Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Tattoo Thread.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Tattoo Thread. Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 2:44:34 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

Booked in to Pagan Ink in Dunfermline to get a spartan helmet with Molon Labe written underneath against a tribal background. Would post a pic but i don't know how. Anyway, later in the year i'm gonna get a Roman Eagle/SPQR standard on the same arm. My other arm will be a tribute to Queen( best band in the world)...
]

Is it with Craig MacLaren? I've seen some of the stuff he does on Facebook and it looks pretty good. I remember him years ago talking about setting up as a tattoo artist.

I got my last one done in Creation but I think my next will be from Craig.

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 991
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 2:50:32 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

A question for sharky, or anyone else in the know about these things.

What's a good resource for finding decent inkers in your area (or any area really I guess)? Is there a reputable website with ratings and the like that I can peruse or perhaps a monthly mag or something I can get hold of?

My next new tat is definitely going to be Sandman related so I want a reputable inker to be doing it. I've always been frightened of getting anything based on a recognisable character done in case it looks nothing like it should so I really want to make sure whoever's doing it has got a good rep.

www.tattoo.tv is a great site for all things tattoo-related.  The forums are very friendly and there's lots of top artists who frequent the place.  I'm sure the good folk over there will be more than happy to give you some recommendations, but for comic-related tatts (and given your location), I would highly recommend Chris Frickin' Jones at Physical Graffiti in Cardiff.  He's a bloody nutcase (but in a good way), but loves that kind of work and will give you a masterpiece.  Check him out at www.physicalgraffiti.co.uk

For UK-based magazines, I'd recommend either Total Tattoo or Tattoo Revolution.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 992
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 3:12:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Cheers sharky. Chris Jones' gallery is amazing.

If I can't find anywhere in the Liverpool/Manchester area I'll deffo consider Physical Graffiti. Unfortunately with the transport infrastructure being what it is in north and mid Wales I could get to London quicker than I could get to Cardiff  (I laugh but it's actually true). Still, the Bill Murray and Death from Bill & Ted tats in the gallery tell me it'll be worth the hassle.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 993
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 3:20:36 PM   
jonson

Got my barrels added, went to Jon Mesa at Sacred Tattoo in New York. He's appeared on a few tattoo shows on TV, was a really nice guy and made a cracking job (pictures to follow....)
The downside is I'm now in Barbados and can't get it in the sun or swim in the pool for 2 more days

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 994
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 3:25:32 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Got my barrels added, went to Jon Mesa at Sacred Tattoo in New York. He's appeared on a few tattoo shows on TV, was a really nice guy and made a cracking job (pictures to follow....)
The downside is I'm now in Barbados and can't get it in the sun or swim in the pool for 2 more days

First World Problems.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 995
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 3:30:01 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

First World Problems.

Fuck off, have you any idea how hot it is here?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 996
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 26/7/2012 3:33:04 PM   
Chief

I honestly feel your pain, I shall light a candle for you.

Post #: 997
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 27/7/2012 8:50:22 AM   
Le Tenia

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

Booked in to Pagan Ink in Dunfermline to get a spartan helmet with Molon Labe written underneath against a tribal background. Would post a pic but i don't know how. Anyway, later in the year i'm gonna get a Roman Eagle/SPQR standard on the same arm. My other arm will be a tribute to Queen( best band in the world)...
]

Is it with Craig MacLaren? I've seen some of the stuff he does on Facebook and it looks pretty good. I remember him years ago talking about setting up as a tattoo artist.

I got my last one done in Creation but I think my next will be from Craig.

Think the guy's name is Ian. Felt he really understood what i was after. Cannae wait...

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 998
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 27/7/2012 8:54:25 AM   
Chief

Aw the best!

Post #: 999
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 1/8/2012 5:09:20 PM   
jonson

Shit photo, the barrels are yellow but they don't seem to look yellow in the picture.
Finishes it off nicely though, even if it did cost me 3 days out of the sun/swimming pool/sea

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1000
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 18/8/2012 8:19:30 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Had a tattoo on my foot today and bloody love it but can't post a picture as still in Belfast with Mr and Mrs Sharky

It was fucking excruciating but was told I took it like a man

Will post a pic when I get home!

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 19/8/2012 10:13:03 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1001
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 19/8/2012 10:13:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Pic as promised!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 1002
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 8:14:25 AM   
jonson

Hey, I really like that

Post #: 1003
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 9:25:07 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Cheers jonson!

Sharky and I were talking about yours when I was waiting to have mine done on Sat! I had a real d'oh moment as I thought that you'd drawn it on but Sharky explained why it was like that Inspired!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1004
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 9:34:57 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Shit photo, the barrels are yellow but they don't seem to look yellow in the picture.
Finishes it off nicely though, even if it did cost me 3 days out of the sun/swimming pool/sea

So you're saying you couldn't go in the water for 3 days because of a shark?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1005
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 9:44:05 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Sweet tatt Hobs

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1006
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 9:58:57 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

So you're saying you couldn't go in the water for 3 days because of a shark?

yeah pretty much, ironic isn't it.
And even after 3 days, when I went in the water, I'm looking around for fins, shitting myself because I've watched too many shark programmes.

quote:

Sharky and I were talking about yours when I was waiting to have mine done on Sat! I had a real d'oh moment as I thought that you'd drawn it on but Sharky explained why it was like that

I'll post a better picture at some point as it looks really crud in that.

Slightly Off Topic, but the amount of people who ask "does it hurt?"
I say yes, it does. It's hardly torture, nor so excruciating they have to stop, but anyone who says it doens't hurt are lying.
Or is that just me?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1007
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 10:16:51 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

I say yes, it does. It's hardly torture, nor so excruciating they have to stop, but anyone who says it doens't hurt are lying.
Or is that just me?

Nope, it was fucking painful on the foot but I gritted my teeth and as soon as it was over it was forgotten!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1008
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 20/8/2012 10:24:56 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Or is that just me?

Nope, it was fucking painful on the foot but I gritted my teeth and as soon as it was over it was forgotten!

I'd say the foot would be fairly sore because of the bones, I've heard people saying something similar about the ribs being painful. The thought of it makes me squirm. I've got one on my inner forearm and yeah it hurt a little at first but it was fine really, just a little scratchy and almost a good pain.

Nice looking tattoos Jonson and Hobbs.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 1009
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 1:13:09 PM   
From_Hell

Can anyone help with a little inspiration? I'd like to get an Indiana Jones-themed half sleeve, but I just can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm not a fan of portraits (too much risk in case they don't come out just right) so I don't really want a portrait of Indy. I can't find any similar Indy-themed tattoos or sleeves on the internet that would give me something to work with. Has anyone got any ideas? Some images I can start with to fire off the old creative juices? 

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1010
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 1:23:56 PM   
Chief

Post #: 1011
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 1:35:15 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

Thanks mate, very tempting! Not sure if it would go down so well with my 2 year old daughter!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1012
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 1:42:06 PM   
sharkboy

There are plenty of excellent portrait artists out there who could more than do an Indy sleeve justice - there was an excellent Indy portrait done at this year's Liverpool convention which actually scooped one of the top prizes that weekend.  If you let me know where you are based, I could suggest a few names for you.

Otherwise, if you're determined not to go for realism, why not get a Lego Indy sleeve instead?  All those classic moments recreated in Lego!  I've seen a Lego Star Wars sleeve done already and it looked brilliant

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1013
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 2:06:33 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

quote:

Thanks mate, very tempting! Not sure if it would go down so well with my 2 year old daughter!

Shit! Sorry mate, I didn't realise it was her that was getting it. Probably go for a Lego one like Sharky said.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 1014
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 2:12:32 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

There are plenty of excellent portrait artists out there who could more than do an Indy sleeve justice - there was an excellent Indy portrait done at this year's Liverpool convention which actually scooped one of the top prizes that weekend.  If you let me know where you are based, I could suggest a few names for you.

Otherwise, if you're determined not to go for realism, why not get a Lego Indy sleeve instead?  All those classic moments recreated in Lego!  I've seen a Lego Star Wars sleeve done already and it looked brilliant

Thanks Mr. Shark. I'm not 100% averse to the idea of a portrait, it's just that, in my opinion, portraits really need to come out spot-on else they can look a little... off... I'm based in Oxfordshire, I've used Atomic Tattoos in Bicester and Evolution in Kidlington, both with very good results but if you have any recommendations that would be great.

I'm not so convinced about a Lego sleeve. I'm thinking of a collage of pictures - a silhouette of Indy, the Ark, Lao Che's plane, the Holy Grail, the amulet from Raiders, a snake, the music notes for the Raiders march, maybe with a world map as a background or something.

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1015
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 2:13:07 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shit! Sorry mate, I didn't realise it was her that was getting it. Probably go for a Lego one like Sharky said.

Love the idea of a lego tattoo.  Just googled it and there are some great ones out there!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1016
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 2:16:56 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, it's what she's been asking for, so we're going to let her have a nice back piece for her third birthday

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1017
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 2:52:10 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

Thanks Mr. Shark. I'm not 100% averse to the idea of a portrait, it's just that, in my opinion, portraits really need to come out spot-on else they can look a little... off... I'm based in Oxfordshire, I've used Atomic Tattoos in Bicester and Evolution in Kidlington, both with very good results but if you have any recommendations that would be great.

I'm not so convinced about a Lego sleeve. I'm thinking of a collage of pictures - a silhouette of Indy, the Ark, Lao Che's plane, the Holy Grail, the amulet from Raiders, a snake, the music notes for the Raiders march, maybe with a world map as a background or something.

I can certainly make a few enquiries for you - how far are you willing to travel for a shit-hot realism artist?

If you don't like the Lego idea, what about your map background, with the red lines across it for travel and at each stop along the way, tattoo something that represents that scene?  So beside the dot in Brazil you have the golden idol from the opening scene, at Singapore you have Lao Che's plane or the Club Obi Wan sign, over the Himalayas the sacred stones, Petra for the Holy Grail etc?

WWLD?

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 1018
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 23/10/2012 4:54:24 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

I can certainly make a few enquiries for you - how far are you willing to travel for a shit-hot realism artist?

If you don't like the Lego idea, what about your map background, with the red lines across it for travel and at each stop along the way, tattoo something that represents that scene?  So beside the dot in Brazil you have the golden idol from the opening scene, at Singapore you have Lao Che's plane or the Club Obi Wan sign, over the Himalayas the sacred stones, Petra for the Holy Grail etc?

If the artist is shit hot then I'm happy to travel pretty much anywhere whithin the UK. It's going to be my last tattoo, so I want it to be good. Your suggestion about the map background sounds good. I have a t-shirt with a similar theme, so I could use that as inspiration. Thanks!

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1019
RE: The Tattoo Thread. - 25/10/2012 7:56:49 PM   
The2ndRing

I had this one done fairly recently :)

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: The Tattoo Thread. Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI