013 11:49:12 PM   
Dave Oz

quote:

quote:

Fair enough, I respect your opinion, but please don't start this again.

Again? It's the first time I've ever broached the issue.

Has this been discussed to death prior to my post? Oops, sorry.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26961
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2013 11:55:31 PM   
Shifty Bench

To death and back, mate. You're entitled to air your opinion though, so no need to apologise

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 8/2/2013 11:56:12 PM >

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 26962
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 8/2/2013 11:58:58 PM   
Dave Oz

Thanks for the heads-up!

Another one: I think 'The Other Guys' is one of the most underrated comedy movies of the past decade, and I think Mark Wahlberg is absolutely class in it.

EDIT: I should clarify that the extended cut is the version I saw on Blu-ray, and apparently that includes some extra scenes which were cut from the standard release. So, for example, the art-gallery scene is sublime, and I was rather disturbed to learn that scene wasn't in the theatrical cut. Madness.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 9/2/2013 12:01:24 AM >

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 26963
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 12:05:33 AM   
Whistler

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to come across as aggressive towards you or anything. I'm just really fed up with the Batman arguments around here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 26964
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 12:13:39 AM   
Dave Oz

quote:

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to come across as aggressive towards you or anything. I'm just really fed up with the Batman arguments around here.

Hey, no worries. I should've scouted ahead, as it were.

You should see the Burton vs Nolan shenanigans in comments underneath YouTube videos. It gets so personal at times. My loyalty lies with the character (Batman) first and foremost. However anyone wishes to interpret the character is up to them. For the record I think the Batman movie playing in my head will never get made, so I suppose it's a bonus to see other people coming up with their versions of that universe even though it may not be to my liking. I mean, on a technical level I can appreciate the mastery of 'The Dark Knight' however I would say I never really "felt it" if you know what I mean. But I would never describe it as a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination. 'The Dark Knight Rises' is a bit different because I think it just seemed a bit flat overall.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 9/2/2013 12:18:35 AM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26965
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 12:17:30 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Another one: I think 'The Other Guys' is one of the most underrated comedy movies of the past decade, and I think Mark Wahlberg is absolutely class in it.

If that's the one with Will Ferrell in it then you can count me out.

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 26966
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 12:20:09 AM   
Dave Oz

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

If that's the one with Will Ferrell in it then you can count me out.

He's actually rather restrained in it. To be fair I only really liked him in 'Anchorman' prior to watching 'The Other Guys'. I wouldn't say I'm a fan.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 26967
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 5:32:54 AM   
england_cmr

Total Recall, the remake, was perfectly fine as a movie. I actually preferred it to the original, which I think is mediocre at best. Oh god, am I going to be crucified around here now?

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 26968
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 9:53:10 AM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: england_cmr

Total Recall, the remake, was perfectly fine as a movie. I actually preferred it to the original, which I think is mediocre at best. Oh god, am I going to be crucified around here now?

Not by me you wont.
I always thought the original was hugely overated load of rubbish and has not aged at all well.
If you take the remake on its own merits its a good film

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 26969
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 9/2/2013 10:20:34 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: england_cmr

I've only seen the Extended 2012 version which as you say was perfectly fine. The only negative in my mind was the constant ogling of Beckinsale but I'm sure this was a plus for others.

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 26970
Page:   <<   < prev  897 898 [899] 900 901   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  897 898 [899] 900 901   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI