Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  881 882 [883] 884 885   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 3:21:57 AM   
Whistler

Paranormal Activity and Insidious are both shit scary. The PA sequels are pretty creepy too.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26461
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 6:55:37 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

What was the last great Horror film?

Cabin in the Woods
quote:

Or one that scared you sh*tless ?

That one's harder, I think Paranormal Activity/The Orphanage, back in 2007.

Cabin in the Woods was more of a horror comedy which I don't think was meant to be scary. There are certain things in there which work as horror, like the special effects and some sinster voyisusm.

Yeah, it wasn't particularly scary, but it's definitely a horror film, and its testament to its quality that it's a great one even though it's not terrifying (Though that fucked up ballerina thing made me jump)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

There's only been 2 moments in recent years where horror movies have made me literally jump. The first being the scene in Paranormal Activity 2 where EVERYTHING OPENS in the kitchen, and the scene in Insidious where the red-faced demon first appears at the dinner table..

That was a good moment, shame it was the only remotely scary thing in the movie.

Thinking about it, I should probably try Insidious again, I remember enjoying it till it did a 180 degree shift into wackytown about half an hour from the end.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 26462
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 7:40:25 AM   
Whistler

quote:

quote:

There's only been 2 moments in recent years where horror movies have made me literally jump. The first being the scene in Paranormal Activity 2 where EVERYTHING OPENS in the kitchen, and the scene in Insidious where the red-faced demon first appears at the dinner table..

That was a good moment, shame it was the only remotely scary thing in the movie.

Thinking about it, I should probably try Insidious again, I remember enjoying it till it did a 180 degree shift into wackytown about half an hour from the end.

Or as I like to call "Jeepers Creepers territory". It annoyed me too, but the rest of the film is top notch horror.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 26463
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 12:58:05 PM   
Coyleone

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

The only feeling House of the Devil elicited from me was utter boredom.

Hey, Ti West, a slow burn pace is a good thing, but you also have to have scary stuff happen, too.

I thought the scene just before the final act were the lights go off and she's stuck in that room with someone trying to get in was amazingly filmed and edited, and genuinely freaky. There was also a definite feeling of tension throughout which is missing from most modern horror.

The Orphanage was a great film. Not very scary, but a great film.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26464
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 1:12:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Paranormal Activity and Insidious are both shit scary. The PA sequels are pretty creepy too.

Well you certainly got the shit part right in Insidious

Jeepers Creepers I liked and the second one was decent too, actually wouldn't mind seeing a third part and there aren't many modern horrors I would say that about.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 12/9/2012 1:13:57 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 26465
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 7:47:33 AM   
snaze1

quote:

quote:

Jeepers Creepers I liked and the second one was decent too, actually wouldn't mind seeing a third part and there aren't many modern horrors I would say that about.

Your not wrong about Insidious, i really dont understand the love for this film.
It had a few half decent jump scares but other than that was utter rubbish!
People seem to forget there is a big difference between being made to jump by something sudden and actually getting scared or a feeling of dread from a film.
My fave films of the last 10 years are Paranormal activity (Built the suspense slowly over each nightwith some creepy moments and good scares) and The woman in black (Again, built the tension well and had some VERY disturbing images for a 12 rated film).
Also my fave of all time is The Exorcist

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26466
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 8:55:17 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

The Paranormal Activity films (in particular the third one) scared the crap out of me.

I think the 3rd film is an incredible piece of work and my favourite found-footage horror film by a mile*, and I'm a huge fan of that genre.

*yes, better than Noroi, The Last Broadcast, BWP etc.

@ChairmanBLAOW

Post #: 26467
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 10:17:15 AM   
gunstar

S&man is the most frightening film I've seen for an age.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 26468
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 11:17:29 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

S & M Man?

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 26469
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 12:06:55 PM   
gunstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

S & M Man?

Nope.

This: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800361/

It's a fairly disturbing documentary about underground exploitative horror that gradually turns into something else.
Great companion piece to Peeping Tom as it shares many of its themes. It's also extremely frightening.

< Message edited by gunstar -- 13/9/2012 12:08:10 PM >

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 26470
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 12:12:09 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

I call bullshit, how were you not scared by this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXk3sJhqvmU

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 26471
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 12:19:43 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

The Descent is the last most recent horror movie to properly shit me up. I was really impressed by how claustrophobic and properly fucking scary it really was. Repeat viewings have lessened its impact somewhat, but it's still really good and Neil Marshall's best film by a country mile.

That night vision bit. *shudder*

And as others have said Paranormal Activity stuck with me for days afterward. As well as the final scene in [REC]. "Oh, God. Oh, Jesus. What's that thing in the next room? It doesn't look human." I actually, and am a little embassed to admit, watched that bit through my fingers.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26472
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 12:28:56 PM   
Scott_

Films don't tend to scare me, Dead Space however....

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 26473
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 12:39:06 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

I call bullshit, how were you not scared by this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXk3sJhqvmU

That pool cleaner was easily the best character in the movie.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 26474
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 12:58:03 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

Paranormal Activity series for me too, also The Grudge creeped me out too, that horrible gargling noise is freaky!!

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 26475
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 1:47:18 PM   
Chief

Having just recently watched the sequels to Paranormal Activity I can happily say the first is the scariest. All three were creepy as fuck but by the third one I was kind of prepared. The build up of tension was awesome in all of them though.

Although the guy was really annoying in the first - why are you sticking your head in the loft???

Post #: 26476
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 2:02:08 PM   
Whistler

The bit that scared me the most in all three Paranormal Activitys is when Katie gets dragged down the hallway The first time I saw that... oh my god.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 26477
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 3:18:03 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

The Descent is the last most recent horror movie to properly shit me up. I was really impressed by how claustrophobic and properly fucking scary it really was. Repeat viewings have lessened its impact somewhat, but it's still really good and Neil Marshall's best film by a country mile.

That night vision bit. *shudder*

And as others have said Paranormal Activity stuck with me for days afterward. As well as the final scene in [REC]. "Oh, God. Oh, Jesus. What's that thing in the next room? It doesn't look human." I actually, and am a little embassed to admit, watched that bit through my fingers.

Paranormal Activity is very tense throughout and the scares do work, though the pool scenes did take the piss in the second it was still a good follow up. Not seen the third.

REC is awesome. It really does get scary and I love the second as well. The shift in tone in the second occurs very early on, catches you off guard and is pleasantly surprising- it changes what you think you know about what is happening. Again, not seen the third.

The descent is pretty awesome too, infact it really did scare me shitless. The second is needless really, though the scares are there. It has a stupid ending.

They are all decent horrors.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 26478
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 13/9/2012 3:24:40 PM   
MonsterCat

Paranormal Activity 2 (really it should be called Paranormal Inactivity) is one of the most boring, turgid things I have ever had to sit through. It is Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows to Paranormal Activity's Blair Witch Project.

Paranormal Activity 3 was surprisingly decent, though. God knows how much more Paramount can squeeze out of this franchise.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 26479
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/9/2012 10:49:46 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

The trailer for PA4 made me drop my phone

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26480
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/9/2012 1:24:11 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

quote:

Your not wrong about Insidious, i really dont understand the love for this film.
It had a few half decent jump scares but other than that was utter rubbish!
People seem to forget there is a big difference between being made to jump by something sudden and actually getting scared or a feeling of dread from a film.
My fave films of the last 10 years are Paranormal activity (Built the suspense slowly over each nightwith some creepy moments and good scares) and The woman in black (Again, built the tension well and had some VERY disturbing images for a 12 rated film).
Also my fave of all time is The Exorcist

Great post! And yeah Exorcist is certainly up there for the greatest horror film of all time that movie has not lost any of its impact to this day.

Has anyone seen Silent House yet? That is supposed to be one of the better recent horrors.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 26481
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/9/2012 1:38:39 PM   
Whistler

Silent House wasn't bad. Had plenty of chills and managed to hold a near constant tension for the majority of the film, barely giving the audience a chance to breath. Unfortunately it completely fell apart at the end. And yeah, The Exorcist is the greatest horror ever made. I managed to catch it at my local independent cinema earlier this year, it was great

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26482
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/9/2012 7:06:17 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Films don't tend to scare me, Dead Space however....

And Doom!!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 26483
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/9/2012 11:00:27 AM   
Rgirvan44

DREDD is the best comic book movie of the year so far. Which is frankly a huge surprise to me.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 26484
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/9/2012 11:05:59 AM   
chris kilby

I LOVE surprises!

(And I agree with you - how's that for a surprise?)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26485
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/9/2012 11:08:18 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

So DREDD is better than Avengers and TDKR,interesting.

Just for arguments sake,do you reckon DREDD would have been just as good 'if' it had a larger budget?

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 26486
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/9/2012 11:14:20 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Just for arguments sake,do you reckon DREDD would have been just as good 'if' it had a larger budget?

Well I do enjoy both of those films, but they haven't left much of a lasting impact. DREDD on the other hand just feels like a breath of fresh air.

I think the lack of budget REALLY helped this. I loved how Mega City One looked - it makes logical sense to a degree. A city surronded by a desert would be dusty and hot. The social planning which requires massive tower blocks makes sense, and how those blocks function - almost as towns into themselves.

And of course the action. Do I think the movie would have been better with a bigger budget? Not sure I can make that call. All I know is the movie they made was great and one I will be seeing for a third time this weekend.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 15/9/2012 2:30:21 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 26487
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 15/9/2012 11:30:44 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Well I do enjoy both of those films, but they haven't left much of a lasting impact. DREDD on the other hand just feels like a breath of fresh air.

I think the lack of budget REALLY helped this. I loved how Mega City One looked - it makes logical sense to a degree. AS city surronded by a desert would be dusty and hot. The social planning which requires massive tower blocks makes sense, and how those blocks function - almost as towns into themselves.

And of course the action. Do I think the movie would have been better with a bigger budget? Not sure I can make that call. All I know is the movie they made was great and one I will be seeing for a third time this weekend.

Third time ,not bad and its clear the movie has that longevity and that attitude of getting people to keep seeing it.
The estimates of the film are doing really well at the moment too and when the film will be released on DVD/Blur-Ray I,gather, it will do just as well which will all (hopefully) culminate in a sequel

Thinking.I haven't watched any of the comic-book film adaptions this summer.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26488
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/10/2012 12:57:45 PM   
chris kilby

I doubt this is an "unpopular" opinion as such, but what the hell...

The Godfather Part III isn't just "not as good" as the first two, it is unintentionally hilarious in places.

Mosca (The Greatest Hitman in All of Sicily, no less!) takes an entire Italian opera to get Michael Corleone in his sights and still manages to miss him at point-blank range. Plus, when dressed in a priest's cassock, he shoots Don Tomassino and runs away, it is pure Monty Python. As is the sight of that Archbishop plummeting from the top of the Vatican into camera at the end. SPLITTERS! (My sides laughing, I mean.)

Then there's the immortal line: "This Pope has powerful enemies. We may not be in time to save him." [PAUSE] "Let's get back to the opera." Which brought the house down when I saw it at the cinema. I just had an image of Michael and his goons jumping into a car and racing to the Vatican to the tune of tinkly, silent movie chase music!

And as if that wasn't funny enough, the film ends with the dignified sight of the suddenly-aged Michael Corleone (who looks alarmingly like Jimmy Savile - now then, now then!) dropping dead and (prat)falling out of his chair onto the ground with a comedy "crump!" sound effect. After dropping another one of those damned oranges which signify death and clutter the entire trilogy. Pure comedy gold. Or it would be if it wasn't so tragic. Though not in the way Coppola intended.

Ironically, I didn't mind Sophia Coppola so much. Sure, she was pretty hopeless and so clearly out of her depth her very presence fatally holed an already rickety ship, but her obvious awkwardness suited her rather gauche character. Besides, I preferred her "acting" to her deeply pretentious, horribly overrated films as a director. I have a (potentially unpopular?) pet theory that she is the critics' darling cos deep down they still feel collectively guilty about the vicious kicking they gave her for this. Oh, and "The Fur of Sophia Coppola is by Fendi" is one of the funniest on-screen credits of the 90s - Phnaar!

This probably will be unpopular, though. There's still some great stuff in The Godfather Part III. Connie's transformation from brat to floozy to malignant Mafia widow dressed in black (albeit a Mafia widow with a sense of humour) is a wonder to behold. She's the best thing in the film. (I also think Connie knows that Michael had Fredo killed but doesn't want to admit it.) Andy Garcia's good - you really buy him as "Sonny's boy." And Joe Mantegna and Eli Wallach are always good value for money, even if it is impossible to watch Mantegna now without thinking about his Simpsons character! Heck, I even like the "Die Hard-style" (unseen) helicopter massacre. But Garcia chasing Mantegna down the street on a horse (!), maybe less so...

Post #: 26489
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 14/10/2012 7:01:05 PM   
will1000

Cabin In The Woods is not a good film.

(in reply to chris kilby)
Post #: 26490
Page:   <<   < prev  881 882 [883] 884 885   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  881 882 [883] 884 885   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI