Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  880 881 [882] 883 884   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:24:44 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Everything I read and heard about Napoleon Dynamite indicated I would love it but I've watched it twice and still haven't laughed. I didn't disilke the film or anyone in it and even quite enjoyed the story but I just didn't find it funny.
Oh and Dev, surely laughing for a whole 7-8 minutes is quite a lot of laughing? I just tried it and my jaw was aching after 30 seconds.

Netflix use Napoleon Dynamite as their ultimate unpredictable film- they even offered a prize if someone could prefect a predictive algorithm for the site's 'you might also like' that worked out who would like it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 26431
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:32:16 PM   
vad3r

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26432
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:33:20 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Commando.

XXX: The Next Level.

Showdown In Little Tokyo.

These are the best comedies ever made.

Isn't this unpopular opinions not stupid opinions?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 26433
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:34:32 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Commando.

XXX: The Next Level.

Showdown In Little Tokyo.

These are the best comedies ever made.

Isn't this unpopular opinions not stupid opinions?

Don't you ever read this thread?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 26434
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:36:25 PM   
elab49

We generally try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 26435
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:37:25 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

I don't really watch comedy films anyway. The best comedy is found on TV because that's where the best comedy writers are.

Yep, I'd agree with that 100%.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26436
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:38:42 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

We generally try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Maybe ignoring it gives it power.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26437
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 12:43:38 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

I don't really watch comedy films anyway. The best comedy is found on TV because that's where the best comedy writers are.

Do you watch Louie, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family and Community? Those are my favourites still on air.

quote:

Post #: 26438
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 1:11:31 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you watch Louie, Parks and Recreation, Modern Family and Community? Those are my favourites still on air.

Off-Topic, sorry mods, but Delocated is a must-see. My favourite US comedy of all time.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26439
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 7:56:27 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Oh and Dev, surely laughing for a whole 7-8 minutes is quite a lot of laughing? I just tried it and my jaw was aching after 30 seconds.

7-8 minutes is the accumulative funny time found in The Dictator. IE, a funny first five minutes, an amusing Looney Tunes rocket science bit, the Saudi Arabia torture joke and some other bit I already forgot. Hence, 7-8 minutes of laughter.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 26440
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 8:02:43 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

7-8 minutes is the accumulative funny time found in The Dictator. IE, a funny first five minutes, an amusing Looney Tunes rocket science bit, the Saudi Arabia torture joke and some other bit I already forgot. Hence, 7-8 minutes of laughter.

Wait, so there's exactly 7 funny jokes in Borat and 7-8 minutes of funny jokes in The Dictator. What are the 7 funny jokes in Borat?

< Message edited by vad3r -- 6/9/2012 8:03:18 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 26441
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 6/9/2012 8:08:23 PM   
Deviation

If I only could give a damn about remembering them. I know there was a funny dumb moment involving a bear, cockroaches and Jews, the scene where Borat discovers the love of his wife is not a virgin and I forgot.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 26442
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 10/9/2012 4:13:05 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

What was the last great Horror film?
Or one that scared you sh*tless ?

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 10/9/2012 4:19:33 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 26443
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 4:09:43 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Its difficult to define great as sometimes as sometimes that can only be judged over time.

The first Paranormal Activity I thought was a pretty unquiqe take on an old idea, and I found it to be well crafted and truly creepy. IMO it is this decades Blair Witch. Eden Lake was impressive for the most part too as it was unforgiving satire holding a mirror up to the modern world. It had flaws but again as a fresh horror film it felt exciting even if I don't know if I would want to sit through it again any time soon.

Here's an Unpopular Opinion Shame is a much better film then Steve McQueen's debut Hunger. I often hear people say that Shame was impressive up to a point but that it just lacks a little something to make it great, maybe than the plot never devolps the way it should. I disagree I think it is the restraint of the film which partly gives it its edge. It is all about a loss soul trapped in a certain steriotypical male role who lives a double life and comes alive at night. It is also a interesting depiction of New York a far more haunting vision of the city. Fassbender is at his brooding, cold, animalistic best and Mulligan matches him. Whereas Hunger features a wonderful one man show by Fassbender outside of his performance the film leaves me a bit cold.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 26444
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 4:27:41 PM   
horribleives

quote:

The Paranormal Activity films (in particular the third one) scared the crap out of me.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 26445
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 4:37:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I haven't been scared whilst watching a film since I was a child.

I've been creeped out, I've been disgusted and I've been slightly unnerved whilst watching a film but fear is not an emotion that a film can evoke from me.

I think the last time I was truly terrified whilst watching a film would have been the first time I saw the original Nightmare on Elm Street or probably the dream sequence from An American Werewolf in London. Both occasions would have been when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 26446
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 5:16:05 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I haven't watched any of the Paranormal films and that's mainly down to me not liking the home-footage/lost footage type concepts.And that's one of the reasons I found Blair Witch less of a film that creeped me out and more of a film that I found generally annoying to watch.

I think films that did scare me were films when I was growing up (1980's/90's).
My mind and feelings were still in progression and the naivety to which I put these films on culminated in my fears to never go near the VHS player ever again ('ever again' didn't last long mind).
Films like ALIEN,IT,Terminator,JAWS and many other Films around that era,or before it, left me in deep thought to never turn off the lights again.
Now I don't all expect those feelings to occur nowadays because I'm older and experienced but I do want to be scared and creeped out on occasions.

But I suppose that's down to the originality of said above films of the time,and I'm left scratching my head as to what Films of the past 10 years have ever left me feeling alittle worried.

Sure there's a few scenes in films that pop-into my head ie like the creepy crab-position that ('I love rocks!!') Fifield was positioned in Prometheus when the black goo messed with his DNA,along with the creepy Joker laugh in TDK after he announces his intentions of keeping to his word ("I'm a man of my word") and,surprisingly,the Light-sabering butchering of Anakin Skywalker in the final Star Wars prequel film I found very disturbing and out of context with the child-friendly notion the previous prequel films portrayed.

But none of these,even Prometheus, would be considered Horror films and having seen my fair share of modern Horror flicks then I think it is somewhat comical that I haven't even touched upon one scene in these modern Horror movies.Sad state of affairs really.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26447
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 5:25:48 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

Cabin in the Woods

quote:

That one's harder, I think Paranormal Activity/The Orphanage, back in 2007.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

Post #: 26448
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 7:30:18 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I haven't been scared whilst watching a film since I was a child.

I've been creeped out, I've been disgusted and I've been slightly unnerved whilst watching a film but fear is not an emotion that a film can evoke from me.

I think the last time I was truly terrified whilst watching a film would have been the first time I saw the original Nightmare on Elm Street or probably the dream sequence from An American Werewolf in London. Both occasions would have been when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

The only truly scary thing I have seen in the last decade was the girl coming out of the telly in the Japanese original of The Ring - I didn't expect that at all!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26449
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 7:34:34 PM   
Deviation

The final 10 minutes of Rec scared me.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 26450
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 9:13:29 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

Cabin in the Woods
quote:

That one's harder, I think Paranormal Activity/The Orphanage, back in 2007.

Cabin in the Woods was more of a horror comedy which I don't think was meant to be scary. There are certain things in there which work as horror, like the special effects and some sinster voyisusm.

The Orphanage I really liked and was very scary not least at the pictures.

A couple of others from the last decade which stand out for me are Switchblade Romance and A Tale of Two Sisters. The Dutch version of The Verishing is a bit of a masterpiece mind you that was back in 88 now.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 26451
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 9:51:02 PM   
UTB

There's only been 2 moments in recent years where horror movies have made me literally jump. The first being the scene in Paranormal Activity 2 where EVERYTHING OPENS in the kitchen, and the scene in Insidious where the red-faced demon first appears at the dinner table..

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26452
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 9:57:08 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

There's only been 2 moments in recent years where horror movies have made me literally jump. The first being the scene in Paranormal Activity 2 where EVERYTHING OPENS in the kitchen, and the scene in Insidious where the red-faced demon first appears at the dinner table..

Aye, I audibly moaned like a child when that happened. The bathroom scene in the third one and the 'hair' bit shit me right up too.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 26453
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 10:12:32 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

Cabin in the Woods

Cabin in the Woods was more of a horror comedy which I don't think was meant to be scary. There are certain things in there which work as horror, like the special effects and some sinster voyisusm.

To be fair, Rebel did make that distinction by saying that there are films scarier than CITW.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 26454
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 10:26:19 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Paranormal Activity affected my sleep for days after seeing it the first time. The footprints in the talcum powder, the girl being dragged out of bed, the sight of the open door itself when you're waiting for something to happen, it all made for a very effective and terrifying horror movie.

It sucks now, but then I'm very rarely scared by the same thing twice (I'm assuming most of us are like that?), but at the time I was a wreck

The Shining has always been creepy though.

Post #: 26455
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 11:28:41 PM   
MonsterCat

The Descent is the last most recent horror movie to properly shit me up. I was really impressed by how claustrophobic and properly fucking scary it really was. Repeat viewings have lessened its impact somewhat, but it's still really good and Neil Marshall's best film by a country mile.

Blair Witch, The Exorcist and Alien still give me the creeps to this day.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 26456
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 11/9/2012 11:38:43 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

The Descent is the last most recent horror movie to properly shit me up. I was really impressed by how claustrophobic and properly fucking scary it really was. Repeat viewings have lessened its impact somewhat, but it's still really good and Neil Marshall's best film by a country mile.

Blair Witch, The Exorcist and Alien still give me the creeps to this day.

See I found it really difficult to get into the depths of the Blair Witch Project.
The stories lead was just so irritable that ,for me,crowded over the whole point of the film.

Other film-scenes (slowly but surely are coming back into thought) that have sprung to mind are the creepy Pale-Man in Pan's Labyrinth,the Ghost child in Devils Backbone and the Rabbit-suited guy in Donnie Darko.

Off-topic:I would very much like Del Toro to go back to that fantastical fantasy realm in his future works.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26457
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 12:24:03 AM   
Coyleone

I've not been properly scared by a film since I was young. Freaked out and disturbed, yes, but not scared. I'd say the last really good horror film was The House Of The Devil. Then again, that's not saying much because I find most films in the genre to be a bit shitty, and I can't think of more than 3 from the last 20+ years that I thought were actually great films.

The most freaked out I've been in recent memory was Paranormal Activity and Black Swan probably. And as far as being disturbed goes, Snowtown takes the cake by fucking miles. That film felt legit evil from start to finish. It's an incredible piece of film making.

Post #: 26458
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 12:32:43 AM   
MonsterCat

The only feeling House of the Devil elicited from me was utter boredom.

Hey, Ti West, a slow burn pace is a good thing, but you also have to have scary stuff happen, too.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 26459
RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! - 12/9/2012 1:44:42 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

I've not been properly scared by a film since I was young. Freaked out and disturbed, yes, but not scared. I'd say the last really good horror film was The House Of The Devil. Then again, that's not saying much because I find most films in the genre to be a bit shitty, and I can't think of more than 3 from the last 20+ years that I thought were actually great films.

The most freaked out I've been in recent memory was Paranormal Activity and Black Swan probably. And as far as being disturbed goes, Snowtown takes the cake by fucking miles. That film felt legit evil from start to finish. It's an incredible piece of film making.

God, yes. Brilliant film but I'll never watch it again.When I saw it a girl in the cinema had to leave to throw up during the bathroom sequence. I nearly did the same during the grimly matter-of-fact rape scene. And as for the fat woman and the egg sandwich...

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 26460
Page:   <<   < prev  880 881 [882] 883 884   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: YOUR UNPOPULAR OPINION!! Page: <<   < prev  880 881 [882] 883 884   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI