Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  887 888 [889] 890 891   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 12:26:11 AM   
Coyleone

I love Anchorman, probably my favourite modern comedy (modern being, I dunno, last 10 years or so). Never fails to make me laugh. I'm a fan of all of McKay and Ferrell's collaborations though.

Here's a relatively new one, maybe not that unpopular, but I'd never heard of the film before today, sooooo......Safety Not Guaranteed is the best film of the year (so far).

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 26641
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 8:14:42 AM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

The only thing I remember about Land of the Lost is Anna Friel in shorts.

That's why I like it. Not  a fan of Anchorman at all.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26642
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 9:34:58 AM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Here's one for you lot, and I'm going to elaborate on my opinion instead of just saying "lol it's overrated".

The adulation that Anchorman receives has always baffled me. It does a couple of pretty chucklesome moments and I do have a lot of time for McKay and Ferrell's later collaborations like Step Brothers and Talladega Nights. But for me, Anchorman isn't really that funny. There's very little wit to it. It is essentially people just saying random weird things and shouting a lot.

I never got Ferrell in general but I wholeheartedly agree.

I agree, how many agrees do you need before its no longer an unpopular opinion?. 40 yr old Virgin is superior to all the above mentioned movies! but on a par with Elf

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 26643
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 10:32:14 AM   
shool

I love anchorman. Mainly for its massive quotability factor.
But I think Superbad and 40 Year old virgin are funnier.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 26644
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 12:20:13 PM   
Coyleone

I don't think 40 Year Old Virgin is funnier, might be a better film though.

Also, Elf is abysmal. Easily one of Ferrell's worst films, and that's saying quite a lot because he's been is some awful stuff.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 26645
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 12:47:42 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

The Tree Of Life remains this decade's crowning achievement in film.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 26646
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 12:52:54 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

I don't think 40 Year Old Virgin is funnier, might be a better film though.

Also, Elf is abysmal. Easily one of Ferrell's worst films, and that's saying quite a lot because he's been is some awful stuff.

Elf is Ferrell at his finest. Looking forward to Elf in a few weeks time! followed by Scrooged , Muppets Christmas and Home Alone 1 and 2!!.. I love Christmas!! Merry Christmas one and all!!

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 26647
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 12:53:59 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

just when this thread appears to waiver out of context, someone always brings it back around. I salute you, even though you are clearly insane.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 26648
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 1:12:28 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

just when this thread appears to waiver out of context, someone always brings it back around. I salute you, even though you are clearly insane.

Up until seeing The Master I'd have agreed with Squid.

What would you go with Danny?

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/11/2012 1:15:31 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 26649
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 1:22:18 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Up until seeing The Master I'd have agreed with Squid.

What would you go with Danny?

Well, the wording 'crowning achievement' has different connotations than say `best movie`. LotR trilogy could be a crowning achievement in film, for filming the once unfilmable, but not the greatest movie. I find these sorts of questions very difficult , I prefer whats your favourite Horror movie, romantic movie etc. Id have to think on movie of the decade, saying that I believe Godfather is the greatest movie ever made , and I like to think that could never be an unpopular opinion

Just throwing this out there, but I anyone else think that TV in the past decade has become a more fulfilling experience that watching a movie?. think I might give that question its own thread.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 6/11/2012 1:24:19 PM >

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 26650
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 2:00:55 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Well, the wording 'crowning achievement' has different connotations than say `best movie`. LotR trilogy could be a crowning achievement in film, for filming the once unfilmable, but not the greatest movie. I find these sorts of questions very difficult , I prefer whats your favourite Horror movie, romantic movie etc. Id have to think on movie of the decade, saying that I believe Godfather is the greatest movie ever made , and I like to think that could never be an unpopular opinion

I took Squid's comment to mean this decade (2010-2020). If we're going back to 2000 then I'd stick There Will Be Blood at the top.

quote:

Just throwing this out there, but I anyone else think that TV in the past decade has become a more fulfilling experience that watching a movie?. think I might give that question its own thread.

I know a bunch of people who think along those lines, but I can't get on board with it. I was at a Q&A with Mark Cousins earlier this year when someone in the audience asked "Is it just me, or are there fewer masterpieces being made these days?" to which Cousins replied "It's just you". Cinema is offering so much at the moment, with the key difference perhaps being that one has to seek it out in a more forceful manner than they do with television. TV is a lot more accessible, and while I do get swept up in the medium occasionally (Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead are real favourites) the experience just doesn't compares to how cinema can make me feel. Time aside, I can't think of one thing television does better than cinema. Nor do I get the same buzz out of approaching television from an analytical perspective.

Obviously this is all very personal, and different folk react to different things in a different way, but the notion that television is the new heir to what film once was goes way back (Roberto Rossellini declared the cinema to be "dead" in 1962 and it's still going strong) and I don't see that as ever really changing (the two are destined to be at loggerheads/complement each other forever).

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/11/2012 2:03:23 PM >

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 26651
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 2:18:54 PM   
horribleives

I think it depends on the genre. The best TV comedy is way sharper, cleverer and funnier than 90% of cinema comedy. Having said that there's way more comedy on telly than at the cinema.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 6/11/2012 2:19:40 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 26652
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 2:35:34 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

I took Squid's comment to mean this decade (2010-2020). If we're going back to 2000 then I'd stick There Will Be Blood at the top.

quote:

I know a bunch of people who think along those lines, but I can't get on board with it. I was at a Q&A with Mark Cousins earlier this year when someone in the audience asked "Is it just me, or are there fewer masterpieces being made these days?" to which Cousins replied "It's just you". Cinema is offering so much at the moment, with the key difference perhaps being that one has to seek it out in a more forceful manner than they do with television. TV is a lot more accessible, and while I do get swept up in the medium occasionally (Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead are real favourites) the experience just doesn't compares to how cinema can make me feel. Time aside, I can't think of one thing television does better than cinema. Nor do I get the same buzz out of approaching television from an analytical perspective.

Obviously this is all very personal, and different folk react to different things in a different way, but the notion that television is the new heir to what film once was goes way back (Roberto Rossellini declared the cinema to be "dead" in 1962 and it's still going strong) and I don't see that as ever really changing (the two are destined to be at loggerheads/complement each other forever).

I'm still thinking, i awasthinking along the terms of a masterpiece (2002-12) movie that comes somewhere close the Godfather......hmmm. There will be Blood would rank as a masterpiece of a movie. Ifs it 2010-20! I'm struggling to think of a masterpiece , there may be one, I just haven't seen it yet.

I would say for me, TV has been awesome in the last ten years. I haven't seen a movie in the last decade that given me the same buzz I've got from both TV drama and comedy. I've yet to watch a comedy film recently that gets me breathless with laughter like Modern Family does! or tense and delirious (OMG what happens next) like early Dexter (trinity season), Walking Dead and recently Breaking Bad!. I had one buzz moment at the cinema recently in Avengers, final scene, Hulk etc, that felt great!. but few and far between this decade. I'm really hoping Lincoln will be great, and as a Superman fan I am hoping that MoS proves me wrong.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 6/11/2012 2:42:13 PM >

Post #: 26653
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 2:38:05 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I think it depends on the genre. The best TV comedy is way sharper, cleverer and funnier than 90% of cinema comedy. Having said that there's way more comedy on telly than at the cinema.

Yeah but on the other hand TV has more time for characterisation as well. I have a huge wishlist of books I'd like to see adapted to screen. Stuff like Sandman, Preacher, American Gods, Anansi Boys, The First Law trilogy etc. My preference, without exception, would be to see them adapted into TV seasons rather than film because the characterisation would suffer in a more condensed format. I also think Harry Potter would have been much better if they'd spread it out over a number of TV mini seasons. The films are alright, for what they are, but TV always seemed a more appropriate place for the Harry Potter series to me.

It all depends really dunnit.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 26654
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 2:41:29 PM   
MonsterCat

I liked The Tree of Life.

I do have my reservations about it, though. The dinosaur scene being one of them.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26655
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 2:46:50 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Yeah but on the other hand TV has more time for characterisation as well. I have a huge wishlist of books I'd like to see adapted to screen. Stuff like Sandman, Preacher, American Gods, Anansi Boys, The First Law trilogy etc. My preference, without exception, would be to see them adapted into TV seasons rather than film because the characterisation would suffer in a more condensed format. I also think Harry Potter would have been much better if they'd spread it out over a number of TV mini seasons. The films are alright, for what they are, but TV always seemed a more appropriate place for the Harry Potter series to me.

Agreed, many recent adaptions deserve a TV series. I would much prefer to see the Anne Rice Vampire series adapted to TV series than any more movies..but is this because movies have failed so badly recently when it comes to adapting novels or it just makes more sense given the expansive material.

Post #: 26656
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 3:17:30 PM   
vad3r

quote:

TV right now is superior to films in every genre. Especially comedy and drama. No drama on film comes close to stuff like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Spartacus, Dexter etc. Equally no comedy on film comes close to Parks and Recreation, Community, Louie, Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, It's Always Sunny, South Park, Happy Endings etc.
TV in recent years has even been doing genre stuff better than film also. Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural, Fringe, Walking Dead, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, American Horror Story etc. being recent examples.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 6/11/2012 3:21:00 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 26657
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 4:53:53 PM   
adambatman82

For me there's a lack of sincerity in TV. I get the impression that nobody wants to be working there, or rather they'd prefer to be working in cinema. Abrams and Chase have proven this, while even Whedon only turned to the small screen after he couldn't hack the big. Currently the only real tv artist is David Simon, the rest are using it as either a stepping stone or as a forced alternative.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/11/2012 7:46:14 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 26658
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 5:02:13 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

For there's a lack of sincerity in TV. I get the impression that nobody wants to be working there, or rather they'd prefer to be working in cinema. Abrams and Chase have proven this, while even Whedon only turned to the small screen after he couldn't hack the big. Currently the only real tv artist is David Simon, the rest are using it as either a stepping stone or as a forced alternative.

Always surprised how the HBO crop of rotating directors have never broken out. They have dealt with everything from gangster dramas, to horror to fantasy and historical epics, yet never really got onto the big screen.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 26659
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 5:41:49 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I completely agree with this but then the money was always in a big film franchise.

Post #: 26660
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 5:45:33 PM   
horribleives

quote:

For there's a lack of sincerity in TV. I get the impression that nobody wants to be working there, or rather they'd prefer to be working in cinema. Abrams and Chase have proven this, while even Whedon only turned to the small screen after he couldn't hack the big. Currently the only real tv artist is David Simon, the rest are using it as either a stepping stone or as a forced alternative.

Hmm, there's a hell of a lot of sweeping statements in that post.
Your point may have been the case 20 years ago but it's really not the same these days - for every writer/director/actor who may see TV as a leg-up to a movie career there are scores who prefer working in quality TV due to the relative freedom and creativity it can encourage. I don't think Abrams and Whedon are very good examples either as they still work in both mediums and as for Chase, he may have always wanted to direct films but he also only (belatedly) took that route once he'd said and achieved everything he was determined to in television.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 26661
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 7:36:36 PM   
Deviation

Coulter, the guy who was responsible for directing episodes in Boardwalk Empire (including the brilliant episode where Jimmy meets Harrow), The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Rome, Six Feet Under did direct Remember Me which was a decent hit. It was also one of the worst films ever but there was at least one who found himself on the big screen.

He also did Hollywoodland.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 26662
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 7:40:32 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Coulter, the guy who was responsible for directing episodes in Boardwalk Empire (including the brilliant episode where Jimmy meets Harrow), The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Rome, Six Feet Under did direct Remember Me which was a decent hit. It was also one of the worst films ever but there was at least one who found himself on the big screen.

He also did Hollywoodland.

One of them is directing Thor 2 too.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 26663
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 7:42:09 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

Hmm, there's a hell of a lot of sweeping statements in that post.

Of course there is, this is unpopular opinions! I tried the staggered, reasonable approach in the post before the one we're discussing now, only for it to be met with the usual kind of swagger we find in here. When in Rome etc.

Post #: 26664
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 7:45:37 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Always surprised how the HBO crop of rotating directors have never broken out. They have dealt with everything from gangster dramas, to horror to fantasy and historical epics, yet never really got onto the big screen.

I think it's because they're mainly craftsmen, and not artists, which leaves them best suited for television. If it's a case of directing episodes of quality television like Boardwalk, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad etc, or directing forgettable studio fodder then I know which I'd rather be doing. In that respect a production house like HBO is like a modern equivalent to the old studio system.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26665
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 7:55:42 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Your point may have been the case 20 years ago but it's really not the same these days - for every writer/director/actor who may see TV as a leg-up to a movie career there are scores who prefer working in quality TV due to the relative freedom and creativity it can encourage.

Such as? David Simon is the only major figure I can think of that hasn't either moved towards Hollywood, or moved in to television after failing in Hollywood. Maybe Terrence Winter too.

quote:

I don't think Abrams and Whedon are very good examples either as they still work in both mediums and as for Chase, he may have always wanted to direct films but he also only (belatedly) took that route once he'd said and achieved everything he was determined to in television.

I've always seen Whedon as a man searching for something to stick. Every property he's ever come up with seems to have struggled/failed. Now that he's with Marvel I suspect he'll do whatever he's told to. Abrams on the other hand doesn't seem to have looked back from Hollywood. Sure, he's stuck his name to a few projects, but his focus seems to be very much on the film side of things. It's certainly what he's most notable for these days.

Post #: 26666
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 8:18:50 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Your point may have been the case 20 years ago but it's really not the same these days - for every writer/director/actor who may see TV as a leg-up to a movie career there are scores who prefer working in quality TV due to the relative freedom and creativity it can encourage.

Such as?

Well, of the top of my head - Chuck Lorre, David Crane, Marta Kaufman, Christopher Lloyd, Louis CK, Dan Harmon, Rob McElhenny, Armando Llanucci, Frank Darabont, Howard Gordon, Alan Ball, Ricky Gervais, Matthew Weiner, Terence Winter...and loads more including a ton of others I've never heard of. Sure, a couple of those have worked in film but it's a massive generalisation to suggest that anyone working in TV only does so because they couldn't make it in cinema, or they're simply hanging around waiting for an offer from Hollywood. I'm sure that is the case for a few but plenty actually enjoy the medium and prefer it's emphasis on writing and characterisation (especially for the likes of HBO, AMC and Showtime), something not always guarenteed in (mainstream) cinema.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 6/11/2012 8:27:49 PM >

Post #: 26667
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 8:45:51 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Well, of the top of my head - Chuck Lorre, David Crane, Marta Kaufman, Christopher Lloyd, Louis CK, Dan Harmon, Rob McElhenny, Frank Darabont, Howard Gordon, Alan Ball, Matthew Weiner...and loads more including a ton of others I've never heard of. Sure, a couple of those have worked in film but it's a massive generalisation to suggest that anyone working in TV only does so because they couldn't make it in cinema, or they're simply hanging around waiting for an offer from Hollywood. I'm sure that is the case for a few but plenty actually enjoy the medium and prefer it's emphasis on writing and characterisation (especially for the likes of HBO, AMC and Showtime), something not always guarenteed in (mainstream) cinema.

The ones that you've mentioned that are significant names in popular culture have all flirted with Hollywood tho, and been spat out the other end. Louis CK is a great example. Darabont is another, albeit from the opposite side of the fence, in the sense that he proved that television couldn't house the vision of a significant filmmaker (I'm no fan of his, but he's a notable filmmaker nonetheless). I love The Walking Dead, but as his experience has shown, the confines of television proved fatal for his relationship with that property in the medium. The other names mentioned are either one-hit wonders (Crane) or niche figures, and are mostly figures involved in comedy, the cinematic output of which I ain't about to start defending.

Interestingly I note that Weiner (who I had to google: another case of the property being bigger than the creator, a common trope for television) is planting the seeds of a transition over to film for when Mad Men finishes in 2 years time, similarly to how David Chase has done so.

While I think Alan Ball had his greatest success with (and remains to be defined by) his work in cinema, I accept that some of his television work has been just as notable.

quote:

Sure, a couple of those have worked in film but it's a massive generalisation to suggest that anyone working in TV only does so because they couldn't make it in cinema, or they're simply hanging around waiting for an offer from Hollywood.

I don't know, it might be a bit of a generalisation, but the evidence presented certainly seems to back up this line of thinking. Pretty much every major creative player in television appears to have aspirations of working in film, while I don't think the opposite can be said of those working in film.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 6/11/2012 8:51:37 PM >

Post #: 26668
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 9:05:33 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Well, of the top of my head - Chuck Lorre, David Crane, Marta Kaufman, Christopher Lloyd, Louis CK, Dan Harmon, Rob McElhenny, Frank Darabont, Howard Gordon, Alan Ball, Matthew Weiner...and loads more including a ton of others I've never heard of. Sure, a couple of those have worked in film but it's a massive generalisation to suggest that anyone working in TV only does so because they couldn't make it in cinema, or they're simply hanging around waiting for an offer from Hollywood. I'm sure that is the case for a few but plenty actually enjoy the medium and prefer it's emphasis on writing and characterisation (especially for the likes of HBO, AMC and Showtime), something not always guarenteed in (mainstream) cinema.

The ones that you've mentioned that are significant names in popular culture have all flirted with Hollywood tho, and been spat out the other end. Louis CK is a great example. Darabont is another, albeit from the opposite side of the fence, in the sense that he proved that television couldn't house the vision of a significant filmmaker (I'm no fan of his, but he's a notable filmmaker nonetheless). I love The Walking Dead, but as his experience has shown, the confines of television proved fatal for his relationship with that property in the medium. The other names mentioned are either one-hit wonders (Crane) or niche figures, and are mostly figures involved in comedy, the cinematic output of which I ain't about to start defending.

Interestingly I note that Weiner (who I had to google: another case of the property being bigger than the creator, a common trope for television) is planting the seeds of a transition over to film for when Mad Men finishes in 2 years time, similarly to how David Chase has done so.

While I think Alan Ball had his greatest success with (and remains to be defined by) his work in cinema, I accept that some of his television work has been just as notable.

quote:

Sure, a couple of those have worked in film but it's a massive generalisation to suggest that anyone working in TV only does so because they couldn't make it in cinema, or they're simply hanging around waiting for an offer from Hollywood.

I don't know, it might be a bit of a generalisation, but the evidence presented certainly seems to back up this line of thinking. Pretty much every major creative player in television appears to have aspirations of working in film, while I don't think the opposite can be said of those working in film.

Perhaps, but there are plenty who've had success with film (Gervais and Llanucci spring to mind) and stil returned to work in TV, or those who have worked almost exclusively in TV for a long time (Vince Gilligan, Howard Gordon) who are responsible for some of the best (and most popular) TV in years. I find it hard to believe that every season of Breaking Bad or Homeland has been a calculated effort for the aforementioned two to begin their Hollywood careers.

Post #: 26669
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/11/2012 10:01:12 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I find it hard to believe that every season of Breaking Bad or Homeland has been a calculated effort for the aforementioned two to begin their Hollywood careers.

To be fair that's not really what I'm saying. My initial point was that the two exist together and are very different. My three favourite films of 2012 to date could not be exist in any format other than cinema (Tabu, Holy Motors, The Master), while one might say the same of my favourite television shows. The point about TV creatives having aspirations of working in cinema was more to do with the sweeping remarks that EVERYTHING works better as television, which simply isn't true.

Post #: 26670
Page:   <<   < prev  887 888 [889] 890 891   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  887 888 [889] 890 891   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI