Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Tattoo Thread.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Tattoo Thread. Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 [35] 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 16/11/2012 10:35:26 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

I'm getting my Fringe inspired frog tomorrow! Can't wait as my tattooist had a late cancellation so I jumped at the chance.

fringe frog

in this sort of pose but 90 degrees anti-clockwise so he's facing upwards:

http://thisishonduras.com/images/Fauna/treefrog.jpg

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 16/11/2012 10:36:20 AM >

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 1021
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 16/11/2012 11:10:33 AM   
jonson

That'll look great muckymuckman, photos please!!

The2ndring - love the wording. It's just clicked actually - Blind Melon. It was going round in my head and I couldn't place the song.

I'm having more added a week tomorrow. This will finish off 1 shoulder I'm hoping, then onto the next one.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 1022
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 16/11/2012 6:16:17 PM   
sharkboy

Is this the first session with Matt, jonson? You definitely have to let us see some pics! I'm trying to decide what to get next - some seriously good US artists are coming to the Liverpool convention next year, and I'm considering whether or not to try to book a session, or just hold out for more Japanese work on the legs

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1023
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 29/11/2012 2:05:13 PM   
Joshimama

I have a big tiger tattoo on the right side of my body...it starts around my right breast and goes all the way down till my knee, covering half of my right butt.

I get a lot of people asking me if I regret my tattoo, The answer is NO. In fact I'm still very content about it and proud to have it. I'd love to post mine. But I'm afraid the picture might be a bit inappropriate fot the thread. So here's the link http://www.killerhotgirls.com/hotgirl/932/like-the-tattoo?.html . It's the one in the middle.

I have another quote tattoo at the back of my neck. But I still haven't been able to get a decent shot of it. I'll try to get one later and post it on here.

~~Destroy what destroys you ~~

(in reply to Domilly)
Post #: 1024
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 21/12/2012 4:06:40 PM   
talpacino

Tattoo number 3.

The outlining was fine but it stung like fuck down towards the elbow and up near the pit when filling in.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 12/7/2013 12:57:19 PM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Joshimama)
Post #: 1025
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 28/12/2012 8:12:54 PM   
sharkboy

Like it Tal - very nice work! Who did this one? And yeah, inner arm areas can be a right pain :) Once saw a guy at a convention getting his whole armpit tattooed - I think I felt sorrier for the tattooist than the recipient; 4 hours of close work in the guys pit couldn't have been pleasant!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 28/12/2012 8:13:35 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1026
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 1/1/2013 12:38:38 AM   
talpacino

Sorry man, just saw your post. That was by Paulo in Skin City in Dublin, really sound chap. Around 2 and a half hours of work, I thought the ribs was bad but I think this was worse. Worth it though.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1027
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 3/1/2013 10:22:13 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Is this the first session with Matt, jonson? You definitely have to let us see some pics!

No, I've not yet booked anything in with Matt yet. I had my lettering done at the same place before Christmas. I was really pleased with it, I asked for Old Typewriter typeface and the girl who did it made a lovely job (I wanted it to look like the script )
This about finishes my Jaws tattoo off (for now )

Matt is designing a HR Geiger inspired piece for my arm. I want something completely different and am quite excited as to what he is going to come up with. I think I'll probably have that done in Feb/March.

Tal - love the arm tattoo

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1028
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/1/2013 11:24:53 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

That'll look great muckymuckman, photos please!!

Here you go Jonson, sorry for the delay.

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 23/1/2013 11:45:29 PM >

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1029
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 24/4/2013 11:11:39 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

Had another addition to my planned sleeve done yesterday, my real ale inspired Green Hop Man:

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

Post #: 1030
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 25/4/2013 1:44:14 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm feeling the need for a new tattoo.....it's been nearly two years since my last relapse

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 1031
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/4/2013 1:16:54 PM   
sharkboy

I know that feeling all too well! Unfortunately the tattoo fund is a little light at the minute as saving for holidays is taking preference. However I do hope to get something on my left calf to compliment the kirin on the right - the artist who did that one (Ching from East Tattoo, Taiwan) is taking bookings for his next trip to the UK but its when I'm away in September - dammit!

YFU - there are some top conventions coming up soon and they can often provide a great opportunity to get some work from the top names without the tedious necessity of sitting on a 2-3 year waiting list. I was at the Liverpool convention last May and there were at least 5-6 of the world's finest accepting walk-up appointments - if only I'd known in advance!

WWLD?

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1032
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 22/5/2013 3:28:44 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

So I got my 2nd tattoo within a month yesterday. That'll be it for a while.

Animal from the Muppets with Chestburster bursting out of his chest.

< Message edited by MuckyMuckMan -- 22/5/2013 3:29:36 PM >

My Film Collection:
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1033
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 22/5/2013 3:34:05 PM   
Hobbitonlass

That's awesome Mucky!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 1034
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 14/6/2013 9:51:36 AM   
Chief

Sharky, if you're still knocking about, what do you know about tattoo kit?

I've made a decision that there's nothing more personal than letting my wife tattoo me. She's a pretty good artist and once she's had some practice and decided on a design I'll let her loose on my skin.

So, I'm looking to get a kit for home. This website seems pretty comprehensive: http://www.tattookit.co.uk/ but it still looks a total minefield. Price isn't too critical, all the gear will still be a lot less than paying a pro hundreds. Something like this has caught my eye: http://www.tattookit.co.uk/product810/Professional%20Tattoo%20Kit%202

Any advice welcome.

Post #: 1035
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 14/6/2013 10:20:12 AM   
sharkboy

In all honesty, I'd say avoid like the plague. The kits available online to the general public are all pretty dodgy in the extreme. Any reputable supplier will only sell to licensed artists; the kits on sites like this tend to be shitty Chinese knock-offs. Even more so than the tattoo machines themselves, cheap tattoo ink is so not recommended - the pigmentation and other ingredients can cause serious skin reactions. I've seem some very nasty photos of what happens when you take a bad reaction to cheap ink - it ain't pretty! Then on top of al this, you've got the issue of disposal of clinical waste, cross-contamination, blood-born pathogens etc to consider. At the end of the day, there's a damn good reason that artists have to have a certificate from Environmental Health before they can even open shop!

Also, as good an artist as your wife may be, there's a skill in tattooing that just isn't picked up without training - that's why most (if not all) good tattooists will have got to where they are by following an apprenticeship for a few years before even thinking about putting needle to skin. Even aside from the artistic skills, there are all the technical aspects to learn - how to set up the machine, the different techniques to using shaders and liners, when to use magnums, whether to use rotaries or coils...the list goes on.

It's a nice thought, it really is, but my advice to you would be to have her draw a design for you then take it down to the local tattooists to have it emblazoned on your body. It still retains that personal meaning, but without the added risk.

Sorry that this probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but better to learn this before you waste money on the kit and the possible cost of having the tattoo covered by a trained and licensed artist at a later stage! There's a saying that artists often use - "Good tattoos aren't cheap. Cheap tattoos aren't good"

WWLD?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1036
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 14/6/2013 10:25:12 AM   
Chief

Bubble. Burst.

Only kidding mate, appreciate the advice. But still,

Post #: 1037
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 12/7/2013 9:49:16 AM   
StaceyB

Here's my selection....chronological order....

and since January......

Just have a teeny bit to go and it's done......."Someone who loves you" written in the ditch, a couple more leaves added and some shading round chewie and I'm finished.

oh and I also have a lightning bolt behind my left ear and the deathly hallows symbol behind my right.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1038
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 12/7/2013 11:45:37 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Wow, they're awesome Stacey!  Welcome to the boards!!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to StaceyB)
Post #: 1039
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 12/7/2013 11:51:04 AM   
StaceyB

aw, cheers mate ! Just been looking through all the other pics, there's some crackers on here......but not many traditional/old school ones like mine....I know a lot of people aren't fans of them but I love looking like a sailor! :)

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 1040
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 12/7/2013 11:54:55 AM   
Chief

That Boushh tattoo is phenomenal. Well done.

Post #: 1041
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 12/7/2013 11:57:34 AM   
StaceyB

thanks, will post a decent pic of it up when I have it finished off in August.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1042
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 12/7/2013 1:04:46 PM   
From_Hell

Awesome Stacey, love your Star Wars sleeve!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to StaceyB)
Post #: 1043
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/7/2013 10:18:21 AM   
jonson

Nice work Stacey!

So, I'm still re thinking and re designing my tattoo.
Started off going down a HR Giger route, one of my favourite artists, I was quite obsessed with his stuff as an Art student (back in the 90's ) and have had a couple of attempts of doing my own piece in his style, but I'm just not happy with it (it was heavily based on the Alien designs)
I am now thinking of scrapping that idea because I really like the Trash Polka designs, or at least nicking the ideas for my own thing. Possibly based around Jimi Hendrix (a common tattoo I know) but I may throw in a few musical influences of mine (Sub Pop, Hendrix, Black Crowes etc) and see what turns up. I quite like the cartoony effect of the style, and I want to throw a bit of colour in.
I have a friend who thinks the Trash Polka stuff will look naff in a few years, but I've never tattooed for anyone else, just me, and I can cover it up or have something different in a few years, so I'm not going to let that sway me.
Any thoughts would be welcome, but probably won't change my opinion

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 1044
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/7/2013 1:54:04 PM   
sharkboy

I have to admit, I'm still unconvinced by trash polka. I've seen some stunning pieces that were well designed and executed, and some others that just looked slap-dash. If you're still going for Oddboy as your tattooist, I've no doubt that his work will fall into the former category. I've seen one of his Hendrix tattoos before, and it was an amazing piece of art - I'll try and track down a pic.

As for the longevity of the design, I'm with you on this one. A few years ago it was all tribal. Then it was old skool/new skool, Day of the Dead girls and gypsy designs. Now realism is the big thing and trash polka is on the rise. But despite these changes in trends, not one person that I know hates their tattoo for being out of fashion. If the design is bespoke and has a particular meaning for you, then that's reason enough to go for it IMO.

WWLD?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1045
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/7/2013 2:17:26 PM   
jonson

Thanks mate. I agree, I have no worry about it going "out of fashion" as that's not any interest at all. I want something personal but different. I do like the Day of the Dead tats, more so the colour than anything.
I've seen Oddboy's Hendrix tattoos, his realism work is incredible, sadly he's booked up full this year, but I'm prepared to wait. He was really excited when I told him I wanted a Giger piece, he may yet not want to do, for example, anything in the trash polka area, as he can afford to pick and choose his clients.
I really like Jeff Palumba's tattoo designs and I'm a big fan of Roy Lichenstein so perhaps something on those lines.
As you said though, it doesn't matter, I'll have no regrets, I can always Tippex the fucker out.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1046
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/7/2013 4:49:38 PM   
Dannybohy

Not mine, a friends.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 23/7/2013 4:50:25 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1047
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/7/2013 5:08:22 PM   
jonson

Ah, yes, something similar. I've seen loads of Li tattoos, I like them but would rather have something a bit different.
Very nice work though

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 1048
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 24/7/2013 2:06:54 PM   
StaceyB

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Nice work Stacey!

So, I'm still re thinking and re designing my tattoo.
Started off going down a HR Giger route, one of my favourite artists, I was quite obsessed with his stuff as an Art student (back in the 90's ) and have had a couple of attempts of doing my own piece in his style, but I'm just not happy with it (it was heavily based on the Alien designs)
I am now thinking of scrapping that idea because I really like the Trash Polka designs, or at least nicking the ideas for my own thing. Possibly based around Jimi Hendrix (a common tattoo I know) but I may throw in a few musical influences of mine (Sub Pop, Hendrix, Black Crowes etc) and see what turns up. I quite like the cartoony effect of the style, and I want to throw a bit of colour in.
I have a friend who thinks the Trash Polka stuff will look naff in a few years, but I've never tattooed for anyone else, just me, and I can cover it up or have something different in a few years, so I'm not going to let that sway me.
Any thoughts would be welcome, but probably won't change my opinion

Cheers man :)

A mate has a full Giger inspired back piece, not sure where he had it done but it's all kinds of awesome, do that!! ;)

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1049
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 27/8/2013 2:34:48 PM   
StaceyB

Got my arm finished on Sat :)

(in reply to StaceyB)
Post #: 1050
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 34 [35] 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Tattoo Thread. Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 [35] 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI